PlayStation 4 - Page 316 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9451 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Weird - I was wondering he same thing last night. My wife and I watched the exact same movie last night (Star Trek) and I noticed Khan's voice was off compared to his lips 2/3rds through. It eventually synch'd up, but I wondered if it was the PS4. I'll test the same scene on my PS3, but maybe it is the movie.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9452 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

I guess this is directed to me since I stated he had an entry level projector, it was not being elitist. Is it not fact that more entry level projectors produce a weaker picture in regards to color accuracy, contrast etc...? If you have a very expensive projector and are seeing inky blacks a light source could really impact those blacks because you expect them to be inky black...now if you have one that more produces say a grey black you might not be the type of person who cares about having the deepest black, so you might not care or notice if your picture is a bit more washed out because you don't pay that close attention. Now I am not saying the light from the controller totally washes out the screen, it would be foolish to say so.

I had people over for UFC see this weekend people that don't have projectors and I showed them some PS4 and when it faded to black for loading and the room was dark everyone was shocked how much the screen lit up and how bright the room was with the controllers on.

Alright for anyone curious, I took some quick measurements last night, of the controller light. I'll list my cell phone, TV and projector, for comparisons. First I want to make it clear that it doesn't matter how bright your projector is, the main factor is environment.
These measurements were not taken in a lab environment, just my theater room, with the lights off.
Numbers:

Controller Light: 6.5 Foot-lambert = 22.26 Nits

Cell Phone: 3.5 Foot-lambert = 11.99 Nits (all white screen, in the same room, with Auto-Brightness on)

TV: 35 Foot-lamberts = 119.91 Nits

Projector: 22 Foot-lamberts = 75.37 (pretty bright for a projector, small room)

So lets just all agree that the light can be bright in certain environments, and not in others. I hope that they add an option to adjust it in the future.
post #9453 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Just for reference, the LED signs my company makes are about 8,000 NIT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

Cell Phone: 3.5 Foot-lambert = 11.99 Nits (all white screen, in the same room, with Auto-Brightness on)

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #9454 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Alright for anyone curious, I took some quick measurements last night, of the controller light. I'll list my cell phone, TV and projector, for comparisons. First I want to make it clear that it doesn't matter how bright your projector is, the main factor is environment.
These measurements were not taken in a lab environment, just my theater room, with the lights off.
Numbers:

So lets just all agree that the light can be bright in certain environments, and not in others. I hope that they add an option to adjust it in the future.

There's no "let's just all agree" when people say time and again they are not having any light issues in darkened rooms with the DS4. Your profession and calculations don't trump my own eyes or those of others that report zero issues. It is not a flashlight.

I game and movie watch in a pitch black room if it is night time. I have blinds over the windows, so no light comes in at all. The DS4 glow can only be seen reflecting off my fingers when holding it and faintly off my HDTV, which handles reflections in general pretty well.

If my fingers are 't behind it, I see absolutely nothing; even when tilting up towards my face until I can look directly at it. The touch pad has a lip over the recessed light bar preventing it from being seen before then.

I did a test of my own, BTW. The wifey toleration test. I paused our movie on a black screen transition and held up the DS4 away from the screen while asking her what color light could she see if any. She said she didn't see a light. I kept tilting the angle towards her, asking the question and she couldn't see it until it was starting to point towards her eyes.

I can see how some poorly reflective displays may have an issue with any light source pointed at it like the DS4, no matter how subtle. But as a general light issue in a fully dark room there it is not even the slightest of a problem. In fact, as I said earlier, I think adding game play elements to the light bar is a waste of time since you have to look away from the screen and fully tilt the DS4 just to see it.

post #9455 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Ok, some people have issues that bother them with the controllers light and some don't. I don't see why this is even an issue to fight over.
pennhunter likes this.
post #9456 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 61
Like I said, environment.......paint color of room, size of room, windows, reflective surface, etc.
Quote:
Ok, some people have issues that bother them with the controllers light and some don't. I don't see why this is even an issue to fight over.

Agreed, I'm done.
post #9457 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 92
And maybe, as TyrantII suggested earlier, there might be some variability in the brightness of the bar? That thought had occurred to me as well.

The bar is REALLY BRIGHT for me in a dark room... in my imagination...
post #9458 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 258
@joeblow

There's no "let's just all agree" when people say time and again they are having light issues in darkened rooms with the DS4. Your "Wifey Toleration Test" doesn't trump my own eyes or those of others that do report issues.

Just playing devils advocate here. But those statements can go both ways. Some people are having issues in there setup, others aren't. Can't we just leave it at that and present a solution for those that are having issues? I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer here.

