post #15482 of 17769 Old 04-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah, it's definitely one of the better 3D games. It's sad what's happened to 3D gaming, even though more people have 3D sets than ever before, and the new consoles are so much more powerful. This was supposed to be the time where it finally came together, and instead it's just fading away.

As far as gaming goes yeah I agree, but as far as movies all the biggest blockbusters are still coming out in 3D. I'm still planning on seeing Captain America, X-Men DOFP, Amazing Spiderman 2, and many others in 3D this summer if I don't end up just waiting to buy the 3D blu. 3D is dead yeah yeah yeah trolls like to say it all the time but rumors of its demise have been are always greatly exaggerated. And now with the Rift and the Playstation VR coming out 3D gaming is coming back around already just in a different form. But this time in the form of heavy goggles compared to the rather lightweight 3D glasses everyone loves to complain about wearing haha

post #15483 of 17769 Old 04-28-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

VR ftw!

I think there's a good chance it suffers the same fate. All the elements are there - the performance of the consoles isn't good enough for "proper" VR. It requires expensive, antisocial headgear that makes you look stupid. Potential health concerns about motion sickness and discomfort from extended use. Numerous competing standards and an install base too small for devs to bring out anything but half assed ports that do more harm than good to the public image of the format, setting it back years.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #15484 of 17769 Old 04-28-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:

I think there's a good chance it suffers the same fate. All the elements are there - the performance of the consoles isn't good enough for "proper" VR. It requires expensive, antisocial headgear that makes you look stupid. Potential health concerns about motion sickness and discomfort from extended use. Numerous competing standards and an install base too small for devs to bring out anything but half assed ports that do more harm than good to the public image of the format, setting it back years.

Maybe but I'd still like to see it. From my perspective it should be more easily adopted than 3D was which needs a special TV, and no I'm not ditching my DLP for another $2400 TV just to watch 3D on. I assume many people are the same. VR at least doesn't need anything but the ninja helmet. Ultimately what I'd like to see is a good first effort on PS4 with a strong follow up on PS5. wink.gif
d_m1010 likes this.
post #15485 of 17769 Old 04-28-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:

The consoles have plenty of power for VR. You aren't going to get Killzone type graphics but if done proper it will sell systems.

In the end it may look like you are playing a 360 or PS3 but I don't see that as a horrible experience if you feel that you are in the game.
post #15486 of 17769 Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

The consoles have plenty of power for VR. You aren't going to get Killzone type graphics but if done proper it will sell systems.

In the end it may look like you are playing a 360 or PS3 but I don't see that as a horrible experience if you feel that you are in the game.

Yeah, but that would require designing a game from the ground up for VR - and then we run into the same chicken or egg problem every peripheral has dealt with...devs won't make exclusive games unless lots of people own the peripheral, and people won't buy the peripheral unless there's amazing exclusive experiences. In that sense it's even worse for VR than 3D, because at least "traditional" games work well in 3D.

If Sony was leading the charge I'd be comfortable declaring it's inevitable failure right now, but if they push hard to bring over oculus games I think they can piggyback on the OR's potential success. But it'll never be more than a pale imitation.

post #15487 of 17769 Old 04-28-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:

Yeah, but that would require designing a game from the ground up for VR - and then we run into the same chicken or egg problem every peripheral has dealt with...devs won't make exclusive games unless lots of people own the peripheral, and people won't buy the peripheral unless there's amazing exclusive experiences. In that sense it's even worse for VR than 3D, because at least "traditional" games work well in 3D.

If Sony was leading the charge I'd be comfortable declaring it's inevitable failure right now, but if they push hard to bring over oculus games I think they can piggyback on the OR's potential success. But it'll never be more than a pale imitation.

I fully expect sony to develop some games but as you saw with their Demo's they have already ported over some of the Occulus demo's like eve.

Oculus is also in a Niche here so rest assured that any developer putting time and money into a non exclusive VR game is going to want to push that game to any and every VR platform .

If there is a PS5, this may be one of the things which drives it. The only thing which I believe may cause VR to fail is the VR hardware itself. I am less concerend with the games then I am with sony getting the hardware right.
post #15488 of 17769 Old 04-28-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
VR is the future, this is just the first step. Think of the here and now like the first crude 3D games of the early 90s. It is a start.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #15489 of 17769 Old 04-28-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 173
VR will be the future when they can implement it into Google Glass or the like. I'd have to agree with bd here, this will be fade just like 3D.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #15490 of 17769 Old 04-28-2014, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I kinda think the opposite. The 3D display/TV has already been widely adopted (in comparison to standalone VR equipment) and with the PS4 and 'bone's relatively strong CPU & GPU setup I think there is enough latent potential that some talented and visionary developer is gonna eventually produce a "must have" 3D centric console gaming experience.

