post #7201 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

If this is Sony's way of "encouraging" me to use Music Unlimited, I don't appreciate it. I have a subscription now, but I only paid $12 for it. If I can renew for the same price, I'll bite -- but it's not worth $60/year to me. I understand that physical media is on the way out, but you would think that Sony would try to extend the lifespan of a format that they created (along with Philips) by supporting playback in as many devices as possible (I admit that I can't remember the last time I bought a CD and that my collection is already on an external drive).

I got that special deal for Music Unlimited as well and dislike the service so much I wouldn't even renew for $12/year. In fact, I bought a smart blu-ray player for my bedroom a few months ago just so I could move my Roku into the living room so I can use the Pandora app on it.

That the PS4 won't play audio CDs, MP3 files, and will not support DLNA media servers or external HDDs is such an incomprehensible step backwards I don't even know that I'll be making the next-gen jump until it's addressed. Prettier graphics and social media integration and a few convenience features just aren't enough for me to justify a switch. Maybe it's time to start thinking about a gaming HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7202 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 237
I have 19,558 MP3s in my collection, ain't no no way I'm paying for a music subscription when I have that much music I can listen to for free. Plus, since I'm a movie score collector, these services never seem to have a good collection of movie scores, especially if they are older scores.

Seriously, this no MP3 news has killed my excitement (for now at least) and if they had announced this back in June I'd probably have an Xbox One on pre-order right now. I'm not going to cancel my order, especially since I have already bought 2 games from the PSN and can't get that money back, but this seriously makes me regret getting a PS4.

They are trying to force us to use there stupid music service and it makes me sick.

Is this thing going to have any other apps at launch like Netflix or Amazon or Vudu, don't remember seeing much about that kind of stuff yet? Maybe Sony will just try and force us to use the PSN for movies and TV shows as well. If something like that happens then I probably will just cancel my order and eat the cost of the games. Thanks for ruining my day Sony.
Reddig likes this.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #7203 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 613
That would be crazy if they didn't have Netflix, Vudu, etc. at launch. I would think most people are expecting the major streaming services to be available at launch on the new systems.
freemeat likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #7204 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfame View Post

Now the REAL Sony is starting to show her true colors.

This is what I was afraid was going to happen. Sony had been coy with a lot of things on this console, only focusing on the stuff that would get their fans excited. Sooner or later the bad news has to come out, and it looks like it's starting to pour out. With the way things have gone between the resolution issues on Xbox and now all this stuff on PS4, I am starting to feel like a genius for cancelling both pre-orders a few months back.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #7205 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

That would be crazy if they didn't have Netflix, Vudu, etc. at launch. I would think most people are expecting the major streaming services to be available at launch on the new systems.

Well, until today, I would have said the same thing about MP3s.

They haven't actually said that apps like Netflix will be available at launch. Why hold news like that unless it is bad news?

post #7206 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I have 19,558 MP3s in my collection, ain't no no way I'm paying for a music subscription when I have that much music I can listen to for free. Plus, since I'm a movie score collector, these services never seem to have a good collection of movie scores, especially if they are older scores.

Seriously, this no MP3 news has killed my excitement (for now at least) and if they had announced this back in June I'd probably have an Xbox One on pre-order right now. I'm not going to cancel my order, especially since I have already bought 2 games from the PSN and can't get that money back, but this seriously makes me regret getting a PS4.

They are trying to force us to use there stupid music service and it makes me sick.

Is this thing going to have any other apps at launch like Netflix or Amazon or Vudu, don't remember seeing much about that kind of stuff yet? Maybe Sony will just try and force us to use the PSN for movies and TV shows as well. If something like that happens then I probably will just cancel my order and eat the cost of the games. Thanks for ruining my day Sony.

Shuhei already acknowledged peoples displeasure on twitter, in a pretty innocuousness way , so maybe it's more a "who would want that" oversight than a specifically omit issue.

They didn't even have Bluray or DVD playback out of box, so I hopefully it'll just be a quick update and "move along, nothing to see here" situation.

