PlayStation 4 - Page 319 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9541 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 114
.....and I still can't log on to the psn. After contacting support yesterday they said they can't unlock account or change my password for 24hrs. So I waited 24hrs and still no go.....guess what support said today? wait another 24hrs. This is absurd! just to change a password.

Brand new PS4 since Friday....no play time makes me sad.

At this rate I'll be using my xbone before the ps4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9542 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Oh wow, you guys were right about the bright led light on a projection screen. It does cast shadows on my setup.

But on another note, the ps4 fired up without a hitch, I downloaded the patch, signed up for ps plus, downloaded Resogun, and updated cod without any problems. This thing is awesome!
post #9543 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

I just checked mine, lo and behold it is very quietly whirring away.

Now that I know there are moving parts on standby, I'm not entirely sure I want the system on standby ....
I'm with you. Wish I could use the iPhone app to power up or shut down the system remotely. Reason being, if I leave it in Standby and while out, a storm rolls in. I know this delicate baby can't take lightning. Yes, I have a surge protector; a Panamax that works great. However, I'd still like to shut it down remotely.

Since setting up the PS4, I have yet to shut it totally down. Sort of been scared too.... biggrin.gif
post #9544 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMABLUHD View Post

I'm with you. Wish I could use the iPhone app to power up or shut down the system remotely. Reason being, if I leave it in Standby and while out, a storm rolls in. I know this delicate baby can't take lightning. Yes, I have a surge protector; a Panamax that works great. However, I'd still like to shut it down remotely.

Since setting up the PS4, I have yet to shut it totally down. Sort of been scared too.... biggrin.gif

Not the best option but you can always use the Vita to power it down when away from home.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #9545 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

After being on hold with Sony for an hour and 15 minutes, they're sending me a box to send them my PS4. They said once they receive it that they'll overnight me a new unit. I hate that my problems (overheating requiring a USB fan to keep it from shutting off and intermittent video dropouts) weren't corrected by the software update and me lightly pounding on the side....I figured that might kick start the fan. It worked for my NES so many years ago! biggrin.gif

Despite those problems and after coming to terms with the fact that I should not play BF4 until at least two more patches- I've had numerous saves corrupted and cannot even enter MP anymore because it throws an error- the experience has been awesome. I am an eternal optimist, though. Resogun is spectacular. KZSF is amazing (and will be much more so once they add back in clan support and in-game chat outside of your party). AC4 isn't bad. Contrast is fun and unique. Playroom has been the sleeper hit in my house. My four year old won't stop asking if we can go kick around the little robots.

I love just about every new feature that the PS4 has thrown at us. It's taken some getting used to when navigating in the menu screen (is it still called the XMB), but I like the layout and the snappiness of it all.

When my hardware woes start to frustrate me I just remind myself that these things happen in all new product launches. I just wish that if I'm going to be a lottery winner it's for cash, not being the one of the select few that gets a defective PS4!
I've had two reps tell me that it will be 7 days AFTER they get the unit back and they still haven't sent me the e-mail or the box.
post #9546 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

After being on hold with Sony for an hour and 15 minutes, they're sending me a box to send them my PS4. They said once they receive it that they'll overnight me a new unit. I hate that my problems (overheating requiring a USB fan to keep it from shutting off and intermittent video dropouts) weren't corrected by the software update and me lightly pounding on the side....I figured that might kick start the fan. It worked for my NES so many years ago! biggrin.gif

Despite those problems and after coming to terms with the fact that I should not play BF4 until at least two more patches- I've had numerous saves corrupted and cannot even enter MP anymore because it throws an error- the experience has been awesome. I am an eternal optimist, though. Resogun is spectacular. KZSF is amazing (and will be much more so once they add back in clan support and in-game chat outside of your party). AC4 isn't bad. Contrast is fun and unique. Playroom has been the sleeper hit in my house. My four year old won't stop asking if we can go kick around the little robots.

I love just about every new feature that the PS4 has thrown at us. It's taken some getting used to when navigating in the menu screen (is it still called the XMB), but I like the layout and the snappiness of it all.

