AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 207
PlayStation 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The HGST Travelstar 7200rpm is supposed to run rather cool for a 7200rpm drive. I've read about good results with it in the PS4. The WD Black drive apparently runs a little hotter. I decided to go with HGST Travelstar one at 1TB. It was $68 from Amazon. I had prices switched earlier. The 750GB WD BLack was the one that was $66.

http://www.amazon.com/HGST-Travelsta...=IH6KA57UG335S

Let me know how that drive works out. I've been keeping an eye in it for a while now. It'd be great to put that in the PS4 and then put the 500GB in the PS3. Two upgrades for the price of one! I wouldn't have to delete games on my PS3 so often.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16832 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I put a 1TB drive in my PS4 and it's nice to have extra space but Sony needs to add external storage soon. You can only get so big with a laptop drive. I thought making the internal drive non-removable for the Xbox would be a bad idea but to be honest external storage is the way to go. Hope Sony takes notice and follows suit. It is nice though to see an additional 826GB remaining. Ready for this fall.
gus738 likes this.
post #16833 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
Also if you want to compare some load times between drives here is the gaf thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716288

Thanks!!

It sounds like I might just need to get an SSHD instead of an SSD. It sounds like an SSD with the PS4 might not see as big an improvement as it does with the XBOne.

I don't see why it would be any different.
All the reviews I read on the PS4 upgrades did not show much speed difference between the SSHD and the SSD. Not sure what they show for load times on the XBOne from SSDs, but in my use it was a huge difference. With the PS4, even using an SSD was not a huge difference from the stock drive. Apparently the PS4 was tuned well to use the platter 5400rpm drive that was included with it. Or at least that's what a couple of reviews I read mentioned.

I just know because of what I read, I will not get an SSD for my PS4. I will either get a 1TB SSHD 5400rpm or a 750GB 7200 rpm drive. It depends on what goes on sale. I might as well wait over the next couple of weeks to see if the drives go on sale. I know the 1TB Seagate SSHD was on sale for around $75 recently instead of the current $95. So I might just wait to get that one for my PS4. Plus it looks very easy and quick to replace the PS4 hard drive based on the two video I watched. So it's a process that shouldn't take very much time. What will take time is re-downloading all my content.
I would take most of what you read online about it with a grain of salt. I doubt the average guy posting their load times used rigorous testing methodology. The same reasons why the X1 is sped up by an SSD hold true for the PS4...there's no magical algorithm that can turn a platter drive into something competitive with an SSD. I'd also take the SSHD numbers with a grain of salt as well - they're not always repeatable, since you only get the speed gains on data that's already cached...which isn't going to help you the first time you load a level. So those performance figures you see people posting for their SSHDs won't be your real world experience the first time you play through a game.

I can tell you're willing to spend the money for the performance, so you might as well get the SSD, you'll see a similar boost like you did with the X1.
The information comes not from opinions but from actual speed tests. I believe members here did the same thing. For whatever reason going to an SSD in the PS4 did not perform better than an SSHD to make it worth the cost. The difference was very marginal. Aaron's research is correct. I guess that means that for PS4, the bottleneck is elsewhere. From what I recall the improvement from the OEM harddrive to SSHD wasn't as big as you'd expect either. It doesn't make sense to me either, but actual results suggest otherwise.

Yeah, I was one of those members that did a speed test, I'm sure the thread is still around.

The differences weren't huge, but they didn't seem huge on the Xbox one either from what I've read. If he says he can appreciate the difference on the Xbox, I'm sure he can appreciate it on the ps4.

The other thing is, the SSD/SSHD advantage will be more apparent as time goes on and peoples drives get fragmented and as games start to push the limits of the PS4. There's also lots of little things you can't really benchmark very well - if a game hits the HDD for a second to go into a menu over and over, that second might become a half second on a SSD/SSHD. It's little things like that which make it feel so much more responsive with solid state.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #16834 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post
I put a 1TB drive in my PS4 and it's nice to have extra space but Sony needs to add external storage soon. You can only get so big with a laptop drive. I thought making the internal drive non-removable for the Xbox would be a bad idea but to be honest external storage is the way to go. Hope Sony takes notice and follows suit. It is nice though to see an additional 826GB remaining. Ready for this fall.
I think both is the way to go. Replacing the internal with a 1.5 to 2TB will go along way and won't require anything external. If and then if you exceed the internal having the option to go external is a good thing. Personally, I'd never go external because I travel.

Also, over the years I've had a few USB harddrives fail, and it's never been the actual drive, but the cheap SATA to USB interface in the external drive. That alone is a reason for me to prefer internal over external, but I think both should be an option.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #16835 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Also, over the years I've had a few USB harddrives fail, and it's never been the actual drive, but the cheap SATA to USB interface in the external drive. That alone is a reason for me to prefer internal over external, but I think both should be an option.

For my One I went with a fast Samsung SSD with a "dumb" cable. Nothing to fail there really.

I did not replace my One drive for space... but for the speed. If I replace my PS4 drive it would be for the same reason. 500G is fine IMHO unless there is a SERIOUS increase in game size this generation.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #16836 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Today the 1TB samsung SSD is $410 at newegg. That's the cheapest it's ever been. I've been thinking about getting it for my PC, but I just can't justify that price. I need a new receiver and I don't want to eat into that budget.

