post #10891 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post

Still debating if I should pick up a warranty at all. Actually, would have to pick up two warranties. One for my PS4 and one for my son's PS4.

Unless you are very risk-averse (and are the type to purchase lots of warranties on other products) or the type to select auto insurance with really low deductibles but really high premiums (to avoid the unlikely higher one-time deductible should you ever be in a wreck that is your fault), I'd pass on the warranty.

Unlikely that you would ever need it and paying for it now drives up the cost of ownership for a relatively low risk. They offer these warranties/insurance because on the whole they are profitable to them - they make more off the warranty price than what the claims cost them for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Ahhah! Knew i wasn't that crazy. Having a head cold and reading articles is a bad thing.

Whats interesting is that if you look at Sony's Protection Plan index site (http://us.playstation.com/support/protection-plan/index.htm) no where does it mention that you can buy within the 1yr manf. warranty period.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @gundumgaming

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10893 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
All you have to do is take some time and you know read?

Who is eligible to purchase these new service plans?
The PlayStation® Protection Plans are available for purchase by customers who are still within their original one-year limited warranty. Accidental Damage Plans are available to anyone who has purchased a system in the past 30 days.

http://us.playstation.com/support/protection-plan/faqs/index.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Both protection plans say 30 days from purchase. Where do you see the non accidental set saying 1 year from purchase?
post #10894 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post

Unless you are very risk-averse (and are the type to purchase lots of warranties on other products) or the type to select auto insurance with really low deductibles but really high premiums (to avoid the unlikely higher one-time deductible should you ever be in a wreck that is your fault), I'd pass on the warranty.

Unlikely that you would ever need it and paying for it now drives up the cost of ownership for a relatively low risk. They offer these warranties/insurance because on the whole they are profitable to them - they make more off the warranty price than what the claims cost them for sure.

Maybe.

Things I've come to realize:
  • I've never made it more than 18 months without a smart phone issue (seems this can apply to tablets as well for some).
  • Launch console not manufactured by Nintendo always have problems pop up for a not so small minority of users.
  • Top brand TV's aren't made to last anymore, but are more expensive than ever, even as they still offer the better IQ.

I'd recommend warranties for those three products due to their price, and the cost of investment surrounding them. You need your phone, you're not going to walk away for the physical and digital investment in a console, and few families want to go extended periods without a TV in the family room.

Everything else, as long as it's not prohibitively expensive to replace, I pass on.
post #10895 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 554
TV's are less expensive than ever.. but other than that, yeah they have issues. My 65" Panny just hit the 7 red lights of death, thankfully under warranty.

I feel much more secure buying an extended warranty for the PS4. PS3's weren't nearly as bad as Xbox 360's but still there were issues.
post #10896 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Got to be honest with you. I've had lots of success with Sony products. I purchased al 40 GB Fat PS3 back I'm December 2007. Ended up trading it at BBY a few weeks a ago during their $100 trade in offer. Only PS3 I owned during its generation. That's why I'm debating.

It's nice to have the piece of mind, but I may never need it like I never needed it with the PS3.

PSN:Lodolfan16
XBL: Lodolfan16
post #10897 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 12:04 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Looks like Walmart is allowed to sell the units they are stocking for the Sunday sale, all you have to do is ask. Get them while you can!

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=733060

I saw this message and went to walmart and got it! The sales guy said they got a bunch in last night. Thanks for the heads up.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501.
post #10898 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post

Still debating if I should pick up a warranty at all. Actually, would have to pick up two warranties. One for my PS4 and one for my son's PS4.

Never got an extended warranty in my life crew, checking in.

47 yrs old, and a gadget/electronics freak. Never have bought one, never have needed one (knock on wood).

I did have a 80 gig fat die on me, but that was several years old, and it didn't bother me too much. Other than that, I can't think of any of my phones, game systems, tablets, tvs, surround sounds that ever had an issue.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #10899 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 713
the bigger thing to think about with warranties is..
if i bought a warranty on every electronic device would that amount exceed the money i have spent (or potentially spent) replacing those devices...
post #10900 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Maybe.

