PlayStation 4 - Page 535 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #16021 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 124
All of these apps are lousy with high-res images, when you account for that and add in drive reservations for streaming buffers it can add up quickly. 1GB seems like a bit much but check out how much memory your browser sucks down on your PC sometime...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16022 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 259
For me it is just Amazon and Netflix; the other apps take up less then 100 MB. Not a big deal was just curious.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #16023 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

I'll pass this along, I dont think I read it anywhere here. I noticed I was having upload issues with my games. Kept seeing a Upload failed on my game saves. If I went to the upload it would say another file exists and if I want to overwrite it. I press yes and everything works fine. So after awhile I decided to google this up and I found a few reddits on the same topic. Just passing this along to others to check and see if it works. If any file on you HD goes corrupt and its not uploading well I hate to see people having to start all over.

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/24lif4/saved_data_wont_upload_while_in_standby_mode/

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/24mdrv/okaythis_is_a_first/

On another note, most likely NBA 2K14 related, while investigating the previous error I had a message saying that my cloud storage was full. I am thinking no way do I have 1gb of saves unless The Show saves some very large files. So I go and check it out and in my cloud 2K14 has over 900mb used. It seems like instead of overwriting the saves it was just creating new ones over and over. So I deleted them all but that last files and got that in check also. Storage is back to normal.

I am going to copy all my saves over to a USB just in case of an upload error or something goes corrupt.

This has been happening to me on every game and on every upload now, it says another PS4 uploaded the file on their server, definitely annoying, but it's good to know it's not just me this is happening to.

PSN = Hatcher14
post #16024 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 253
It started happening to me 2 days or so ago as well, I assume it's just something being tweaked on Sony's end since it started happening to a bunch of people at the same time.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #16025 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Same issue here for ACBF but no other game. PS4 for shutdown twice while playing MLB the Show.

Xbox live: Mighty GLI
PS3: Mighty-Gli
post #16026 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Litigator View Post

Same issue here for ACBF but no other game. PS4 for shutdown twice while playing MLB the Show.

Funny you mentioned that. While playing The Show my PS4 fans are running on high. I never realize how loud the system can get. Its actually kind of annoying.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #16027 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Quote:

Funny you mentioned that. While playing The Show my PS4 fans are running on high. I never realize how loud the system can get. Its actually kind of annoying.
Mine used to run extremely loud, but I grabbed some small pads to mount under each corner and now the system seems to be whisper quiet.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #16028 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

Mine used to run extremely loud, but I grabbed some small pads to mount under each corner and now the system seems to be whisper quiet.

I'll give it a shot. Its the only game that it does with though. Thats why I find it a little weird.

post #16029 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Quote:

I'll give it a shot. Its the only game that it does with though. Thats why I find it a little weird.
Mine was really loud on infamous. I knew my console was one of those wobbly ones, so I did the set up just hoping it would make it more stable and was surprised to hear it cut down significantly on the noise. Good luck.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #16030 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

I used to get that playing KZ Shadowfall. Haven't noticed with any other games though.

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #16031 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 211
KZ:SF, Infamous, and Bound by Flame have been titles I have really noticed the fan. I always though it was games that were of higher image quality taxing the system....curious to try @americangunner idea of the small pads.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #16032 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 737
when your ps4 gets loud just do what i do and turn up the volume on your headphones.. works every time...
post #16033 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

when your ps4 gets loud just do what i do and turn up the volume on your headphones.. works every time...

Then that means mph gets louder. I'll stick with the fans
harrybnbad likes this.

post #16034 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I just picked up Wolfenstein and man it looks cool. I'm up for some Nazi stomping action tonight!

Psn: memnoch1010
Xbox live: meadoch
post #16035 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

MLB The Show has also been a lot of fun.

post #16036 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

I just picked up Wolfenstein and man it looks cool. I'm up for some Nazi stomping action tonight!

