post #7381 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

Maybe this is why MS is downplaying the importance/viability of future Gears of War games.

Right.. Funny how they are pushing announcements like this so close to launch but then again they still have another week on MS so any announcements between now and then are huge

its also telling how during E3 Spike was pretty much paid off by MS where they didn't show any Sony information speeches at all. Now with all thats happened they are having a prelaunch event.

What a difference a few months make.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
http://couchjockeyz.com/mp3-support-dlna-and-more-features-to-follow-on-2nd-ps4-update/
Not to sure if this is new news, or legit, but it looks like MP3 support is coming soon.

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #7383 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Just ordered a 1 TB HD. I'm going to upgrade it day 1. The whole backing up and converting is such a pain.

I went with the HGST 7k1000. Yeah it's 7200 RPM. But a tomshardware review shows it uses .4 watts while normal ones like Toshiba's use .9. So heat shouldn't be an issue.

ps. and maybe I'mshooting myself for a future blue light of death. So take info with heed.
post #7384 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Do we know if the PS4 will play Dolby HD while watching a 3D movie?
post #7385 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 249
I don't know if you guys realize this, but...

2 WEEKS!!!!
DaverJ and NoThru22 like this.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #7386 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

I don't know if you guys realize this, but...[SIZE=7][B]2 WEEKS!!!![/B][/SIZE]

Shh stop talking about it, time might go by quicker! tongue.gif
post #7387 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 09:03 AM

Liked: 832
Man, this is going to be an expensive Nov.

$400 Nexus 5, $400 PS4 + games, $100 Hybrid HDD.

Anyone want to sponsor a cheap a** AVS'er?

redface.gif
post #7388 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

Just ordered a 1 TB HD. I'm going to upgrade it day 1. The whole backing up and converting is such a pain.

I went with the HGST 7k1000. Yeah it's 7200 RPM. But a tomshardware review shows it uses .4 watts while normal ones like Toshiba's use .9. So heat shouldn't be an issue.

ps. and maybe I'mshooting myself for a future blue light of death. So take info with heed.

It's the red cylon eye of death. I wouldn't worry about it.

Heat put out by the 7200RPM HDD is trivial compared to CPU/GPU. Plus these systems are already running a heck of a lot cooler than their current gen launch counterparts.
post #7389 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Has there been any talk on whether its better to place the PS4 horizontal or verticle for better heat dissipation? I want to plan ahead... Thanks!

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #7390 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 09:22 AM

Any Canadian AVS'ers?

Seems like a lot on hand to me. Wonder if there will be shortages, or if they'll be more on shelves by black Friday.
post #7391 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Both consoles will have a restock reserved for Black Friday, happens with every launch.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #7392 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

Has there been any talk on whether its better to place the PS4 horizontal or verticle for better heat dissipation? I want to plan ahead... Thanks!

If it's like the PS3; it's pulling air in through a duct system that pushes it directly over the heatsink, so shouldn't matter as long as it can breath (no enclosed spaces that can heat up). That said disc drives always like horizontal placement over vertical, even if they can do it.
post #7393 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

Do we know if the PS4 will play Dolby HD while watching a 3D movie?

It better. that was just an issue on the PS3 that they never addressed. I wouldn't expect the PS4 to have any issue with the HD audio formats from a 3D BD. I know my Sony 3D BD player doesn't, so a brand new PS4 should not either.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #7394 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

post #7395 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 10:52 AM

The thing I find funny is infinitesimal difference last gen were cause for 1000 word articles and pixel to pixel comparisons.

Now all of a sudden 40% more pixels render, with better framerates to boot is of no cause for concern.

I've always been with the good enough crowd, and don't think the best graphics necessarily means the best games. I can enjoy my retro library just as much as my next gen one. But your really can't have it both ways, especially if you're the media that harped on this stuff last generation. Fact also matters. A system that's $100 cheaper and putting out measurably better performance at launch is news worthy. Why is for them to figure out and report on.

They don't do their readers any service brushing it aside and claiming everything is well.
Reddig and TeflonSoul like this.
post #7396 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

What really shocks me is that AVS members are making that argument. This is the last site I ever expected anyone to make that argument on. (Last time I saw it here was in the LCD vs Plasma debates before the first 1080p plasma models took off)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #7397 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Not only that ... Just think about when the PS4 is taxed in a new IP to the point that it is Using 720P.. Where does that leave the XB1, SUB HD ? Stripped to the bone ? I think that's the whole point.

The PS4 has so much more room to grow . As PC games get more and more Graphic intensive (not on the pixel side) the PS4's life cycle will be much greater and its players will be much better off.
post #7398 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

They don't do their readers any service brushing it aside and claiming everything is well.