I would test it in the PS4 before it went to the PC, though, if I chose to buy it.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #16837 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post
Quote:

For my One I went with a fast Samsung SSD with a "dumb" cable. Nothing to fail there really.
There is still the external interface that takes the SATA drive to USB. If your experience ends up like mine, this interface will fail long before the drive every will.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #16838 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post
I think both is the way to go. Replacing the internal with a 1.5 to 2TB will go along way and won't require anything external. If and then if you exceed the internal having the option to go external is a good thing. Personally, I'd never go external because I travel.

No doubt, both would be preferable. It'd be nice to have a nice 2TB internal and another 16 or 32TB external at some point. Never run out of space. That's why I hope Sony does external storage. My 1TB internal is a nice bump over the older 500GB but it would be nice to throw another 4TB or so.
post #16839 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
Today the 1TB samsung SSD is $410 at newegg. That's the cheapest it's ever been. I've been thinking about getting it for my PC, but I just can't justify that price. I need a new receiver and I don't want to eat into that budget.

I would test it in the PS4 before it went to the PC, though, if I chose to buy it.

Do you really need 1TB of SSD though? That's 100+ games. You can always just move over the games you're actually playing to the SSD, and keep the rest on a HDD.

post #16840 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I currently only have 2 old 128g drives. 1 for Win7, and 1 for Win8 which I never use anyway. I was planning on getting at least 500g drive to get these old ones out. Mine are not the fastest drives either, so I need upgrading. When you consider the cost per gig, the 1TB is pretty enticing.

I don't like moving stuff back and forth either.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #16841 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

PlayStation 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I currently only have 2 old 128g drives. 1 for Win7, and 1 for Win8 which I never use anyway. I was planning on getting at least 500g drive to get these old ones out. Mine are not the fastest drives either, so I need upgrading. When you consider the cost per gig, the 1TB is pretty enticing.

I don't like moving stuff back and forth either.

Yeah, these big drives are def starting to get affordable. I'm still not ready to go full in though....$400 is still too much money for me when I know that 80% of the stuff on it doesn't need to be on solid state. That's the price of a PS4 or a high end GPU. I do the steam mover thing, and I have trouble filling even my 384GB array with games I actually still play. I do look forward to not having to do that anymore though. Maybe when those nvme drives are 20c a GB, I'll go all in.

post #16842 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
I don't know how the MMO games work, but could Destiny be like 100GB or more?
Not for several years, based on my past experiences. Typically patches will be anywhere from 100MB-400MB. Expansions are usually where the big updates will be and those can be about 1-3GB. My WoW install was about 50GB when I quit after the 3rd expansion, so in theory Destiny would need several major updates to push the game upwards of 100GB, however I don't know exactly how much space the Alpha is taking atm.

re: drive swap, I hadn't thought of swapping in an SSD just to reduce the overall heat output. Anyone seen any reports on how the heat output changes with an SSD.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #16843 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
I don't know how the MMO games work, but could Destiny be like 100GB or more?

Not for several years, based on my past experiences. Typically patches will be anywhere from 100MB-400MB. Expansions are usually where the big updates will be and those can be about 1-3GB. My WoW install was about 50GB when I quit after the 3rd expansion, so in theory Destiny would need several major updates to push the game upwards of 100GB, however I don't know exactly how much space the Alpha is taking atm.

re: drive swap, I hadn't thought of swapping in an SSD just to reduce the overall heat output. Anyone seen any reports on how the heat output changes with an SSD.

Hard drives/SSDs contribute a negligible amount of heat, it's not even something that should enter into consideration.

post #16844 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Is it hard to swap all of the data (IE games, saves, videos) from the current drive to a larger one when doing the swap?
post #16845 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Just joined the club, got a PS4 off Craigslist about an hour ago! Waiting to go home from work and fire it up.
steve1022 and chmorgan like this.

PSN ID: javant86

post #16846 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
Is it hard to swap all of the data (IE games, saves, videos) from the current drive to a larger one when doing the swap?
With the PS3 you would first backup the system via the menus to an external drive. Install the new drive, power up and the system installs the base OS. Then you would plug in the ext. and restore your files/settings.

With the PS4, I personally do not know, but I think you would swap drives, initialize, then (if you have PS+) download your game saves from TEH CLOUDZ!! If you aren't on PS+ I think you'll need to backup the saves from the local drive to an ext. Should be found under System > Storage Management menu.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #16847 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
NPDs are coming out now, PS4 is once again #1 , but Xbox One isn't #2 , 3DS is. All we have numbers for are the Wii U at 60k. We should learn more as insiders drop hints and if anyone else does a press release. (This is the first month that Microsoft hasn't given us numbers ahead of time)
post #16848 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post
NPDs are coming out now, PS4 is once again #1 , but Xbox One isn't #2 , 3DS is. All we have numbers for are the Wii U at 60k. We should learn more as insiders drop hints and if anyone else does a press release. (This is the first month that Microsoft hasn't given us numbers ahead of time)
What recently released on 3DS?

