Forum Jump: 

post #12511 of 17871 Old 01-20-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Speaking of the ds4:
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/01/20/new-sony-controller-patent-augments-reality-again/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12512 of 17871 Old 01-20-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 195
As a PC player of the original Thief games, I'm not extremely impressed at the screenshots just "leaked."
Maybe gameplay will be more important...?
Maybe screenshots of anything but Infamous 2 and Killzone have not helped.
post #12513 of 17871 Old 01-20-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

LOL, oh brother. I dunno even know what to say. Aside from concerns of parts breaking off what sort of battery solution will this use? What's to prevent trolls from making penises, etc? Why must they try and alter things that just work?!?! If they can find a way to make this...thing...then they can make a DS4 with a light bar that turns on or off.
Nayan likes this.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #12514 of 17871 Old 01-20-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

LOL, oh brother. I dunno even know what to say. Aside from concerns of parts breaking off what sort of battery solution will this use? What's to prevent trolls from making penises, etc? Why must they try and alter things that just work?!?! If they can find a way to make this...thing...then they can make a DS4 with a light bar that turns on or off.
yeah no kidding, just turn the dang ds4 light off. That controller they are patenting is crazy looking.
post #12515 of 17871 Old 01-20-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

This is ot but I just downloaded baldur's gate EE for my ipad and ai'm rockin it old school. I love baldur's gate 1 and 2 and I can't believe how well they run and look on the ipad. Wow has tech come along.
post #12516 of 17871 Old 01-20-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 400
That controller reminds me of the robot game the NES had, gyro something or other. Might be cool though if they used for the likes of Minecraft or some other Lego building type thing.
post #12517 of 17871 Old 01-20-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
I only have 1 controller and have never had a prblem with it losing juice. I put it on the charging base every other night or so.

I've also said this several times, but the tint strip I put on the controller solved my problem AND the camera still recognizes it.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #12518 of 17871 Old 01-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Does anyone know if when charging the DS4 using the supplied cable when PS4 is in standby is it trickle charging or does it need to be monitored and unplugged to keep from overcharging/killing the life of the battery? Also wonder the same question about the Power A charger, does it trickle charge?

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #12519 of 17871 Old 01-20-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1022 View Post

Does anyone know if when charging the DS4 using the supplied cable when PS4 is in standby is it trickle charging or does it need to be monitored and unplugged to keep from overcharging/killing the life of the battery? Also wonder the same question about the Power A charger, does it trickle charge?

No idea. I only know in both instances, when the light goes out on the controller it is supposed to be finished charging.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #12520 of 17871 Old 01-20-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post

Actually, that's exactly why I got an Onkyo receiver with 2 HDMI outs. Your 5008 has the same feature according to the manual posted:

- Set the HDMI out to 'Both' (main & sub)
- Hook up the main to HDMI 1 on your TV and the sub to HDMI 2 (just an example, any 2 hdmi inputs on your TV will do)
- Assuming your's works like mine and the video adjustments are on the main and not the sub out, set your TV to hdmi 2 when playing games and hdmi1 when watching TV, Bluray, etc. This way you can have separate settings on the TV and receiver for those outputs/inputs depending on the source. Just make sure the AVR is either set to 'Game Mode' or you're on the HDMI out with no processing for PS4.

Of course, once you start using the PS4 for video you'll have to adjust the settings for video playback, but for now it will keep the PS3 settings and the PS4 settings separate.

So, I'm missing something, you're using the AVR for video adjustment?

Wouldn't game mode just be pass through and if you have a calibrated TV it wouldn't matter hat it's in game mode?

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #12521 of 17871 Old 01-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr39 View Post

So, I'm missing something, you're using the AVR for video adjustment?

Wouldn't game mode just be pass through and if you have a calibrated TV it wouldn't matter hat it's in game mode?

