PlayStation 4 - Page 382 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11431 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I ended up sending my xb1 one back and keeping the ps4. The PS4 is just a better system in my mind.

That said, I despise the PS4 DS4 controller thumbsticks ... I constantly find my left thumb slipping off the controller while playing FIFA 14.

XBL : SAVIOUR KING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11432 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfive View Post

I ended up sending my xb1 one back and keeping the ps4. The PS4 is just a better system in my mind.

That said, I despise the PS4 DS4 controller thumbsticks ... I constantly find my left thumb slipping off the controller while playing FIFA 14.

I feel just the opposite about the PS4 right now. That the XBOne right now is a better system. But I fully expect the PS4 to improve quickly. Although I'm not too sure about the camera. But I hope they improve the PS4 camera. The capability is certainly there. It does a great job with it's limited capability right now. They just need to expand it.

Both systems have to do a lot of work to get where they should be. Especially with audio output. Neither system has their audio output working properly. And it is certainly annoying on both systems to have to constantly change the audio output so I can get the output channels to match the number of channels in the source material.

I know one thing though, the biggest improvement for me with the PS4 is the controller. If the controller had been like the PS3 then I wouldn't have been able to use it. WIth the PS3 controller my hands would ache badly after just 15 minutes of use. But I have been able to use the PS4 controller for several hours straight with no issues. Which is a huge relief. Although I do prefer the off set thumb sticks like the MS controllers have. But that is just a personal preference. It just makes it a little harder to switch between systems.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #11433 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scarface View Post

Why are PS4 fanboys so worried about selling more than the xbox one? Insecure? Cause it took Sony 7 years and a lot of bundling with TV's (because of Bluray) to catch the 360 for a push in last gen? It is crazy. You do realize the will be months PS4 will sell better and then months were the Xbox One sells better? Both system will have their games at 1080p, 60 fps probably by next fall. Xbox One drivers and tools are still maturing and were released late compared to the PS4's.

It is laughable that you guys think that because one system sell more now...that the other is doomed. BTW.....Microsoft has done a much better job with Inventory than Sony. That's why you see Xbox Ones in stock. Is the PS4 selling out when it gets in stock? Sure...will they sell more Worldwide......yep. Do I care? NOPE. Buy the system you like...and enjoy it. The Xbox One has a lot of potential that will be developed as time passes....it is more versatile. The PS4 will is a gaming system for the most part. It is what is.....Graphics will improve in the games, but it doesn't have the overall potential of the Xbox One to change the living room.

I think Sony made a mistake by not bundling their camera (which they had plan to do). Sony was so reactionary....thinking short term by changing their DRM plans, pricing, and such to take advantage of MS bad publicity. Short term it wil help them sell more consoles....however, long term it may hurt them.

I have both consoles and they each have their pros/cons. If I had to choose only one...

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #11434 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I wish they had included the camera with every PS4 like MS did with Kinect. Then I know that they would spend the time to improve the features of the PS4 camera like they should. But since it's optional I don't expect the PS4 camera to be as good as it could have been because the market will be much smaller. Why would they spend alot of resources on a minority of owners?

I completely agree with that. Even if Sony had included the camera and increased the price to $449.00, they still would have undercut xbox by $50 and would have guaranteed 100% ownership.

Having said that, I am not particularly interested in purchasing the camera, and perhaps never will, now that Sony put the first handful of nails in the camera coffin right from the start. BTW, I would have gladly spent the extra money up front, knowing that the future would have likely brought forth some exciting opportunities involving a camera everyone had. Hell, I already paid for the LED tech in the DS4 that serves little purpose without the camera, and I'll have to pay for that with every extra DS4 that I buy (already at two).
post #11435 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 06:14 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I wish they had included the camera with every PS4 like MS did with Kinect. Then I know that they would spend the time to improve the features of the PS4 camera like they should. But since it's optional I don't expect the PS4 camera to be as good as it could have been because the market will be much smaller. Why would they spend alot of resources on a minority of owners?
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think that would necessarily make them any more willing to put more effort into games/features that use the camera.
post #11436 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

Quote:

I completely agree with that. Even if Sony had included the camera and increased the price to $449.00, they still would have undercut xbox by $50 and would have guaranteed 100% ownership.

