post #811 of 18074 Old 04-04-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I am guessing they will hold the next meeting shortly after MS reveals their console, so that they can try to steal back whatever thunder they lose when MS shows the nextbox.

The time frame sounds about right for laying the spoiler on the MS reveal. Get the box out of the way early and focus on the games and services at E3.

Sony being aggressive with the whole hype/mindshare/marketing approach. They really weren't joking when they said they said they're not gonna be last this time.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 18074 Old 04-04-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

The time frame sounds about right for laying the spoiler on the MS reveal. Get the box out of the way early and focus on the games and services at E3.

Sony being aggressive with the whole hype/mindshare/marketing approach. They really weren't joking when they said they said they're not gonna be last this time.
Yeah, this is my thoughts too. They hit it out of the park with the stuff they revealed last time, so wait until MS announces and then come out with even more info and try to steal the show again.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #813 of 18074 Old 04-04-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

PS4 version of Thief looks 'almost identical' to PC version:
Quote:
"For Thief, everything started on PC," Roy explained in an interview with VideoGamer.com. "So for example, all the interface, the menu and stuff like that, we want to adapt it [for next-gen consoles].

"But for a visual aspect - especially for a game like Thief - it's not a question of pushing more polygons, [or] now I can have 200 enemies at the same time and not just 100 enemies. So on our side, it's more a question of gameplay, the movement, stuff like that. I think with the next-gen, yeah visually speaking, with the high-end PC and next-gen it's going to be really, really close, honestly."

Despite the similarities between the console and PC versions, however, Eidos Montreal may look to take advantage of high-spec PC graphics cards, Roy teases.

"Maybe we are going to push a special feature with the PC because of working with the video card and stuff like that," he continued, "but it's not like 10 years ago where the difference was huge."

A Square Enix representative added that the team already has a build of the game running on PS4 that looks "almost identical" to the PC version.

Roy also confirmed that Thief is being developed using a modified version of Unreal Engine 3, not Epic's next-gen engine Unreal Engine 4.

Source

post #814 of 18074 Old 04-04-2013, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 195
It seems that Epic rushed their recent PS4 tech demo for UE4 a bit. Based on this explanation from one of their programmers, the only thing different capability-wise of the demo than their PC version of the engine is reduced particle effects (SVO Global Illumination is removed from all platforms):
Quote:
Update: Brian Karis, senior graphics programmer at Epic Games adds some more insight in the comments below, explaining some of the more obvious differences - particularly in terms of the very different lighting schemes. At the technical level, the two demos are closer than it seems:

"The biggest changes actually came from the merging of two separate cinematics, the original Elemental and the extended Elemental we showed at PS4's launch event. Each had different sun directions and required some compromises to join them. This resulted in some major lighting differences that aren't platform related but were due to it being a joined cinematic. Another effect, in the original you could see the mountains through the door where in the merged one we made the view through the door white since the mountains outside were no longer the same. Same deal with the mountain fly by. The old mountain range doesn't exist in the new one. These changes from the merge make direct comparisons somewhat inaccurate.

"Feature wise most everything is the same, AA resolution, meshes, textures (PS4 has tons of memory), DOF (I assure you both use the same Bokeh DOF, not sure why that one shot has different focal range), motion blur.

"Biggest differences are SVOGI has been replaced with a more efficient GI solution, a slight scale down in the number of particles for some FX, and tessellation is broken on ps4 in the current build which the lava used for displacement. We will fix the tessellation in the future."

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #815 of 18074 Old 04-04-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 61
It looked pretty rough all around to me. I was not impressed by it. I think the God of War games on PS3 look better.

500 gigs FTW.
post #816 of 18074 Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They have the exclusives which is why I'm going PS4. Even if it came out a year later like last time, I'd probably still wait for it just because all the games I like are on Sony's platform. Sorry, but Halo and Gears of War don't cut it. If MS doesn't nail it huge with exclusive announcements, I'd say they're going down this gen.

500 gigs FTW.
post #817 of 18074 Old 04-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
There are strong rumors that Nextbox will require an online connection to function. Then one of their top execs goes and does this -

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-creative-director-doesnt-get-the-drama-aro-470793216

With this kind of management my decision to go with PS4 is simple.
post #818 of 18074 Old 04-04-2013, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

They have the exclusives which is why I'm going PS4. Even if it came out a year later like last time, I'd probably still wait for it just because all the games I like are on Sony's platform. Sorry, but Halo and Gears of War don't cut it. If MS doesn't nail it huge with exclusive announcements, I'd say they're going down this gen.

