PlayStation 4 - Page 541 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #16201 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,410
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

So I have a PS4 that plays games and streams. Processes fast, but no 3D playback requires I use another device.
PS3 that plays games, streams, and plays 3D, but doesn't do Dolby HD in 3D. Processes slow and I need to go elsewhere for quality 3D playback
Panasonic blu-ray player that plays movies including Dolby HD in 3D. Processes slow, but is great for all movies.
Ouya for retro games (best ever).

I have no more HDMI slots on my receiver or room for other devices on my shelf (Ouya already shares a shelf with the PS4). I want a Wii U. As a 3D watcher, which device do I get rid of?

Gid rid of the Panny and get a Sony S6200. I have a 1.5 year old Panny. But only because it can output 3D in the checkerboard pattern. My other sets use a S5100 and S6200. Which have been much better than the Panny.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16202 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tfoltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 3,525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Gid rid of the Panny and get a Sony S6200. I have a 1.5 year old Panny. But only because it can output 3D in the checkerboard pattern. My other sets use a S5100 and S6200. Which have been much better than the Panny.

Replacing my 3d blu-ray player with another 3d blu-ray player won't give me the hdmi slot or shelf space I need for a Wii U. It seems my best bet is to get rid of the blu-ray player and deal with lossy audio on some 3D movies. Pretty lame. This is why I wish the PS4 played 3D, or if the PS3 played lossless Dolby HD in 3D.

PSN: PrankT


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tfoltz is offline  
post #16203 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,511
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 1391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

League and Dota2 are free to play. Their sales numbers mean nothing other than accounts downloaded. No doubt they make money, but PC gaming is not the number one source of income for big publishers.

Those sales are measured in dollars, not number of accounts. And if you want to bring publishers into this, it's debatable which side of activison/blizzard makes more money. No one really knows how much valve is pulling in cause they're a privately held company, but I bet it's a disgusting amount of money. You can keep reframing the question all you want, but dismissing PC gaming as some tiny little niche no one cares about is absurd. It's huge and growing.
pcweber111 likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #16204 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
benjamin-benjami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: edmond, ok
Posts: 4,183
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

So I have a
-PS4 that plays games and streams. Processes fast, but no 3D playback requires I use another device.
-PS3 that plays games, streams, and plays 3D, but doesn't do Dolby HD in 3D. Processes slow and I need to go elsewhere for quality 3D playback
-Panasonic blu-ray player that plays movies including Dolby HD in 3D. Processes slow, but is great for all movies.
-Ouya for retro games (best ever).

I have no more HDMI slots on my receiver or room for other devices on my shelf (Ouya already shares a shelf with the PS4). I want a Wii U. As a 3D watcher, which device do I get rid of?

obviously you buy another big TV!!! smile.gif
benjamin-benjami is online now  
post #16205 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Senior Member
 
AncientAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

Replacing my 3d blu-ray player with another 3d blu-ray player won't give me the hdmi slot or shelf space I need for a Wii U. It seems my best bet is to get rid of the blu-ray player and deal with lossy audio on some 3D movies. Pretty lame. This is why I wish the PS4 played 3D, or if the PS3 played lossless Dolby HD in 3D.

Do you have cable/sat box currently using an HDMI Slot? If so, take it out and use Digital Coax or Optical. You're not getting any sound beyond DD anyway. If not, ????
AncientAlien is online now  
post #16206 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tfoltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 3,525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post

Do you have cable/sat box currently using an HDMI Slot? If so, take it out and use Digital Coax or Optical. You're not getting any sound beyond DD anyway. If not, ????
No cable box/device.

PSN: PrankT


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tfoltz is offline  
post #16207 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
d_m1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Exposure Canada
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

eek.gif Kitchen system?
yes sir.
d_m1010 is offline  
post #16208 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Senior Member
 
AncientAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Does anyone know if the PS4 outputs 4:4:4 during Blu-Ray Playback? My standalone player was displaying artifacts on text but the PS4 wasn't. I switched the Panasonic Blu-Ray Player from 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 and no more artifacts on text.
AncientAlien is online now  
post #16209 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rolltide1017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 2,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

So I have a
-PS4 that plays games and streams. Processes fast, but no 3D playback requires I use another device.
-PS3 that plays games, streams, and plays 3D, but doesn't do Dolby HD in 3D. Processes slow and I need to go elsewhere for quality 3D playback
-Panasonic blu-ray player that plays movies including Dolby HD in 3D. Processes slow, but is great for all movies.
-Ouya for retro games (best ever).