Yup me to. Painful to pay what we do in Canada but I wanted a new game and I love shooters.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
post #16037 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

And that's the irony, I don't really like shooters but it's bethesda and the story (and mechs) looks so damn cool.

post #16038 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

I just went to Target for the triple trade in game value and walked away with the camera after spending eight dollars.
I've only used the Kinect so we'll see how unimpressed I am with it.

I just got $132 for (Call of Duty, Knack, Killzone and The Last of Us). I may have to go back biggrin.gif

Take whatever figure the page gives you and x3.

http://www.targettradeinprogram.com/
post #16039 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)

Sorry in advance if this is the wrong thread and for the long post.

I have a Yamaha 5.1 Receiver that PS4 and Standalone Blu-Ray Player are hooked up to via HDMI.  I've always used the standalone player for Blu-Rays.  I've recently noticed low/quiet audio on a few Blu-Ray Titles.  Star Trek: Into Darkness was extremely quiet.  I have to put my receiver on -4db and it sounds compressed but my receiver clearly says, Dolby True-HD.  I put Star Trek into the PS4 to see if it sounded any different.  I noticed right away it seemed more punchy and full.  I could leave it on -9db on my receiver instead of -4db.  -9db is usually where it stays on 90% of my Blu-Rays.  After tinkering around for 20 minutes, going from scene to scene, I switched from Bitstream to LPCM.  Wow!  It completely opened up and sounded incredible.  Why?  I thought PCM and Bitstream sounded the same.  This is not a placebo effect.  I noticed after switching to PCM the output went up, the explosions, the surrounds, and the overall sound sounded lossless and the bitstream sounded compressed.  I then put in Thor 2, (DTS-MA), and the PCM and Bitstream sounded the same.  Any insight?  

post #16040 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post

Sorry in advance if this is the wrong thread and for the long post.

I have a Yamaha 5.1 Receiver that PS4 and Standalone Blu-Ray Player are hooked up to via HDMI.  I've always used the standalone player for Blu-Rays.  I've recently noticed low/quiet audio on a few Blu-Ray Titles.  Star Trek: Into Darkness was extremely quiet.  I have to put my receiver on -4db and it sounds compressed but my receiver clearly says, Dolby True-HD.  I put Star Trek into the PS4 to see if it sounded any different.  I noticed right away it seemed more punchy and full.  I could leave it on -9db on my receiver instead of -4db.  -9db is usually where it stays on 90% of my Blu-Rays.  After tinkering around for 20 minutes, going from scene to scene, I switched from Bitstream to LPCM.  Wow!  It completely opened up and sounded incredible.  Why?  I thought PCM and Bitstream sounded the same.  This is not a placebo effect.  I noticed after switching to PCM the output went up, the explosions, the surrounds, and the overall sound sounded lossless and the bitstream sounded compressed.  I then put in Thor 2, (DTS-MA), and the PCM and Bitstream sounded the same.  Any insight?  

I can't give you a detailed answer, but i noticed it when I made the demo blurays that circulated in the dedicated theater forum. Some movies, even though untouched, when ripped and trimmed were louder than when played back on the full disc. The takeaway of discussions were that there is header information that can attenuate the level. The data is still the same and won't sound any different other than level relative to reference. Often times if you switch from lossless to one of the lossy codecs the levels are louder but not better. You could probably research it more and get specific details as to the why, but it is what it is. I have preset volumes that I call in iRule. -20, -15, -10. If the particular movie is to low in volume I just jump to the next. My system is a little hot (Klipsch) but I'm guessing my -15 is probably about where your -9 is. -10db if set correctly I believe is reference, in the end it doesn't really matter and you don't risk anything unless a device in your signal chain is clipping somewhere.

