PlayStation 4 - Page 391 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11701 of 18656 Old 01-01-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Guys - how can I tell when my subscription to PSN on the PS4 expires? I signed up for PSN when I got my PS4 on launch day using the card inside - which IIRC was for a 1 one trial, right? Well its been over a month and it seems I may still have an active PSN account. How can I tell? I can't find anywhere on the PSN website or on the console where it shows me when my membership expires. I also checked their transaction history and it doesn't show that it charged my card for a renewal or anything like that. I have a code I bought on BF that I can put in for a year, but first want to make sure that someone they didn't charge my card after the trial (transaction history doesn't show it) - and if they didn't then I must not still have an active PSN account right? Yet it seems like I do. Confused...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11702 of 18656 Old 01-01-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

How do the downloads when in stand-by work? Does the PS4 poll and wake up for downloads in the queue, or should the download start right away when in standby?

For instance - my PS4 is in standby right now. From the Sony Entertainment website I put Zen Pinball into my download queue and the status is "Waiting". The web site says "learn about how you can have games download while in standby mode." Well, I am in Standby but it still shows Waiting as the status and there is nothing else in the queue and nothing else that is downloading. My Playstation iOS app connects to my PS4 and correctly sees it in Standby mode. So why then isn't this download starting? I recall doing this a month ago to get some other demos and they downloaded right away when in standby mode. Anyone?
post #11703 of 18656 Old 01-01-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm so glad to hear that this game has 3D support because I've been a little concerned that the game companies are dropping that and that it is going out of style. For example Killzone Shadowfall has no 3D despite the KZ3 having AMAZING 3D. COD and other games also were a no-show on the PS4 in 3D. So I look forward to checking this out and am especially glad to hear how well it looks in 3D!

3D is going out of style, the fad is once again dying off.
d_m1010 likes this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #11704 of 18656 Old 01-01-2014, 11:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:

How do the downloads when in stand-by work? Does the PS4 poll and wake up for downloads in the queue, or should the download start right away when in standby?

For instance - my PS4 is in standby right now. From the Sony Entertainment website I put Zen Pinball into my download queue and the status is "Waiting". The web site says "learn about how you can have games download while in standby mode." Well, I am in Standby but it still shows Waiting as the status and there is nothing else in the queue and nothing else that is downloading. My Playstation iOS app connects to my PS4 and correctly sees it in Standby mode. So why then isn't this download starting? I recall doing this a month ago to get some other demos and they downloaded right away when in standby mode. Anyone?

I don't know exactly how it works but I know there is no true downloading in Standby yet. Since it draws over 70 watts(or was it 80 watts?) while downloading and in the supposed standby state.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #11705 of 18656 Old 01-01-2014, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

I downloaded Zen Pinball a few days ago, there is a free Table as well as the demo's of the pay to play tables. The game detected my Sharp 80" 3D and I gave it a shot in 3D.. Simply amazing ... I'm not normally a Pinball guy but I really enjoyed it . Even 2 player split screen in 3D was great... I haven't even looked at the game in 2D mode yet . Worth a try if you have a 3D tv for sure.. Just like you have the table there in front of you.

I see there's a Zen Pinball 2, Zen Pinball 2 Earth Defense, and Zen Pinball 2 Epic Quest - do I get all three of these to experience what you described? What pieces are / are not needed? Thanks.
post #11706 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:

I see there's a Zen Pinball 2, Zen Pinball 2 Earth Defense, and Zen Pinball 2 Epic Quest - do I get all three of these to experience what you described? What pieces are / are not needed? Thanks.

I just downloaded Zen Pinball 2. After you have and start it you will see the first 4 boards available for trial as Marvel Superhero Tables. Nice to try but they are timed. About 3 rows down you will see one that says Free which you can download the full game, (Sorcerers Castle) .
post #11707 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Its just going on hiatus until glasses free displays become commonplace. It's too bad the best 3D most gamers have seen is the really awful console implementations, I don't blame people for not wanting more of that.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #11708 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Its just going on hiatus until glasses free displays become commonplace. It's too bad the best 3D most gamers have seen is the really awful console implementations, I don't blame people for not wanting more of that.

