PlayStation 4 - Page 563 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16861 of 17337 Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 609
So nothing very surprising since the XBOne was expected to tank with the early announcement of a $399 neutered system?

Isn't May normally a slow month or are the Summer months slower? 194K for the PS4 seems very good. Especially when compared to everything else.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16862 of 17337 Old 06-16-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Numbers aren't 100% yet (based on a pie chart that gets refined as more hints are given) and have changed some since. The thread I linked to has plenty of comparisons to past launches and if the numbers are good or bad.
post #16863 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 237
I love how there is always a good reason for the XB1's lower sales; earlier in the year it was "just wait until Titanfall comes out", and it did and still didn't move the needle much. Now it's "wait until the $399 sku comes out". What will the reasons be next month if the numbers still aren't great and are well behind the PS4? I know, I know... it will be "just wait for Halo 5".

Next month's number will definitely be more interesting. I think the new sku will help but, will still fall well short for the PS4.
gus738 likes this.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #16864 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So nothing very surprising since the XBOne was expected to tank with the early announcement of a $399 neutered system?

Isn't May normally a slow month or are the Summer months slower? 194K for the PS4 seems very good. Especially when compared to everything else.

I don't think that $399 makes any difference at all right now. Now come the holiday that's where $$ may factor in .

Here are the HW sales so far ( the only # which may be shaky is the DEC PS4 ) But seeing the PS4 hold at 200k in may is pretty impressive

NOV DEC JAN FEB march April
may XBOX 909 908 145 258 311 115 77 PS4 1138 762 280 286 371 199 197
post #16865 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:

MS didn't announce the $399 kinect-less sku until May 13th. In early May people were still buying discounted kinect-included skus that came with Titanfall and/or Forza for $449. I know Amazon isn't the be-all indicator, but it may be doing worse in June than it did in May, at least in the first part of May prior to the announcement. If they sold 70k-ish consoles I'd like to think the bulk of that 70k came before the May 13th announcement, and if the console is selling less in June than it did in early May, per Amazon rankings, (which is I know is not absolute science) then June could be just as bad.

I think MS is making good decisions, but it seems like the hearts of gamers might be set for the generation. For several years last generation Sony made some really good decisions but they couldn't win over a bulk of the market. They probably could have given PS3s away for free and people would've chosen to play COD on 360 anyway. Its possible that is the situation MS is in now, in that no matter how great the decisions they make moving forward, the stage is set.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #16866 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
Its possible that is the situation MS is in now, in that no matter how great the decisions they make moving forward, the stage is set.

Now the only problem with that is , look at every "Good Decision" that MS has made... When you really look at it closely you can see that MS never conceded anything . Every reversal was only made after MS tried to do it their way against protest and failed . Even their $399 kinkiness bundle isn't really a concession since its still overpriced. It should have been a Kinect bundle for $399 and a Kinectless for $349
So I don't think they made any good decisions, they made the only ones open to them (albeit 6 months late) . I suspect we will see a price cut by November .

In the end the XB1 is less powerful then the PS4 and it needs to be priced accordingly. $299 is likely the price-point where the Kinectless XB1 would do very well.
gus738, icelt and freemeat like this.
post #16867 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post
NPDs are coming out now, PS4 is once again #1 , but Xbox One isn't #2 , 3DS is. All we have numbers for are the Wii U at 60k. We should learn more as insiders drop hints and if anyone else does a press release. (This is the first month that Microsoft hasn't given us numbers ahead of time)
I'm not sure why people still post portable hardware with consoles. It's not the same market. Yes ultimately they all compete for a finite amount of dollars available but if that's the case include tablets and phones since those are at this point pretty serious game machines. Nothing precludes a person from buying both a 3DS and a PS4 as they serve a different purpose.
post #16868 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post
I'm not sure why people still post portable hardware with consoles. It's not the same market. Yes ultimately they all compete for a finite amount of dollars available but if that's the case include tablets and phones since those are at this point pretty serious game machines. Nothing precludes a person from buying both a 3DS and a PS4 as they serve a different purpose.
The purpose of the NPD report is so the market (gaming dedicated) can be evaluated as whole industry, which would include the portable hardware. It's only us nerds that turn it into a competitive thing. Tablets/Smart phones rightfully belong in a different market analysis as they are first mobile telecommunication devices and secondary, tertiary or further down the list they are gaming devices.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #16869 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post
Now the only problem with that is , look at every "Good Decision" that MS has made... When you really look at it closely you can see that MS never conceded anything . Every reversal was only made after MS tried to do it their way against protest and failed . Even their $399 kinkiness bundle isn't really a concession since its still overpriced. It should have been a Kinect bundle for $399 and a Kinectless for $349
So I don't think they made any good decisions, they made the only ones open to them (albeit 6 months late) . I suspect we will see a price cut by November .

