PlayStation 4 - Page 538 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16111 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Thanks for the impressions, Smigro. Sounds like some good stuff there, but it sounds like it might be too violent for my tastes. Trying to think of the most violent game I've played before for comparisons but I'm not sure... most recently maybe Dead Nation but that's pretty cartoony and not first person so not really a good comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16112 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"I know I'm gushing but this is Shooter of the Year right here fellas, I'd put money on it."

Excellent review! Thanks.... Have around 4 hours on it and am really liking it. I agree about the dialog being to low. Can they patch a console? Hope so because that's the only real fault of the game for me. Gorgeous graphics and I found the surround quiet effective.
post #16113 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Pulled the trigger so can try Wolfenstein over the weekend.
post #16114 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I actually had to turn on subtitles for everything as I had trouble understanding the dialog during some of the heated moments. I thought it was my center at first but have read about it. If I recall, RAGE had a similar issue with the audio (and pretty crummy gun sounds).

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #16115 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

Pulled the trigger so can try Wolfenstein over the weekend.

I knew you would cave.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #16116 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

To Wolfenstein or not to Wolfenstein, that's the question smile.gif. I admit it looks pretty good and is very tempting.

I know right. I just have an issue paying $60 for game that is SP only...I will probably wait for a sale like I am doing with inFamous.
post #16117 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

Here is a write up my buddy did on our forum yesterday.

I'm probably 7-8 hours in at this point, and it says I'm at 40%. I will play through this again for sure because sometimes you just have to power through sections to stay alive and as a result it feels like I missed out on some treasure hunting. Most levels have plenty of room to explore away from where the objectives lead you, and there is loot everywhere. Graphics are solid, amazing in some parts, serviceable in others.

Even though there is some humor, this game is no joke. The villains are some of the most brutal, depraved people I've ever seen in any form of entertainment, and there are some of the darkest depictions of human suffering and violence you'll probably ever see. I've also been properly startled a few times by **** jumping out and that never happens to me. EVIL ****..

The audio and atmosphere includes sounds like War of the World's big industrial noises that make you feel small and keeps tension high and is perfect for this game. With that said the audio mix is pretty weak, the dialogue gets lost in some of the action, and sounds transitioning between speakers do so too abruptly at times and it breaks the illusion. The dialogue being hard to hear at times is mostly irritating because generally its pretty good dialogue and you want to hear what everyone has to say because it's entertaining and makes the story. There will be **** completely hitting the fan and where you'd expect an appropriately loud level coming from people yelling in such situations, it's muted somewhat and takes away from the intensity a bit. I predict an audio fix at some point.

There have been several parts that were very difficult and took me multiple tries to get past. Sometimes it's just a couple standard enemies in a completely irrelevant section that give you the hardest time. You get one shot by shotguns sometimes. I made it a good distance on Uber difficulty but just couldn't keep it up as the game progressed. Load times are long-ish, so it makes failing a section more frustrating the more you fail, but you can dial back the difficulty at any point.

The AI is pretty stupid when you are in stealth mode, but otherwise they show no mercy and is some of the best I've seen in a shooter. They will flank you and nade spam you and lay prone behind **** and peek and lean out in odd places and push you out of hiding so they can slaughter you and mock your death. If you cower behind **** they will rush up on you and you will die like a bitch. I'm stuck pretty badly right now actually, and have no idea how I'm going to get through the next section. You might try a section 5-6 times and the enemies might do something different every time. Some enemies you might not have the firepower or ammo to deal with so you have to use the environment to get it done. Or you just run..

What I'm impressed with the most is the variety of things you end up doing. There are vehicles. There are puzzles. There is some platforming. You're underwater. You're in outer space. You're jumping between train cars draped across a destroyed bridge. It's like a mix of Bioshock, Max Payne, Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell and The Darkness. Some of the set piece stuff reminds me of the best of CoD. The Darkness was a really dark and ****ed up game with the main character sub-consciously talking to himself all the time and it was ultra-violent. Some of its developers worked on this game, and you can see it's influence for sure. As a result, BJ says some strange things to himself, and his ****ed up perspective adds to the general madness of it all. I'm swimming for my life 100ft underwater in a sewer system and he says to himself something like "When I was a kid I fell in a well and almost drown, wasn't this deep though". What? And you instantly feel even more claustrophobic and ****ed. He'll randomly say some ****ed up **** that messes with you just enough when you're in a bad place. When you fall to your death, as it fades to black he says "What a stupid way to die". LOL. Love that ****..