No, I'm using both HDMI OUTs on the AVR so I can have two calibrated settings on my TV without having to switch modes or settings depending on my source. I just hit the activity on my harmony remote and my 'film' sources automatically switch to Hdmi 1 on my TV which is set to THX on my Panny and game sources on Hdmi 2 are custom. Those come from the main and sub outputs on my Onkyo respectively.

I try to have no video processing on the AVR at all, but I'm not certain that setting the HDMI out to 'through' or 'direct' and the picture adjustment to 'game' completely disables all video processing by the QDEO chip on the main output. You would think it does, but I can tell you the color gamut and resolution look different on the main and sub outputs on the Onkyo 616 no matter how many combinations of Hdmi out and picture adjustment modes I try on the main output (for the same source & TV settings). The sub output is the only one I know that bypasses the video chip pipeline entirely.

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #12522 of 17871 Old 01-20-2014, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I plan on getting a ps4 sometime after I finally get a tv. Currently I just have a PS Vita. I have no internet connection and I dont plan on getting it. My question is can I use my Vita to get the necessary updates for the PS4?...
post #12523 of 17871 Old 01-20-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1022 View Post

Isn't it odd that the few battery-initiated folks end up with more questions? Heh.
I didn't think lithos needed to be trickle-charged, more a nimh thing.
post #12524 of 17871 Old 01-20-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I'm using both HDMI OUTs on the AVR so I can have two calibrated settings on my TV without having to switch modes or settings depending on my source. I just hit the activity on my harmony remote and my 'film' sources automatically switch to Hdmi 1 on my TV which is set to THX on my Panny and game sources on Hdmi 2 are custom. Those come from the main and sub outputs on my Onkyo respectively.

I try to have no video processing on the AVR at all, but I'm not certain that setting the HDMI out to 'through' or 'direct' and the picture adjustment to 'game' completely disables all video processing by the QDEO chip on the main output. You would think it does, but I can tell you the color gamut and resolution look different on the main and sub outputs on the Onkyo 616 no matter how many combinations of Hdmi out and picture adjustment modes I try on the main output (for the same source & TV settings). The sub output is the only one I know that bypasses the video chip pipeline entirely.

Wouldn't "through" just be HDMI pass through when off?
post #12525 of 17871 Old 01-21-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

Yes,

I do not allow my receiver to do anything except switch sources and sound. All my inputs are set to pass through, this way only the TV is calibrated.
The Onkyo still allows each input to be passed through or video processed independently so you can set the game or AUX port to "Game"and only when the receiver is switched to those inputs will the output be unprocessed.

I don't understand what the issue is
post #12526 of 17871 Old 01-21-2014, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

Nope, there are separate settings on the Onkyo's for HDMI passthrough and image enhancement. I have the passthrough setting set to 'Last out', which means passthrough is enabled for the last hdmi input (out of 4) that I was using when the reciever was turned off.

On the main HDMI out, you can select 'Through', 'Direct', 'Auto', the specific resolution (480, 720, 1080p 24, 1080p 60) or 4K upscaling. According to the little I could find in the manual and online, 'Through' disables image enhancement but may still alter resolution, whereas 'Direct' will alter neither image enhancement or resolution. So in theory, 'Direct' would be the correct setting.

However I believe even when 'Direct' is selected on the main HDMI output, the picture adjustments or 'modes' (Game, Cinema, Custom) are still enabled under 'Picture Adjustment'. This leads me to believe there is still some form of picture enhancement going on even when 'Direct' is selected on the main HDMI output.

Which is why I use the sub HDMI output for my game systems, since there are no picture adjustments available.

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #12527 of 17871 Old 01-21-2014, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

Yes,

I do not allow my receiver to do anything except switch sources and sound. All my inputs are set to pass through, this way only the TV is calibrated.
The Onkyo still allows each input to be passed through or video processed independently so you can set the game or AUX port to "Game"and only when the receiver is switched to those inputs will the output be unprocessed.

