PlayStation 4 - Page 277 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

I haven't read about it yet but here is a link.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7370/amd-announces-trueaudio-technology-for-upcoming-gpus

This is probably the best tech news so far. Proper audio placement and sound that actually feels like it is all around you, even with $3 ear buds.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,338
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

I haven't read about it yet but here is a link.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7370/amd-announces-trueaudio-technology-for-upcoming-gpus

Hmm, I wonder what they mean by "trueaudio support". If they actually have that DSP in there, I wonder why they waited so long to mention it. Regardless of whether it's backed by the same hardware or just a software solution, I've spoken to an insider that assured me that "DSP won't be an issue". Although now I wonder if that's because they had it all along. tongue.gif

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tfoltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 3,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post

Grrr, was counting on the PS4 taking the PS3s place in the entertainment center...3D playback was the only thing keeping it there. The 360 is staying for kinect games for the kid. This is unfortunate...thanks for posting it!

I posted this earlier, but Engadget claimed Sony confirmed to them that the PS4 will "definitely" come with both 3D Blu-ray playback.

However, Sony then confirmed no 3D at launch

The Engadget article is 4 days old, so they must have figured out they couldn't do it in time.

I know people primarily want this as a gaming platform, but missing some key ingredients is pretty lazy.
tfoltz is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,312
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

This is probably the best tech news so far. Proper audio placement and sound that actually feels like it is all around you, even with $3 ear buds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Hmm, I wonder what they mean by "trueaudio support". If they actually have that DSP in there, I wonder why they waited so long to mention it. Regardless of whether it's backed by the same hardware or just a software solution, I've spoken to an insider that assured me that "DSP won't be an issue". Although now I wonder if that's because they had it all along. tongue.gif

I really do hope this leads to improved audio. Audio on video games still has a ton of room for improvement. I would love games to sound as good as the best blu-rays. Even games like GTA V which have regular songs on the radio stations, the music quality isn't all that great.
freemeat is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Hmm, I wonder what they mean by "trueaudio support". If they actually have that DSP in there, I wonder why they waited so long to mention it. Regardless of whether it's backed by the same hardware or just a software solution, I've spoken to an insider that assured me that "DSP won't be an issue". Although now I wonder if that's because they had it all along. tongue.gif

It is the name of the tech. Remember that youtube video with the fantastic positional audio? That is the tech that has now been confirmed for the PS4.

They had to wait for AMDs NDA to expire before they could confirm it (since it is part of their newest tech) It was confirmed at an AMD event.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,338
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post


I really do hope this leads to improved audio. Audio on video games still has a ton of room for improvement. I would love games to sound as good as the best blu-rays. Even games like GTA V which have regular songs on the radio stations, the music quality isn't all that great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post


I really do hope this leads to improved audio. Audio on video games still has a ton of room for improvement. I would love games to sound as good as the best blu-rays. Even games like GTA V which have regular songs on the radio stations, the music quality isn't all that great.

I'm absolutely certain next gen audio will be a hell of a lot better in many different ways, from talking to the people responsible for creating it.

The trueaudio DSP would be a pleasant surprise to me though!
freemeat likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,338
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

It is the name of the tech. Remember that youtube video with the fantastic positional audio? That is the tech that has now been confirmed for the PS4.

They had to wait for AMDs NDA to expire before they could confirm it (since it is part of their newest tech) It was confirmed at an AMD event.

Well I'd certainly like to see more info on it, because as it stands there's multiple ways to interpret it.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 566
The trueaudio dsp is confirmed.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=715035

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tfoltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 3,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Contrast review is up on GameTrailers. Got an 8.5. Freebie games rule at launch?
tfoltz is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,338
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

The trueaudio dsp is confirmed.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=715035

That stops short of mentioning the same DSP as the r290 is being used, but I'm trying to confirm that right now.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 566
MY PS4 HAS SHIPPED!!!!!

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
joeblow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12,240
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 227
The TruAudio news is significant. The tech hardware chip will allow game makers to offset substantial audio calculations that previously were done by the CPU onto this hardware DSP chip.

Stuff like reverb effects and 3D positional audio no longer have to fight for resources with A.I. routines, game program calculations and the like - they now have their own chip to take care of that. We'll get better audio with barely any performance hit if done well.

Here's a popular example of quality 3D audio:


Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

joeblow is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
s1njin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jersey
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

MY PS4 HAS SHIPPED!!!!!

Supremely happy for you.

Supremely jealous of you.

Click Refresh --> wait --> *sigh* --> repeat in 5 mins.
s1njin is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 3,207
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Still not shipped. They obviously don't go by first come first serve...
Quote:
Order Received - Jun 10, 2013 8:10:19 PM

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is online now  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Here's a popular example of quality 3D audio:

That isn't just an example, that is the tech that AMD is using to power their true audio.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RemoWilliams84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I'd like to hear the same audio clip without the processing for comparison.

And, maybe it's just me, but I never got the sense that any sound was coming from in front of me. It all sounded either behind or above me. That could just be because I'm listening on earbuds, but I thought that with this technology it didn't matter.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

RemoWilliams84 is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
s1njin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jersey
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Still not shipped. They obviously don't go by first come first serve...

I'd assume your guarantee was based on first come first served. Shipping more than likely has everything to do w/ what warehouse its coming out of, where you live, and when UPS shows up to grab everything.