I Did not like the COD implementation of 3D on the 360 and I never used it . The Pinball they obviously put a lot of effort into. There are layers upon layers of depth. Its quickly pretty obvious that this was not an afterthought. Its the best implementation of 3D I have seen on a console.
post #11709 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Sold out everywhere:
http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/ps4/

Psn: memnoch1010
Xbox live: meadoch
post #11710 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and thank goodness for that.

post #11711 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

I Did not like the COD implementation of 3D on the 360 and I never used it . The Pinball they obviously put a lot of effort into. There are layers upon layers of depth. Its quickly pretty obvious that this was not an afterthought. Its the best implementation of 3D I have seen on a console.

Yeah pinball is relatively low fidelity so I assume they could push 3D without killing the resolution or frame rate.

The best 3D on console is easily trine 2 on the PS4 - it still runs in 720p/60, and the visuals are well suited for it. Super stardust HD on PS3 is also up there. 60fps is an absolute requirement for good 3D, and those are the only two games I can recall that push 60 in 3D on console.

It still doesn't matter though, as awesome as it is when it's done right, the terrible 3D implementations of the past few years have salted the earth. You'll see it here or there but it's not going to be as ubiquitous as I hoped, because people just aren't demanding it. If gamers don't care, devs don't care.
d_m1010 likes this.

post #11712 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It still doesn't matter though, as awesome as it is when it's done right, the terrible 3D implementations of the past few years have salted the earth. You'll see it here or there but it's not going to be as ubiquitous as I hoped, because people just aren't demanding it. If gamers don't care, devs don't care.
+1

post #11713 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I don't know exactly how it works but I know there is no true downloading in Standby yet. Since it draws over 70 watts(or was it 80 watts?) while downloading and in the supposed standby state.

If its like the ps3, It sits in standby until it gets its "ping" so to say to download something and then turns on and downloads it.  Now my ps3 I notice fully on but have not noticed the ps4 so its possible it hides it or doesnt fully turn on but sits in a more power hungry state then the standby. 

post #11714 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

Sold out everywhere:
http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/ps4/

that is really surprising.. i figured after Xmas the ps4 would be pretty easy to get..
post #11715 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I really enjoyed Killzone 3 in 3D. It was relatively well done and made for a very immersive experience. One of the things I was looking forward to the most with the next gen consoles for a while now was better 3D. I thought with the increased horsepower we'd finally get high framerate 3D without sacrificing graphics detail. So its a shame that 3D has lost so much momentum of late. I am still a bit optimistic because Sony seems to have invested a lot into 3D movies and I'm sure they want to see it succeed.
post #11716 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 09:30 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Guys - how can I tell when my subscription to PSN on the PS4 expires? I signed up for PSN when I got my PS4 on launch day using the card inside - which IIRC was for a 1 one trial, right? Well its been over a month and it seems I may still have an active PSN account. How can I tell? I can't find anywhere on the PSN website or on the console where it shows me when my membership expires. I also checked their transaction history and it doesn't show that it charged my card for a renewal or anything like that. I have a code I bought on BF that I can put in for a year, but first want to make sure that someone they didn't charge my card after the trial (transaction history doesn't show it) - and if they didn't then I must not still have an active PSN account right? Yet it seems like I do. Confused...

There's likely an easier way but I found it by going (on the ps4): Settings > PSN > Account Information > Services List > Playstation Plus
post #11717 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I really enjoyed Killzone 3 in 3D. It was relatively well done and made for a very immersive experience. One of the things I was looking forward to the most with the next gen consoles for a while now was better 3D. I thought with the increased horsepower we'd finally get high framerate 3D without sacrificing graphics detail. So its a shame that 3D has lost so much momentum of late. I am still a bit optimistic because Sony seems to have invested a lot into 3D movies and I'm sure they want to see it succeed.

You'll see a resurgence of it when glasses free sets hit the market. Especially if Sony makes them. You've also got 3D in the form of VR/oculus just around the bend. It might start making its way into smartphones soon too.

3D isn't going away for good, it's just taking a breather until the conditions are right for a second wave. Until then 3D is still a thing on PC, although that's waning too. At least in that case, fans of 3D have come together to find solutions when devs don't. It's pretty much dead on console but I played 70-80% my games last year in 3D. DmC in 60fps/3D with a dual shock 4 was awesome.

post #11718 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:

You'll see a resurgence of it when glasses free sets hit the market. Especially if Sony makes them. You've also got 3D in the form of VR/oculus just around the bend. It might start making its way into smartphones soon too.

