post #12331 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

I'm actually skipping the PS3 release intentionally so if they do a PS4 release....hellz yea!

OK graphically BF looks amazing on the PS4 compared to the PS3. Hands down, wind at the back, downhill. If you only think there is a marginal difference you have standards that can't be met. Not only is it 40 more players but the level of detail is vastly improved. There are flags, banners, railings, giant TV screens, vases, tables, chairs, and a lot of other details just not on the PS3. I've played both, PS3 looks like an in-house test rather than a full finished game. All the bugs and issues aside, it looks really good.

Lets go further down the graphical path from last gen to next. I finally tried Devil May Cry last night. The CGI looked really good for PS3, kind of like an upscaled DVD vs Bluray. Looks decent but obviously not full HD. Then the actual game kicked of and it looked like total garbage. May not be the best example but I've had a really hard time going back. The difference is way too jarring.

The PC version of DMC was one of the best looking games last year, so I'm sure the PS4 can do it justice. That game really needs to be 60fps.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12332 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

10 Xboxes sold in a region over a week? That seems really suspect. I can't imagine even a single store selling less than that in a week. I'm sure the ps4 is selling better, but that just seems too ridiculous to be true.

It was a single day (part of a Saturday into a Sunday) not a week. Still pretty telling about demand though.

Sony sold 4.2 million as of December 28th. This may be shipped numbers, but based on demand it is safe to assume actual sales are similar.

Microsoft sold an "estimated" 3 million as of December 31st. Insiders confirmed this number was based on internally estimated demand combined with shipped numbers, not actual sales. (All their released numbers were like this) Actual sales were most likely several hundred thousand less.

Sony started production a full month earlier and had Japanese production in addition to Chinese production, so the current sales gap lines up very closely with both consoles estimated max production based on those dates.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #12333 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

I started out playing BF4 on PS3, I thought it looked fine, definitely plays better than on PS4, but yes over all the PS4 does look better, but its not the drastic change I was expecting.

Killone: Shadowfall is leaps beyond any FPS last gen graphically for a few of its levels.
post #12334 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:

The PC version of DMC was one of the best looking games last year, so I'm sure the PS4 can do it justice. That game really needs to be 60fps.

I'm kind of past God of War button mashers which is why I passed on this last gen. That and I've never played a DMC so far. That said, when I fired this up last night the opening movies really got me interested. My wife was even intrigued. Gameplay kicked in and she's instantly turned off but the graphics just looked awful. Your right, a PS4 port would be great and I would probably actually pick that up. The intro was very compelling.
post #12335 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm kind of past God of War button mashers which is why I passed on this last gen. That and I've never played a DMC so far. That said, when I fired this up last night the opening movies really got me interested. My wife was even intrigued. Gameplay kicked in and she's instantly turned off but the graphics just looked awful. Your right, a PS4 port would be great and I would probably actually pick that up. The intro was very compelling.

The first few hours are prob the least interesting. But there's this one sequence midway through the game that's so flat out bananas that I don't even know how to describe it. Whoever came up with it is either the most creative person in the world or is on some hardcore drugs...prob both.

post #12336 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Microsoft sold an "estimated" 3 million as of December 31st. Insiders confirmed this number was based on internally estimated demand combined with shipped numbers, not actual sales. (All their released numbers were like this) Actual sales were most likely several hundred thousand less.

Srsly? Estimated demand? IE "whatever number we decided that would sound best for our press releases." Alas with MS that really doesn't surprise me.
post #12337 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The first few hours are prob the least interesting. But there's this one sequence midway through the game that's so flat out bananas that I don't even know how to describe it. Whoever came up with it is either the most creative person in the world or is on some hardcore drugs...prob both.

May have to just toss it on easy and blow through it. It reminds me a lot of Shadows of the Damned which was one messed up game that I thoroughly enjoyed.
post #12338 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

May have to just toss it on easy and blow through it. It reminds me a lot of Shadows of the Damned which was one messed up game that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Yeah, that's what I did. I can't really handle the super technical brawlers anymore. I just wanna destroy stuff to death metal! New Dante is such a punk in just the right way too, he just don't give a ****.

post #12339 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post

Srsly? Estimated demand? IE "whatever number we decided that would sound best for our press releases." Alas with MS that really doesn't surprise me.

Probably means they sold 3 million to stores notend users.
post #12340 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, that's what I did. I can't really handle the super technical brawlers anymore. I just wanna destroy stuff to death metal!

Heard that. I ended up trading God of War 3 off, just couldn't get in the mood. It all feels like a grind anymore.
post #12341 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Heard that. I ended up trading God of War 3 off, just couldn't get in the mood. It all feels like a grind anymore.

Blasphemy lol, I cannot wait until the next GOW.  Although I only really care about the division.

post #12342 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:

Probably means they sold 3 million to stores notend users.

Kinda, the number was over 3 million, but they came to that number through Microsoft Math (this same math has the 360 as more powerful than the PS4 in many areas) Take the demand from one region (could be as small as a single store or as large as a country) on launch day and apply that sellthrough rate to all shipped units and adjust slightly for margin of error. Voila, estimated sales data that sounds very impressive and isn't an outright lie that can get you in trouble.