The blogs and major media outlets have to be terrified of fan-boy rage and/or pissing off MS. It has to be one, the other, or some combination of the two.

I'd really appreciate it if one of the editors at an outlet like Anandtech could have one of their GPU editors (or maybe Anandtech's Brian Klug...who if I remember correctly is an optical engineer by training) break down not only the technical difference between native 1080P and 720P, but the realistic difference in those native resolution to the average human eye.

Anyone on Twitter? Brian Klug's handle is @nerdtalker. biggrin.gif

PSN ID: Kranin
post #7399 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 11:06 AM

I do think so too. I'm guessing the next BF will have no problem at 1080P on BOTH consoles once the kinks are ironed out. The engine probably has very little in the way of deep optimization for either system yet.

I'd be very surprised if these 3rd party launch games are making use of any of the hardware quirks and possibility this early. For the most part they're straight PC ports, and that why the XBone is having a really, really hard time.

The PS4 is essentially a fixed PC GPU card with a CPU on the same memory bus if you're not optimizing for it as a system. Thats a really easy setup to port to from PC, especially when it's got more GPU RAM than any PC GPU card.

The XBone though has that chunk of ESRAM sitting between the CPU/GPU and it's RAM and is going to cause trouble in straight ports unless coded for or around. There's your problem right there, especially if the API is buggered as has been reported. I've been reading up on the similar, but slightly different design used in the 360, and it seem most developers ended up coding right around it in the end because it was considered a bottleneck. It's a bit different in the XBone though, so it remains to be seen if it's a net positive or negative once the API is up to snuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlink View Post

The blogs and major media outlets have to be terrified of fan-boy rage and/or pissing off MS. It has to be one, the other, or some combination of the two.

MS is one thing, but fanboys only hurt themselves for carrying water for their chosen brand. Gives companies cover for things that directly hurt them and everyone not as invested in the brand.

Echo chambers are terrible things. Nothing good comes from them. Companies don't care about you and we should only care about what they can do for us.
ThumperII likes this.
post #7400 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:

The thing I find funny is infinitesimal difference last gen were cause for 1000 word articles and pixel to pixel comparisons.

Now all of a sudden 40% more pixels render, with better framerates to boot is of no cause for concern.

I've always been with the good enough crowd, and don't think the best graphics necessarily means the best games. I can enjoy my retro library just as much as my next gen one. But your really can't have it both ways, especially if you're the media that harped on this stuff last generation. Fact also matters. A system that's $100 cheaper and putting out measurably better performance at launch is news worthy. Why is for them to figure out and report on.

Bingo, many of the people on the 360 side claim vast superiority on a lot of multiplat games are now downplaying the difference of 1080p to 720p or 900p to 720p as if it is nothing when it is a far greater disparity than the differences of multiplat games this gen.

It is suddenly no big deal to these people the graphical differences from the 360 to the Wii?
post #7401 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do think so too. I'm guessing the next BF will have no problem at 1080P on BOTH consoles once the kinks are ironed out. The engine probably has very little in the way of deep optimization for either system yet.

I'd be very surprised if these 3rd party launch games are making use of any of the hardware quirks and possibility this early. For the most part they're straight PC ports, and that why the XBone is having a really, really hard time.

The PS4 is essentially a fixed PC GPU card with a CPU on the same memory bus if you're not optimizing for it as a system. Thats a really easy setup to port to from PC, especially when it's got more GPU RAM than any PC GPU card.

The XBone though has that chunk of ESRAM sitting between the CPU/GPU and it's RAM and is going to cause trouble in straight ports unless coded for or around. There's your problem right there, especially if the API is buggered as has been reported. I've been reading up on the similar, but slightly different design used in the 360, and it seem most developers ended up coding right around it in the end because it was considered a bottleneck. It's a bit different in the XBone though, so it remains to be seen if it's a net positive or negative once the API is up to snuff.
MS is one thing, but fanboys only hurt themselves for carrying water for their chosen brand. Gives companies cover for things that directly hurt them and everyone not as invested in the brand.

Echo chambers are terrible things. Nothing good comes from them. Companies don't care about you and we should only care about what they can do for us.

Din't forget that the XB1 is actually built like a PC with integrated video solution .. Thats the type of PC I build for my mother,,,,smile.gif
post #7402 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:

The PS4 is essentially a fixed PC GPU card with a CPU on the same memory bus if you're not optimizing for it as a system. Thats a really easy setup to port to from PC, especially when it's got more GPU RAM than any PC GPU card. The XBone though has that chunk of ESRAM sitting between the CPU/GPU and it's RAM and is going to cause trouble in straight ports unless coded around. There's your problem right there, especially if the API is buggered as has been reported.