Overall I love it. About 2 hours in and once BF4 muscle memory had subsided it clicked and I realized the gunfighting is actually ****ing superb. The lean mechanic is great and can be used anywhere, even to look under ****. The auto shotgun is godly and blows people apart in the most spectacular ways. Headshots are given proper attention. All that is missing from the weapons is some punch in the dialogue channel to properly match the destruction you are seeing. I'll reserve final judgment until I see how the story pulls together, but there is this little bug in my brain that keeps trying to tell me Jesus **** man this is easily among the best FPS you have ever played, but I keep fighting the idea that a game this ludicrous that is such a mash of influences could be this awesome, but it just is.

and today:

Finished my first playthrough and yeah, this is the best shooter I've played in ages. Dual-wielding auto shotguns or assault rifles and holding down the triggers trying to control the fury while barging down a crowded hallway unleashes carnage the likes of which I've never seen. The walls and floors are just covered with gore and you feel like you just got laid. This is has to be the pinnacle of video game violence and its just so brutally awesome.

The perk system is actually pretty clever and fun to work through. It's almost like assignments in BF4, but you get useful upgrades to your player and your weapons as you complete the different tasks during play. The upgrades are immediately noticeable. You can do side missions for characters you come across and unlock health and armor upgrades, or they give you some of the gold pieces you need.

I'm going back through and getting all the Enigma Codes and the other hidden items. If you stealth kill commanders they will reveal the locations of hidden items on the map, but it doesn't tell you how to get to them. I'm having more fun the second time through, probably because you get to keep your perks. How they hide things is sometimes very clever and involves some problem solving which is fun. This is where it reminds me of Tomb Raider. Once you get the Enigma Code pieces you have to crack all four codes and with each you unlock a new game mode. I don't know what you get from finding all the gold pieces or all the letters yet.

I never expected the stealth aspect to be so good. It's really, really fun to sneak through and clean out an entire base with nothing but silenced pistol and a knife. You can transition seamlessly to wanton violence and destruction whenever you feel like it. Whatever way you choose it's fun and it all just works..

I know I'm gushing but this is Shooter of the Year right here fellas, I'd put money on it..

Thanks for the write up. It sounds like a must buy game.
I'm not much for gore but I'm really looking forward to playing it.
I wonder how bad the dialog is. It should be a non issue, my systems really dialed in.

Anyone have a major breakdown that would make them reconsider the new DD direction we're heading in? How are our purchases backed up should a system fail?

-40c
post #16118 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post

Thanks for the write up. It sounds like a must buy game.
I'm not much for gore but I'm really looking forward to playing it.
I wonder how bad the dialog is. It should be a non issue, my systems really dialed in.

Anyone have a major breakdown that would make them reconsider the new DD direction we're heading in? How are our purchases backed up should a system fail?

The guy that wrote this up used to do HT installs I think he has like a 20K dedicated theater room that consists of a top notch PJ, 120" screen, Triad inwalls and a DIY sub box with 4-18" eD drivers...still had issues with dialog in certain areas. Just an FYI

As far as DD, still not buying into and the Target 3x trade in this week is one of the reasons. IMO they need to add a little more value to DD games...not having to get up to switch disc is not enough for me. I am lazy, but not that lazy.
post #16119 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
I'll wait till I hear they have patched the audio and pick it up.
post #16120 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I just bought a benchmark dac 2 and picked up an optical cable to try the digital out from the ps4. I have the psb m4u headphones that the benchmark will power for late night gaming. Should sound pretty sweet.

Psn: memnoch1010
Xbox live: meadoch
post #16121 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

The guy that wrote this up used to do HT installs I think he has like a 20K dedicated theater room that consists of a top notch PJ, 120" screen, Triad inwalls and a DIY sub box with 4-18" eD drivers...still had issues with dialog in certain areas. Just an FYI
my ht is worth twice that and I have some dialog issues with the game.
Smigro likes this.

Psn: memnoch1010
Xbox live: meadoch
post #16122 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

I knew you would cave.

