PlayStation 4 - Page 328 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2013, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Well, it was sitting there waiting for me, so FW updates do work. The system then took about 2-3 min to prepare it, which my guess is checking to make sure the file is good. Reboot, install, no issues.

For those of you with Harmony remotes, would HDMI-CEC through your TV work? PS4 support it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

I don't think the system updates are progressive, meaning that even if they make one minor change, you have to download the update in its entirety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Bingo, anyone downloading the firmware has to be able to use that update. Even if they are on 1.0 upgrading to 5.0, it has to work.

Okay that makes sense. Too bad Sony can't come up w/ whatever voodoo Apple uses for its iOS updates. Not that it mattered; it downloaded in under 2 mins and I was up and running quickly after that.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 33
BTW I updated my firmware and put the system in suspend. At first blush I didn't think the fan was running 3 hours later. Than I wet my finger and put it behind the console - yep the fan is running VERY VERY low. FWIW.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Very thorough article, probably one of the best I've read yet for this gen. Lots of comparison pics, videos at the neogaft topic as well.

Anandtech: The Xbox One - Mini Review & Comparison to Xbox 360/PS4
http://anandtech.com/show/7528/the-xbox-one-mini-review-hardware-analysis
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719483

Thanks for posting. Perhaps one would not notice in gameplay and without side-by-side pictures, but the screenshots reflected very well on the PS4.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Out of curiosity, what speeds are you guys seeing when doing a network connection test? I know that the tests on the PS3 were always really terrible (innaccurate download/upload speeds), but the numbers I'm getting are EXTREMELY low via my Wireless N connection. Last time I did a test I was getting 1.2 down/2 up.

My only other option is to use my powerline adapter. I might have to do some tests. Anyone know what ports need to be forwarded on your router?

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Old 11-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

Out of curiosity, what speeds are you guys seeing when doing a network connection test? I know that the tests on the PS3 were always really terrible (innaccurate download/upload speeds), but the numbers I'm getting are EXTREMELY low via my Wireless N connection. Last time I did a test I was getting 1.2 down/2 up.

My only other option is to use my powerline adapter. I might have to do some tests. Anyone know what ports need to be forwarded on your router?
I get about the same that I get from my computer, but I'm wired.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 560
I just put my PS4 in the DMZ, it really improves everything online related.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Please explain what that means for slow people like me.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

Quote:

same, wired, tests like 20 down 1 up which is only slightly slower vs the PC. the 1.51 update took under a min to DL
Old 11-20-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's what I was afraid of. Off to test some things with my laptop and powerline adapters!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Poop. Didn't even think of that. I'll try that first. I swear I'm not a noob at this, I've just been busy playing games lately to care about the download speed. Downloading the 1.51 update took a while, which made me start thinking about network speed.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDSapper View Post

Please explain what that means for slow people like me.

Basically, it allows a device to bypass all network security in your router. It sends the signal untouched from the net to your console. (Do Not do this with a PC, but a console is fine)

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Support-PSN/How-to-put-your-PS3-into-a-DMZ/td-p/10655314

The PS4 process is almost identical.
HDSapper and Cravit8 like this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 141
So its official, my 2nd ps4 is dead. Blue blinking light. Sometimes solid white. It freezes on boot, doesn't even get into the XMB usually locks right at the ps4 symbol.

Rebuild database did nothing. Reinitialize got me running right up to the point where you choose your time zone and freezes. So, its either going back to Walmart (but they got none left and getting no more soon, apparently corporate even canceled the next shipment but the store doesn't know why) for a refund and buy another elsewhere...doubt I'll find one. Or return to Sony and get a refurb. Yay. So sad, wanted a new toy, loved my Ps3, was hoping for a similar love but so far after losing two...piece of junk not ready for prime time. My brain tells me to run away from it, but my heart wants to play some PS4!

I planned to buy both consoles anyways, but the PS4 was the one I wasn't worried about...the irony.
SharpOne likes this.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

So its official, my 2nd ps4 is dead. Blue blinking light. Sometimes solid white. It freezes on boot, doesn't even get into the XMB usually locks right at the ps4 symbol.

Rebuild database did nothing. Reinitialize got me running right up to the point where you choose your time zone and freezes. So, its either going back to Walmart (but they got none left and getting no more soon, apparently corporate even canceled the next shipment but the store doesn't know why) for a refund and buy another elsewhere...doubt I'll find one. Or return to Sony and get a refurb. Yay. So sad, wanted a new toy, loved my Ps3, was hoping for a similar love but so far after losing two...piece of junk not ready for prime time. My brain tells me to run away from it, but my heart wants to play some PS4!

I planned to buy both consoles anyways, but the PS4 was the one I wasn't worried about...the irony.

Don't give up...keep the dream alive! Was that inspirational? smile.gif

I'd say give Sony a shot. I thought I read that they were turning units around/replacing them very quickly. At this stage, a refurb will still be new. The system hasn't hit a week yet. Either that, or return it and try a different store.

Good luck! Hope you get to game it up soon.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:

Sony is sending replacements overnight.. they will ship you a box and they will overnight a replacement when hey get it
Old 11-20-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 141
thanks guys. It won't be overnight here, it would probably be a week before I even see the first box, another week before they get it back, and so on. 3 weeks min I'd say. Xmas being so close is not going to help either so I'm going to call around and see what I can find, decide from there. But she's packed up, ready to go somewhere.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
That sucks! Why 3 weeks? Are you in a remote part of Canada?
Old 11-20-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Has anyone heard anything about this remote for the PS4 that Amazon has?