Having said that, I am not particularly interested in purchasing the camera, and perhaps never will, now that Sony put the first handful of nails in the camera coffin right from the start. BTW, I would have gladly spent the extra money up front, knowing that the future would have likely brought forth some exciting opportunities involving a camera everyone had. Hell, I already paid for the LED tech in the DS4 that serves little purpose without the camera, and I'll have to pay for that with every extra DS4 that I buy (already at two).

Actually the led tech is looking to be interesting. In NFS it changes color depending on if you are a cop or racer. In the new tomb raider it will flicker orange when you use a torch.

And the camera is getting some interesting uses as well. In the new freemium airplane game the camera will help the game determine where you are looking and change the view based on that. In NBA is you swear between rounds it will penalize you.

And I bet more is coming
post #11437 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post

Actually the led tech is looking to be interesting. In NFS it changes color depending on if you are a cop or racer. In the new tomb raider it will flicker orange when you use a torch.

All that seems kind of useless to me. I don't normally look at the controller. And if I see the light it distracts me from playing the game. Because sometimes I will notice the light because my pants are lit up with the color of the controller, which then distracts me. Or if TV screen gets dim I see the reflection of the controller light. Of course I have the solution already at home. I just haven't gotten around to putting the Light Dims on.

But I really think that there should be an option to turn it off, or at least adjust the brightness of the light lower. But since I also have the PS4 camera, it does use that light so I'm not sure what will happen with the camera after I put some Light Dims on it. If it won;t work properly with the light Dims on then I will have to just keep it as it is.

LED DLP

post #11438 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchy View Post

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think that would necessarily make them any more willing to put more effort into games/features that use the camera.

For me, the kinect camera is a novelty, nothing more. I believe Sony views it the same way.

From that point of view, why force people to buy a novelty item.
d_m1010 likes this.

post #11439 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
Just because it's there it doesn't mean they'll make use of it, not everyone is interested in gimmicky stuff. SixAxis was a gimmick and available since PS3 was released, who made use of it? Barely anyone.

Sony made the right decision instead of shoving something down our throats forcefully that we have no interest in, $399 is a very attractive price tag and I'm glad they stuck with it to make sure the system becomes a huge success like the PS2 was.
d_m1010 likes this.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #11440 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

For me, the kinect camera is a novelty, nothing more. I believe Sony views it the same way.

From that point of view, why force people to buy a novelty item.

That's just it, it isn't a novelty. It's fully integrated into the system. And the experience would be completely different without it. It's one of the things that gives it a next gen feel to me. Plus it makes navigation very quick. I hope the PS4 camera is integrated more into the PS4 UI so we can navigate more quickly by voice on the PS4. Because right now, using just the controller with both systems, is much slower navigating the UI than it is using voice with Kinect. Sony should be able to integrate voice almost as well as Kinect. And if they ever do then navigation would be much quicker on the PS4 too.

LED DLP

post #11441 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 06:35 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:

All that seems kind of useless to me. I don't normally look at the controller. And if I see the light it distracts me from playing the game. Because sometimes I will notice the light because my pants are lit up with the color of the controller, which then distracts me. Or if TV screen gets dim I see the reflection of the controller light. Of course I have the solution already at home. I just haven't gotten around to putting the Light Dims on.

But I really think that there should be an option to turn it off, or at least adjust the brightness of the light lower. But since I also have the PS4 camera, it does use that light so I'm not sure what will happen with the camera after I put some Light Dims on it. If it won;t work properly with the light Dims on then I will have to just keep it as it is.