PSN: futurecode
post #7207 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 707
I see lack of DLNA at launch...not cool. Not a deal breaker but still.
post #7208 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 02:34 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
So does this mean I could technically use any headset with an inline-mic, say like a pair of Beats with an inline-mic, or Apple EarPods, if I just plug them into the 3.5mm jack on the DS4? Game audio AND chat capability?

Sid Shuman: (Sony Social Manager) Yes, this should work in most cases, but it’s not guaranteed

If it's HQ sound coming through the controller, I won't be as off-put by the lack of BT headset / ear piece compatibility.
post #7209 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 169
So the company that decided to put GAMES first and was praised for it in the beginning are now criticized for their game console not playing MP3's? Alright, that makes perfect sense.

In all seriousness, I don't know of many people who stream their music library in the background when playing a game. Any game for that matter (SP, MP, etc.). I may have used it once or twice on the 360 but the novelty wore off quickly. It's certainly not going to make me cancel my preorder or anything. I love how every minor negative thing that comes along has a few people jumping ship or canceling their preorder. Over-dramatic much?
darthrsg, Bikerduck and d_m1010 like this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #7210 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 02:37 PM

Well that was quick!

As long as we put pressure on them, I think we'll be good. There's no technical reason for the lack of these features.
post #7211 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

"Future consideration"... like how they are still considering party chat for the PS3. BS response and doesn't sound promising at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

I may have used it once or twice on the 360 but the novelty wore off quickly.

Not everyone is like you. I used the feature all the time.
Big Brad and americangunner like this.

post #7212 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 02:49 PM

Liked: 13
There is no "at launch" quantifier to MP3, DLNA and external hard drive support. They are reasonably clear in that FAQ to state what features are coming later and which are simply not supported.

Yoshida's most recent tweet on the matter just acknowledges people are PO'd, not that Sony has any intention of changing course as far as removing features in an attempt to force adoption of their subscription services.

Cheers
post #7213 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:

"Future consideration"... like how they are still considering party chat for the PS3. BS response and doesn't sound promising at all.

Problem is cross game chat was near impossible on PS3 without being a feature at launch. It's something that needs to allocated and implemented at the OS level. Anyone that was just more than hopeful they'd find a way eventually were kidding themselves.

Adding DLNA or a simple MP3 player shouldn't be much of an issue. Especially since they don't need to tie directly into games.
post #7214 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Hint at Naughty Dog's next game?

https://twitter.com/DBal/status/395627485619961857

Make it similar to Firefly or Cowboy Beebop and they have my attention.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #7215 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

So the company that decided to put GAMES first and was praised for it in the beginning are now criticized for their game console not playing MP3's? Alright, that makes perfect sense.

In all seriousness, I don't know of many people who stream their music library in the background when playing a game. Any game for that matter (SP, MP, etc.). I may have used it once or twice on the 360 but the novelty wore off quickly. It's certainly not going to make me cancel my preorder or anything. I love how every minor negative thing that comes along has a few people jumping ship or canceling their preorder. Over-dramatic much?

As a next gen console, no one expected Sony to take such a huge step backward in terms of basic media support features. I'm sure a lot of people like me simply took for granted it would do what the PS3 did and then some.

Every entertainment device in my house that has a USB/SD card slot can play media from it. Every device in my house that has a disc drive can play CDs. Every media device in my house that connects to the internet/router can stream media either from PC or cloud server, though that's not the primary reason I bought it. Why can't the biggest and bestest thing in next-gen gaming consoles do it?
post #7216 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Problem is cross game chat was near impossible on PS3 without being a feature at launch. It's something that needs to allocated and implemented at the OS level. Anyone that was just more than hopeful they'd find a way eventually were kidding themselves.

Adding DLNA or a simple MP3 player shouldn't be much of an issue. Especially since they don't need to tie directly into games.

Well, I don't care about any technical limitations or not. The only thing "future consideration" says to me is that at some point int he future they may sit down and talk about it, it's not even close to "we'll add in the future". For all we know, after they "consider" it, the answer will still be no.

post #7217 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

As a next gen console, no one expected Sony to take such a huge step backward in terms of basic media support features. I'm sure a lot of people like me simply took for granted it would do what the PS3 did and then some.