When my hardware woes start to frustrate me I just remind myself that these things happen in all new product launches. I just wish that if I'm going to be a lottery winner it's for cash, not being the one of the select few that gets a defective PS4!
I've had two reps tell me that it will be 7 days AFTER they get the unit back and they still haven't sent me the e-mail or the box.
Well, I'm concerned that the woman may have been blowing smoke up my ass. I certainly would rather keep my defective unit until I can find another one to buy then return it back to Amazon for a full refund. Amazon was perfectly happy with this plan since they didn't have any extra stock to replace my defective unit. I definitely won't send it to Sony until they confirm again that they'll overnight my replacement.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #9547 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 114
while I'm waiting for my account to be fixed if I sign in with another account will it ruin anything like the free 30days of ps plus?
post #9548 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 173
i don't find the lights that annoying, considering what else has lights on it thats sitting under my TV

the Panamax is the worst but at least you can turn those off, on fill brightness they will light up the room
in comparison its not THAT bright IMO and im normally not looking at it.

comparison shot i took

left to right top to bot thats

Linksys modem - PS4
Onkyo 818 - cable box - panamax on lowest setting
XPA-3 - EP4k on lights

however i could see why it might cause those with PJs an issue
post #9549 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 08:10 PM

Liked: 21
PS4 replacement drive performance data, part 1:
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/PlayStation-4-PS4-HDD-SSHD-and-SSD-Performance-Testing

And part 2:
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/PlayStation-4-PS4-Blu-ray-and-Download-HDD-Performance-Boot-Times

On the BD video front, the PS4 is according to this press release "the first product available with DTS’s new DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 decoder, enabling the game console to decode 7.1-channel soundtracks streamed in the DTS-HD format".

post #9550 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

What are you guys using for a mic? The box-in?

I haven't used a mic yet because I've only played public matches with no-one I know. I typically turn my surround system up pretty loud, and I have 4 18" FiCar 18" IB Subs that, on PS3, can cause too much game audio to be picked up by the mic. Anyone know if PS4 lets you set mic input sensitivity?

I got the Turtlebeach PC4's and love them. I like using my surround and these are a nice beefed mono headset. I also use the TB XC1's for the 360 and like them too.
post #9551 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Finally got my PS4 this evening .. Everything went flawlessly , Haven't had one issue so far..
The first player Blue light does not affect me, pretty dim but the 2nd player red LED is a flashlight and I can see the reflection in bright light .
Found out the hard way in BF4 that the Camera becomes your Mic and there doesn't seem to be a way to shut it down other then pulling the plug on it.

Overall Pretty pleased
post #9552 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I'm avoiding Walmart...so many things on my wish list (PS4 is 3rd in order of importance).

No regrets
post #9553 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

IOW, this potential issue will depend on the person/setup. How can we not all agree on that? We should all agree on that.

There's more to it than that, it seems. I waited until night to test again and sure enough, while watching a movie I couldn't see anything in the dark coming from the DS4 unless I really tilted the bar towards me. So I popped in some Killzone, kept getting shot to death, and set the DS4 down to eat a quick bite.

Well, Killzone changes the light bar depending on your health, and since I was dead the bar was bright red, glowing nearly as bright as a taillight on a car. While my whole man cave wasn't lit up, it certainly had a strong glow a good foot or so around the back of the controller.

So I think that perhaps the color plays a role, along with the reflection issues of one's display (mine isn't that bad). Maybe Sony tested it enough to pick a less intense color when movie watching and allow the developers to play around with it in actual games.
BAMABLUHD likes this.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #9554 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
If anyone is like me and can't play the games they actually paid for [BF4 and any EA from Amazon pre-order], don't forget the freebies. Resogun, Contrast, and Warframe are really amazing. Warframe caught me by compete surprise, what a fun co-op game!
post #9555 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

while I'm waiting for my account to be fixed if I sign in with another account will it ruin anything like the free 30days of ps plus?