Not disagreeing with you on the annoyance, but it's nice that developers are doing such things. And to some people video games are useless.... But we all have our likes and dislikes. Nothing will ever be perfect for everybody, I am just glad there is still creativity out there smile.gif
post #11442 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

That's just it, it isn't a novelty. It's fully integrated into the system. And the experience would be completely different without it. It's one of the things that gives it a next gen feel to me. Plus it makes navigation very quick. I hope the PS4 camera is integrated more into the PS4 UI so we can navigate more quickly by voice on the PS4. Because right now, using just the controller with both systems, is much slower navigating the UI than it is using voice with Kinect. Sony should be able to integrate voice almost as well as Kinect. And if they ever do then navigation would be much quicker on the PS4 too.
I completely disagree. I have no use for the camera whatsoever. I was given a kinect for one of my 360s last week and I do not like it in the least.
post #11443 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 07:30 AM

Liked: 19
I personally find the cameras CREEPY.... Kinda neat to do voice control but wasn't the patriot act invasive enough (NSA)(CIA) :eek:now we open our living rooms and they don't even need to tap any phones lol I have watched twitch and ustream on ps4 and I pray there is a way soon to block access to these live feeds, explicit behavior every night and vulgar language every time I turn it on not to mention the drugs smoked on there it's like a government agencies dream ...come on in I welcome you.... We are ignorant at times and duped quite often by cool gimmicks lol pure sarcasm
icelt, Nayan, TeflonSoul and 1 others like this.

PSN ID: Streetglide75

Xbox One: ZenZilla75
post #11444 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenzilla View Post

I personally find the cameras CREEPY.... Kinda neat to do voice control but wasn't the patriot act invasive enough (NSA)(CIA) :eek:now we open our living rooms and they don't even need to tap any phones lol I have watched twitch and ustream on ps4 and I pray there is a way soon to block access to these live feeds, explicit behavior every night and vulgar language every time I turn it on not to mention the drugs smoked on there it's like a government agencies dream ...come on in I welcome you.... We are ignorant at times and duped quite often by cool gimmicks lol pure sarcasm
+1 my friend. My sentiments exactly.
post #11445 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

I completely disagree. I have no use for the camera whatsoever. I was given a kinect for one of my 360s last week and I do not like it in the least.
There is a huge difference between Kinect for the 360 and Kinect 2.0 with the XBOne. Using Kinect with the 360 does come nowhere close to how well it works and how well Kinect 2.0 is integrated into the XBOne. I would love for the PS4 camera to eventually have similar integration.

Of course, like every electronic device i've owned over the last several decades, the perfect device for would be an combination of devices. If a system could integrate the best of both next gen systems then that would be close to perfect for me. Both systems have glaring issues. Some I expect to be fixed, but some will be there in sme form or another for the life of the consoles. Which was also the case with the PS3 and 360.

LED DLP

post #11446 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:

There is a huge difference between Kinect for the 360 and Kinect 2.0 with the XBOne.

Yeah the new one is way better at monitoring your every move might actually work this gen.
d_m1010 likes this.
post #11447 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 08:08 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

+1 my friend. My sentiments exactly.
Yeah I would hate to be a felon/criminal sitting on my couch playing call of duty ghost as my facial recognition camera says I'm logged in and my exact location when a flash bang comes thru the window and the doors kicked in lol now that's reality hahaha great idea for a comercial😁
d_m1010 likes this.

PSN ID: Streetglide75

Xbox One: ZenZilla75
post #11448 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:

There is a huge difference between Kinect for the 360 and Kinect 2.0 with the XBOne. Using Kinect with the 360 does come nowhere close to how well it works and how well Kinect 2.0 is integrated into the XBOne. I would love for the PS4 camera to eventually have similar integration.

Of course, like every electronic device i've owned over the last several decades, the perfect device for would be an combination of devices. If a system could integrate the best of both next gen systems then that would be close to perfect for me. Both systems have glaring issues. Some I expect to be fixed, but some will be there in sme form or another for the life of the consoles. Which was also the case with the PS3 and 360.

Just using Kinect to push around menus isn't my idea of "Fully Integrated"

When I had my Xbox One I did use Kinect to navigate menus, but it didn't even factor into the consideration when I chose to send the Xbox One back. If the Kinect is a vital piece of kit for you on the Xbox One than that's great. Microsoft hit it's design goals for you. I just found it didn't really add to my experience.