I personally haven't played in a dark enough room to notice, but I do know that those damn move wands reflected all over my screen and the light looks similar to that of the controller.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #9459 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 414
The wifey tolerance test can have mixed results, you sure that was a good idea? eek.gif

No kidding on this light issue, tape it up and move on if it bothers you....or start an I hate the deathray thread and beat the horse there please biggrin.gif I want to hear venting about proper hardware issues like interns sabatoging our hardware.
post #9460 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

@joeblow

There's no "let's just all agree" when people say time and again they are having light issues in darkened rooms with the DS4. Your "Wifey Toleration Test" doesn't trump my own eyes or those of others that do report issues.

Just playing devils advocate here. But those statements can go both ways. Some people are having issues in there setup, others aren't. Can't we just leave it at that and present a solution for those that are having issues? I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer here.

I personally haven't played in a dark enough room to notice, but I do know that those damn move wands reflected all over my screen and the light looks similar to that of the controller.
The wifey test comment (even though it is true) was kind of a parody response to that technical response that i thought was mentioned to shut down debate. Also, by me saying there are those who have no issues I am not saying it is everyone. I even acknowledged an example of where some people would have problems.

Overall, for anyone that has a problem with the DS4 light bar it can be addressed the same way I deal with light issues on three other electronic gadgets I have - black duct tape to the rescue.

post #9461 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

The wifey test comment (even though it is true) was kind of a parody response to that technical response that i thought was mentioned to shut down debate. Also, by me saying there are those who have no issues I am not saying it is everyone. I even acknowledged an example of where some people would have problems.

Overall, for anyone that has a problem with the DS4 light bar it can be addressed the same way I deal with light issues on three other electronic gadgets I have - black duct tape to the rescue.

Nooooooooooo!!!! Don't bring up the color of the electrical tape. Next argument will be the merits of red vs green vs yellow vs white...oh god the humanity ;
pennhunter likes this.
post #9462 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:

There's no "let's just all agree" when people say time and again they are not having any light issues in darkened rooms with the DS4. Your profession and calculations don't trump my own eyes or those of others that report zero issues. It is not a flashlight.

I game and movie watch in a pitch black room if it is night time. I have blinds over the windows, so no light comes in at all. The DS4 glow can only be seen reflecting off my fingers when holding it and faintly off my HDTV, which handles reflections in general pretty well.

If my fingers are 't behind it, I see absolutely nothing; even when tilting up towards my face until I can look directly at it. The touch pad has a lip over the recessed light bar preventing it from being seen before then.

I did a test of my own, BTW. The wifey toleration test. I paused our movie on a black screen transition and held up the DS4 away from the screen while asking her what color light could she see if any. She said she didn't see a light. I kept tilting the angle towards her, asking the question and she couldn't see it until it was starting to point towards her eyes.

I can see how some poorly reflective displays may have an issue with any light source pointed at it like the DS4, no matter how subtle. But as a general light issue in a fully dark room there it is not even the slightest of a problem. In fact, as I said earlier, I think adding game play elements to the light bar is a waste of time since you have to look away from the screen and fully tilt the DS4 just to see it.

I respect YOUR opinion, but that does not mean some others are not bothered by it. Also, as I mentioned, this has the potential to be much more of an annoyance/issue with a FP setup vs a flat panel user like you as even the smallest of light can negatively affect PQ for those that care. I can visually wash out my FP image in the right type of scene (dark) with just my cell phone screen lit up and pointing toward it, especially with my retro-reflective 2.8 HP screen which throws any eye level direct light at 2.8 times the original luminance right back at you. So yeah, I can see how this would be an issue for some. Fortunately it is an easy fix though with some electrical tape until/if an option comes out to switch it off.

Also, your wife not having issue with this means nothing to most of us in all due respect. My ex was not bothered by most of the things I found annoying when they would pop up as far as HT A/V issues, but she was not an obsessive A/V nut like myself either. smile.gif

Bottom line is this potential annoyance will depend on the setup/person and we should just leave it at that.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #9463 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone have any experience with an Astro wired mix amp? Mines not working fully with PS4. The audio I get is really low, like not usable low and I have the master and head set volume to max, also the game to voice chat balancer does not work at all it just raises or lowers the master volume.

I confirmed all connections are tight sure hope I missed a setting or something anyone have any insight on this issue.
Thanks
beach scrub likes this.
post #9464 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:09 AM

Liked: 832
Also, as I posted a few pages back it looks like it be very easy to open up a DS4 and solve the issue with some paint on either the LED, or painting the light transferring plastic. The diode is tiny, and the plastic seems to be easily removed.

Nothing some sandpaper and spray paint can't fix.
post #9465 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Numbers:

Great post. Yeah, 6.5 ftl is not an insignificant amount!

post #9466 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Also, as I posted a few pages back it looks like it be very easy to open up a DS4 and solve the issue with some paint on either the LED, or painting the light transferring plastic. The diode is tiny, and the plastic seems to be easily removed.