I have no more HDMI slots on my receiver or room for other devices on my shelf (Ouya already shares a shelf with the PS4). I want a Wii U. As a 3D watcher, which device do I get rid of?

When I ran out of HDMI inputs I chose to get an HDMI switch instead of getting rid of a device. It wasn't the ideals solution because of the extra wires and clutter it add (and I suck at cable management) but it worked just fine. Monoprice has some pretty cheap ones, I bought mine at Best Buy. It was $70 but I had some reward dollars. It came with a remote so I was able to program it to work with my Harmony remote. Overall it worked pretty good, only a few handshake issues that would clear up after power cycling a device.

We've since gotten rid of DirecTV so I'm not using the switch right now but, it was a good solution to the lack of inputs problem. Will probably need it again in the future as we are considering adding a FireTV.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
rolltide1017 is offline  
post #16210 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
scubasteve2365's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

It's not a rumor. It was announced by MS themselves at the BUILD conference. The Xbox is the last of their platforms to merge apps with the rest, but it's on their stated agenda in no uncertain terms. IIRC they said later this year visual studio will get an update to support compiling for Xbox/TV. They also spoke about better supporting the TV form factor on PC, presumably running the apps in "Xbox mode", with a UI geared towards controller/remote or kinect.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/4/2/5574596/microsoft-universal-apps-run-across-windows-tablets-phones-pcs

Nothing about that even applies that it's going to be open though. Apple has done the same thing to help unify phone/tablet/macOS but it's still a closed system. Any app that wishes to be on Xbox is likely going to have to be approved by MS. That will limit such media player apps that are "open" circumventing BDA Cinavia/DRM requirements from Bluray licensing. That's why none off the quality dedicated streamers support full Bluray ISO/BDMV anymore.

Not that unified development is a bad thing. It'll help for the skype, netflix, and other approved apps but we aren't going to see Xbox opened up to developers truly. Otherwise we'd end up with Nintendo 64 emulators and ********** applications. I don't see that coming to an Xbox near you this summer, anytime soon, or anytime ever.

"The Scuba Tank" thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
scubasteve2365 is offline  
post #16211 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
That kind of openness is why Sony dropped other OS, it invites the wrong types to play with what they can do.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #16212 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Mud76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

So I have a
-PS4 that plays games and streams. Processes fast, but no 3D playback requires I use another device.
-PS3 that plays games, streams, and plays 3D, but doesn't do Dolby HD in 3D. Processes slow and I need to go elsewhere for quality 3D playback
-Panasonic blu-ray player that plays movies including Dolby HD in 3D. Processes slow, but is great for all movies.
-Ouya for retro games (best ever).

I have no more HDMI slots on my receiver or room for other devices on my shelf (Ouya already shares a shelf with the PS4). I want a Wii U. As a 3D watcher, which device do I get rid of?

Ditch the PS3 and the Panasonic BD player for a HTPC.

I'm trying to build a HTPC at the moment to replace my PS3, but it's far from easy to get everything working just right. (particularly a dual DTV tuner with XBMC)

As everyone is saying, it would be far easier for the PS4 to just do what the PS3 did (even if some of you don't care about it, and don't use these features, there are many of us who do)
steve1022 likes this.

PSN Brown-Corolla
Mud76 is offline  
post #16213 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tfoltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 3,525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud76 View Post

Ditch the PS3 and the Panasonic BD player for a HTPC.

I'm trying to build a HTPC at the moment to replace my PS3, but it's far from easy to get everything working just right. (particularly a dual DTV tuner with XBMC)

As everyone is saying, it would be far easier for the PS4 to just do what the PS3 did (even if some of you don't care about it, and don't use these features, there are many of us who do)

HTPC is intriguing, but not in my future for now. Also, there are quite a few posters who don't mind that the PS4 is missing features found on the PS3, and their recommendation is to buy other devices to fill in the blanks.

I did buy a Wii U today ($180 with groupon), and can't wait to play some of those games. Oddly, my favorite PS4 game is Rayman Legends, which is also on Wii U. The unpopular Nintendo console offering has successfully wooed me.

PSN: PrankT


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tfoltz is offline  
post #16214 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 03:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Mud76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

HTPC is intriguing, but not in my future for now. Also, there are quite a few posters who don't mind that the PS4 is missing features found on the PS3, and their recommendation is to buy other devices to fill in the blanks.