May I also add that the PS4 camera is much better "integrated" at this point in time than Kinect using the PS4 live sharing.

post #11449 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

When I had my Xbox One I did use Kinect to navigate menus, but it didn't even factor into the consideration when I chose to send the Xbox One back. If the Kinect is a vital piece of kit for you on the Xbox One than that's great. Microsoft hit it's design goals for you. I just found it didn't really add to my experience.

May I also add that the PS4 camera is much better "integrated" at this point in time than Kinect using the PS4 live sharing.

I never said it was "fully integrated". if it were I would be able to go to the settings menu by Kinect and also make changes by Kinect. But right now I can only go to the settings page using Kinect but to make any changes i need to use the controller. I have to go to the settings page alot with both the PS4 and XBOne because of their audio output issues. So I constantly need to change the audio output settings depending on what I am doing/watching on the system. Otherwise the surround field will not sound like it should. With the XBOne I can do this faster than with the PS4. Navigating the UI is just one part of a system. But without being able to easily navigate a UI, no matter how good the system, it will detract from it's overall use.

I've been using both systems almost every night since I got my PS4 last week. The navigation from Kinect is miles ahead of what the PS4 does right now. But Based on how well the PS4 camera works right now, I would think it could be integrated much futher into the navigation of the UI. But since a minority of people probably own the camera, there is not as big of an incentive to do this.

Although the one area where the PS4 camera falls flat is in a darkened room. Normally I just have my TV backlighting on. With Kinect it has no problem quickly recognizing me. But the PS4 camera can't do it with that amount of light. I need to turn on my Floor lamp for the PS4 camera to be able to recognize me. But as long as there is enough light, that works well too.

EDIT:redface.gifredface.gif Sorry about that. I did say it was fully integrated. I didn't type out what I was thinking in the other post.

LED DLP

post #11450 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 08:34 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:

Kinect definitely adds to my experience, but not enough to make it better than the PS4.  Kinect has a long way to go before I consider it more than a gimmick.  Simple commands like going to an app or play/pause commands are great.  But saying fast forward, then hanving to say faster 7 times to get to 128speed is silly.  Also navigating netflix or amazon is crazy unless its one of the last shows you watched.  Next page...Next page...Next page..............

Giving tactical commands in a game like Mass Effect Could be cool but still seem gimmicky.  To be honest I'm not sure what would make it not seem gimmicky to me. And don't get me wrong I said "Fire Volley" instead of holding RB in Ryse.  Ryse was also my favorite game so far and only one I beat.  But I have much higher expectations with the PS4 due to Santa Monica and Naughty Dog. 

@aaronwt

Does the PS4 camera have thermal camera, that might be why the kinect does a much better job it has the thermal/nightvison along with regular. 

post #11451 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 557
PS4 has voice commands out of the box, no camera required. Just use the included headset.

As for navigation speed, I still miss the XMB, I can get to anything in it faster than I can say where I want to go, I'm not there yet with the PS4, and frankly, I just want the XMB to return with minor tweaks.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #11452 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

PS4 has voice commands out of the box, no camera required. Just use the included headset.

As for navigation speed, I still miss the XMB, I can get to anything in it faster than I can say where I want to go, I'm not there yet with the PS4, and frankly, I just want the XMB to return with minor tweaks.

Yes, someone mentioned that before, probably you. But I don't want to to clip that on unless I'm using it for chat. Becasue if i'm doing something other than playing a game, if I go to set the controller down while watching something it will pull on it.

The PS4 camera works great for recognizing my voice commands. I've only run into an issue when my volume was up very high.

Even with the XMB, I could not navigate it quicker than saying, "Go to xxx" and instantly having a game start or being at the page I said.

LED DLP

post #11453 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been using the XMB since march 2005, it is second nature to me and I can fly through it without thought.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #11454 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

I only started using the XMB in 2006 when I got my first PS3. But that was mainly for a BD player and for streaming content. So I never used it as much as I would have if I had been gaming on the PS3. But still I remember it needed alot of movements to get to where I needed to go.