Nintendo pulled a similar stunt last year when they announced their three million number, but didn't clarify shipped or sold. This is only slightly less sketchy than that.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #12343 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe I'll play it a bit more then. I just made it to the part where I've acquired two types of platform mechanisms (pulling stuff and swinging to things) and did a little of that.

I just started up Far Cry: Blood Dragon last night as well..

Part of my backlog:
Dishonored (love it so far)
Bioshock: Infinite (thanks to PS+)
DmC, should play some more I guess
Bordlands 2, haven't even touched it yet but I hear it is pretty good.

PS4:
working on AC: Black Flag. The game hasn't sucked me in fully yet but it is enjoyable for the most part. Just made it to the first fort to attack.
I haven't played much of Resogun. I need to play more.
Nayan likes this.
post #12344 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalker36 View Post

Blasphemy lol, I cannot wait until the next GOW.  Although I only really care about the division.

You know its weird, I've been gaming for a long time and my tastes are changing. I'm not sure if its age or what. Used to love RTS, fighting games, and button mashers. Can't stand Starcraft now, Mortal Kombat 9 was cool but could have been a rental and GOW3 just didn't hold my interest. Took me a few years to get into the last Metal Gear too. RPGs are boring and grindy to me now too.

Its definitely not that games are too hard. I've been working to plat games on the PS4 now which does involve grind or difficult tasks. Not sure what's going on. Changing tastes I guess...
post #12345 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You know its weird, I've been gaming for a long time and my tastes are changing. I'm not sure if its age or what. Used to love RTS, fighting games, and button mashers. Can't stand Starcraft now, Mortal Kombat 9 was cool but could have been a rental and GOW3 just didn't hold my interest. Took me a few years to get into the last Metal Gear too. RPGs are boring and grindy to me now too.

Its definitely not that games are too hard. I've been working to plat games on the PS4 now which does involve grind or difficult tasks. Not sure what's going on. Changing tastes I guess...

My tolerance for grinding, filler and frustrating or boring sequences has gone way down over the years. If I'm not having a good time or I'm being forced to repeat stuff I just shelve it and move on.

I can still appreciate a difficult game if the punishment for failure is to immediately try again without losing more than a few seconds of progress, like super meat boy or mark of the ninja.

My game time has become so limited that I can't tolerate any of it being wasted on BS.
Drlink likes this.

post #12346 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Yup, my tastes have definitely changed over time as well.

Heck I am enjoying Knack which I think reviews said isn't a good game. I'm having a lot of fun playing co-op with my kids. It has solid gameplay (the way guys blow up and the feel of contact from hitting bad guys) and art design. I wish there was quite a bigger move set but I really enjoy the environments (the level with the sphere sucking up parts of Knack looks awesome). I kind of feels like a really light version of Ratchet and Clank some ways, makes me want a Ratch and Clank.

AC:Black Flag I find myself just skipping all the fetching stuff, aside from pressing square to pick up boxes in the ocean or survivors. I don't want to do 10 million fetch quests..

bd2003, so you hate something like Dark Souls/Demons Souls which is a lot of trial and error? That is one series I love and can't wait for Dark Souls II.

In general though I don't want to grind too much.
post #12347 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Demon/Dark Souls is in a class by themselves. Need to finish Dark Souls...keep passing it up. I sidelined it for BF3 and can't get back. Anyway, in my lowly opinion, Demon Souls is one of the most innovative and awesome games I've ever played. The white/dark cycles and just overall levels and monsters not to mention human vs ghost. The story was just filler but still cool. I liked Dark Souls but somehow it wasn't quite its predacessor. Gah, need to finish it....have to find the time somehow.
post #12348 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Yup, my tastes have definitely changed over time as well.

Heck I am enjoying Knack which I think reviews said isn't a good game. I'm having a lot of fun playing co-op with my kids. It has solid gameplay (the way guys blow up and the feel of contact from hitting bad guys) and art design. I wish there was quite a bigger move set but I really enjoy the environments (the level with the sphere sucking up parts of Knack looks awesome). I kind of feels like a really light version of Ratchet and Clank some ways, makes me want a Ratch and Clank.

AC:Black Flag I find myself just skipping all the fetching stuff, aside from pressing square to pick up boxes in the ocean or survivors. I don't want to do 10 million fetch quests..

bd2003, so you hate something like Dark Souls/Demons Souls which is a lot of trial and error? That is one series I love and can't wait for Dark Souls II.

In general though I don't want to grind too much.

Yeah, I can't think of any series that's more fundamentally unappealing to me than dark souls. From what I hear, a death can set you back like a half hour in that game. Even if I had the time, I wouldn't have the patience.

I'm fine with trial and error mechanics as long as the game respects your time and doesn't force you to replay obstacles you've already overcome.

post #12349 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I can't think of any series that's more fundamentally unappealing to me than dark souls. From what I hear, a death can set you back like a half hour in that game. Even if I had the time, I wouldn't have the patience.