Every entertainment device in my house that has a USB/SD card slot can play media from it. Every device in my house that has a disc drive can play CDs. Every media device in my house that connects to the internet/router can stream media either from PC or cloud server, though that's not the primary reason I bought it. Why can't the biggest and bestest thing in next-gen gaming consoles do it?

Exactly!!

My cheap throwaway $35 DVD player in my kids bedroom can play a MP3 CD but the newest and coolest $400 electronic device on the market can't touch those files. At this point, the first PlayStation had more media support because it could play CDs.
Bigfame likes this.

post #7218 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:

Well, I don't care about any technical limitations or not. The only thing "future consideration" says to me is that at some point int he future they may sit down and talk about it, it's not even close to "we'll add in the future". For all we know, after they "consider" it, the answer will still be no.

If it means my game machine does its job as a game machine flawlessly on launch, so be it. Writing and supporting a band new OS from the ground up can't be a small task, especially since they couldn't port the XMB over.

I do expect long term support and more features too. But for now, worry about doing launch right, rather than doing a thousand things and getting them half right IMO.

Sonys added a heck of a lot of extra compatibility, support, and value to the PS3. I wouldn't go crazy just yet, specially since they've already shown they are more in touch with what their fans and partners are asking of them this go around. Raise hell to make sure they do feel the pressure and follow through, but it's not the end of the world for me yet.
post #7219 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathindustrial View Post

There is no "at launch" quantifier to MP3, DLNA and external hard drive support. They are reasonably clear in that FAQ to state what features are coming later and which are simply not supported.

Yoshida's most recent tweet on the matter just acknowledges people are PO'd, not that Sony has any intention of changing course as far as removing features in an attempt to force adoption of their subscription services.

Cheers

I see you have the same name and shtick here as B3D. MP3 and DLNA are software, features that can be added to the OS. The lists of said features added to the PS3 and 360 OS is huge, no doubt they will be as big this gen on both the PS4 and XB1. They are rushing to get the damn things stable to ship. MS can't get snapping working, a basic feature they are advertising. So people need to calm down. Feel free to bug Sony publicly to apply pressure, but stop the FUD that launch features are permanent.
Drlink likes this.

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #7220 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 528
https://twitter.com/yosp/status/395661158205501440
Quote:
Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp

Thanks for the feedback to the lack of MP3 and DLNA support at the launch of PS4. I'll share with the PS4 Dev team for future consideration.
post #7221 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Not being able to play MP3's stinks. I guess I'll have to set up a couple of computer speakers connected to my MP3 player just in order to have background music in certain games.

I don't understand why developers will specifically have to support PS3 arcade sticks. I'm glad it's at least an option over here but I don't understand why they're going to have to go out of their way to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

If it means my game machine does its job as a game machine flawlessly on launch, so be it. Writing and supporting a band new OS from the ground up can't be a small task, especially since they couldn't port the XMB over.

I do expect long term support and more features too. But for now, worry about doing launch right, rather than doing a thousand things and getting them half right IMO.

Hard to imagine what's now such a basic feature having given them any trouble or been necessary to cut in order to meet their launch timetable on more pressing matters.

It doesn't play audio CD's and MP3's because they're pushing this subscription service.
post #7222 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Shu confirms the PS4 has a hardware scaler.

https://mobile.twitter.com/yosp/status/395668915201667072

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #7223 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 03:59 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

Ugh, sucko....DLNA not available. Glad I'm keeping my PS3.

Big problem here too. PS3 DLNA is the way I show the family all my digital images that are residing on my desktop PC. Crushing news!!!!
Reddig likes this.
post #7224 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Basic multimedia features like being able to play your CD or MP3 personal music library, streaming within your home network, playing DVD and BD movies, are now considered baseline functions of a home console. Sony has been marketing their home console this way for 7 years now and folks like me expect it.