As a Prime member from Amazon I've had stuff get marked "Preparing to ship" the evening before it was due. Which can be unnerving if you are really sweating getting that particular item.
s1njin is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RemoWilliams84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

I'd assume your guarantee was based on first come first served. Shipping more than likely has everything to do w/ what warehouse its coming out of, where you live, and when UPS shows up to grab everything.

As a Prime member from Amazon I've had stuff get marked "Preparing to ship" the evening before it was due. Which can be unnerving if you are really sweating getting that particular item.

I've even had games never come out of the "Not Yet Shipped" state until the day after it was left on my doorstep. That being said, mine is still "Not yet shipped" and I'm sweating it.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

RemoWilliams84 is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 3,207
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Like I said to someone else. Amazon loves to Overnight ship me things instead of just using 2 day shipping and risking a day early arrival. I expect this will happen here. I've never seen it say something was not shipped when it was. I get text updates when all the stuff ships.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is online now  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
samendolaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 303
I would really hate to be working at that Amazon warehouse today... Just looking at that Stack of PS4's must be totally depressing... I'd be using those sick days...
samendolaro is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NoThru22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,662
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 155
My June 17 order going to a friend is preparing to be shipped. My June 11 order going to me is not yet shipped.

Knack got good reviews on Kotaku and Destructoid. They actually put it on my radar, but I'm sure that it'll be a Plus game sooner than any others.
NoThru22 is online now  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NoThru22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,662
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Like I said to someone else. Amazon loves to Overnight ship me things instead of just using 2 day shipping and risking a day early arrival. I expect this will happen here. I've never seen it say something was not shipped when it was. I get text updates when all the stuff ships.
It's technically not overnight shipping. It's still ground for me, they just know exactly how long it will take, so they don't take any chances.
NoThru22 is online now  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
 
HDSapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

That being said, mine is still "Not yet shipped" and I'm sweating it.

Same, minus the sweat, for now. Too cold today to sweat!
HDSapper is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Member
 
dartmania2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: buffalo
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mine has Shipped as well!! Here's to hoping it shows up tomorrow!!

Lag Compensation got you down? http://newbieofduty.com/
dartmania2002 is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
s1njin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jersey
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 39
[quote name="Yrd" url="/t/1459375/playstation-4/8280#post_23943982" I get text updates when all the stuff ships.[/quote]

Amazon description doesn't say anything about shipping updates as it relates to leaving Amazon. 'Out For Delivery' seems to be the first thing they say you'd get.

************
Sign-up for 'Shipment Updates via Text' to receive an SMS text message when your package is out for delivery, delivered or encounters a problem. Text messages will be sent between 10 AM and 11 PM Eastern time for all packages shipped after you complete the sign up process. This service is supported only for packages shipped from Amazon fulfillment centers and does not include packages shipped by Amazon Marketplace Sellers or Amazon Merchants.
************
s1njin is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:58 AM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Hmm, I wonder what they mean by "trueaudio support". If they actually have that DSP in there, I wonder why they waited so long to mention it. Regardless of whether it's backed by the same hardware or just a software solution, I've spoken to an insider that assured me that "DSP won't be an issue". Although now I wonder if that's because they had it all along. tongue.gif

Probably referencing the hand that will come out for every licensed copy/disc

smile.gif
TyrantII is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 566
I got an email saying it had shipped. My phone tells me the instant I get one.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 3,207
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Amazon description doesn't say anything about shipping updates as it relates to leaving Amazon. 'Out For Delivery' seems to be the first thing they say you'd get.

************
Sign-up for 'Shipment Updates via Text' to receive an SMS text message when your package is out for delivery, delivered or encounters a problem. Text messages will be sent between 10 AM and 11 PM Eastern time for all packages shipped after you complete the sign up process. This service is supported only for packages shipped from Amazon fulfillment centers and does not include packages shipped by Amazon Marketplace Sellers or Amazon Merchants.
************


Well being as I get the text updates I can tell you what happens. It sends me a text that says it's out for delivery and the estimated time of arrival. Then it also texts me again when it has been delivered.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is online now  
Old 11-13-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,338
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

The TruAudio news is significant. The tech hardware chip will allow game makers to offset substantial audio calculations that previously were done by the CPU onto this hardware DSP chip.

Stuff like reverb effects and 3D positional audio no longer have to fight for resources with A.I. routines, game program calculations and the like - they now have their own chip to take care of that. We'll get better audio with barely any performance hit if done well.

Here's a popular example of quality 3D audio:


The thing is, it's not entirely clear what trueaudio actually is. On PC, there's a dedicated DSP on certain Radeon cards, and an API to access it. Beyond that they seem to be relying on devs and middleware to use that API to access the DSP. They've given examples of ways that can be done without really going into detail about what the chip is actually capable of and specifically responsible for. They've also gone through great pains to establish that devs will use middleware that will allow them to design once and utilize the DSP if present, and fall back to software if not.

So PS4 feature true audio tech could mean they have the same DSP, could mean they're just using the same API and the APU will do the processing, or some combination of both. It doesn't really say anything specific about what games will use it and how.

If the same DSP is present, it's a big deal and potentially stomps all over the X1. If it's just software hooks, it's still nice for compatibility, but probably doesn't enable anything that they wouldn't have done without it.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 566
First example of a SSD in action, it seems to offer significant improvements to load times.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u8_nt2Dwf78

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
 

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Console , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 4 Games , Sony
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off