PlayStation 4 - Page 490 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14671 of 17078 Old 03-21-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I just created a second profile on the PS4, I think the option is right there on the sign in screen. Only thing I don't like about it is that I can't back-up the second profile's game saves to the cloud. You have to create a "sub" account to be able to save the second accounts stuff to the cloud, without paying for a second PS+ sub that is. Problem with sub accounts is that it requires you to hand over personal information to Sony and I want just don't want to do that to my 6 and 4 year old kids yet. They have no need for email or a Sony account at this age, I just don't understand why sub accounts can't just use the main account's registration info but have a separate username.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14672 of 17078 Old 03-21-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I just created a second profile on the PS4, I think the option is right there on the sign in screen. Only thing I don't like about it is that I can't back-up the second profile's game saves to the cloud. You have to create a "sub" account to be able to save the second accounts stuff to the cloud, without paying for a second PS+ sub that is. Problem with sub accounts is that it requires you to hand over personal information to Sony and I want just don't want to do that to my 6 and 4 year old kids yet. They have no need for email or a Sony account at this age, I just don't understand why sub accounts can't just use the main account's registration info but have a separate username.

Right - that is why I thought I was missing something. Seems like they expect and want a lot just to be able to have multiple profiles...
post #14673 of 17078 Old 03-21-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I think my PS4 is hosed. I went to watch a movie on disc and it wouldn't load, wouldn't eject, the light on the system itself was glowing white. Finally it ejected but it wouldn't turn off, either using the controller or pushing the button on the console so I had to unplug it. Plugged it back in and it seemed fine so I tried another disc, same thing. I'll have to call Sony when I get back from vacation, but man this sucks.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
post #14674 of 17078 Old 03-21-2014, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just picked my PS4 up last week. Am keeping my PS3 for now and already sold my Panasonic BDP-220.

A few thought so far.

I have both machines hooked up to a STR DN840 receiver, with HDMI from it to a P55ST50.

My fiancé has a Netflix account and since she's overseas she's letting me use it here. I've used it in the PS3 before but couldn't recall the app or playback quality, and I know it's changed with updates. With the PS3 I have to switch between PCM and bitstream in order for Netflix to output DD+ audio. Amazon still only outputs PCM with either option.

In the PS4, with bitstream DD selected, the same things happens except amazon will output DD in those titles that support it. If PCM is selected, If I recall correctly, it will only do PCM. If watching BDs, you have to access options via the remote to change the audio from PCM to bitstream, if you choose to do so. If they had this same option for the apps that would be great. My question is, since the PS4 seems to have he audio settings reflect three choices...PCM, DD, and DTS (each with priority next to them) you would think the machine would go to that setting as default should the source material have such an audio option present. This way you wont have to constantly switch between formats. I imagine this is the case because of game titles and different games support audio and people may want to choose one format over the other.

As for other differences, I'm still awaiting a Bluetooth enabled remote for BD playback. I liked the previous remote, even if it went overboard on buttons. I really liked the display option where you could select it and it would give the track info, bitrates, audio, etc. the PS4 doesn't do this (yet) but when you hit triangle it will give you some display options, along with a banner along the button with a cover art of the movie and some other info. I liked the more refined display on the PS3, especially on Netflix. When you selected it you could see the audio and video info. Watching House of Cards on netflix I could see it was steaming in Super HD at 1080P, or when it would fluctuate. Probably a personal preference but I liked that feature.

So far playback has been great. Load times are quick, no video or audio issues. I almost think it rivals the PS3 but it could be my ears.

I like the blazing fast menu interface and easier to find options.

Only one game so far, Tomb Raider, and it's improvements over it's PS3 counterpart are evident. The PCM 7.1 on it sounds so much better on here. The surround effects are truly remarkable. I don't own many titles but it's very well done and in look forward to future titles. The sound seems a little loud and aggressive and I had to turn it down from my usual volume.

The remote is well designed but the LED light is too bright and I plan to buy a set if stickers online to cover it up. A BD remote should he out this summer from what I heard but that is to be seen.

If anyone has question on my setup and how it works, etc just let me know

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men."

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 06-08.

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 09-10.