I did too was just a matter of when. I go get it and come back to Smigros review which makes me really happy. Looking forward to blasting Nahtzees this weekend!
Smigro likes this.
post #16123 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As far as DD, still not buying into and the Target 3x trade in this week is one of the reasons. IMO they need to add a little more value to DD games...not having to get up to switch disc is not enough for me. I am lazy, but not that lazy.

It's all good I'm very satisfied with my system.

Curious, a patch for the audio would only effect the DD right?

-40c
post #16124 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

I did too was just a matter of when. I go get it and come back to Smigros review which makes me really happy. Looking forward to blasting Nahtzees this weekend!

To be fair, my buddy Abusive Red wrote that up...some of you guys may recognize his name from playing BF with us.
post #16125 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To be fair, my buddy Abusive Red wrote that up...some of you guys may recognize his name from playing BF with us.

Don't care who wrote (but tell Red thanks) it was perfect and got me psyched! I'm ready for some foul mouthed, blood soaked goodness and I'm looking forward to the game! smile.gif
post #16126 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wasn't saying it like that. All I was stating is that he was not judging based off of cheap TV speakers or a head set. biggrin.gif
Nayan, d_m1010 and brwsaw like this.
post #16127 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 209
For those who are bored:

http://www.twitch.tv/playstation

Sony is supposed to be showing off new gameplay of The Order 1886 at 1pm PST.

EDIT: Yup was The Order. Only about 5mins (wtf?)...graphics are jaw dropping. Transition between cut scene and gameplay is smooth. Saw some screen tearing, now sure if it was my end or theirs. The games aspect ratio is gonna require some getting used to, but was quality overall.

EDIT2: Youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1EWKYvlWus)
d_m1010 likes this.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #16128 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

For those who are bored:

http://www.twitch.tv/playstation

Sony is supposed to be showing off new gameplay of The Order 1886 at 1pm PST.

Nice.

Bose: "Buy Other Stereo Equiptment"
post #16129 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Thanks for the info on it.

Bose: "Buy Other Stereo Equiptment"
post #16130 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 05:07 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:

The patch would be effective for both the DD and the disc install.

XBL: octavarium1/PSN:octavarium1970
post #16131 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:

How are our purchases backed up should a system fail?

The actual installs are not backed up but, everything is tied to your PSN account. So, once you have a replacment system up and running, you would just sign into your account and then redownload your purchased items again. If you are a PS+ member then your saved game files should be in your cloud storage, or you could back them up to a USB drive occasionally.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #16132 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 259
The Order 1886 video looked pretty good. I'm still not a fan of the aspect ratio choice, and they need to take some cinematography classes because some of the framing is horrible but, other then that it is looking like an interesting game.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #16133 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

The Order 1886 video looked pretty good. I'm still not a fan of the aspect ratio choice, and they need to take some cinematography classes because some of the framing is horrible but, other then that it is looking like an interesting game.

eek.gif So the game is actually in the aspect ratio of the video? How often has this been done with a game?

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #16134 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

eek.gif So the game is actually in the aspect ratio of the video? How often has this been done with a game?

It's pretty rare. It's a sneaky way to reduce the resolution.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #16135 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Dragon's Dogma
Beyond Two Souls

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #16136 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 737
just watched the order, i wasn't very excited about the game until i saw that video, it is nice to see guns that actually have recoil and aren't lasers. Graphics-wise this game and division are the only games that really look next gen on ps4.. very impressive..
post #16137 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

The actual installs are not backed up but, everything is tied to your PSN account. So, once you have a replacment system up and running, you would just sign into your account and then redownload your purchased items again. If you are a PS+ member then your saved game files should be in your cloud storage, or you could back them up to a USB drive occasionally.

Has Sony ever had a major failure with their servers?

-40c
post #16138 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:

Not with their save back ups. *knock on wood*

I still keep usb backups of my 40+ hour saves that I would be ticked to lose. Mostly RPGs.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #16139 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

I find it tough to trust that they won't flick a switch one day and say "Oops sorry"
gus738 likes this.

-40c
post #16140 of 18654 Old 05-23-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
Quote:

Other than that time they were down for like a whole month? I don't think so. tongue.gif

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page