PlayStation 4 - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 714
I still think no lower than $399.99. If they actually have a SKU for only $299.99 I would think it would fly off the shelves. I know I will try to get a launch PS4 if they have them at a price that low.

But considering the WiiU is only $299.99, I would be totally shocked to see a launch PS4 sell anywhere close to that price.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Alright, final predictions people. Lay your chips on the table.

2 bundles

$299 for the entry level 500GB model with no extras other than a plus trial.
$399 for a model that includes the move camera and wand 6 months of plus and a 1TB HDD.

Killzone, Infamous, CoD, Battlefield all at launch. Shown with a possible launch window release, A 1080p version of The Last of Us from Naughty Dog. Final Fantasy from Square, a next gen Ratchet game. Deep Down shown in playable form and is a PS4 exclusive, ends up as a blend of Dogma and Souls. Epic games shows off Unreal Engine 4 running on actual hardware and shows a new IP for the next gen systems. Ubisoft shows Watchdogs again along with their other multiplatform games, all running on actual hardware. Demon Souls 2 is a multi gen title.

Sony will be agressive in stating that they have no invasive DRM and the system will not require online to function, Gamefly will work just like it currently does and you can borrow, and sell your games how you see fit. I expect several jabs at Microsoft and maybe even a nod to Nintendo for not being invasive either and for gamers to buy both over the Xbox1984 (yes, I expect a meme worthy joke from them over a always connected Kinect) Partnering up against DRM would make them heroes to many gamers.

Is that a prediction or a wish list? Lets hope so!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

But considering the WiiU is only $299.99, I would be totally shocked to see a launch PS4 sell anywhere close to that price.

It really only comes down to if they want to take a loss t sell more units faster or strike even / take a small profit. The Yen is a lot more favorable this time around, and to be honest the tech is super cheap compared to the last few Gens. If they do go no DRM, they should just take the loss and go $299 for the kill. Their biggest problem then would just be keeping up with demand.
post #1623 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Multiple sku is the norm, with the cheaper one being the loss leader and the more expensive one being closer to breaking even. (The Wii U basic sold at cost to retailers, the Deluxe made a profit, however, R&D plus other expenses averaged out to a loss in the end, plus stating they sold at a loss deflected a lote of hate at their pricing)

If Sony puts out only one sku, that will be quite the change, but I would welcome it. Maybe make it a build your own...

No HDD included but one is required, any 2.5" 7200RPM drive will work with an official Sony branded 500GB for the less tech savvy shoppers. Everything else is optional. Not likely but it would be an interesting shift.

*think of my previous post as a prediction that is also a wish list, almost everything on there has been heavily rumored to happen except for the Ratchet title

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #1624 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Has Sony said they were going to have 2 options? I keep seeing analyst predicting that both MS an Sony will, only have one version at launch to help cut cost.

So, I'll predict one model at $349. Includes the move camera and a wand, 3 months of plus and a 500GB HDD.

They would be crazy not to have a premium version for more money and less value. I am not sure that it is that much more expensive to have 2 packaging lines and could offset it with the higher priced version. There is also a lot of psychology bound up in having high and low end. It appeals to cheapskates and elitists all in one move. This approach has only grown in the industry with multiple Special Edition releases of games with plastic trinkets from China and initial DLC included.
post #1625 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
I'm hoping for 1 SKU only, just like the Sony consoles (PS1, PS2) that did better at launch than PS3. More SKUs just adds confusion, like how 20GB PS3 had no wireless, didn't play SACD..etc

A Move bundle makes sense though, just hopefully the console itself will be the same. $399.99 sounds like a perfect price to me for a 1 TB PS4.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #1626 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

They would be crazy not to have a premium version for more money and less value. I am not sure that it is that much more expensive to have 2 packaging lines and could offset it with the higher priced version. There is also a lot of psychology bound up in having high and low end. It appeals to cheapskates and elitists all in one move. This approach has only grown in the industry with multiple Special Edition releases of games with plastic trinkets from China and initial DLC included.

It also backfired with the Wii U, the basic models collect dust and the Deluxe still sells fairly well, problem is guessing which the market will demand, Nintendo guessed wrong and flooded the market with basics and is now having to buy them back to make room for more deluxe models on shelves.