DreamGEAR Bluray Remote for PlayStation 4

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EV0CTK4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3RAJV1OT3B4BE&coliid=IY7BS1AD95NWH

It says the release date is at the end of the year.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 11-20-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

After an hour of trying different methods of connecting (assigning statip IP, putting PS4 into DMZ, using powerline adapter), I've come to the conclusion that the PS4 has the same horrible wireless network connectivity that plagued the PS3. No matter what I tried on the Wireless N front, I could never get better than 5Mbps down according to the test. Using the powerline adapter, I was about to get 10-15Mbps down consistently. I also tested downloading a game (PS4 version of Flower). Using the powerline adapter, the download finished almost 10 minutes quicker than on Wireless N. Powerline adapter: 12 minutes. Wireless N: 21 minutes.

What's really puzzling is that every other 2.4Ghz N-compatible device I have in the house always hits 35Mbps down when doing speed tests from various servers. I know that Sony states that the numbers are "Estimates Only," but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say their wireless NIC isn't very good. I know this may seem like I'm ranting, and I probably am, but I find it amusing and frustrating that my $70 Bluray player not only gets better connectivity to my network, but also supports the 5Ghz band.

Maybe I'll look into getting a 5Ghz wireless access point and set it up as a bridge to see if I can bump up the speed.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:

Sound like something went wrong with the consoles shipped to your area. Did you ask why they canceled their next shipment? Maybe you really did get a sequential bad batch.

Sony is overnighting boxes for overnight shipments and will overnight a brand new unit to you from their keep. I'd say go for it. Maybe you can talk them into free plus as well for you troubles seeing as you someone won the turd sandwich lottery twice.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Basically, it allows a device to bypass all network security in your router. It sends the signal untouched from the net to your console. (Do Not do this with a PC, but a console is fine)

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Support-PSN/How-to-put-your-PS3-into-a-DMZ/td-p/10655314

The PS4 process is almost identical.

Awesome. Thanks for the info and link.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:

That sucks! How was it packed? My Amazon unit's HDMI failed too. It wasn't packed well, as mentioned in this thread earlier. My Costco unit is fine though....knock on wood!

It was packed like you would pack it if you wanted a fragile porcelain plate to break when shipping, by being placed in the bottom of a large box with some bubble wrap sprinkled on top.
Both consoles packed this way, just like we saw in the youtube video...that I thought was just acting of faux packing.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Old 11-20-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettXNA View Post

I have noticed when watching films/tv with Amazon Instant Video on PS4 their is some chugging (judder?) when the camera is panning. I was watching an episode of Fringe earlier today and the camera motion when panning was noticeably chugging - definitely not smooth.
I tested this with the same episode on Amazon on my ps3 (hooked to same hdmi receiver and projector) and it was smooth - no chugging.
It was also not present with a Roku on a Bravia 40" elsewhere in the house.
Anyone else seeing this ?

Edit: Meant to say it was smooth on my ps3 doh!

I was actually going to chime in yesterday that something was off with the Amazon app, and it almost looks blurry to me, like the whole app is 720 stretched to 1080.

All the 1080p/24 BDs that I watch have crazy amount of flicker. I wonder if it's my new TV's interaction with 24 cadence.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

So after doing a bit of digging, it appears that many people are having issues with the WiFi on the PS4 (slow download speeds, normal upload speeds). My powerline adapter will have to do for now. I wish that I had an option to run straight into the router. I NOW remember why I don't use WiFi for game consoles. biggrin.gif

Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So after doing a bit of digging, it appears that many people are having issues with the WiFi on the PS4 (slow download speeds, normal upload speeds). My powerline adapter will have to do for now. I wish that I had an option to run straight into the router. I NOW remember why I don't use WiFi for game consoles. biggrin.gif

I don't know man, my fat 160 sat right behind a 58" Plasma (a contributor to major radio interference) and got darn near perfect wifi connectivity to a router 50feet away tucked behind a AC handler over the washer/dryer...
Most people I've helped troubleshoot connectivity, it's always something with the router (competing channels, router facing wrong way, etc).

Old 11-20-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Yes if wifi is setup and working properly, you should not notice any difference between that and a wired connection. Although with the PS3 it was slow because it only had b/g. With N speeds you should not notice a difference except maybe with download speeds. Depending on how fast your internet connection is.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 11-20-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

And that's what is puzzling. Every other device I have in the same room connected to the same router is fine. It just doesn't make any sense. I'm getting 35Mbps down on every other device on Wireless N (both 2.4Ghz AND 5Ghz). With the PS4, I'm lucky to get 5Mbps down.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
well BF4 seemed a ton more stable - got to play at least 6 games of rush then it did crash post a game .....

new update looks good

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
Old 11-20-2013, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 209
No need to blame it only on WiFi - I've had some terrible dload speeds the first few days when I was getting stuff, and I use a direct cable connection to my router and the PS4. Maybe Sony is still ramping up the online infrastructure. Sometimes it is really good, but other times it was pretty bad.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Old 11-20-2013, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Very true, Joe. I also looked at my area and found out that I along with 4 others were broadcasting our SSID on channel 4. Changed it to something that wasn't as used and now get the same consistent speed results as my powerline adapter. Talk about jumping the gun and blaming Sony. I are dumb. Haha.

And yeah, Friday and Saturday were pretty brutal in terms of download speed. Luckily, the only digital game I bought was Assassin's Creed Black Flag along with the PS+ freebies, so I still had 4 disc based games to pick and choose from.

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console