In the end the XB1 is less powerful then the PS4 and it needs to be priced accordingly. $299 is likely the price-point where the Kinectless XB1 would do very well.
Yup, everything they have done is simply based on how they've performed. All starting with the check in online once every 24 hour garbage and other policies which led to horrible pre-order numbers. Some actions simply aren't correctable in a sense to convince some games, like those who prefer the best gameplay and graphics over using Kinect (for $100 more with less performance)... unless they come out with a new more powerful sku which is highly unlikely any time soon.
post #16870 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
The purpose of the NPD report is so the market (gaming dedicated) can be evaluated as whole industry, which would include the portable hardware. It's only us nerds that turn it into a competitive thing. Tablets/Smart phones rightfully belong in a different market analysis as they are first mobile telecommunication devices and secondary, tertiary or further down the list they are gaming devices.
I understand the purpose of the NPD and I'm not arguing against how it reports but rather it's all about context with how people talk about it online. You're correct, only us nerds turn it into a competition. I'm voicing my opinion that I don't get the desire to compare sales of a handheld with a console which was what I was responding to. The PS4 outsold the Xbox and the 3DS outsold the Vita. Putting the numbers together is only interesting from a pure comparative standpoint but irrelevant to which console is doing better. The 3DS selling more than the Xbox is meaningless in the same way that the PS4 outsold the 3DS.
post #16871 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was thinking on trading my PS3(160GB) for a PS4 at Gamestop. I am not a BIG gamer, but I do use the PS3 for it's apps mainly. I really like the UI on the PS3, and the apps themselves(MLB.TV/Netflix/Amazon/Hulu Plus/TuneIn are my favorites) work really well on my PS3.

All of the apps seem to be available(minus TuneIn) on the PS4. Is there any difference in the Apps between the PS3 and PS4? Do they work Faster? Produce a better Picture(my ISP is 15Mbps download) than the PS3? Or is there really no discernible difference at all?

I know that the graphics on games will be better(especially later on). But I do not game enough to really care. i am currently playing GTA IV on my PS3, and have BioShock Infinite waiting. So you can see, i am far behind

And I am only really looking forward to Far Cry 4 coming in Nov 2014(I think).

So I am wondering is it worth the upgrade at this point. Are the apps just better.

Going from a ROKU 2 to a ROKU 3 is a HUGE DIFFERENCE to anyone out there with experience with both. The 3 is just so much faster with the built in better processor. I have tried both at the same time and the Roku 3 rules the roost righ t now.

Just wondering if the jump to the PS4 from the PS3 as far as apps go will be the same. I know the games will(should) look better, but the real advantage will be down the line when designers really get to tackle what the new gaming systems can do.
post #16872 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Just got a PS4 yesterday, the difference in speed is night and day vs PS3.
post #16873 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post
I was thinking on trading my PS3(160GB) for a PS4 at Gamestop. I am not a BIG gamer, but I do use the PS3 for it's apps mainly. I really like the UI on the PS3, and the apps themselves(MLB.TV/Netflix/Amazon/Hulu Plus/TuneIn are my favorites) work really well on my PS3.

All of the apps seem to be available(minus TuneIn) on the PS4. Is there any difference in the Apps between the PS3 and PS4? Do they work Faster? Produce a better Picture(my ISP is 15Mbps download) than the PS3? Or is there really no discernible difference at all?