As already noted for easily the past 5 years Hollywood has embraced the potential of 3D blockbuster films. Even if they only generate 25-30% of gross ticket sales that is still more than enough to substantiate the technology as commercially viable. At some point I think an ambitious and deep pocketed developer (kinda using Cameron's Avatar as a film example) is gonna say "watch this" and produce a 3D from the ground up gaming experience that truly knocks our socks off.

However I admit to being a fan of the technology and therefore admittedly see things through rose tinted glasses. wink.gif
gamermwm likes this.
post #15491 of 17769 Old 04-28-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

VR is the future, this is just the first step. Think of the here and now like the first crude 3D games of the early 90s. It is a start.

That's what everyone (including myself) said about motion controls with the Wii. It's going to be so immersive and change everything, etc etc. And there was some legitimately cool stuff, and lots of potential for future revisions to fully realize the promise....and now it's a dead fad. There's no guarantee VR sticks around, it could just as easily be buried for a decade before it's resurrected again.

post #15492 of 17769 Old 04-28-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
VR won't truly take off until there is a control breakthrough. Something that mimics The Matrix or Sword Art Online, and even then it will be a slow burn at first thanks to all the stories set in a virtual world gone wrong.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #15493 of 17769 Old 04-28-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

VR won't truly take off until there is a control breakthrough. Something that mimics The Matrix or Sword Art Online, and even then it will be a slow burn at first thanks to all the stories set in a virtual world gone wrong.

Well, that ain't gonna happen on the ps4, that's for sure. I still think VR has a good shot on PC, but it's going nowhere on consoles. And if any of the dead end console solutions succeed in dragging enough attention away from a potential open standard, that's when I start to fear for it's survival. If MS announces their own proprietary VR headset, it's probably game over for VR until 2025.

post #15494 of 17769 Old 04-28-2014, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

That didn't sound like trolling, more like he should have popped that chunk of dough on something else or saved it.

I came off as quite the PS4 outsider ass previously. Confirmations accepted! biggrin.gif

No excuse but bad day, week, etc.

Gaming is a great hobby and I am very passionate about it. It saves thousands of dollars in bar tabs every year. biggrin.gif

I expect a lot from these consoles - maybe more than can be delivered. Like for like would have been a nice start but that didn't happen. Looking back 20+ years, we have it pretty good regardless.

In my case, name a game on most consoles including this gen, even WiiU, and it's already been played or purchased, plus TF, Forza, Ryse, etc. are more than worth the price of admission on that other evil console, plus all of the other cross-platform games have been great. I'm just not seeing much new here on this side; not yet - considering the overall investment. At the end of the day, you must own multiple consoles to get the best of the best, nothing new.

I am not so patiently waiting for MLB The Show (PS4) to come out so I can start to kick some ass in the AL East (totally up for grabs; reality sucks at the moment). After that, the sky is the limit (early Destiny access - smart move Sony)!

In the meantime, 3D pinball (ZenPinball 2) does seriously kick some ass!

Enjoy all.
post #15495 of 17769 Old 04-28-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

Sounds like you didn't activate it as the Primary console.
Yes I've had the same issue on a secondary console where PSN was down and couldn't validate the secondary console for a digital game.

You might be on to something here. I just activated it again so I'll see if the problem returns. Would having a Ps3 and Ps4 cause conflict here? I ask because my original phat died not to long ago and I had to buy another ps3. I may have activated that as primary. I have no idea if the ps3/ps4 are linked like that?

thanks btw
post #15496 of 17769 Old 04-28-2014, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Not sure if this is new or not, but Child of Light has a demo on PSN: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/child-of-light-demo/cid=UP0001-CUSA00339_00-CHILDOFLIGHTDEMO

So far this game is getting top notch ratings, looks like a must play for RPG fans.
freemeat likes this.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #15497 of 17769 Old 04-29-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

That's what everyone (including myself) said about motion controls with the Wii. It's going to be so immersive and change everything, etc etc. And there was some legitimately cool stuff, and lots of potential for future revisions to fully realize the promise....and now it's a dead fad. There's no guarantee VR sticks around, it could just as easily be buried for a decade before it's resurrected again.
LOL everyone didn't say that, especially in the gaming community. Casuals said that and those casuals bought two games.

Why won't the VR have Killzone level graphics? It's capable of 1080p, just half of the horizontal resolution technically.
post #15498 of 17769 Old 04-29-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post

..... [snip], plus TF, Forza, Ryse, etc. are more than worth the price of admission on that other evil console, plus all of the other cross-platform games have been great. I'm just not seeing much new here on this side; not yet - considering the overall investment.