Yep cool.gif

Just passing anthony the information I found for the most 'lag free' experience using Onkyo receivers with dual HDMI outs. The primary has a game mode option under the picture adjustment menu (menu option 4), but you should also set the HDMI out (menu option 1) to 'Direct', not 'Though' according to the manual (as I posted above) or you will still potentially have upscaling happening at the receiver.

Since the 5008 has dual hdmi outs like the NR616, the easiest way to eliminate potential lag is to use the second hdmi output (called the sub) because the image processing chip only affects the main output.

HDMI passthrough when the receiver is off is a separate setting. Cant recall which menu it is off the top of my head but I have mine set at 'Last out' as stated above. You can also set specific hdmi inputs to always passthrough when the receiver is off, but I believe you can only specify one.

Clear as day for me, but it wasn't until I started researching and mucking around in the Onkyo's menus. Very different from the Yamaha HDMI receivers I have owned...but I like the control over the image output the Onkyo's offer:D

Thats what I do.

post #12528 of 17871 Old 01-21-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep cool.gif

Just passing anthony the information I found for the most 'lag free' experience using Onkyo receivers with dual HDMI outs. The primary has a game mode option under the picture adjustment menu (menu option 4), but you should also set the HDMI out (menu option 1) to 'Direct', not 'Though' according to the manual (as I posted above) or you will still potentially have upscaling happening at the receiver.

Since the 5008 has dual hdmi outs like the NR616, the easiest way to eliminate potential lag is to use the second hdmi output (called the sub) because the image processing chip only affects the main output.

HDMI passthrough when the receiver is off is a separate setting. Cant recall which menu it is off the top of my head but I have mine set at 'Last out' as stated above. You can also set specific hdmi inputs to always passthrough when the receiver is off, but I believe you can only specify one.
Quote:

However I believe even when 'Direct' is selected on the main HDMI output, the picture adjustments or 'modes' (Game, Cinema, Custom) are still enabled under 'Picture Adjustment'. This leads me to believe there is still some form of picture enhancement going on even when 'Direct' is selected on the main HDMI output.

I haven't touched my 5008 settings since 2010, it was set it and forget it..

To clarify, I have my sources to be passed through unprocessed but they do not pass through the receiver if the receiver is off.
post #12529 of 17871 Old 01-21-2014, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I haven't touched my 5008 settings since 2010, it was set it and forget it..

To clarify, I have my sources to be passed through unprocessed but they do not pass through the receiver if the receiver is off.

So what HDMI settings did you set & forget on the 5008? Looking at the manual posted above the menu items are very similar to the 616 with some slightly different names. On page 47 for monitor out did you select main, sub or both? If you're just using main did you select Through, auto or source for resolution? And under picture adjustments did you select 'Game' or 'Custom' with game mode set to 'on'?

I still feel more comfortable using the HDMI sub out for gaming since I know know image processing is happening. I assume the 5008 works the same way but since I have a 616 I cant test that theory;)

Thats what I do.

post #12530 of 17871 Old 01-21-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So what HDMI settings did you set & forget on the 5008? Looking at the manual posted above the menu items are very similar to the 616 with some slightly different names. On page 47 for monitor out did you select main, sub or both? If you're just using main did you select Through, auto or source for resolution? And under picture adjustments did you select 'Game' or 'Custom' with game mode set to 'on'?

I still feel more comfortable using the HDMI sub out for gaming since I know know image processing is happening. I assume the 5008 works the same way but since I have a 616 I cant test that theory;)

I will be back home this weekend and i;ll take a look at my settings.
post #12531 of 17871 Old 01-21-2014, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I will be back home this weekend and i;ll take a look at my settings.

Cool, your settings will be more directly beneficial for anthony since you have the same model, but I'd be curious to see them too for my own benefit.

Maybe I'll start a thread in the general gaming forum on receiver settings for gaming. Then we can keep the discussion going without getting too OT here.