post #16041 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

I can't give you a detailed answer, but i noticed it when I made the demo blurays that circulated in the dedicated theater forum. Some movies, even though untouched, when ripped and trimmed were louder than when played back on the full disc. The takeaway of discussions were that there is header information that can attenuate the level. The data is still the same and won't sound any different other than level relative to reference. Often times if you switch from lossless to one of the lossy codecs the levels are louder but not better. You could probably research it more and get specific details as to the why, but it is what it is. I have preset volumes that I call in iRule. -20, -15, -10. If the particular movie is to low in volume I just jump to the next. My system is a little hot (Klipsch) but I'm guessing my -15 is probably about where your -9 is. -10db if set correctly I believe is reference, in the end it doesn't really matter and you don't risk anything unless a device in your signal chain is clipping somewhere.

Interesting.

I did some further testing on some DTS-MA Blu-Rays and noticed bitstream sounded more full and defined than PCM. A few sounded identical.
The DD-True HD Blu-Rays almost always sounded better on PCM. I had some issues with PCM on the original 60G PS3 outputting at a lower volume than bitstream.

PCM and Bitstream on my Panasonic BDT230 are identical on both DTS-MA and DD-TRUE-HD. The Blu-Ray Movies that sounded quiet on the Panasonic Player sound better on the PS4.
post #16042 of 18684 Old 05-20-2014, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Running on a brand new 5.1 Yamaha receiver I have the PS4 outputting audio in PCM and it sounds fantastic with blu ray's, I will have to test some more to see if I notice issues.
post #16043 of 18684 Old 05-21-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting.

I did some further testing on some DTS-MA Blu-Rays and noticed bitstream sounded more full and defined than PCM. A few sounded identical.
The DD-True HD Blu-Rays almost always sounded better on PCM. I had some issues with PCM on the original 60G PS3 outputting at a lower volume than bitstream.

PCM and Bitstream on my Panasonic BDT230 are identical on both DTS-MA and DD-TRUE-HD. The Blu-Ray Movies that sounded quiet on the Panasonic Player sound better on the PS4.

When you say PCM, are you referring to a PCM track on the disc or your player decoding the DTSMA/THD track and outputting PCM after the decode? I'm not sure if more modern Blurays are using PCM directly on the disc, I know early ones did.

I wouldn't trust the PS4 to not mishandle the header in the audio stream for setting the appropriate levels, if that is important to you. I don't think any of these should sound any different in terms of quality (minus maybe a smidgeon for lower fidelity decoding to PCM) but only how load they are at any given level.

For example:

MovieX with DTS-MA being bitstreamed = MovieX with DTS-MA being decoded by the player and output at PCM, however the nominal levels might defer, particularly if a player is not handling the level information appropriately (which I would not trust the PS4 to do at this point, given that Sony obviously has prioritized media capabilities lower than gaming). The quality should not be any different, you should only have to increase volume to match the "fuller" sounding option.

From http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb08/articles/ma_suite.htm
Quote:
Other settings you can control in the DTS decoder include Dialog Normalisation. This has has no effect on the encoding or decoding process, but instructs playback equipment to adjust the audio level after decoding. A single Dialnorm value is applied to an entire programme. Dialnorm can only attenuate — there is no compression involved in this process — and all channels are affected equally. The Dialnorm value entered into the encoder is the subjective average dialogue level of the programme, and this subjective average dialogue level is typically based on an LeqA measurement.

I guess "Dialnorm" is the term I'm referring to when I said "header" information in my last two posts.

Also, your LFE can be 10db hot with DTSHD/THD versus older codecs and standard 2.0. That's been a pain for subwoofer tuning when switching sources.

post #16044 of 18684 Old 05-21-2014, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I didn't see a playstation deals thread so I am posting it here. PS4 for $370 http://www.ebay.com/itm/201094385441
I am not sure if they are an authorized retailer or not.
post #16045 of 18684 Old 05-21-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

When you say PCM, are you referring to a PCM track on the disc or your player decoding the DTSMA/THD track and outputting PCM after the decode? I'm not sure if more modern Blurays are using PCM directly on the disc, I know early ones did.