First time PS+ member, but I believe it will be tied to whatever account you use at time of redemption. So I would recommend saving your 30-day trial. Did you get Killzone? Comes with 7day free PS plus. I have my code if you would like it, PM if you want it.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #9556 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

Okay, I scrolled back a few pages to see if this has been discussed, so if it was discussed much earlier please forgive me. My PS4 is audible when in standby mode. Not overly so, but you can hear it from several feet away. I expected it to be silent since it really shouldn't be doing anything in standby mode. Note that it wasn't even charging the controller when I could hear it.

So i checked this again tonight and can confirm there is a fan while in SB mode. Granted I was also downloading two games so perhaps that is why. That said however I could only hear the fan when I was about 6 inches away from the system. Any further and I couldn't hear a thing. Guessing you maybe have a fun issue or the system was doing something in the background?

I can say I like the ability to download in standby mode and have the system install games, updates etc. Probably be a bit before I leave the system in 100% sb mode, but def a nice feature. Using the PS app on the same wifi network i was also able to turn on/off the console, tho I foresee times when mischief can be used with the app!

One other thing I am really liking is the security features to protect your identity. Playing Knack, there are points in the game where you discover items and a notices appears to inform you that you've found said item (wtf rolleyes.gif ?)..anywho, if you configure your sharing settings you'll be informed that recording has been turned off. At first I thought it was to prevent spoilers, but eventually realized it was to keep your ID secret. Great foresight by Sony.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #9557 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
I just picked up my PS3 controller again... I can't go back to the DS3. I may need to buy another DS4 for my PS3.

I hope Youtube support is added soon for video uploads and playback.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #9558 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
My PS4 I ordered at 12;01am on nov. 15th Just shipped from Richmond VA. I Don't remember Amazon ever sending anything from there. Should have it Wed.
post #9559 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

And I forgot there also should be a way to queue downloads. It makes much more sense to go one at a time than trying to download 5 things at once.

Why queuing? So far it seems to handle multiple downloads at once w/o issue. You can pause a download (iirc), but unless you have 56k I dunno why you wouldn't want the system to manage it all for you.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #9560 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 186
All dloads are slower the more games you get simultaneously. There are no management options to pause a download once it starts - you have to delete what you can wait on to keep it from slowing down what you want first. A queuing system would be great, but it won't start all your downloads unless you manually force the once that are waiting to begin.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #9561 of 17207 Old 11-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

There's more to it than that, it seems. I waited until night to test again and sure enough, while watching a movie I couldn't see anything in the dark coming from the DS4 unless I really tilted the bar towards me. So I popped in some Killzone, kept getting shot to death, and set the DS4 down to eat a quick bite.

Well, Killzone changes the light bar depending on your health, and since I was dead the bar was bright red, glowing nearly as bright as a taillight on a car. While my whole man cave wasn't lit up, it certainly had a strong glow a good foot or so around the back of the controller.

So I think that perhaps the color plays a role, along with the reflection issues of one's display (mine isn't that bad). Maybe Sony tested it enough to pick a less intense color when movie watching and allow the developers to play around with it in actual games.

Any way you cut it though a light beaming off the back of a control is bad news for a front projection setup. There needs to be an option to turn this off.
Reddig likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #9562 of 17207 Old 11-19-2013, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I should have been more clear. Sorry. I meant renting a movie through the PSN store. Are they blu ray movies or compressed?
Quote:

Blu-ray... 1080P native (same as PS3).
Digital movies... depending on which service you shop at (PSN store, Netflix, Redbox, Vudu, Amazon, etc.), you can choose to stream or download (same as PS3).
post #9563 of 17207 Old 11-19-2013, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Some solution, duct tape on a brand new $400 gaming console?
post #9564 of 17207 Old 11-19-2013, 04:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Quote:

You can't pause downloads and it doesn't handle multiple downloads very well. Downloading 5 things at once means you can't play any of them until all five downloads are complete. Doesn't matter how fast your connection is that's just a dumb idea.

The download system worked perfect on PS3. There was no reason to change it.