EDIT: Looks like someone beat us to it...started 1/15/13: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452009/input-lag-from-receivers#post_24243677

Thats what I do.

post #12532 of 17871 Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 254
Just a heads up, apparently there is a PS4 bug that is corrupting save files. Also, once the save file is corrupted, apparently it renders all of your apps unusable.

Joystiq article

The only thing I'm currently playing is NBA2k14, and luckily I haven't seen this bug yet.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #12533 of 17871 Old 01-21-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 678
So has Sony mentioned anything about a new update coming? Since the Holiday season is over now I figured they would have something to correct some of the issues and maybe add some features too.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #12534 of 17871 Old 01-21-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

Just a heads up, apparently there is a PS4 bug that is corrupting save files. Also, once the save file is corrupted, apparently it renders all of your apps unusable.

Joystiq article

The only thing I'm currently playing is NBA2k14, and luckily I haven't seen this bug yet.

Sony is stating that it can be fixed by A). Re-install the official console patch (1.50) and then re-patch the affected title (assuming after uninstall) B). Backup game save files, and reinitialize the console.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So has Sony mentioned anything about a new update coming? Since the Holiday season is over now I figured they would have something to correct some of the issues and maybe add some features too.

Yes...they've nothing to say at this time tongue.gif; lol, it's getting a little deflating considering no major game news is coming down the pipeline. More-so they (Sony) aren't talking about what features are prioritized or if they have any sort of internal release schedule.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #12535 of 17871 Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Sony should have another event in February to talk about upcoming titles, for now they are still riding the launch hype. No need to announce a bunch of titles when you are still selling out every unit shipped.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #12536 of 17871 Old 01-21-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 691
yeah but the console has been out for months and there are numerous things that needed to be fixed/added/patched... even my headphones don't work well with the PS4 right now..
curtlots likes this.
post #12537 of 17871 Old 01-21-2014, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

yeah but the console has been out for months and there are numerous things that needed to be fixed/added/patched... even my headphones don't work well with the PS4 right now..

That's a fair comment and I agree.
post #12538 of 17871 Old 01-21-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I'm waiting for the update that will allow the PULSE headset to be used with the PS4.

Come on Sony!
post #12539 of 17871 Old 01-21-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 542
I find this interesting, kind of fits the bill for certain posters at forums as well. "$ony sucks", come on MS send me some money biggrin.gif

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/01/stealth-marketing-microsoft-paying-youtubers-for-xbox-one-mentions/

Stealth marketing: Microsoft paying YouTubers for Xbox One mentions
Machinima campaign offered undisclosed money to videos promoting new console.

"may not say anything negative or disparaging about Machinima, Xbox One, or any of its Games"
post #12540 of 17871 Old 01-21-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Actually, that's exactly why I got an Onkyo receiver with 2 HDMI outs. Your 5008 has the same feature according to the manual posted:

- Set the HDMI out to 'Both' (main & sub)
- Hook up the main to HDMI 1 on your TV and the sub to HDMI 2 (just an example, any 2 hdmi inputs on your TV will do)
- Assuming your's works like mine and the video adjustments are on the main and not the sub out, set your TV to hdmi 2 when playing games and hdmi1 when watching TV, Bluray, etc. This way you can have separate settings on the TV and receiver for those outputs/inputs depending on the source. Just make sure the AVR is either set to 'Game Mode' or you're on the HDMI out with no processing for PS4.

Of course, once you start using the PS4 for video you'll have to adjust the settings for video playback, but for now it will keep the PS3 settings and the PS4 settings separate.

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
Wow thanks! That would definitely do it. Though you're right - this portends a future wherein I strip out disc/streaming from gaming. Maybe an Oppo 103D + Roku stick. That way I could put both gaming systems on the clean path and keep movies and streaming properly calibrated
Quote:

Yes,

Good to know that that setting is local per input, but it doesn't solve the issue of having two different modes/settings on the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

Joystiq article

My kids lost a Minecraft world they'd long toiled in. They were pretty devastated.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page