PlayStation 4 - Page 361 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2013, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post

The picture settings have nothing to do with what I am referring to

The only setting I am changing on the tv is going from HDMI/DVI Range from atuo-nonstandard-16-235

The PS4 is on AUTO for RGB as well as it says recommended

The problem is that when on Auto on the PS4 and 16-235 on the panny tv the checkerboard test pattern I have with 28 blocks crush more then half the blocks

If I set the PS4 to limited instead of Auto it shows 26 out of the 28 checkerboard blocks which is the correct way of displaying.

But my xb1 is on RGB limited and if I leave the setting on the panny on auto it will wash out blacks but the checkerboard works perfect. If I put the tv to 16-235 and xb1 to RGB limited then blacks are blacks but the checkerboard is crushed on most of the checkerboard boxes.

The big issue is that the calibration tool in the xb1 shows that 16-235 on the tv and limited on the xb1 shows the calibration as it should but the checkerboard says otherwise

There is a problem for sure with both consoles at least on my panny tv

I understand that. But in theory the limited setting would not display the other blocks as a lower gradient past 15 correct? So you wold want to calibrate your display to get down to there (15) at least to see if those shades are even visible. And not only that but you would need to calibrate each device separately on your display. The PS4 and XBONE will have different "adjustments" to their picture before sending them off. So first calibrate the display on limted then calibrate it again on full. Also if you have a ps3...try it with that as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 29
No surprise. Its just plain damn pathetic. I heard people starting lining up 1-2 a.m. at Best Buy stores. Anything for little Johnny this year for xmas. Another thing that gets me and its enough to start a war. When these stores sell more then 1 to the same person. If you have been waiting in line for hours. They will sell the last 2 if that person wants them. Happened to my neighbor with the Wii when it first came out. People only want the PS4 for bragging rights and just to have it. Nothing compelling on it that you just have to have it. Plus you have the scalpers that don't even want it. Taking from people that do. I got mine for KZ, Knack, and Resogun. So, I actually had reason to want one. Most comments are idiots buying multiplat games for it. Example. COD Ghosts the number 1 seller on PS4. That is so sad.

Example from today.

Well my journey is over , went to best buy at 3:30 am I was the 15th person in line that ended up being 100 people by 10 am. They only had 75 ps4 and i dont know how many xbox 1 they had but it was sad out of all those people who showed up only 2 people bought xboxes, the best buy employees were even making fun of it. Some people didnt get there ps4 because they showed up at 9am right when tickets were handed out. I want to thank xxxxxxxxxx.net for helping me get this done.

Another. Look at this genius that wanted it just to want it!

Just sold my ps4 for what I paid for it locally. I was not impressed with the system, maybe it will get better when new games are released. I hope it's just me and you guys think otherwise
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Son of a bi..... Guy in front of me got last ps4 ticket at best buy. Still had Plenty of xbox one tickets.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild View Post

No surprise. Its just plain damn pathetic. I heard people starting lining up 1-2 a.m. at Best Buy stores. Anything for little Johnny this year for xmas. Another thing that gets me and its enough to start a war. When these stores sell more then 1 to the same person. If you have been waiting in line for hours. They will sell the last 2 if that person wants them. Happened to my neighbor with the Wii when it first came out. People only want the PS4 for bragging rights and just to have it. Nothing compelling on it that you just have to have it. Plus you have the scalpers that don't even want it. Taking from people that do. I got mine for KZ, Knack, and Resogun. So, I actually had reason to want one. Most comments are idiots buying multiplat games for it. Example. COD Ghosts the number 1 seller on PS4. That is so sad.

Example from today.

Well my journey is over , went to best buy at 3:30 am I was the 15th person in line that ended up being 100 people by 10 am. They only had 75 ps4 and i dont know how many xbox 1 they had but it was sad out of all those people who showed up only 2 people bought xboxes, the best buy employees were even making fun of it. Some people didnt get there ps4 because they showed up at 9am right when tickets were handed out. I want to thank xxxxxxxxxx.net for helping me get this done.

Another. Look at this genius!

Just sold my ps4 for what I paid for it locally. I was not impressed with the system, maybe it will get better when new games are released. I hope it's just me and you guys think otherwise

Really? So your reason for owning yours is better than my reason for gifting one? Give me a break. As far as people lining up at 1 or 2 am goes it happened for cabbage patch kid dolls too biggrin.gif
Old 12-08-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

Looks at thread title, yep still says PlayStation 4. Why are we talking PC again? We get it....PC > PS4 which is > xbone which is > WiiU which is... this was a fun discussion when we were waiting on new toys but now its very old.

OT: if anyone wants to continue the PC discussion from a console gamers' perspective, feel free to click the link in my sig and participate! smile.gif Post #1 in that thread I wrote a Q&A about PC gaming that will hopefully be helpful to those who have been exclusive to consoles over the last couple years.

There's a lot of people active in the Playstation and Xbox forums that say they also game on the PC but rarely visit the HTPC forum, if at all. Come give us some love! wink.gif
lordxar5 likes this.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
Old 12-08-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
I remember when I was "little Johnny" and was happy my parents gave two shirts about me.
Nayan and d_m1010 like this.