Operation Enduring Freedom Campaign Veteran, 12-13.

post #14675 of 17078 Old 03-21-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Income tax return has caused the PS4 itch to emerge but I'm not scratching yet. There are just no titles I have to have yet. Probably get a good outside TV antenna and a cane to shake at the kids outside.
tampabuc likes this.

post #14676 of 17078 Old 03-21-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Income tax return has caused the PS4 itch to emerge but I'm not scratching yet. There are just no titles I have to have yet. Probably get a good outside TV antenna and a cane to shake at the kids outside.

Just shake the antenna at them, you'll look less old. Crazier, but less old👍
post #14677 of 17078 Old 03-21-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Just shake the antenna at them, you'll look less old. Crazier, but less old👍

Good idea. I'll just use my dish as a cane. Probably get a check for that.

post #14678 of 17078 Old 03-21-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
I switched from cable to antenna, so far I don't regret it. The extra money each month is a nice bonus too. biggrin.gif

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #14679 of 17078 Old 03-21-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I switched from cable to antenna, so far I don't regret it. The extra money each month is a nice bonus too. biggrin.gif

Same here. Going into month 2. I have nearly stopped watching TV and treat it as a campfire. I do watch a lot of movies, time permitting, but most of the TV is used for the kid. My wife was a big holdout but Amazon Instant has her covered. We did it to facilitate a change in our routines and cut out the ooze/slime.

post #14680 of 17078 Old 03-21-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

I think my PS4 is hosed. I went to watch a movie on disc and it wouldn't load, wouldn't eject, the light on the system itself was glowing white. Finally it ejected but it wouldn't turn off, either using the controller or pushing the button on the console so I had to unplug it. Plugged it back in and it seemed fine so I tried another disc, same thing. I'll have to call Sony when I get back from vacation, but man this sucks.

Ah man that sucks. At least it is under warranty. I hope sony gets you taken care of quickly.
post #14681 of 17078 Old 03-21-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:

Been a year for us now. Netflix and Playon all the way with an occasional rental. Haven't regretted it one bit. So now I game a lot more and idle on TV a lot less. What I (we) do watch is a whole series at a time which is great.
post #14682 of 17078 Old 03-21-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I wish I could cut the cord, but my wife didn't enjoy it at all and I'm a huge sports fan and that caused some issues.
tampabuc likes this.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #14683 of 17078 Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

Been a year for us now. Netflix and Playon all the way with an occasional rental. Haven't regretted it one bit. So now I game a lot more and idle on TV a lot less. What I (we) do watch is a whole series at a time which is great.

We have landed on Amazon and Plex. Since the "net neutrality" thing Netflix will not come down in HD on my ATT but all the others do. We have a sub to Hulu but barely use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I wish I could cut the cord, but my wife didn't enjoy it at all and I'm a huge sports fan and that caused some issues.

Yeah, I'm not a sports guy so no loss for me and the wife found all her shows on Amazon for 1-2 bucks a pop. She is a Bravo/Real Housewife fan, surprisingly the SD versions look as good as Directv HD. As for the kid she has never known physical media and all her stuff is ON DEMAND AND I MEAN RIGHT NOW DAMMIT so Plex won out although Serviio is higher picture quality. So we have picked up more books, listened to more music, and just care less about the TV. I'm counting it as a win.

What's the current state of the "streaming" apps on PS4 and media server access?

post #14684 of 17078 Old 03-21-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 191
@Nayan
Bummer. Stories like that make me wonder about getting a warranty.
post #14685 of 17078 Old 03-21-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

@Nayan
Bummer. Stories like that make me wonder about getting a warranty.

Yeah, these days that extended warranty is a must buy for me at least. They've saved me a couple of times from being up the creek with no paddle.

post #14686 of 17078 Old 03-22-2014, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

We have landed on Amazon and Plex. Since the "net neutrality" thing Netflix will not come down in HD on my ATT but all the others do. We have a sub to Hulu but barely use it.
Yeah, I'm not a sports guy so no loss for me and the wife found all her shows on Amazon for 1-2 bucks a pop. She is a Bravo/Real Housewife fan, surprisingly the SD versions look as good as Directv HD. As for the kid she has never known physical media and all her stuff is ON DEMAND AND I MEAN RIGHT NOW DAMMIT so Plex won out although Serviio is higher picture quality. So we have picked up more books, listened to more music, and just care less about the TV. I'm counting it as a win.