Things I've come to realize:
  • I've never made it more than 18 months without a smart phone issue (seems this can apply to tablets as well for some).
  • Launch console not manufactured by Nintendo always have problems pop up for a not so small minority of users.
  • Top brand TV's aren't made to last anymore, but are more expensive than ever, even as they still offer the better IQ.

I'd recommend warranties for those three products due to their price, and the cost of investment surrounding them. You need your phone, you're not going to walk away for the physical and digital investment in a console, and few families want to go extended periods without a TV in the family room.

Everything else, as long as it's not prohibitively expensive to replace, I pass on.

yeah, maybe it is me, but I definitely would not get one on a TV as prices will continue to go down at a record rate. By the time it breaks down (if ever before I decide to replace it), I could get a much newer/better model for much cheaper. I wonder what the % of PS3's that needed to be replaced? I would think pretty low. Mine from launch still doing nicely. And if I were to have to replace, there is some benefit to getting a new model, bigger HD, bundle package instead of a refurb.

I do like your priorities though. For me, I was thinking essentials would be applicances like the refrigerator, etc biggrin.gif
post #10901 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 12:22 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

if i bought a warranty on every electronic device would that amount exceed the money i have spent (or potentially spent) replacing those devices...

Yup, I also bought a ST warranty + ADH for my Nexus 5; but I'll probably sell it back to them 4-6 months in since it was $90 + a $99 deductible if I have a claim. After a few months it doesn't make much sense anymore (Save $10 a month and in 24 months that $250 towards a new phone, not even accounting for the deprecation in your old one). Apparently they'll buy these back if you decide you don't want them anymore, minus a charge of course.
Quote:

I do like your priorities though. For me, I was thinking essentials would be applicances like the refrigerator, etc biggrin.gif

As a renter, I'm already paying to not worry about that just yet. Maybe sometime in the future I'll have to.

tongue.gif
post #10902 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 419
I haven't bought a warranty in years. Whenever I've needed one something blocked it. I take that back, I did get a warranty on our washer and dryer but it was super cheap and for like 5 years.

Was able to get my 360 Elite repaired by MS when the DVD drive died and did have luck on a receiver repair way back in high school but that is it. The dishwasher in our house took two months in phone hell to get a refund pounded out if the company which ended up at a BBB complaint to get enough grease in the wheels. My DLP flaked out a few months after I bought it locking up because of a faulty temp sensor. Mitsubishi was good and took care of it but the local shop that said I lived too far away and had to drive the thing in myself which ended that one by me just fixing it myself.

I've considered a warranty though since both my PS3 fat and both fat 360's all died in some fashion. But then I think about my move to the slim in each case and how things got better by getting new hardware + hard drive. At my replacement rate of a new console every three years that isn't too bad considering I easily clock in about 1000 to 1200 hours per year game time. I'm hoping the new gen isn't so bad.
post #10903 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Has anyone played Doki-Doki Universe? The reviews are all kind of mediocre, just wondering if it is worth the price.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #10904 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Has anyone played Doki-Doki Universe? The reviews are all kind of mediocre, just wondering if it is worth the price.

There is demo, just try that. I downloaded it but couldn't put Killzone:SF down biggrin.gif
post #10905 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 03:32 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Liked: 60
Quick question. I have a rectangle shape game room. My tv is hanging on the far right wall. On the other side, I have my receiver as well as the ps4. Since the controllers are wireless, I should not have any issues with the ps4 console being behind me, right? When I play, I will be in-between the ps4 console and the tv not facing the ps4 console in other words.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501.
post #10906 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post

Quick question. I have a rectangle shape game room. My tv is hanging on the far right wall. On the other side, I have my receiver as well as the ps4. Since the controllers are wireless, I should not have any issues with the ps4 console being behind me, right? When I play, I will be in-between the ps4 console and the tv not facing the ps4 console in other words.
That shouldn't be a problem. My console is behind me and to the left.
post #10907 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post

I saw this message and went to walmart and got it! The sales guy said they got a bunch in last night. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, congrats!
post #10908 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

TV's are less expensive than ever.. but other than that, yeah they have issues. My 65" Panny just hit the 7 red lights of death, thankfully under warranty.