The same thing has been said over and over each year about "lack" of exclusives for the 360 and yet the system continues to thrive. It has been the number one sold console in the US for two years now every month. If you really believe the average consumer is thinking like you and others on here about the word exclusive holding weight for a system to survive, then shouldn't the 360 had already died and shouldn't multiplatform games be the least selling games that seam to drive the sales over exclusive content?

The 5.0 is here
post #819 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Gears was and still is the only reason I've purchased a 360.

Metal Gear series was the only reason I purchased Ps3.

Everything else.... Meh
post #820 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I picked up a 360 in 2011 on a black Friday deal. I paid for a year of gold, played a few exclusives, but ultimately wasn't missing anything by only having a PS3 for 4 years.

I'll correct that: Alan Wake was an excellent game that everyone should play, I really enjoyed Gears 1 and 2, but this time I'm not getting a second system. PS4 has shown, so far, that it will do everything I want. They could drop the ball and lose me, but Sony would have to take a sharp left to do that at this point.

post #821 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
Quote:

I picked up a 360 in 2011 on a black Friday deal. I paid for a year of gold, played a few exclusives, but ultimately wasn't missing anything by only having a PS3 for 4 years.

I'll correct that: Alan Wake was an excellent game that everyone should play, I really enjoyed Gears 1 and 2, but this time I'm not getting a second system. PS4 has shown, so far, that it will do everything I want. They could drop the ball and lose me, but Sony would have to take a sharp left to do that at this point.

Yeah, it's hard to see how Sony screws it up from here - they're not only meeting my expectations of the next gen, but surpassing them.

Meanwhile MS has been screwing up left and right, and it looks like they're still headed in the wrong direction. I'm starting to regret ever buying in to the 360, because I have a ton of content that basically dies forever the day I stop paying that XBL gold fee.

The way its shaping up, given all that we know, and assuming the rest stays the same:

The PS4 will be like a really sweet apartment with trendy furniture you can rearrange, and your apt is connected to a sweet arcade full of games to play, all for a reasonable fee. Even if you stop paying the fee, you keep your apt and can invite friends over to play anytime you want.

The nextbox will be a relatively comfy solitary confinement jail cell, but the furniture is nailed to the floor in really inconvenient places, and everything including the walls plastered with ads for stuff you don't want like tampons. You need to pay the warden a fee to unlock your cell, and then you can go and play in the courtyard with everyone else who paid the fee. There's some cool stuff out there, but everything costs additional money. And there are cameras watching you everywhere you go. Stop paying and you get thrown back in your cell to play by yourself with what little you could take with you.

No matter how cool the stuff or the people are in that prison, I'm not sure I'm ready to take that deal again.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #822 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
Microsoft Must bring some AAA exclusives to the table, I can barely count what 360 had to offer on one hand this time around lol

360 had a year head start and online FPS were HUGE in this gen (I have a feeling this won't continue in next gen, people will eventually reach a point and get burnt out playing the same thing all over again), so I don't think those games will help 'em out as much as they did this gen.

I wouldn't mind Sony dominating the market and by the looks of it so far they should, PS2 is my absolute favorite console and that console dominated everything back then and brought some amazing games to the table.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #823 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

The problem with 360 is being forced to pay to play. The fact that you have to pay to even use Netflix is a joke.
post #824 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I agree about Netflix. I have 2 Blu-Ray players and 3 tvs that all stream Netflix and many others for free...
post #825 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I love how the word force continues to be used.

The 5.0 is here
post #826 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone thinks Microsoft might go down Sony's path and make online gaming free while giving bonuses for Gold members? Now that Both consoles will be released at around the same time, people will actually wonder if paying for online is really that worth it.

It's kinda ridiculous if you think about how Launch 360 users have paid around $300 during this gen so far just to play online! (I assume the annual subscription is around $40-50 depending on how good of a deal you got).

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #827 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

Anyone thinks Microsoft might go down Sony's path and make online gaming free while giving bonuses for Gold members? Now that Both consoles will be released at around the same time, people will actually wonder if paying for online is really that worth it.

It's kinda ridiculous if you think about how Launch 360 users have paid around $300 during this gen so far just to play online! (I assume the annual subscription is around $40-50 depending on how good of a deal you got).

No way. MS makes a ton of money from Live subscriptions.
post #828 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

That's the kind of drastic thing I'd have to see from Microsoft so they'd still be in the game IMO and throw something worthwhile at Sony's face so they'd lose some of their great momentum, the old excuse of "but Live is so much better than PSN" won't cut it anymore, PSN has improved a lot and I have confidence the PS4 will offer a great online experience, PS3's main online problem is how slow the interface is, but looking at how the PS4 has a dedicated CPU for such processes, that problem should be solved.