I'm fine with trial and error mechanics as long as the game respects your time and doesn't force you to replay obstacles you've already overcome.

It definitely takes some patience at time. I ended up using bugs (both games have exploits where you can level up as much as you want) to level up faster on both games at times, though not initially. There comes a point where it isn't fun to grind like crazy to just advance. I just love the atmosphere and gameplay of the series but I do understand the leveling mechanic issues.
post #12350 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Demon/Dark Souls is in a class by themselves. Need to finish Dark Souls...keep passing it up. I sidelined it for BF3 and can't get back. Anyway, in my lowly opinion, Demon Souls is one of the most innovative and awesome games I've ever played. The white/dark cycles and just overall levels and monsters not to mention human vs ghost. The story was just filler but still cool. I liked Dark Souls but somehow it wasn't quite its predacessor. Gah, need to finish it....have to find the time somehow.

Demon's Souls was probably my favourite game of last gen, but I agree, Dark Souls just didn't quite live up to its predecessor... and I never did get to finish it.

In saying that, if Dark Souls 2 was released for PS4, I would be all over it.

PSN = Hatcher14
post #12351 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

They have to do a Dark Souls 2 PS4 release. If so it will be a day one purchase. Even if I don't finish it, this is a game I like to support. The dev listens to its fans and seems to care, at least so far.
post #12352 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They have to do a Dark Souls 2 PS4 release. If so it will be a day one purchase. Even if I don't finish it, this is a game I like to support. The dev listens to its fans and seems to care, at least so far.

I'm not sure if they will or not but I will buy it if they do, but I'm not waiting if it comes 6 months after the PS3 release since I will buy that day 1.

From the beta it seemed like the texture assets were lower res than the first Dark Souls, the lighting however is better. Dark Souls translated beautifully to the PC due to high res texture assets. I am curious how Dark Souls 2 will translate.
post #12353 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

A primary design philosophy mandated by the lead project director for both DS and DrkS is a genuine sense of accomplishment. When considered from this perspective hopefully that makes what many call "frustrating" and "difficult" gameplay seem much more logical. So for those that dedicate themselves to learning the gameplay, environment and enemy dynamics the game will most certainly reward you, the player, with a tremendous sense of accomplishment. And that is truly the magic of DS & DrkS. biggrin.gif
freemeat likes this.
post #12354 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 01:44 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 64
What is a good website for PS4 that shows upcoming games, reviews of current games, etc. (besides this one of course) wink.gif

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #12355 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 213
ign.com maintains pretty good release date schedules.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #12356 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post

A primary design philosophy mandated by the lead project director for both DS and DrkS is a genuine sense of accomplishment. When considered from this perspective hopefully that makes what many call "frustrating" and "difficult" gameplay seem much more logical. So for those that dedicate themselves to learning the gameplay, environment and enemy dynamics the game will most certainly reward you, the player, with a tremendous sense of accomplishment. And that is truly the magic of DS & DrkS. biggrin.gif

It's just too masochistic for me. It's like those old school NES games like contra where you had 3 lives and you had to make them last. Every time you'd play you'd get a little further, but you'd have to play through a longer and longer stretch of the same ol thing the further you got. I'm so glad we left that type of gameplay behind.

Some of the harder levels in super meat boy take no longer than 10 seconds to complete, but it might take you 100-200 tries before you get it. I feel a much greater sense of accomplishment from that, since every second of those 200 tries was well spent actively pursuing that goal, not merely getting back to the starting line. That's the difference between challenging and frustrating.

post #12357 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's just too masochistic for me. It's like those old school NES games like contra where you had 3 lives and you had to make them last. Every time you'd play you'd get a little further, but you'd have to play through a longer and longer stretch of the same ol thing the further you got. I'm so glad we left that type of gameplay behind.

Some of the harder levels in super meat boy take no longer than 10 seconds to complete, but it might take you 100-200 tries before you get it. I feel a much greater sense of accomplishment from that, since every second of those 200 tries was well spent actively pursuing that goal, not merely getting back to the starting line. That's the difference between challenging and frustrating.

Both DS and DrkS have progressive save mechanisms though, not too mention permanent short cuts that can be unlocked. Also the skills that you learn through trial and error serve the player for the remainder of the game. Lastly lives are infinite, and there is no level cap, so the player is never truly required to start over.
post #12358 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:

That's what was so addictive about hotline miami. You could clear a complex stage in 15 seconds, but it may take you 20 or 30 tries to get through it.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #12359 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

That's what was so addictive about hotline miami. You could clear a complex stage in 15 seconds, but it may take you 20 or 30 tries to get through it.

And when it comes down to it, it probably took just as much skill to complete that level as anything in DS, it just didn't waste your time and inflate the sense of accomplishment with relief that you don't need to do it over again.

Don't get me wrong though, when I hear someone actually made it through something like DS, I am impressed given how much resolve and resilience it takes to endure that much pain and see it through.

post #12360 of 18759 Old 01-16-2014, 02:17 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

ign.com maintains pretty good release date schedules.

Thanks. I will take a look.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com