With the PS4 when I go to the settings, it always seems to be on the same option. The XBOne will still be on my last selection but the PS4 always seems to start in the same spot. So I always need to go down to get to the audio settings. Is this what happens with everyone else?

LED DLP

post #11455 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

XMB does require lots of movements, but it moves very quickly. I can move through it as quickly as a pro tetris player can drop blocks. tongue.gif

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #11456 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I would like for them to stick the movie media stuf in one place maybe up to the top next to notifications and friends. Up to media press x and a new list of movie apps would appear with last used app first in line. It would be a 3 or 4 button press to get to netflix but I would know where it is everytime. It's a small complaint but I know where netflix is everytime I fire up the ps3 but I have to hunt for it on the ps4.
post #11457 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:

There's too much emphasis on a camera and I think its because you're XBO vested. Most of the features of the XBO that people like the most don't even need a camera. The voice interactions and many features are falsely tied to a camera device supplanting its value. The "camera" gives you the recognized login and kinnect games. Most of XBO/XBL feature set doesn't use an actual camera. Kinnect == camera.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #11458 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Paying extra to have something recognize me when I log in? No thanks. Pressing power on the controller works like a charm. I appreciate how simple and elegant the PS4 interface is. For my purpose as gamer I am glad Sony put the main focus on gaming. I'm glad the camera is optional for those that want but appreciate that I don't have to shell out money for a more expensive console due to it being packed in.

Having far superior gaming hardware at a significantly lower price made the PS4 an easy choice.

I bought a 360 at launch but their approach was much different back then. Perhaps down the road, despite what MS claims, they'll sell on non-Kinect version at a reasonable price (well below the PS4's price) for those that care more about gaming. As others have pointed out, they could easily do all the voice command stuff without Kinect.
kjr39, icelt, Nayan and 1 others like this.
post #11459 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

I never said it was "fully integrated". if it were I would be able to go to the settings menu by Kinect and also make changes by Kinect. But right now I can only go to the settings page using Kinect but to make any changes i need to use the controller. I have to go to the settings page alot with both the PS4 and XBOne because of their audio output issues. So I constantly need to change the audio output settings depending on what I am doing/watching on the system. Otherwise the surround field will not sound like it should. With the XBOne I can do this faster than with the PS4. Navigating the UI is just one part of a system. But without being able to easily navigate a UI, no matter how good the system, it will detract from it's overall use.

I've been using both systems almost every night since I got my PS4 last week. The navigation from Kinect is miles ahead of what the PS4 does right now. But Based on how well the PS4 camera works right now, I would think it could be integrated much futher into the navigation of the UI. But since a minority of people probably own the camera, there is not as big of an incentive to do this.

Although the one area where the PS4 camera falls flat is in a darkened room. Normally I just have my TV backlighting on. With Kinect it has no problem quickly recognizing me. But the PS4 camera can't do it with that amount of light. I need to turn on my Floor lamp for the PS4 camera to be able to recognize me. But as long as there is enough light, that works well too.

Im curious why you are having to change audio settings so often? is it between movies and games or just the two consoles? i assume your goal is to get all your speakers working?

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #11460 of 17724 Old 12-24-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

Im curious why you are having to change audio settings so often? is it between movies and games or just the two consoles? i assume your goal is to get all your speakers working?

Because I go back and forth between different content. Some content is in 2.0, some in 5.1 and some in 7.1. Depending on what app you are using or what BD you are watching or whether playing a game, the audio output needs to be changed so that it will match the number of source channels. Otherwise you end up with dead channels being output because for instance you could have 2.0 content and it would be output in a 7.1 wrapper(or 5.1 wrapper). Which only gives audio from two channels while the other six are dead. So no post processing can be involved and you end up with audio from only the FL/FR channels. It takes me back to the 80's when that happens. It's a similar issue with both systems.

LED DLP

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page