Look at what they announced. No you can't use an MP3, no you can't play a CD, no you can't stream from your PC, but we're happy to announce this lovely paid subscription service to take the place of using music you already own, and listen to, for free. CD playback I'll give because that tech is going away, but, no streaming my own stuff at home? It's silly to think this is for any other reason than to sell some subscriptions to the MU service. It's dumb and Sony deserves every bit of flack they catch over it. I'm going to see what happens over the next week or so but a non answer, or if they stick to this silly path, will easily make me wait till Spring to see how everything shakes out.
Leo_Ames and Bigfame like this.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #7225 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Hard to imagine what's now such a basic feature having given them any trouble or been necessary to cut in order to meet their launch timetable on more pressing matters.

It doesn't play audio CD's and MP3's because they're pushing this subscription service.

If thats the case (and I fear so too) they gone done goofed. Screw Sony Music/Pictures.

90% of the blog comments are mentioning MP3, CD, and DLNA playback. At least we know they know. Guess well find out how much they're listening to gamers.

smile.gif
post #7226 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I suppose I came off a bit standoffish in my previous post (that's what I get for being in a hurry and posting from my phone). I understand that a lot of people use the music streaming feature and to them, this stinks. I meant merely to poke a little fun at the over dramatic nature of such announcements, which while certain criticism is understandable, the melodrama that ensues can be over the top.

Bottom line, in my opinion, is if the lack of MP3 support is one of the issues we have to complain about, then I'd say that is trivial in the grand scheme of things.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #7227 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

What you say is true, but as a very strong xbox proponent you already know the 360 had no video, music, or photo playback ability and neither will the Xbone.

Well, I'm not a very strong xbox proponent and I owned all three systems last gen even if I did most of my gaming on the 360. And the 360 did have a gimped network streaming option (Media Center) but you could still do it and you could certainly load it up with a ton of music so I'm not sure where you're getting that. I've never looked at photos on either system but played movies back on both and listened to music through both.

I'm curious to see what the XO's music capability and network player options are.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #7228 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

I suppose I came off a bit standoffish in my previous post (that's what I get for being in a hurry and posting from my phone). I understand that a lot of people use the music streaming feature and to them, this stinks. I meant merely to poke a little fun at the over dramatic nature of such announcements, which while certain criticism is understandable, the melodrama that ensues can be over the top.

Bottom line, in my opinion, is if the lack of MP3 support is one of the issues we have to complain about, then I'd say that is trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Your post was perfectly fine. We're having a friendly debate smile.gif

The problem is they switched out all the avenues to play your personal music for nothing, replacing it with a subscription service so you can pay again to use something you already bought. Lack of DLNA affects lots more than that. I wonder when the "Hey, here's our movie/tv streaming service since we don't have the DLNA" announcement happens.

You would think that messing with someone's freedom to use their media, especially after the used game fiasco with MS, would be considered a very bad idea.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #7229 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 04:55 PM

Dug around and found this on the caching of games:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/10/30/shuhei-yoshida-further-discusses-ps4-game-installs-suggests-data-will-stay-on-your-hdd-after-playing-a-game/
Quote:
someone asked if “so when you say cache, you mean install? Just that it is installed automatically in the background?” Here’s his answer:
Quote:
I use the terms the same way, the disc copies game data to HDD in the background.

Judging by this, it seems as though the install size will be added to your HDD in full (unless you manually delete it), rather than disappearing when the game is not in use.

Shuhei talked a little more about cached data/installs on PS4:
Quote:
“The disc caches data to HDD while you play the game, you need not wait.”
“You can delete cached data when the HDD is full, like for those games you do not play often.”
But is the cached data deleting done automatically by the PS4? “You can pick which game data to delete, you want to keep the data on HDD while you play the game often.”
“Unless poorly engineered,” the data will install in parts as you progress through the game, like the Play as You Download feature.

So If I'm reading this right Shu is just using "caching" for what is really background installing. It basically works the same as Uncharted or TLOU, only this time the entire game is eventually downloaded instead of just part as on PS3. It also requires you to manage it and delete the game caches when the HDD is full.

So no worries for HDD/Hybrids.
post #7230 of 17365 Old 10-30-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

So automaticly it installs the way the 360 does it. (With cache being his term for background installing while you play) Looks like Tidux finally missed something. Still, asking for a minimum of 160GB makes me hessitant to grab a 256GB SSD...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page