Yes and for some this is fine,
But for me using a projector, my PS3 did EVERYTHING I needed (GAMES, BD, DVD, CD, MP3, AVI, MP4, DLNA, DTV, PVR) with one HDMI cable and one setting.
Now MY PS4 does GAMES and BD, so either I run with both or find an alternative for the PS3 (as I want to move this on to the kids)
I'm with you, this stuff needs to be added to PS4 ASAP.


Imagine the uproar if the iPhone 6 were to come out with no music or video support or apps.
Would people be saying "its a phone, I only need it to make calls. I have other devices for the other stuff"

PSN Brown-Corolla
Mud76 is offline  
post #16215 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,410
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post

Does anyone know if the PS4 outputs 4:4:4 during Blu-Ray Playback? My standalone player was displaying artifacts on text but the PS4 wasn't. I switched the Panasonic Blu-Ray Player from 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 and no more artifacts on text.

My PS4 outputs 444 during BD playback.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #16216 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

I concur 100%. I don't care about anything on the ps4 other than games.

I care more about quality than convenience as well, especially when it come to music files. I don't want mp3s but 24/96 and above. I mean check out my kitchen system, it's not convenient at all, but meant to sound good:


JM Lab speakers?
freemeat is online now  
post #16217 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 05:15 PM
Senior Member
 
AncientAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

My PS4 outputs 444 during BD playback.

I figured. Does 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 exhibit the same PQ? I couldn't tell a difference other than text was more sharp/smooth.
AncientAlien is online now  
post #16218 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,511
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 1391
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

Nothing about that even applies that it's going to be open though. Apple has done the same thing to help unify phone/tablet/macOS but it's still a closed system. Any app that wishes to be on Xbox is likely going to have to be approved by MS. That will limit such media player apps that are "open" circumventing BDA Cinavia/DRM requirements from Bluray licensing. That's why none off the quality dedicated streamers support full Bluray ISO/BDMV anymore.

Not that unified development is a bad thing. It'll help for the skype, netflix, and other approved apps but we aren't going to see Xbox opened up to developers truly. Otherwise we'd end up with Nintendo 64 emulators and ********** applications. I don't see that coming to an Xbox near you this summer, anytime soon, or anytime ever.

It's a matter of degree though. Maybe not so open as android or traditional windows...but you can get a lot of functionality within the confines of a controlled App Store. Windows 8 already has VLC and plex for instance...so there's your wide media support and DLNA. Maybe blu-ray rips are off the table, but you can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Think about how huge the difference is here though.To bring something like VLC to Xbox, they download the free (and excellent) visual studio, take a little time to tune the tablet UI for TVs, send it off to the windows store and wait for approval. Anyone can start coding their Xbox app right now in windows. How do you even begin to develop for the PS4? It's night and day.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #16219 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
d_m1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Exposure Canada
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

JM Lab speakers?
Good guess but they are some new PSB speakers I just picked up.
freemeat likes this.
d_m1010 is offline  
post #16220 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Epyon415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud76 View Post

Yes and for some this is fine,
But for me using a projector, my PS3 did EVERYTHING I needed (GAMES, BD, DVD, CD, MP3, AVI, MP4, DLNA, DTV, PVR) with one HDMI cable and one setting.
Now MY PS4 does GAMES and BD, so either I run with both or find an alternative for the PS3 (as I want to move this on to the kids)
I'm with you, this stuff needs to be added to PS4 ASAP.


Imagine the uproar if the iPhone 6 were to come out with no music or video support or apps.
Would people be saying "its a phone, I only need it to make calls. I have other devices for the other stuff"

Difference here is the PS4 was built to Play games...phones nowadays are built to run apps, browse facebook/twitter/instagram etc...phone calls are a secondary feature. If any device launched without the ability to make calls, I doubt the amount of people in an uproar would be that huge.

Had the PS4 launched ONLY being able to do media features, would there be as big of an uproar over the lack of game play?

PS3 didn't get the bulk of it's media features until 2008/2009 (? iirc)...it's been roughly 7 months since release, is it really that life crushing to wait until Nov before bringing out the pitchforks and torches? [This not directly at you Mud76, directed at everyone]
d_m1010 likes this.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @gundumgaming

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Epyon415 is online now  
post #16221 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 06:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Mud76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

Difference here is the PS4 was built to Play games...phones nowadays are built to run apps, browse facebook/twitter/instagram etc..
This is my point entirely, the PlayStation had evolved to be so much more than just a games machine, just like phones are now so much more than a telephone.