I feel much more secure buying an extended warranty for the PS4. PS3's weren't nearly as bad as Xbox 360's but still there were issues.

My 65ST30 is over 2.5 years old and this would destroy me since I have no extended warranties. I thought about getting one plenty of times, but there are often caveats in the 3rd party warranties that magically keep you from refund or repair. Electronics typically break early on, but you just never know.

PSN: PrankT

post #10909 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

My 65ST30 is over 2.5 years old and this would destroy me since I have no extended warranties. I thought about getting one plenty of times, but there are often caveats in the 3rd party warranties that magically keep you from refund or repair. Electronics typically break early on, but you just never know.

I bought mine in store at Fry's for my 65GT30. Sounds like it would be $400 or more to fix normally. eeek!!
post #10910 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

Exactly. A good rule of thumb is only buy insurance on things you can't afford to replace. Having to buy a new PS4 if it goes bad 3 years down the road might be a bummer, but it won't make you go broke.

Another way to phrase what you said above is that you have a negative expected return on this investment. You're paying about 15% of the price of a new console (assuming about $60 for the warranty) with only about a 1% chance of using the warranty. So you are investing $60 for an expected return of $4 (the value of the warranty * probability of actually using it). You can see the warranty company's expected profit from your purchase is $56. They are making out quite a bit better than you. They take advantage of your fear of getting hurt or having a loss, playing upon your emotions, to get you to make an irrational purchase.
ambesolman likes this.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #10911 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Turned PS4 on (it was in standby) and it told me the update was ready to install. It had already downloaded it.

On the other hand. After turning the PS4 on I get a notification that the BF4 update was starting to download.

This lends to my theory that updates are NOT pushed to the system in any way but rather, like the PS3, the system polls at some time late at night for any updates. The PS4 update came out late yesterday and the BF4 update came out this morning.

If this is how it's going to work, I'd prefer they at least let me set the time. I'd set it for about 5pm, so that when I get to sit down at 7 to 8 pm the latest would have already downloaded.

"The Scuba Tank" thread

PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #10912 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
In the last 4 years the members of my family (parents, uncles, brothers and cousins) have bought 6 TVs, 2 stereo receivers, 3 consoles, 2 DVD players, 6 Smart phones and 1 Home theatre. And guess how many of those failed the first year? NONE, the smartphones are the least reliable of all, like somebody said above, they start to fail after 1 and a half years.

Yes, the possibility of having a faulty product is ALWAYS there, but the statistics show that a VERY, VERY small part of the produced electronics are faulty, and that is covered by the standard warranty in the 99% of the cases, so I wouldn´t worry about getting a extended warranty, UNLESS IT´S A SMARTPHONE OR A TABLET wink.gif
post #10913 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

Exactly. A good rule of thumb is only buy insurance on things you can't afford to replace. Having to buy a new PS4 if it goes bad 3 years down the road might be a bummer, but it won't make you go broke.

Another way to phrase what you said above is that you have a negative expected return on this investment. You're paying about 15% of the price of a new console (assuming about $60 for the warranty) with only about a 1% chance of using the warranty. So you are investing $60 for an expected return of $4 (the value of the warranty * probability of actually using it). You can see the warranty company's expected profit from your purchase is $56. They are making out quite a bit better than you. They take advantage of your fear of getting hurt or having a loss, playing upon your emotions, to get you to make an irrational purchase.

Then again if th extra $60 (or whatever) is no big deal, and it brings ya peace of mind, by all means, go for it. No big deal either way.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #10914 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Every time I've ever actually needed an extended warranty (which is exceedingly rare), I've been able to sweet talk the CSR into fixing it for free anyway.

The only extended warranties I ever bought were for used cars...and I never had to use them.