"When crazy is standard, sane needs a name tag."
Old 12-08-2013, 10:45 AM

Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I remember when I was "little Johnny" and was happy my parents gave two shirts about me.

Better than two socks
Old 12-08-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Better than two socks
...individually wrapped
Old 12-08-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post

Anyone considering purchasing the Sony protection plan? We launch day purchasers have one week to do it since they only give you 30 days from date of purchase. Accidental is $60 and non accidental is $50, both for 3 years I think. Can be purchased directly through the PS Store too. What do you guys think? Worth it? Not worth it?

I bought it. $60 isn't really that much in relation to the console's cost, (no games I want at the moment) and until 11/15/2016 I have warranty. Simple piece of mind. ****** it doesn't appear to start after Sony 1yr warranty expires, but still better than nothing. I look at it as $20/yr over the time of the coverage and if something simple and stupid breaks my PS4 I am not having to fork over $400 again.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
Old 12-08-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Son of a bi..... Guy in front of me got last ps4 ticket at best buy. Still had Plenty of xbox one tickets.

Sucky. Don't forget stores like Fred Meyers carry the console (assuming you have em). People tend to forget that they have electronics depts.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
Old 12-08-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

I bought it. $60 isn't really that much in relation to the console's cost, (no games I want at the moment) and until 11/15/2016 I have warranty. Simple piece of mind. ****** it doesn't appear to start after Sony 1yr warranty expires, but still better than nothing. I look at it as $20/yr over the time of the coverage and if something simple and stupid breaks my PS4 I am not having to fork over $400 again.

Wait! So it starts after the one year standard warranty? Does that mean the extra warranty stacks bringing it to four years of coverage?

PSN:Lodolfan16
XBL: Lodolfan16

LordXarsNexus to Shmoopy- "We're not playing Soccer, we're playing Rocket League!"
Old 12-08-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:

Wait! So it starts after the one year standard warranty? Does that mean the extra warranty stacks bringing it to four years of coverage?
Might want to reread his post...
Old 12-08-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:

Anyone considering purchasing the Sony protection plan? We launch day purchasers have one week to do it since they only give you 30 days from date of purchase. Accidental is $60 and non accidental is $50, both for 3 years I think. Can be purchased directly through the PS Store too. What do you guys think? Worth it? Not worth it?
It was discuss about 3 weeks ago, SquareTrade Vs Sony. I chose Sony ADH warranty but normally alway choose ST and never the manufacturer. Sony has unlimited claims and replace all claimed parts with refurbs. ST will likely give a single refund check and I don't know the claim limit, Give them a simple call and maybe post back here the answers they give. The accident part seems to be most important for the DS4, when are you going to drop the PS4 or spill water on it?

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Old 12-08-2013, 01:29 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild View Post

Example from today.

Another. Look at this genius that wanted it just to want it!

My god, that's insane. I'm in Cypress, TX and didn't even plan on getting one today. I went to grab coffee at 9:15am and see what the line looked like. There were only about 6 people in line. Decided to check it out and a few more people were huddled inside the entry part of the store staying warm. An employee came back out and handed out tickets. I would say from what I heard, the PS4 was being bought 8-1 over the xb1.

When they opened at 10am everyone who came earlier in the morning came back to the store. By the time I got in after getting a game it was pretty crowded. The people I talked to and overheard most said they came in the 7am hour and got a ticket and went home. Another guy I overheard who had the same mentality as me. He didn't come until after 10 and got one of the last tickets for the ps4.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

Sucky. Don't forget stores like Fred Meyers carry the console (assuming you have em). People tend to forget that they have electronics depts.

I don't think there are any of those near me in CA. We have Frys but they didn't get any aside from the very first day.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Hey FR, on PC. I was just wondering how you get that kind of resolution. Is it due to the graphics card or the monitor?

1440p? My monitor, but of course you also need a powerful enough system to run games at that resolution. Any mid range pc will range last gen games at that resolution with no issue but next gen games like crysis 3, battlefield 3 etc need quite a powerful rig. It will require some impressive coding to get crysis 3 running on current gen consoles as it really does need a lot of power to max everything out and achieve 60fps (which in this game is a must imho and the ps3/360 versions where borderline unplayable due to their low frame rate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

I wouldn't really expect launch titles to be true "next gen" though, that has been the case with pretty much any new console, launch titles are current gen titles on steroids IMO, the real stuff come out around a year later. If I'm not mistaken these launch titles are even more affected because they probably haven't been in development with the 8GB of RAM in mind.

That's one of the reasons I don't own a PS4 just yet, when I start the first title that I'm very interested it, I'd like to be blown away lol. Hopefully MGS:Ground Zeroes will be polished enough to impress me.