Xbox 360 has seen some global presence this time around, but if Microsoft is so unwilling to change, I'm willing to bet PS4 will destroy the next gen Xbox HARD at any country but NA, looking at how people are responding to next gen consoles, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony defeated Microsoft by a large margin even in NA.

post #829 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's the kind of drastic thing I'd have to see from Microsoft so they'd still be in the game IMO and throw something worthwhile at Sony's face so they'd lose some of their great momentum, the old excuse of "but Live is so much better than PSN" won't cut it anymore, PSN has improved a lot and I have confidence the PS4 will offer a great online experience, PS3's main online problem is how slow the interface is, but looking at how the PS4 has a dedicated CPU for such processes, that problem should be solved.

Xbox 360 has seen some global presence this time around, but if Microsoft is so unwilling to change, I'm willing to bet PS4 will destroy the next gen Xbox HARD at any country but NA, looking at how people are responding to next gen consoles, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony defeated Microsoft by a large margin even in NA.

Why from a business perspective would they just stop wanting to get billions in revenue from Live? What company does what u are thinking? If anything what Live did was lead to Plus exsisting. If Live is so bad and viewed as expensive then why are so many continuing to use it to watch HBO Go and play games and watch movies. 11 years now. Live is established. People are choosing to use the service and apparently it must be Somthing that continues to draw exsisting an new consumers to the system. I keep hearing the same complaints but the reality is consumers have accepted it. Trying to come up with how much it cost over four years is no different than how much someone spends on smoking or alcohol. Most people don't view missing $30-50 on a service that last a year.

The 5.0 is here
post #830 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

As I said earlier, 360 came out before the PS3, lots of people already had the console or wanted to join their friends who have a Microsoft console. Besides, Sony wasn't established enough with PSN as it was their first REAL online console, it's a different story with the PS4.

This time people will have an option to choose between 2 consoles from the get go (assuming Microsoft will release their console sometime close to Sony's), people should think why are they paying Microsoft to play games online when they can do the same thing for free with Sony.

post #831 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Do you buy a console for offline gameplay only? You think it makes sense to pay more to use Netflix on a 360 then it would a tv or literally any other video equipment out there? It's a joke.

Lets see. You can't play a game online unless you pay more to play it. What would you call that since in this case there is no choice.
post #832 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Especially when it is used properly, as in "you are forced to pay for gold if you want to watch netlfix on the 360".
Unlike when people use it in error, as in "Sony is forcing me to throw my DLC into the trash because it can't be used on the ps4".
metallicaband likes this.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #833 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

I don't understand why would Microsoft fan(boys? lol) defend these fees and act like it's nothing, if Sony did something bullsh*t, I'll be the first to call them out and say they screwed it up. We should worry about what we want as consumers and not feel like we're being ripped off, instead of thinking how rich Microsoft, Sony or whoever is getting.

I'd happily buy a Microsoft console along with the PS4 if they offered something worth getting.

post #834 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As I said earlier, 360 came out before the PS3, lots of people already had the console or wanted to join their friends who have a Microsoft console. Besides, Sony wasn't established enough with PSN as it was their first REAL online console, it's a different story with the PS4.

This time people will have an option to choose between 2 consoles from the get go (assuming Microsoft will release their console sometime close to Sony's), people should think why are they paying Microsoft to play games online when they can do the same thing for free with Sony.

As it is, Sony has them beat on both the paid and free service....for gamers.

I think MS is banking on live being a broader entertainment package - they've got a lot of video/TV content that Sony doesnt, and its only growing stronger. They've got special features like the election coverage, mars rover landing, etc. They do UFC way better than any cable box.

They might simply be willing to concede the fight for gamers, and cast a wider net instead. It worked for Nintendo. I still think they're underestimating Sony and are overconfident in their standing, but they're going to try to split the difference. They're not as laser focused on gaming as Sony currently is. They may accept they'll lose any gamer that can do the math and see PSN is the better value, while roping in twice as many paying subs who never even considered a PS4.

post #835 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 04:55 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:

The same thing has been said over and over each year about "lack" of exclusives for the 360 and yet the system continues to thrive. It has been the number one sold console in the US for two years now every month. If you really believe the average consumer is thinking like you and others on here about the word exclusive holding weight for a system to survive, then shouldn't the 360 had already died and shouldn't multiplatform games be the least selling games that seam to drive the sales over exclusive content?

Getting testy mboo?