Well I can certainly do without the lengthy installs and waits to put it in the background etc...the PS3 could be super annoying.

It should be just as simple as steam. Always downloads the latest version, one game at a time, and queues the rest. None of this "ready to install" nonsense, or multiple files or patches or whatever. When the DL is done, it's ready to play immediately.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #9565 of 17207 Old 11-19-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks for the suggestions from everyone regarding my noisy PS4. It seems to make different noises.

The first few times I noticed it (Sunday night/Monday morning), it sounded like a fan, even hours after putting it in standby. Audible from my couch 5-6' away from the system.

Last evening, it was still making the fan-sounding sound. I shut down the system completely for an hour or two, turned it back on, let it "get settled" (after it spun up the disk and loaded everything on the home screen and quieted down again after boot-up), and put it in standby again, and this time it made a, for lack of a better word, screeching noise. Not a loud screech, more of a muffled screech, but still a bit disconcerting. This was also audible from at least 5' away, That kind of sounds like it might be trying to access the HD or something, doesn't it?

Then I took someone's suggestion of removing the game disc before putting it in standby, and that made no difference in the sound it made. Still a "quiet" screeching noise after doing that. Went to bed, and then once I got there hoped the thing wouldn't catch fire during the night. It didn't.

This morning I go down, and it was making a, also for lack of a better description, staticy hissing sound. I'd say maybe that would be caused by interference with some of my other electronics in the vicinity, but everything else was powered down at the time. This was audible from at least 7-8' away, but I'm not sure I would have really noticed it from that far away if I wasn't already aware of it.

I know I should probably take it back for a replacement, but I doubt that GameStop will have any. I'm away on vacation for nine days starting on Friday, so I guess there is no rush for a replacement since I won't have time to play it between now and December. I will definitely be powering it down completely before I leave, though. I just think it is going to be hard to exchange it during the holidays.

In action, I've not had any problems with the system. I had it on for probably 17 hours from the time I brought it home on Friday morning until the wee hours of Saturday morning. Had it on for probably 8-10 hours on Saturday and off-and-on for about 5 hours on Sunday. I guess I could just not use standby mode, but it is nice for charging the controller as it is hard to charge the controller while playing since the cable is so short. Also, it would be nice for it to update itself and games whenever it wants.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #9566 of 17207 Old 11-19-2013, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Is the default blue for the main account? Every time I log in, my DS4 lights blue which is perhaps the brightest. When my son logs in, his lights red which isn't nearly as noticeable. I see a market for DS4 "shades" in the near future.
post #9567 of 17207 Old 11-19-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

My PS4 I ordered at 12;01am on nov. 15th Just shipped from Richmond VA. I Don't remember Amazon ever sending anything from there. Should have it Wed.

Richmond is where Amazon opened up two distribution centers. And I guess is part of the reason that we now get charged tax in Virginia for Amazon purchases.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #9568 of 17207 Old 11-19-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:

You can't pause downloads and it doesn't handle multiple downloads very well. Downloading 5 things at once means you can't play any of them until all five downloads are complete. Doesn't matter how fast your connection is that's just a dumb idea.

The download system worked perfect on PS3. There was no reason to change it.

My Android phone used to do this. If there was a bunch of updates it would download all at the same time so it would take much longer. At some point they changed it so it would download one at a time. That way you can access the apps that were updated quicker. I would expect Sony to correct this problem at some point too. Downloading a bunch of things concurrently is not the best way to do it.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #9569 of 17207 Old 11-19-2013, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Is anybody else bothered that the fan spins on suspended PS4s? I'm not entirely sure I'm comfortable with it 'running' basically all the time. Is that silly?
post #9570 of 17207 Old 11-19-2013, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I'm actually getting used to the blue light. Also I thought of some ideas after using as a flash light to read activation codes. Say a game comes with a map or something and in the game you have to do something to unlock the right color on the controller and then you use the controller as a flash light on the map and with the right color it will unviel a secret or something. Kinda like in the movie National Treasure.
curtlots likes this.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page