PlayStation 4 - Page 343 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10261 of 17848 Old 11-26-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Someone on Neogaf is doing battery tests on the DS4 with the LEDs disabled vs enabled. These are very bright LEDs and are consuming a lot of power. (Much more detail in the link below)

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=723148

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10262 of 17848 Old 11-26-2013, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
PCM reduces the sound by 6 decibels. So yeah you are hearing DTS as louder -- and thinking its more clear when its just more loud.

So just turn up your AVR a notch.
TeflonSoul likes this.
post #10263 of 17848 Old 11-26-2013, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Ok, so BF4's patch didn't download while in standby. Seems there was also a patch for Resogun, same thing, although it was tiny in comparison.

600MB in 3 min isn't bad, but I thought this was a feature of standby mode?

I played Resogun tonight and the system didn't even mention there was a patch available (not to mention not downloading it automatically). How can I manually force it to check for an update?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

176GBps vs 68GBps is a fairly large gap. The esram is being used as a frame buffer (because using it as a scratch pad is very complicated) and even with it's bandwith it is still much slower than what is in the PS4.

I'm glad I chose the PS4 over the Xbone. I'm not interested in all the media stuff and connect - I just want the pure gaming machine and its great to hear that the PS4 is a more powerful box hardware-wise. I guess ultimately what it comes down to is whether this results in games that look and/or play better on the PS4 compared to the Xbone. It sounds like its capable, but whether the developers will go out of there way to make the game that much better on the PS4 if possible remains to be seen. So it may not make any difference I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

At least Plus will be 29.99 at "most major retailers" this Friday, which hopefully includes Amazon codes or even on the PS store itself.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Where did you hear about it? I've been looking at BF deal info for a while now - first I heard of it. Anyway I certainly appreciate you mentioning it.
post #10264 of 17848 Old 11-26-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Would be nice to have "instant resume" like the Xbone

So far I'm very happy with the PS4 and glad I chose it over the Xbone. I only use consoles for gaming so all the media stuff and fluff on the Xbone may be cool but not interesting to me.

That said, the ONE feature so far that I am envious over is the Xbone's instant resume, whereby you can put the console into standby and then later result exactly where you were - without worrying about waiting for saves and checkpoints.

This is especially the case because I'm not the best gamer and it can take me a long time to play through levels, and sometimes the checkpoints are far apart. As an example, Killzone has long sections you must play through (despite multiple checkpoints in the section) before a Save point is reached. This means that sometimes I have to play a lot longer than I have time for or want to at that moment, because I don't want to lose 30+ minutes of game-play, yet I'm still far from a save point. That instant resume feature would sure be nice.

Does anyone thing we may see Sony add this feature at some point to the PS4?
post #10265 of 17848 Old 11-26-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

The feature was cut for launch, it should be in an update before long.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #10266 of 17848 Old 11-26-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
They already promised it, so I'd count on it.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #10267 of 17848 Old 11-26-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Someone on Neogaf is doing battery tests on the DS4 with the LEDs disabled vs enabled. These are very bright LEDs and are consuming a lot of power. (Much more detail in the link below)

Thanks for this. I like to game in the dark and the ridiculously bright light bar is a nuisance. I've used car window tinting to tone it down for now. It is cool in some cases - like in Killzone they use it to indicate your health. I actually like that visual feedback a lot. But still even in this case dropping the brightness about 80% would be preferable. As I understand it, this light bar is needed for their camera or motion thing or something like that? I don't have those accessories and would love it if they added a way to control the brightness (or at least to turn it off).
post #10268 of 17848 Old 11-26-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Most of us used electrical tape, all AV junkies keep a roll on hand for just this reason. biggrin.gif

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #10269 of 17848 Old 11-26-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
That said the LED's likely have little impact on the battery when compared to the 2 rumble motors and the capacitive touchpad.

That seems like the most relevant quote of all. I know the battery life isn't great, but the LEDs aren't the real problem. He's just letting them sit idle and that exacerbates the effect of them. In real gameplay you'd have the rumble motors constantly firing, the controller sending a lot more data over RF. Even more so if you're using voice chat, as well as the headphone amp, the speaker, etc. All said you'll prob end up squeezing just a few more minutes out of it without the LEDs.

post #10270 of 17848 Old 11-26-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Read the results, the controller with the LED disabled was still on 3 bars while the controller with them still enabled was only 1 bar. It has a noticeable effect.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=91383676#post91383676

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #10271 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

I am with you 100%. I am an RPG guy first and foremost, so playing these launch titles is very different for me.

As am I. So much so in fact, that I'm not buying a PS4 until either Dragon Age: Inquisition or Final Fantasy XV comes out. Whichever drops first (most likely DA:I, unless something really weird happens)

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #10272 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 03:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Read the results, the controller with the LED disabled was still on 3 bars while the controller with them still enabled was only 1 bar. It has a noticeable effect.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=91383676#post91383676

Yeah, but how much of that was because the controller was basically doing nothing but shining the LED? Of course it's going to make a difference in that case.
Quote:
I think I can safely assume that the DS4 with LED on isn't going to last 24 hours of being on and idle whereas the DS4 with LED off will probably be scratching at 2 bars.