3D isn't going away for good, it's just taking a breather until the conditions are right for a second wave. Until then 3D is still a thing on PC, although that's waning too. At least in that case, fans of 3D have come together to find solutions when devs don't. It's pretty much dead on console but I played 70-80% my games last year in 3D. DmC in 60fps/3D with a dual shock 4 was awesome.

maybe, but how far away are we from GREAT glasses free (cost effective) 3d TV's?
post #11719 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:

Oh god no, please don't put 3d on my smartphone.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #11720 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

that is really surprising.. i figured after Xmas the ps4 would be pretty easy to get..

Demand is through the roof, sales are at record levels and it is still selling out as soon as they are stocked. (Last big shipment hit days after Christmas)

UK sales are already at 530k after about a month. That is insanity for them. Most countries are back ordered into March. (And Sony hasn't been holding back stock if the UK numbers are any indication)

Even in the US they can't keep them in stock and shipments have been steady and fairly large. The December NPDs will be very interesting to see just how well Sony has supplied the US even though they also launched in 47 other countries. (And contrast that with Microsoft who elected to flood the US and shortchange the rest of the world)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #11721 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

maybe, but how far away are we from GREAT glasses free (cost effective) 3d TV's?

Just like OLED, it's been around the corner for years, so who knows. It'll get there eventually....when people say they don't like 3D, they mean they don't like 3D as currently implemented. (Even if they don't realize that.) And that's understandable given how bad most 3D games have been. No one should have an objection against 3D in general, that's like saying you've got a problem with games being in color. It's a basic, natural part of our vision. Maybe it'll finally take off when we have hologram TVs instead of just stereoscopy. Who knows...I'm all about 3D so it's hard for me to understand the basis of the hatred in those that don't like the current implementation. If everyone could see what I've seen on PC (without glasses of course), people would demand it from every game.

post #11722 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't like 3D on the 3DS and that is glasses free...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #11723 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:

I'm with you there, I keep it off.  I got monoprice glasses for my panasonic and not a huge fan.  Its kinda cool but gives me a headache after a while.  I will try games if they come out but no more 3d bluray as my ps3 is not in the room without 3d tv. 

I had a scare upgrading my HDD as my ps4 would not read the usb (which i had to take apart since it was to fat to fit lol).  Finally after formatting it in my mac instead of my pc it worked fine. 

post #11724 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's a tiny low resolution display, the graphics are low fidelity and the games often don't run at 60. It's not exactly the most immersive console. You need a big screen, decent resolution and a high frame rate for 3D to shine. A PS4 could provide the proper 3D experience that a 3DS can't.

post #11725 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have a Panasonic Plasma with the active shutter glasses. I think the 3D is pretty awesome, especially in games like Motorstorm. If it is well done it's pretty impressive. And LCD glasses are the only way to go. But you can't wear them more than a couple hours without eye strain or headache. That is the big negative.
post #11726 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

I have a Panasonic Plasma with the active shutter glasses. I think the 3D is pretty awesome, especially in games like Motorstorm. If it is well done it's pretty impressive. And LCD glasses are the only way to go. But you can't wear them more than a couple hours without eye strain or headache. That is the big negative.

Which glasses do you use, and which model tv?(I have a st50)  I bought the monoprice ones since they were only like 30 bucks

post #11727 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalker36 View Post

Which glasses do you use, and which model tv?(I have a st50)  I bought the monoprice ones since they were only like 30 bucks

I have the st30 65 inch and I use the Xpand 103. I tried the sony playstation glasses and they worked well, but my head is too big. the bad thing about the Xpands is a battery, you can not recharge them. I get about 25 hrs on the button batteries, and I bet them from Amazon . I get 25 batteries for 7$ shipped, so not too bad.
post #11728 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

Oh god no, please don't put 3d on my smartphone.

It was already done a while ago. One of my Co-workers had a 3D smartphone a couple of years ago.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #11729 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

It was already done a while ago. One of my Co-workers had a 3D smartphone a couple of years ago.

I had that phone.  It was a good phone but the 3d sucked.  Just a gimmick.  Evo 3D

post #11730 of 18656 Old 01-02-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 56
This is a little off topic but 3D used to give me headaches and fatigued my eyes. I went to the eye doctor and found out I needed glasses. I've got a very light prescription and I actually prefer 3D now. I've got 20/20 using the eye charts but that didn't tell the whole story for me. Just food for thought.

PSN ID: javant86

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page