If you consider cross platform games to be "the other side" and not "this side", then that's the problem your perception is generating. Of course the PS4 pales in comparison content wise if you associate every cross-platform game with Xbox. If you strip all that away and just look at exclusives, the long term bet has been with Sony. Sure right now one doesn't really stand out (save for maybe Titanfall), but over the course of the next few years I would expect Sony to have the more diverse lineup, because they are simply better at handling their first party stuff.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #15499 of 17769 Old 04-29-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Curious if any PS4 owners specifically have picked up the Amazon Fire Game controller with the AFT and then also how you think the AFT supplements the PS4 media abilities right now.
post #15500 of 17769 Old 04-29-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

Curious if any PS4 owners specifically have picked up the Amazon Fire Game controller with the AFT and then also how you think the AFT supplements the PS4 media abilities right now.

I don't even understand the gaming aspect of the FireTV. I have an XBOne and a PS4 in the same room with my FireTv. Why would I ever use the FireTv for games?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #15501 of 17769 Old 04-29-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I'm hoping to avoid posts about why NOT to get it, the why not is obvious.
post #15502 of 17769 Old 04-29-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

LOL everyone didn't say that, especially in the gaming community. Casuals said that and those casuals bought two games.

Why won't the VR have Killzone level graphics? It's capable of 1080p, just half of the horizontal resolution technically.

Because they need to keep the latency down or else you'll vom. They have to maintain a high frame rate 60-75fps without major frame drops, so they have to leave a lot of power in reserve for worst case scenarios. They have to render two separate frames, which doubles a lot of calculations such as shadowing, triangle setup, etc...its not the same performance profile as 1080p. And they need to leave a lot of performance enhancing tricks off the table like rendering several frames ahead.

It's a much bigger burden than regular 3D. Maybe they can pull off killzone 2/3 level graphics, but that won't be able to compete with mid gen PS4 gfx. So a "standard" version won't sell well, but if they made a VR exclusive, then so few people can buy it, it won't sell well either. So who's going to bother making that? It's a losing proposition either way.

post #15503 of 17769 Old 04-29-2014, 09:05 AM

So now DriveClub won't come out until Oct 7?!
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/29/driveclub-release-date-officially-revealed
Quote:
Sony has announced Driveclub will be available on PS4 from October 7 in North America, October 8 in Europe and October 10 in the UK.

Damn it, there's already too many games releasing 4th quarter this year and that's without the dozen or so that will be annoucned at E3.

Jeebus why must they always stuff the gaming fire hose down our throats every Holiday season. mad.gif
freemeat likes this.
post #15504 of 17769 Old 04-29-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 682
maybe the last guardian will come out the same time as driveclub smile.gif
post #15505 of 17769 Old 04-29-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post

So now DriveClub won't come out until Oct 7?!
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/29/driveclub-release-date-officially-revealed
Damn it, there's already too many games releasing 4th quarter this year and that's without the dozen or so that will be annoucned at E3.

Jeebus why must they always stuff the gaming fire hose down our throats every Holiday season. mad.gif

Yeah the pacing could be better but I'm glad the game was delayed if it leads to a big improvement.
post #15506 of 17769 Old 04-29-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

Not sure if this is new or not, but Child of Light has a demo on PSN: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/child-of-light-demo/cid=UP0001-CUSA00339_00-CHILDOFLIGHTDEMO

So far this game is getting top notch ratings, looks like a must play for RPG fans.

Played the demo for about 10 minutes and really liked it.

Going to make the purchase and since I wont be home for most of the day I'll have to remote play in to play it.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #15507 of 17769 Old 04-29-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Yeah the pacing could be better but I'm glad the game was delayed if it leads to a big improvement.

Don't get me wrong I am also happy that they are taking the time to make it "right." smile.gif

However I hate having to choose between 28,342,895,876,134 awesome games every Oct - Nov!! I love choice except when I hate that there are too damn many good choices! biggrin.gif
post #15508 of 17769 Old 04-29-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Demons Souls 2 for PS4 launching on Oct 2014 biggrin.gif I wish!
icelt likes this.
post #15509 of 17769 Old 04-29-2014, 10:01 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

The lug nuts in this game are going to be like woah. Dude, check out the nuts on this car!
freemeat likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #15510 of 17769 Old 04-29-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

The lug nuts in this game are going to be like woah. Dude, check out the nuts on this car!

Yes, that and the fact that every piece of grass is 100% accurate to the region, every bee hive, every honey badger. They are not messing around.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page