Quote:
Had the PS4 launched ONLY being able to do media features, would there be as big of an uproar over the lack of game play?
that's like a phone that doesn't make calls, that's just being silly


Quote:
PS3 didn't get the bulk of it's media features until 2008/2009 (? iirc)...it's been roughly 7 months since release, is it really that life crushing to wait until Nov before bringing out the pitchforks and torches?
imagine your new smart phone with no apps for 6 or 7 months, but you still have your old one you can use for apps etc (no calls though)


Quote:
[This not directly at you Mud76, directed at everyone]
no probs, your polite subjective conversation is appreciated.

PSN Brown-Corolla
Mud76 is offline  
post #16222 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
gamermwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OK, USA
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud76 View Post

This is my point entirely, the PlayStation had evolved to be so much more than just a games machine, just like phones are now so much more than a telephone.

that's like a phone that doesn't make calls, that's just being silly
imagine your new smart phone with no apps for 6 or 7 months, but you still have your old one you can use for apps etc (no calls though)
no probs, your polite subjective conversation is appreciated.

I agree with Mud, it should have 3D support and other features by now. All this does is show how half baked the consoles were when they were rushed to release and how long it's taking them to play catch up

gamermwm is offline  
post #16223 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
samendolaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Malbar, FL
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Stick it to the Man AND Resogun are going to be removed from PS+ in June. I suspect we will be getting Driveclub to replace resogun + an additional Indy title

EDIT: Driveclub isn't until October so it will likely be two other games

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/05/26/playstation-plus-limbo-free-for-members/
Quote:
Last Chance (Leaving on 6/3)

Instant Game Collection
Stick It To the Man
RESOGUN
Pro Evolution Soccer 2014
Little Big Planet Karting
Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception Single Player Mode

Discounts
Mind Zero
The LEGO Movie Videogame
samendolaro is offline  
post #16224 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
brwsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

...it's been roughly 7 months since release, is it really that life crushing to wait until Nov before bringing out the pitchforks and torches? [This not directly at you Mud76, directed at everyone]

I'd be happy to have Sony's official confirmation 3D BD support is on its way.

I think I can, I think I can
brwsaw is offline  
post #16225 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
brwsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 75
"It only plays games"

New slogan
pcweber111 and gamermwm like this.

I think I can, I think I can
brwsaw is offline  
post #16226 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,511
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 1391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud76 View Post

This is my point entirely, the PlayStation had evolved to be so much more than just a games machine, just like phones are now so much more than a telephone.

that's like a phone that doesn't make calls, that's just being silly
imagine your new smart phone with no apps for 6 or 7 months, but you still have your old one you can use for apps etc (no calls though)
no probs, your polite subjective conversation is appreciated.

Yeah that's the thing...what I expect from a console has changed. I expect it to handle media just as well as games. Just like I expect my phone to have a solid web browser and good GPS. I dunno if a box that "just plays games" deserves a place in my rack anymore, especially when it's predecessor did it so much better. Times have changed.
Mud76 likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #16227 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
samendolaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Malbar, FL
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
samendolaro is offline  
post #16228 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,410
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud76 View Post

...................
imagine your new smart phone with no apps for 6 or 7 months, but you still have your old one you can use for apps etc (no calls though)
............

That would suck. But my phone is all I carry with me outside of the home. In the home, I have dozens of other devices that can deal with playing discs or streaming content better than any of the game consoles can.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #16229 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,410
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:

I couldn't even take a sip of my water I was laughing so hard. biggrin.gif

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #16230 of 18067 Old 05-26-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tfoltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 3,525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

That would suck. But my phone is all I carry with me outside of the home. In the home, I have dozens of other devices that can deal with playing discs or streaming content better than any of the game consoles can.

If they removed those features from the phone you would be using dozens of devices/objects like we did a decade ago (pager, answering machine, alarm clock, calendar, camera, etc.), which would be inconvenient. Advances in technology has made this unacceptable. Yet, somehow we are ok with dozens of devices in home entertainment? They can do better, but we are enabling them to REMOVE features. Blasphemy in this day and age. They are doing it so we end up buying Sony 3D players, not because they are focusing on games (which hasn't been great yet either). It all boils down to money.

I'm acting like a scrooge out of love. I want better for all of us.

PSN: PrankT


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tfoltz is offline  
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off