So yeah, I think I'll take my chances. smile.gif
metallicaband, Nayan and d_m1010 like this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #10915 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

Yeah, and generally if any electronics are going to randomly fail, it'll fail very early in its life. If it survives the first year it'll survive many more.

Unless there's a specific design flaw that leads to failure down the road (like RROD). Those tend to get covered by the company anyway because they effect so many people.
ms987 likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #10916 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlalotoani View Post

In the last 4 years the members of my family (parents, uncles, brothers and cousins) have bought 6 TVs, 2 stereo receivers, 3 consoles, 2 DVD players, 6 Smart phones and 1 Home theatre. And guess how many of those failed the first year? NONE, the smartphones are the least reliable of all, like somebody said above, they start to fail after 1 and a half years.

Yes, the possibility of having a faulty product is ALWAYS there, but the statistics show that a VERY, VERY small part of the produced electronics are faulty, and that is covered by the standard warranty in the 99% of the cases, so I wouldn´t worry about getting a extended warranty, UNLESS IT´S A SMARTPHONE OR A TABLET wink.gif

It seems like most of the devices that broke down on me, I didn't have an extended warranty, while the devices that I had extended warranties on were typically fine. Since 2001 I've had something like ten HD sets. Only one set didn't have an extended warranty and it was the only one that had major issues, a Westinghouse LCD. The back light died on me and of course it died within a month of the manufacturer warranty expiring. I never got it fixed and it sat in my closet for over five years. I finally threw it out a few months ago when I was cleaning out my closet. I had forgotten about it and realized how much LCD prices had come down. It was a 37" set and I got it on sale for $1k. It's crazy how little LCD sets cost now.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #10917 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah, and generally if any electronics are going to randomly fail, it'll fail very early in its life. If it survives the first year it'll survive many more.

Unless there's a specific design flaw that leads to failure down the road (like RROD). Those tend to get covered by the company anyway because they effect so many people.

my first ps3 died at 13 months. Sony would not do anything for me. I raise hell with them and got nowhere. it was a dead laser, fixed it myself.

My first Xbox 360 died at 11 month the RROD overheating issues, but was used easily 4-5 times more then the Ps3. Second 360 died 14 months later, laser. Another Laser some time after that, then another RRod that i fixed myself for another year which eventually died as well.

Even my bloody wii died but i had extended warranty. Graphics chip died. All my equipment is taken care of, no kids, extremely well ventilated and never moved once installed.

Consoles are not normal electronics. Consoles are also not designed well. Customers are putting un-realistic demands and wanting really powerful PC's inside of tiny quiet boxes that don't do well in entertainment units/stands. They are also nothing like they used to be so we can't just compare to our ages old N64 still going or our first PSX.

These are launch consoles that were rushed to market and imho - not ready. I'm on my 3rd ps4 already. I think we would be crazy to not get the warranties.
post #10918 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never had any console break yet. Atari, 3 NES, Gameboy, Gamegear, Nomad, Genesis, Super NES, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox, 2 360s, 3 PS3s. Even my Retron 3, game watches, Tiger Electronic games, and every cell phone I've owned worked until I was done with them. I know others have owned a lot more than that. Am I the only lucky one?
d_m1010 likes this.

PSN: PrankT

post #10919 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

I've never had any console break yet. Atari, 3 NES, Gameboy, Gamegear, Nomad, Genesis, Super NES, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox, 2 360s, 3 PS3s. Even my Retron 3, game watches, Tiger Electronic games, and every cell phone I've owned worked until I was done with them. I know others have owned a lot more than that. Am I the only lucky one?

yes
post #10920 of 18081 Old 12-11-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
I had both my first 360 and PS3 fail exactly 6 months after getting them. 360 to RROD, PS3 to lightning. My replacement 360 died about a year and a half later. That replacement made it three more years. (Sold it to a friend, it lasted him a year)

My only other failed console was a PS2 phat I bought used at Gamestop. (Lens issue) The manager that sold it to me gave me extra trade in credit for it towards a slim for my troubles.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page