I wouldn't trust the PS4 to not mishandle the header in the audio stream for setting the appropriate levels, if that is important to you. I don't think any of these should sound any different in terms of quality (minus maybe a smidgeon for lower fidelity decoding to PCM) but only how load they are at any given level.

For example:

MovieX with DTS-MA being bitstreamed = MovieX with DTS-MA being decoded by the player and output at PCM, however the nominal levels might defer, particularly if a player is not handling the level information appropriately (which I would not trust the PS4 to do at this point, given that Sony obviously has prioritized media capabilities lower than gaming). The quality should not be any different, you should only have to increase volume to match the "fuller" sounding option.

From http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb08/articles/ma_suite.htm
I guess "Dialnorm" is the term I'm referring to when I said "header" information in my last two posts.

Also, your LFE can be 10db hot with DTSHD/THD versus older codecs and standard 2.0. That's been a pain for subwoofer tuning when switching sources.

The player decoding it, (PCM). I guess it is just a difference in output not quality. I'm going to stick with the PS4 for now though. I was getting some artifacts on lettering/credits on my standalone player that isn't happening on the PS4. The PS4 also appears to look better. I watched Jaws Blu-Ray and was a little underwhelmed with the picture but just chalked it up to another lackluster transfer. It looked great on the PS4 though. Even the motion was better.
post #16046 of 18684 Old 05-21-2014, 11:41 AM

Liked: 62
MLB the Show and Infamous make my fan kick on like no other.
post #16047 of 18684 Old 05-21-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

Quote:

The player decoding it, (PCM). I guess it is just a difference in output not quality. I'm going to stick with the PS4 for now though. I was getting some artifacts on lettering/credits on my standalone player that isn't happening on the PS4. The PS4 also appears to look better. I watched Jaws Blu-Ray and was a little underwhelmed with the picture but just chalked it up to another lackluster transfer. It looked great on the PS4 though. Even the motion was better.

I was going to go eek.gif until I saw you said it looked better on the PS4. I bought it last summer and was blown away at how good they made an ancient movie like that look.
AncientAlien likes this.
post #16048 of 18684 Old 05-21-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

I was going to go eek.gif until I saw you said it looked better on the PS4. I bought it last summer and was blown away at how good they made an ancient movie like that look.

I was blown away as well, the 2nd time.
post #16049 of 18684 Old 05-21-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 211
What Sony Giveth, Sony doesnt fully implementeh....
Quote:
The ability to pre-load your pre-ordered PS4 games in the PlayStation Store prior to launch was added when firmware update 1.70 was released in April, but as it turns out, pre-loading won’t be a feature you can access until September 2014.

This news comes from the official PlayStation Knowledge Center, where they confirm that Destiny is going to be the first title to support pre-loading:

Pre-Load Pre-Ordered Content

Beginning with Destiny, certain pre-ordered titles can be automatically be pre-loaded prior to their release. This lets you rest easy knowing that your game will be ready for play the second its release date hits.

Please Note:

Only titles designated as having pre-load functionality at the time of pre-order purchase can be pre-loaded.
Pre-loading does not grant early access to the game; it simply loads it several days prior to its release so you’re able to play it on its release date.
Automatic downloads must be enabled for your PS4 to pre-load your game: Go to [Settings] > [System] > [Automatic Downloads and Uploads]

Not sure how they can call it a feature if it doesnt work for nearly 6 months. True they said it was on a per game basis, but this is just stupid.

source

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #16050 of 18684 Old 05-21-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

What Sony Giveth, Sony doesnt fully implementeh....
Not sure how they can call it a feature if it doesnt work for nearly 6 months. True they said it was on a per game basis, but this is just stupid.

source

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/destiny-becomes-ps4-s-first-game-to-support-preloading/1100-6419788/
Quote:
Destiny becomes PS4's first game to support preloading
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page