This is kind of where I am stuck at. I have both on pre-order and have really been debating which console to keep as getting both doesn't fit into my budget. I find it incredibly hard to believe that the XB1 cannot run these games (COD and BF4) at full 1080p at 60 FPS if the developers had had all the time they needed and the non-buggered API, which is being reported.

I don't know much about PC specs and computer specs, but poster on here such as Tyrant, BD, and few others seem to know much more and seem very level headed. These are launch titles after all, and it does seem the PS4 is easier to code for (kind of a vice versa from last gen).

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #7403 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post

The 6 was 6Gbps (sata III), not 6GB of NAND in the one I linked earlier, as near as I could tell, these drives both had the same specs (8GB NAND and 64MB DRAM cache, 5400 rpm). Not sure what the $20 price differential was for??? They do have different model numbers though :/

I checked out the full specs on on the one I linked on the seagate site, and found this PC World spec sheet based on model # (ST1000LM014)

http://www.pcworld.com/product/pg/1158867044/detail

Read it to fast, you're right. The difference is one is a kit and the other the hard drive only. You saved me $20 thanks

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #7404 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

You need to remember that the Author is an admitted XBOX fan... So by default he doesn't like all things sony. But it seems as if he is abandoning ship.

As far as the other forum, as soon as you even hint at something bad people start flagging your posts and you get a visit from the MOD.

I think the bottom line is that people are pissed at whats going on, they are aware and just don't want to hear it from people buying the PS4 first. When they do they dig in.

My suggestion is just that if you are in doubt then just wait . There is no sense going all in unless you are really satisfied with the product. There are alot of people stepping back right now .

I hear you on that...I myself got a ban from the other consoles main thread in here for stating my mind.
post #7405 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

What really shocks me is that AVS members are making that argument. This is the last site I ever expected anyone to make that argument on. (Last time I saw it here was in the LCD vs Plasma debates before the first 1080p plasma models took off)

It is shocking, but hardly surprising. There will always be people who can't tell the difference between "this" and "that". Those same people also never see the point of "that" when "this" is good enough and gets the job done. Those comments often come from people who have yet to develop a discerning palate for that kind of stuff.
Reddig likes this.

post #7406 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 11:29 AM

Liked: 79
Well, I do remember reading months ago on IGN, that developers said working on the PS4 is easier than xbox one. Something about the dev kits being similar to gaming PC rigs. That, plus MS took the cheap route on RAM. The xbox, just as last gen with no blu ray, will be underpowered.

However, it's the games and gameplay that mean the most to the casual gamer. Personally, I've got some pretty good gear that took me a few years to accumulate and enough $$ that got me in trouble with the wife more than once smile.gif. I want my cake and eat it too! Graphics are just as important to me as great gameplay, even though I was mostly a 360 guy this last round. When I did get a PS3, I never purchased many games for it. If I ever do break down and get an Xone, I probably won't use it much either.
post #7407 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanglo View Post

It is shocking, but hardly surprising. There will always be people who can't tell the difference between "this" and "that". Those same people also never see the point of "that" when "this" is good enough and gets the job done. Those comments often come from people who have yet to develop a discerning palate for that kind of stuff.

Problem here is people mostly can, but then decide to carry water in some asinine, twisted talkingpoint argument. if you're patient or care enough you can dig through their post history to find those posts as well.

I've never been a fan of PR/Marketing, beyond informing something new is out. So when people / the forum I visit for facts/discussions starts carrying water in the same way, it irks me. I have my biases for sure, but I call a turd a turd as well. That's all I ask of other people. If you can't say one bad thing about your preferences or (perfectly fine) biased choices, that lights off the red flags for me when trying to collect factual information.

Still, nothing has come close to the FUD/FUBAR days of the HD media format wars. Talk about WWIII of misinformation, BS, and trolling.
BAMABLUHD likes this.
post #7408 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

Problem here is people mostly can, but then decide to carry water in some asinine, twisted talkingpoint argument. if you're patient or care enough you can dig through their post history to find those posts as well.

And then you have those people.

post #7409 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I don't know who has downplayed the enjoyment of 1080p. I have downplayed the claim other AVSers have stated that 1080p is going to cause an effect on sales. For some reason people think everyone has a 1080p display because best buy barely has any 720p screens. All the talk about what happens at launch will not indicate how it will be 2 or 6 years down the road. These are launch systems. Don't buy if you are worried about resolution or MP3 and anything else until the kinks are fixed. Me personally my rooms are ready for the new systems and my gaming PC will get upgraded or replaced like normal.
Daekwan likes this.

The 5.0 is here
post #7410 of 17414 Old 11-01-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

PS4 cases compared to PS3 cases. Glad they got rid of that useless clear top on the cases, but I am surprised they aren't bluray slim to save on plastic.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=88278971

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page