What's the current state of the "streaming" apps on PS4 and media server access?

Netflix, crunchyroll, prime, (hulu?)...no DLNA still, but if you run plex you can use the web browser to access your media; personally I'd rather have the plex home theater app build for PS4 or something. Still using PS3 for streaming and HTPC for media server access (gotta have that True HD audio!)...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I posted this in the MGSV thread, noticed after picking it up, that the DVR feature isn't auto recording; confirmed again with Infamous this evening. Anyone else having this issue or know what may have triggered it? I can create a manual recording if desired, but no auto record it seems.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
Facebook: www.facebook.com/gundumgaming
post #14687 of 17078 Old 03-22-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

Netflix, crunchyroll, prime, (hulu?)...no DLNA still, but if you run plex you can use the web browser to access your media; personally I'd rather have the plex home theater app build for PS4 or something. Still using PS3 for streaming and HTPC for media server access (gotta have that True HD audio!)...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I posted this in the MGSV thread, noticed after picking it up, that the DVR feature isn't auto recording; confirmed again with Infamous this evening. Anyone else having this issue or know what may have triggered it? I can create a manual recording if desired, but no auto record it seems.

No way would I want to use the browser for that. Thanks for that info though.

post #14688 of 17078 Old 03-22-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-infamous-second-son-performance-analysis

This is a digital foundry Performance analysis of Infamous . They have an Hour of footage . I found myself watching it all... I am going to pick this up as soon as the price drops.
post #14689 of 17078 Old 03-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

happened to me with the first BD I tried to watch
haven't had an issue since
make sure you have the most recent system update just to be on the safe side
post #14690 of 17078 Old 03-22-2014, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
How much air can you feel blowing out the back of your PS4? I can hear the fan, but I don't feel much movement. I can feel heat, but not blowing air. Kind of odd and not sure if that's normal.

500 gigs FTW.
post #14691 of 17078 Old 03-23-2014, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

How much air can you feel blowing out the back of your PS4? I can hear the fan, but I don't feel much movement. I can feel heat, but not blowing air. Kind of odd and not sure if that's normal.

About the same on my system. Even after about 3 hours of infamous it is barely warm.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #14692 of 17078 Old 03-23-2014, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

SSD prices are dropping like rocks, a 500GB drive is down to $250 for a Samsung Evo. It is starting to get to where they are a viable option for upgrades!

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #14693 of 17078 Old 03-23-2014, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:

About the same on my system. Even after about 3 hours of infamous it is barely warm.

I just played Infamous for about 2 hours and the top right is a bit warm, but certainly not hot. So I guess it's fine.

500 gigs FTW.
post #14694 of 17078 Old 03-23-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

I just played Infamous for about 2 hours and the top right is a bit warm, but certainly not hot. So I guess it's fine.
I played for a couple hours yesterday and it didn't get hot, but the fan was pretty noticeable. I was actually kind of shocked at how loud it was.

post #14695 of 17078 Old 03-23-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I played for a couple hours yesterday and it didn't get hot, but the fan was pretty noticeable. I was actually kind of shocked at how loud it was.

The only time I have ever heard my fan is when I was playing dead nation, other than that it has always been quieter than my PS3 slim.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #14696 of 17078 Old 03-23-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if I need to send mine in.

post #14697 of 17078 Old 03-23-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

Mine is doing the same. Notice it is with the games that tend to be higher in image quality (KZ, MGS5, Infamous). Doubt it's something to worry about.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
Facebook: www.facebook.com/gundumgaming
post #14698 of 17078 Old 03-23-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Can't say I've noticed the fan on mine, but I have my volume up fairly loud. Makes sense since its likely taxing the system more. Unless it gets vacuum cleaner loud, I wouldn't worry about it.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #14699 of 17078 Old 03-23-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It seems a lot of people have systems that run hotter than others. Might be differences in source parts or production runs.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #14700 of 17078 Old 03-23-2014, 10:53 AM

Liked: 11
I used to hear mine all the time in the cabinet. Then I installed four 40mm fans (two in at the bottom, two out at the top) and that took care of my loud ps4 fan.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page