One SKU avoids this problem so long as it isn't gimped in any way. (Like the Wii U basic is)
metallicaband likes this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1627 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 02:52 PM

2 SKU's at launch never really made sense to me. People who need a console RIGHT NOW are looking to spend a premium and get the better SKU. Especially for something considered a luxury item.

Makes sense down the line, just as bundles do. But the first batch should be premium and premium only. You're really only leaving money on the table otherwise, especially if supplies are limited.
post #1628 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 02:57 PM

My wish list?

First look at PS4's Steam interface and interactive features.
First list of compatible games to be revealed at E3, with a HL3 teaser on Sonys stage.

One can dream, right? They could also just say we're dealing with digital DRM the same as valve going forward; discs stay the same.
post #1629 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I just thought of the perfect joke for Sony. Talk about no DRM is going on and playing used games, a red eye appears on screen and says " I can't let you do that" Whoever is on stage then says, Xbox, Go home, you're drunk.
jonnyozero3 and TeflonSoul like this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1630 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

My wish list?

First look at PS4's Steam interface and interactive features.

Yeah, whatever happened to Steam support on the PS3? Aside from Portal 2 co-op, nothing ever came of that.
post #1631 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I am still waiting for Left 4 Dead to hit a Sony system.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1632 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

Yeah, whatever happened to Steam support on the PS3? Aside from Portal 2 co-op, nothing ever came of that.

I haven't played Valve games on the console, but I think steam runs internally for those games? It would be very awesome if 3rd party networks could run more independently within PSN thou. It could also be why they said they leave DRM to the publishers. Steam, Origin and others would all compete but also set their own policies. Sony could just take a cut as a pass through provider. Which while DRM still sucks, having multiple competing places to buy games from would be good to keep prices in check and drive them down; which is what we really need on consoles (or any platform really). Basically something for everyone, unlike MS's policy.

Thats total speculation though.
post #1633 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

I'm hoping for 1 SKU only, just like the Sony consoles (PS1, PS2) that did better at launch than PS3. More SKUs just adds confusion, like how 20GB PS3 had no wireless, didn't play SACD..etc

A Move bundle makes sense though, just hopefully the console itself will be the same. $399.99 sounds like a perfect price to me for a 1 TB PS4.

I have a 20GB PS3 and it does play SACDs. Your point about stripped down versions remains valid. I think the PS3s biggest issue was too high a price for either model. People did not see the value.
post #1634 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

2 SKU's at launch never really made sense to me. People who need a console RIGHT NOW are looking to spend a premium and get the better SKU. Especially for something considered a luxury item.

Makes sense down the line, just as bundles do. But the first batch should be premium and premium only. You're really only leaving money on the table otherwise, especially if supplies are limited.

You are missing the psychology of buying the premium version. The base version helps sell the higher profit premium version just by sitting on the shelf. I agree that the product mix needs to be done well. I would also argue that the base Wii Us would have sold if the console had sold better over all. It may be a sales issue instead of a mix issue.
post #1635 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:

I just thought of the perfect joke for Sony. Talk about no DRM is going on and playing used games, a red eye appears on screen and says " I can't let you do that" Whoever is on stage then says, Xbox, Go home, you're drunk.

Got a better one:

KAZ comes out and announces he needs to get something out of the way right away. PS4 is getting DRM and this video will explain everything our consumers. Lights dim, video comes up:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Light come back up. Kaz smiles. Announces no change in their DRM policy, drops the mike.
post #1636 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
Quote:

I have a 20GB PS3 and it does play SACDs. Your point about stripped down versions remains valid. I think the PS3s biggest issue was too high a price for either model. People did not see the value.
See what I'm talking about, I had a launch PS3 and I'm confused about it myself lol ! Thanks for the correction, I guess it got removed with the later revisions along with PS2 BC then.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #1637 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
One thing Id really like to see is PS4 digital games sold through other retailers - kind of the way you can get steam and origin keys from amazon, gamefly, etc

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #1638 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

One thing Id really like to see is PS4 digital games sold through other retailers - kind of the way you can get steam and origin keys from amazon, gamefly, etc

Nintendo actually does this at a few retailers, and they have gotten discounts before. It can work very well for retailers. (They work just like eshop cards)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1639 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 03:55 PM

Random tweet:

#TRUTH #DONTSCREWTHISUP
post #1640 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My guess is $499 bundled with a Move.