Sorry, a DS4 doesn't last anywhere near 24 hours when you're actually using it. More like 7-8 at best. So there's absolutely no way to account for how much that LED contributes to battery drain in actual play by just letting it sit there doing nothing. It's like saying the headlights on your car reduce your MPG by 50% because it burned so much more fuel when you let your car idle overnight.
beach scrub likes this.

post #10273 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

The PS4 has 18 CUs vs 12 on the Xbox One (with at least 56% more performance for rendering games)

32ROPS vs 16 (Double the pixel fill rate)

The entire 8GB of GDDR5 can be used as a frame buffer if they choose to. (And again, it is faster by a wide margin)

There is not one area where the Xbox One has an advantage over the PS4 on the GPU or memory side. This is fact. They share the same basic architecture from AMD, this is an Apples to bigger Apples comparison.

CPU can be debated but we do not know the PS4's clock speed or how many cores are available for games. No point debating the unknown just yet.

The issue with Ghost's framerate was because it was running over 60fps at times and IW didn't cap it properly resulting in tearing and judder. It drops frames no more often than any other console version.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the PS4 is definitely more powerful then the Xbox One. I still feel stating the PS4 is 50% more powerful is misleading as it is not that across the board. Certain areas, yes, but the entire system, no. It can't be the entire system since some of the components are the same.

post #10274 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah, but how much of that was because the controller was basically doing nothing but shining the LED? Of course it's going to make a difference in that case.
Sorry, a DS4 doesn't last anywhere near 24 hours when you're actually using it. More like 7-8 at best. So there's absolutely no way to account for how much that LED contributes to battery drain in actual play by just letting it sit there doing nothing. It's like saying the headlights on your car reduce your MPG by 50% because it burned so much more fuel when you let your car idle overnight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I bought a second controller so that while I'm using one I have the other charging. I am looking forward to a patch, if they release one, to tone down or turn off the led.
post #10275 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I don't think anyone is arguing that the PS4 is definitely more powerful then the Xbox One. I still feel stating the PS4 is 50% more powerful is misleading as it is not that across the board. Certain areas, yes, but the entire system, no. It can't be the entire system since some of the components are the same.

OK, it is 100% the better gaming machine!
post #10276 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Thanks for the heads up on this. Where did you hear about it? I've been looking at BF deal info for a while now - first I heard of it. Anyway I certainly appreciate you mentioning it.
It's been known to be 29.99 at Gamestop for a while now from their ad but the Playstation Blog has listed a lot of Black Friday specials, but for PS + special, they are only saying it will be 29.99 at "most major retailers."
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/22/black-friday-deals-for-ps3-ps-vita-and-ps-plus/
post #10277 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Where can I pre-order the official PS4 Dual Shock 4 Controller Charging Station from?

Does anyone know where I can order this item from:

I came across it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91461832&postcount=187

Will this be sold in the US? When I google for it I only come across it on the Amazon UK website. It seems odd that Amazon in the US does not have it listed, at least as a pre-order or out of stock item.

I had previously placed an order for the POWER A Dual Shock but cancelled it once I saw the picture of this item in the UK, because it has a much smaller footprint than the POWER A one, at least from the picture.

What do you guys think?
post #10278 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracat View Post

Unfortunately for me, you are correct.

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/cell_phone_comparison_study_nov_10.pdf

I normally hate that sort of behavior myself but like Newfmp3 I also work in IT support so I thought my 13 years of experience dealing daily with iPhones, Blackberries, Android device and even years ago Palm device, I thought I had a good 'sample' of data based on my experience. Nope!

Edit: hmmm or maybe not? I don't know. The funny thing about people like you who demand proof behind personal observations, especially when that proof is only really contained inside corporate data not a lot of regular consumers have access to, is where do you get the info from? My original way (and NewMP3's) is basically the equivalent of going to a garage and asking the old-timer mechanic there "hey, so what brand cars do you see the most here in the garage, and which do you almost never see except for tune-ups?" A lot of people would say that 's a perfectly smart way to shop for a new car brand, versus quoting industry data provided by the manufacturers themselves.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/blog/2010/jul/16/apple-time-capsule-failure-calculated

Anyway, at a minimum you get a 1/2 concede from me. : )

It's all good.

Quote:

Where can I pre-order the official PS4 Dual Shock 4 Controller Charging Station from?

I came across it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91461832&postcount=187

Will this be sold in the US? When I google for it I only come across it on the Amazon UK website. It seems odd that Amazon in the US does not have it listed, at least as a pre-order or out of stock item.

I had previously placed an order for the POWER A Dual Shock but cancelled it once I saw the picture of this item in the UK, because it has a much smaller footprint than the POWER A one, at least from the picture.

What do you guys think?

I ordered the Nyko one from Amazon though there's still no shipping date for it...