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #16849 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

The other thing is, the SSD/SSHD advantage will be more apparent as time goes on and peoples drives get fragmented and as games start to push the limits of the PS4. .

So the ps4 doesn't have software built in to defrag ?

just wondering ...
post #16850 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post
I thought it was expected that the XBOne would have much lower numbers for May? Since they announced in early May that a $399 SKU was being released in June.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #16851 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Any word on how the WiiU did with the Mario Cart 8 bump or too early to tell?

Arguably, the WiiU is the best console investment for the next 3+ months considering the glaring absence of "hard core" next-gen games until the Fall.

Edit: the WiiU has been thoroughly enjoyed in my home since release date. Best/first way to get great family games in a next-gen format like Disney Infinity, Skylanders, Raymond + all the exclusives like Pikmin, Mario Land, Cart, 3D, Donkey Kong, etc. Good times.

Moral of the story (public service announcement)... don't buy a PS4 so your 10 year old can play a $hitty version of Battlefield.

Last edited by tampabuc; 06-16-2014 at 07:23 PM.
post #16852 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 207
But for those not interested in Mario Kart or Zelda like myself, that makes no financial sense. I enjoyed Mario Kart when I was younger, but just don't see the fun in it I once did. Never got into Zelda. Tried numerous times to play through Ocarina and just couldn't get into it.

For me, I just don't see the draw to those games anymore. Same with every fighting game. I loved Mortal Kombat when I was younger, but these days I need a story to get me interested in a game. Fighting games and racing games bore me to death.
post #16853 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by Big Brad 

I guess I'm in the minority. I personally don't care if the PS4 does all that stuff. I don't need it to. I got it solely for games. I do use Netflix on it from time to time, but I simply don't need it to play an MKV file. Especially when I have other devices that do it better.

But then again, I'm convinced that our society is confusing convenience with laziness these days. I care more about quality than convenience, so spending $6 on a VUDU movie rental is a no go when I can get the Bluray at Redbox for $1.50. God forbid I have to leave the house or interact with the outside world.

Damn, I'm 30 and starting to sound like an old man. Haha.

The other devices only do it better because Sony hasnt put in the work to make it good. I used to use a tomtom for my GPS, until my iphone got so good at it that I don't need it anymore. And just like the iphone and gps, the ps4 has good enough hardware to be as good if not better than any other media device. The less devices I need to use to get things done, the better.
Yes, except the PS4 was preceded by the PS3 - master of media playback, in my opinion.

Here is another AVS thread) where folks specifically talk about how the PS4 is an average playback device. Lots of limitations, bugs, etc. that all need to be ironed out -- sad because the console has been out for 7 months now and it can't even excel at the "basics."

Last edited by Comp625; 06-16-2014 at 07:40 PM.
post #16854 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Big Brad, I understand your perspective completely but if you have young to middle school age kids and family, the X1 & PS4 are a terrible option right now. Kids will try to fool some into thinking that they must have one is my main point (us old school gamers know better) There is pretty much nothing age or family appropriate for them to play. In the mean time, there is another, great and cheap option out there.

Last edited by tampabuc; 06-16-2014 at 07:47 PM.
post #16855 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
Hey Big Brad, I understand your perspective completely but if you have young to middle school age kids and family, the X1 & PS4 are a terrible option right now. Kids will fool us into thinking that they must have one is my main point (us old school gamers know better) There is pretty much nothing age or family appropriate for them to play. In the mean time, there is another, great and cheap option out there.
Skylander, Legos games, knack, flower are a few of the games that are good for kids in that range.

Minecraft hasn't hit ps4 yet but that is a other game in that realm.
post #16856 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

For those wanting to follow the NPDs now that hints are being dropped...

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=838895

Vita is alive again, the 2000 bundle with Borderlands mover 56,000 units.

Last edited by PENDRAG0ON; 06-16-2014 at 07:58 PM.
post #16857 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Totally agree with that as well, plus that's a great argument for staying last gen. - especially for families who don't play games together.

In my personal exp., next gen is nice, plenty invested there, but the old WiiU has been the best family exp. by far. Over the summer and the dry spell, I think this is important.

Last edited by tampabuc; 06-16-2014 at 08:03 PM.
post #16858 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Who keeps buying CoD Ghosts???!?! Doesn't everyone have 10 copies by now? **** just does not compute!
tampabuc likes this.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #16859 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 10:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
Who keeps buying CoD Ghosts???!?! Doesn't everyone have 10 copies by now? **** just does not compute!
I thought CoD is extremely popular. I know I buy it every year. But Ghosts is the first one in years that I have not played much of. (Well relatively speaking. I did play it alot last year)Especially since I bought a Season Pass and have barely done anything with the DLC. If I'm going spend the time playing that type of game right now I will use the time playing Titanfall.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #16860 of 18583 Old 06-16-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Post 2492 has the numbers.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p...#post116932355

PS4 ~ 194k
3DS ~ 87k
XB1 ~ 76k
Wii U ~ 60k 
360 ~ 57k
PSV ~ 56k
PS3 ~ 36k
Wii ~ 11k
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page