I honestly think the 360's head start, along with the ridiculous attach rate and success of COD was the biggest driver this generation for MS US dominance. Once your friends are locked in, it really only makes sense to go with what you know you're friends are playing. COD and Gears were golden geese, but the attach rates of MS other exclusives weren't nearly as sweet for them outside of gears and forza.

They also seem to be gearing up next gen to do more of what they figured out this gen; you get more bang with your buck just buying time exclusives, DLC, and releases. I expect them to do that even more next gen. But I guess the quest is if that really works as well when launching, vs later in a consoles life-cycle with a large install base.

Personally, Sonys exclusives and the type of games that Sony tends to back are really my biggest driver towards them. Never been a huge FPS fan, and you can always seem to get 2-3 AAA of those multiform, so it's the everything else that drives me. MS had ONE game that had me thinking about picking up a 360, Alan Wake, and then they released it on PC for and I grabbed it on sale for $5. Saved me a pretty penny!
post #836 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't understand why would Microsoft fan(boys? lol) defend these fees and act like it's nothing, if Sony did something bullsh*t, I'll be the first to call them out and say they screwed it up. We should worry about what we want as consumers and not feel like we're being ripped off, instead of thinking how rich Microsoft, Sony or whoever is getting.

I'd happily buy a Microsoft console along with the PS4 if they offered something worth getting.

That's it right there. Unable to see any form of competition. Live being the "NFL" of gaming while PlayStation is little league. If anything they simply find reasons to pay so they don't fell as if they are actually wasting money.
post #837 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Getting testy mboo?

I honestly think the 360's head start, along with the ridiculous attach rate and success of COD was the biggest driver this generation for MS US dominance. Once your friends are locked in, it really only makes sense to go with what you know you're friends are playing. COD and Gears were golden geese, but the attach rates of MS other exclusives weren't nearly as sweet for them outside of gears and forza.

They also seem to be gearing up next gen to do more of what they figured out this gen; you get more bang with your buck just buying time exclusives, DLC, and releases. I expect them to do that even more next gen. But I guess the quest is if that really works as well when launching, vs later in a consoles life-cycle with a large install base.

Personally, Sonys exclusives and the type of games that Sony tends to back are really my biggest driver towards them. Never been a huge FPS fan, and you can always seem to get 2-3 AAA of those multiform, so it's the everything else that drives me. MS had ONE game that had me thinking about picking up a 360, Alan Wake, and then they released it on PC for and I grabbed it on sale for $5. Saved me a pretty penny!

Bingo.
post #838 of 18074 Old 04-05-2013, 05:00 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

As it is, Sony has them beat on both the paid and free service....for gamers.

I think MS is banking on live being a broader entertainment package - they've got a lot of video/TV content that Sony doesnt, and its only growing stronger. They've got special features like the election coverage, mars rover landing, etc. They do UFC way better than any cable box.

They might simply be willing to concede the fight for gamers, and cast a wider net instead. It worked for Nintendo. I still think they're underestimating Sony and are overconfident in their standing, but they're going to try to split the difference. They're not as laser focused on gaming as Sony currently is. They may accept they'll lose any gamer that can do the math and see PSN is the better value, while roping in twice as many paying subs who never even considered a PS4.

Not might. They NEED to.

10 years ago Sony was their biggest threat in the living room, which they aimed to grab market share from. Meanwhile Google, Apple and Amazon have done a run around on the living room, mobile, and internet markets. While MS was focused on Sony, and knocked them down in the US, competition came at them from every angle imaginable. Shareholders are restless, and they're demanding MS do something about it.

Whether that's to the detriment of their gaming division, remains to be seen. But every leak about the next box points to a new direction and thinking from that of the 360.
post #839 of 18074 Old 04-06-2013, 03:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Not might. They NEED to.

10 years ago Sony was their biggest threat in the living room, which they aimed to grab market share from. Meanwhile Google, Apple and Amazon have done a run around on the living room, mobile, and internet markets. While MS was focused on Sony, and knocked them down in the US, competition came at them from every angle imaginable. Shareholders are restless, and they're demanding MS do something about it.

Whether that's to the detriment of their gaming division, remains to be seen. But every leak about the next box points to a new direction and thinking from that of the 360.

And Im absolutely fine with it. I watch TV too. Id rather see them do something different instead of just being a poor shadow of the competition. (like Sony was in the early years of PS3, and Nintendo is now)

But as it is, take away the core games, and not only does XBL gold not justify it's existence, the entire platform doesn't. It's got a long way to go. It might have some value as a jack of all trades master of none, but as it stands a PS4 + Roku still looks like a better deal. It needs to do something special that no other platform can manage.

post #840 of 18074 Old 04-06-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

#dealwithit

500 gigs FTW.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page