Question - if I buy a couple years of PS+ on Black Friday and give them as a Christmas present, will the clock start when I buy them, or on Christmas when I give them and they are presumably then activated somehow? Sorry never had + before so am not sure how this functions.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #10279 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

It's all good.
I ordered the Nyko one from Amazon though there's still no shipping date for it...

Question - if I buy a couple years of PS+ on Black Friday and give them as a Christmas present, will the clock start when I buy them, or on Christmas when I give them and they are presumably then activated somehow? Sorry never had + before so am not sure how this functions.

The sub begins when you activate them, and they stack on each other. Even the 30 day free trial that came with the ps4 stacks too. I'm good till mid 2014 from cards I bought years ago. Thinking I might pick up another two years on Friday and not have to worry about it for years.

post #10280 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I turned my PS4 on last night and it started downloaded a COD Ghosts patch, 700mB. Version 1.07 (the last was 1.06) so it was a new updated patch. Took about 15 minutes or so to download but that prevented me from playing during that time frame. My PS4 was in standby.

I wonder if it's handling updates like it did on PS3 without the ability to set the time-range.

I'm not sure when the COD patch became active, but if our standby PS4s are set to go retrieve updates instead of them being pushed at for example 6AM and a game update goes live at 8AM, then our standby systems might not see it till 6AM the following morning.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #10281 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
My PS4 was on standby and when I logged in yesterday I got a Notification that Resogun had been installed -- which I am assuming was a patch as I already HAD Resogun installed.-- so that's working for me at least.

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #10282 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Is each bar a minute?

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #10283 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Yes. I did not have to install any patch when I started BF4 last night, so it must've installed automagically.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #10284 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I'd like to add that even though the COD Ghosts patch didn't start till I turned the system on, that I've had other patches install while in standby. I can only conclude that game updates/patches aren't pushed to the system but rather that when in standby the system goes online and "polls" for updates at some interval that we don't seem to be able to set or even be made aware of. So depending on when we turn our consoles on and when an update goes live, users will sometimes have to wait for an update. I'd much rather they push updates.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #10285 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

I'd like to add that even though the COD Ghosts patch didn't start till I turned the system on, that I've had other patches install while in standby. I can only conclude that game updates/patches aren't pushed to the system but rather that when in standby the system goes online and "polls" for updates at some interval that we don't seem to be able to set or even be made aware of. So depending on when we turn our consoles on and when an update goes live, users will sometimes have to wait for an update. I'd much rather they push updates.

Was thinking the same thing.
post #10286 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 08:24 AM

Liked: 832
Maybe next time we get a patch I'll just find a PS3 game to play and see how it goes. I wonder how long it takes to ping the servers and download the update after one goes live.
post #10287 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 08:26 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

What do you guys think?

I saw these at my local Walmart already...
post #10288 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

On the GPU and memory side there is nothing misleading about that statement. (56% takes everything into account on the Xbox side and assumes the PS4 is still 800mhz, the gap could be even larger) The PS4 has significantly more power for rendering games.

It also has double the pixel fill rate (making it easier to push higher resolutions) No limit on frame buffer size, and almost three times the practical memory bandwith.

Like I said, the only area they are similar in power is the CPU, and we still lack answers on the PS4 side to do a proper comparison. (At best Microsoft has less than a 10% lead here if the PS4 is stock and is reserving the same number of cores as the Xbox One for the OS)

Once Compute functions take over and the GPU is processing physics, audio and whatever else they want the Xbox One will be left even further in the dust. They have only a quarter of the Ace's and queues that the PS4 has. (2/16 vs 8/64)

The PS4 is stronger in all but one area, so yes, I can confidently say that the PS4 is at the very least 56% stronger than the Xbox One, I could use other areas and say it is anywhere from 100% to 200% better (Pixel fillrate, Compute) but I chose the one that matters most for gaming, the one that actually renders games.
kwaidonjin likes this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #10289 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

It's all good.

Yea I ordered the same Nyko one because of its low profile

Still waiting for it to even have an estimated shipping date
post #10290 of 17848 Old 11-27-2013, 09:14 AM

Liked: 80
Quote:

The PS4 is stronger in all but one area, so yes, I can confidently say that the PS4 is at the very least 56% stronger than the Xbox One, I could use other areas and say it is anywhere from 100% to 200% better (Pixel fillrate, Compute) but I chose the one that matters most for gaming, the one that actually renders games.
. Very true my friend, but as I stated earlier, games will be developed to the least common denominator if both install bases are within a margin of error of a few million. Basically, I agree that PS4 is the much more powerful gaming machine. However, so was PS3. Developers will continue to scale games as they are now, but won't leave NSA/XBOX1 behind. PS4 will be held back with 3rd party titles; this sucks but is business.

I sort of want the NSA/XBOX to fail for this reason. I know that MS corporate suits made the judgement call to sacrifice gaming for the HUB plans. Like most Americans who drive American made cars, most won't notice , nor care about the lack of quality and refinement; all for gaining the convenience of talking to the TV that watches, records, and reports on their living room lives. The Kinect has an infrared camera lense also. Do some research to understand the full implications of what that means.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page