The move is going to be included. No sense in making controllers have light bars if it was 100% optional.

Aka lets make 1 million controllers with light bars, even though only 20,000 move cameras were purchased.
post #1641 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:

But at the time the PS3 was released, even with a high price, it was a superb value because of the BD player. I got a launch BD player in June 2006 and it was $1k. And it sucked. I returned it within a few weeks and when the PS3 came out I picked that up for a little more than half the price of a stand alone BD player. And the PS3 did more than just play BDs. So even at the price it was selling at it was still a superb deal.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1642 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 04:28 PM

Liked: 11
The camera will be sold independent of the system.

PSN - Escobar
post #1643 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

But at the time the PS3 was released, even with a high price, it was a superb value because of the BD player. I got a launch BD player in June 2006 and it was $1k. And it sucked. I returned it within a few weeks and when the PS3 came out I picked that up for a little more than half the price of a stand alone BD player. And the PS3 did more than just play BDs. So even at the price it was selling at it was still a superb deal.

Yes it was an excellent value BD player, not only was it the fastest by far with load times and java(and still is one of the fastest, lets you skip some screens other BD players don't). It got all the updates, whereas most other first generation players had problems when newer titles came out. 3D, DTS-HD and TrueHD all got added to it. But if you used it purely for games it wasn't as cheap as it's competition
post #1644 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not for gamers. They did not care about any of those things. Reminds me of the Xbone...
post #1645 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

Not for gamers. They did not care about any of those things. Reminds me of the Xbone...

Hey remember you are on AVSforums, most of us here are into Home Theatre and are gamers
mboojigga likes this.
post #1646 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBuff View Post

Hey remember you are on AVSforums, most of us here are into Home Theatre and are gamers

I agree and it is not a bad thing. Most gamers are not on AVS and only care about games. Interestingly enough, the only reason I bought the PS3 was for the BD player. I had 2 cases of RROD on my 360 and ended up ditching it for the PS3 for several years because I had the PS3 for BD. I eventually bought another 360 and use it occasionally. Prior to that, I had never owned a Sony console and owned the XB1.
post #1647 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I agree and it is not a bad thing. Most gamers are not on AVS and only care about games. Interestingly enough, the only reason I bought the PS3 was for the BD player. I had 2 cases of RROD on my 360 and ended up ditching it for the PS3 for several years because I had the PS3 for BD. I eventually bought another 360 and use it occasionally. Prior to that, I had never owned a Sony console and owned the XB1.

I did the same thing and bought the PS3 for the BR player. Although, I've been full 360 this generation and only have picked up a couple of Sony exclusives. I'm on my 5th Xbox and first PS3. I'm hoping the PS4 will be a great launch.

Salminella has become legend (or something like that):
post #1648 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Alright, final predictions people. Lay your chips on the table.

2 bundles

$299 for the entry level 500GB model with no extras other than a plus trial.
$399 for a model that includes the move camera and wand 6 months of plus and a 1TB HDD.

Killzone, Infamous, CoD, Battlefield all at launch. Shown with a possible launch window release, A 1080p version of The Last of Us from Naughty Dog. Final Fantasy from Square, a next gen Ratchet game. Deep Down shown in playable form and is a PS4 exclusive, ends up as a blend of Dogma and Souls. Epic games shows off Unreal Engine 4 running on actual hardware and shows a new IP for the next gen systems. Ubisoft shows Watchdogs again along with their other multiplatform games, all running on actual hardware. Demon Souls 2 is a multi gen title.

Sony will be agressive in stating that they have no invasive DRM and the system will not require online to function, Gamefly will work just like it currently does and you can borrow, and sell your games how you see fit. I expect several jabs at Microsoft and maybe even a nod to Nintendo for not being invasive either and for gamers to buy both over the Xbox1984 (yes, I expect a meme worthy joke from them over a always connected Kinect) Partnering up against DRM would make them heroes to many gamers.

Insert take my money meme

Salminella has become legend (or something like that):
post #1649 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

tumblr_m7mykgaGm61rzsl82o1_500_zpscd3dc735.jpg

Wait, wrong board for this one... tongue.gif

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1650 of 18081 Old 06-08-2013, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLightning3 View Post

The camera will be sold independent of the system.

Whoa, an average of only two AVS posts per year. You don't say much my friend, but when you do it's to the point and I salute you for it. wink.gif

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page