Killzone (add Infamous in March as well) made the ps4 a must buy for me and it is true that most of the dev time for even this game (a first party game) was done with 4gb in mind, this however allowed for 60fps in multiplayer. I would happily sacrifice graphics for 60fps and really do hope that most games target a higher frame rate this gen (or are we still calling it next gen). Still it is very disappointing to see Killzone take a big step back in terms of enemy reactions. As I said my aim is not to talk down to console, just to point out there is room for ports of some games (as there is a huge leap to be had in some cases). In fact I woudl go as far as to say Killzone 2 is a better looking game (despite in most area being technically inferior), that is what a consistent art design allows for. Shadow Fall just fells like it is trying to be another big seller and has bright shiny images everywhere and losses it's style in the process (the change in music was also an incredibly bad change).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

Looks at thread title, yep still says PlayStation 4. Why are we talking PC again? We get it....PC > PS4 which is > xbone which is > WiiU which is... this was a fun discussion when we were waiting on new toys but now its very old.

Meanwhile...I noticed that the video capture feature does not record trophy pops or messaging at all.

I don't think pc >ps4. I think they are just different. I do think there are several pc versions of games that would be worth bringing across to next gen. The Metro games and Crysis trillogy in particular.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I just purchased trine 2, and wow that it a lot of fun. The graphics are quite pretty as well.

Psn: memnoch1010
Xbox live: meadoch
Old 12-08-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does not stack. States that it starts from your date of purchase per receipt (which you will need to claim warranty).

YouTube Gameplay Videos
Old 12-08-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 856
@FilmReverie I could be on board with that. There are some really good looking games that could be brought forward.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:00 PM

Liked: 29
Accidental needs to be purchased with in 30 days. The other warranty can be bought any time with in the warranty period. So, you have a full year to buy it. Clearly states these things on the Sony website. I take care of my things and have no kids. So, accidental is a pass for me. But, will be purchasing the other warranty.
Quote:

Old 12-08-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I think I found another new PS4 upgrade perk over the PS3... pressing the Option button pauses cut scenes (at least it does in KZ:SF). Help me test other games to see if it is universal.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Old 12-08-2013, 04:30 PM

Liked: 44
Forgive my ignorance - how do so many people know that Best Buy had PS4's in stock this morning? I imagine there is some sort of website giving tips? Not interested in buying one now as I have an Xbox One but I'll buy a PS4 when some triple A exclusives are available (e.g., Uncharted, etc.).
Old 12-08-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_lb View Post

Forgive my ignorance - how do so many people know that Best Buy had PS4's in stock this morning? I imagine there is some sort of website giving tips? Not interested in buying one now as I have an Xbox One but I'll buy a PS4 when some triple A exclusives are available (e.g., Uncharted, etc.).

There was an ad in the Sunday paper in my area northeast PA, maybe it was nationwide. Also Xbox ones were for sale too.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I think I found another new PS4 upgrade perk over the PS3... pressing the Option button pauses cut scenes (at least it does in KZ:SF). Help me test other games to see if it is universal.

Yea, Knack does, and AC4 does (current owned titles).
Quote:

I knew about it as it was reported to several game sites I follow. Dualshockers.com is a good site and they indicated that most retailers will generally always restock for Sunday to meet their ads. Quantity is always limited. Following sites and this forum helps as people generally are on the ball when it comes to inventory alerts.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
Old 12-08-2013, 04:51 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Read enough crap online and you'll find it. Articles started coming out late last week about Best Buy having PS4's this Sunday (supposedly every Sunday). Best Buy also tweeted it out yesterday.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

There was an ad in the Sunday paper in my area northeast PA, maybe it was nationwide. Also Xbox ones were for sale too.
Quote:

Had the same thing in my area in southeast PA.
comfynumb likes this.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying need for speed, but I'm usually not a racing game sort of guy. The reviews are great saying that it's a lot of fun, and due to the current drought, I was thinking about picking it up. What do you all think of it?

Psn: memnoch1010
Xbox live: meadoch
Old 12-09-2013, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying need for speed, but I'm usually not a racing game sort of guy. The reviews are great saying that it's a lot of fun, and due to the current drought, I was thinking about picking it up. What do you all think of it?

I am not a racing fan usually either but I do enjoy the occasional arcade racing game. Personally it hasn't grabbed my interest and after 30 minutes at most I usually find myself playing something else.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

I picked it up for about 20 bucks. I have invested about 10 hours in two days. It reminds me of burnout paradise which is a great game i still play today on ps3. NFS feels a bit more bland as there were more events/jumps/parks/city streets in comparison. But in this one the thrill is not getting caught and this time you get real names on your cars like bmw/nissan/ferrari/maserati etc. for 20 bucks i cant complain. I won't buy games at full retail either so take that as you will
Old 12-09-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 70
I think Need for Speed is a great game. I only enjoy arcade racers and this one fits the bill nicely. Burnout 3 Takedown is still my favorite.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

How does Sony's extended replacement/protection plan work? If it breaks do they send me a refurb advanced exchange, or do you need to ship your old unit back and then they have to verify there is a problem and only then at their discretion do they replace it with a refurb? Also is it right to assume the coverage is tied to a specific unit? So if you buy it now and 2 years later you sell it and replace it with a new one (such as if the units get some mild improvements (aka fat to slim)) you still have the last year left on the warranty?

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Console , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 4 Games , Sony