Nothing some sandpaper and spray paint can't fix.

"Very easy" and "open up a DS4" do not belong in the same sentence. :P

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #9467 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookdogg View Post

Anyone have any experience with an Astro wired mix amp? Mines not working fully with PS4. The audio I get is really low, like not usable low and I have the master and head set volume to max, also the game to voice chat balancer does not work at all it just raises or lowers the master volume.

I confirmed all connections are tight sure hope I missed a setting or something anyone have any insight on this issue.
Thanks

Did you check Astro's website for new firmware?
beach scrub and Mookdogg like this.

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

post #9468 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:23 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 View Post

Thanks will do, hopefully that takes care of it smile.gif
post #9469 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Great post. Yeah, 6.5 ftl is not an insignificant amount!

Considering this is the Audio Video Science Forum, I can't believe this is even being debated...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #9470 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I respect YOUR opinion, but that does not mean some others are not bothered by it. Also, as I mentioned, this has the potential to be much more of an annoyance/issue with a FP setup vs a flat panel user like you as even the smallest of light can negatively affect PQ for those that care. I can visually wash out my FP image in the right type of scene (dark) with just my cell phone screen lit up and pointing toward it, especially with my retro-reflective 2.8 HP screen which throws any eye level direct light at 2.8 times the original luminance right back at you. So yeah, I can see how this would be an issue for some. Fortunately it is an easy fix though with some electrical tape until/if an option comes out to switch it off.

Also, your wife not having issue with this means nothing to most of us in all due respect. My ex was not bothered by most of the things I found annoying when they would pop up as far as HT A/V issues, but she was not an obsessive A/V nut like myself either. smile.gif

Bottom line is this potential annoyance will depend on the setup/person and we should just leave it at that.
You are reading too much in my post. I responded to a very specific point: that we should "all agree" on something about this issue. I responded by saying we don't all agree and backed it up by sharing my experience, that of my wife (a bit as a parody), and referencing other people who posted they have no problems.

post #9471 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:38 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

"Very easy" and "open up a DS4" do not belong in the same sentence. :P

I see 4 screws, how is that not easy?

I said nothing about putting it back together!

Truth be told if you're just getting at the plastic that transfers the LED light and the battery, it's pretty easy. Anything else is it's more of a pain, but doesn't appear to be the same PITA taking apart a DS3 was.

If the light is bugging people with setups that bad, it's absolutely an option.
post #9472 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 View Post

Does Astro even officially support the MixAmp 5.8 as a standalone product? I have the same issue - game audio sounds great, voice chat sounds so low that I can barely make anything out.
beach scrub likes this.
post #9473 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You are reading too much in my post. I responded to a very specific point: that we should "all agree" on something about this issue. I responded by saying we don't all agree and backed it up by sharing my experience, that of my wife (a bit as a parody), and referencing other people who posted they have no problems.

This was the all agree comment though Joe.....

So lets just all agree that the light can be bright in certain environments, and not in others.

IOW, this potential issue will depend on the person/setup. How can we not all agree on that? We should all agree on that.

post #9474 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Does Astro even officially support the MixAmp 5.8 as a standalone product? I have the same issue - game audio sounds great, voice chat sounds so low that I can barely make anything out.

Did you try cranking up the chat on the system first. Hold the PS button, adjust devices and the chat volume should be there. I have mine cranked up and then I just adjust on the as needed on the headset. Using the A50's but I dont the mixamp are that different.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9475 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Does disabling the LED hinder any functionality that is essential?
post #9476 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Considering this is the Audio Video Science Forum, I can't believe this is even being debated...

No kidding! tongue.gif

post #9477 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Astro doesn't support the 5.8 anymore...it will either work or it won't. They will only support the wired Mixamp Pro.

Which reminds me I have to test out the 5.8 voice chat. I know the pro works but if I'd much prefer to go wireless if possible. Been using the 5.8 all weekend but never got a chance to try the mic.

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #9478 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 244
What are you guys using for a mic? The box-in?

I haven't used a mic yet because I've only played public matches with no-one I know. I typically turn my surround system up pretty loud, and I have 4 18" FiCar 18" IB Subs that, on PS3, can cause too much game audio to be picked up by the mic. Anyone know if PS4 lets you set mic input sensitivity?

"The Scuba Tank" thread

PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #9479 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

Did you try cranking up the chat on the system first. Hold the PS button, adjust devices and the chat volume should be there. I have mine cranked up and then I just adjust on the as needed on the headset. Using the A50's but I dont the mixamp are that different.

I saw that but didn't crank it. I thought perhaps that was my outgoing voice so I didn't want to blow people's ears out. I will adjust this when I get home and give it a whirl. Thanks.
post #9480 of 18067 Old 11-18-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 713
has anyone noticed the light on the controller?
beach scrub, freemeat and Cravit8 like this.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page