I know that the graphics on games will be better(especially later on). But I do not game enough to really care. i am currently playing GTA IV on my PS3, and have BioShock Infinite waiting. So you can see, i am far behind

And I am only really looking forward to Far Cry 4 coming in Nov 2014(I think).

So I am wondering is it worth the upgrade at this point. Are the apps just better.

Going from a ROKU 2 to a ROKU 3 is a HUGE DIFFERENCE to anyone out there with experience with both. The 3 is just so much faster with the built in better processor. I have tried both at the same time and the Roku 3 rules the roost righ t now.

Just wondering if the jump to the PS4 from the PS3 as far as apps go will be the same. I know the games will(should) look better, but the real advantage will be down the line when designers really get to tackle what the new gaming systems can do.
If you don't play games much then hang onto your PS3. The PS4 doesn't do anything better than the PS3 except for games.

PSN brakel

post #16874 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post
Just got a PS4 yesterday, the difference in speed is night and day vs PS3.
Agreed. We don't even use the PS3 for streaming now because of the long delays. The PS4 runs a LOT faster than the PS3, the Wii U beats the PS3 handedly as well. If only we could use our harmony remote............
post #16875 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakel View Post
If you don't play games much then hang onto your PS3. The PS4 doesn't do anything better than the PS3 except for games.
I'd say the PS4 does most things better except for the games (especially processing speed, which is far better). However, it doesn't provide any new media/capability features that the PS3 doesn't already provide.

Last edited by tfoltz; 06-17-2014 at 10:42 AM.
post #16876 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanx for the quick responses. Seems like the PS4 is faster on apps. Just not "night and day" faster.

Oh, decisions, decisions...
post #16877 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanx for the quick responses. Seems like the PS4 is faster on apps. Just not "night and day" faster.

It is night and day, particularly in Amazon Prime. The wifi is far better on the PS4 as well.
post #16878 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

PS4 is Best-Selling Console For Five Months Straight in US

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/...straight-in-us

Quote:
By Luke KarmaliPlayStation 4 was the best-selling console in North America for the month of May, which marks the fifth consecutive month it's achieved the plaudit. Sony's new console also managed to move more titles than any other platform, in a month that saw sales of both consoles and games shoot up.
The NPD Group's video game sales report for the month reveals that console sales jumped up a massive 95 percent year-on-year to $586 million, with console software sales also climbing 57 percent to $274 million.

Titles singled out for praise on the games front include Watch Dogs and Mario Kart 8, with the latter being largely responsible for Wii U sales jumping up 85 percent despite only being on sale for two days of the month. Despite this, the Wii U was edged out by Nintendo's 3DS handheld, which took second place behind Sony's PS4 in terms of the best-selling hardware of the month.
Watch Dogs was the best-selling game overall in May with worldwide sales confirmed at over 4 million, with Mario Kart 8, MLB 14, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Minecraft, Spider-Man 2, NBA 2K14, Titanfall, Kirby: Triple Deluxe and Call of Duty: Ghosts rounding out the top 10.
It's a positive sign for the industry, and suggests next-gen consoles and games may finally have reached the point where sales are enough to offset the decline of older devices. Next month's results should reveal the impact of Microsoft's decision to sell Xbox One without Kinect. Will this enable the console to reclaim the top spot on the chart? Time will tell.
post #16879 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

I still pref the PS3 for apps/movies than PS4. Partly because I want the most gaming longevity out of the PS4. Thought the system and apps load a little bit slower, I feel the PS3 just does better media job than PS4 especially in proper bitstreaming for what I have encountered and prefer.

If the cost isn't going to be a HUGE factor, then I guess getting the PS4 wouldn't hurt, but maybe just hold onto the PS3.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #16880 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post
It is night and day, particularly in Amazon Prime. The wifi is far better on the PS4 as well.
+1
You can't find someone who will agree in saying the PS4 isn't significantly faster than the PS3.

What you will find is that for some the PS3 has more media features at this time and that's more important to them.
post #16881 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
I love how there is always a good reason for the XB1's lower sales; earlier in the year it was "just wait until Titanfall comes out", and it did and still didn't move the needle much. Now it's "wait until the $399 sku comes out". What will the reasons be next month if the numbers still aren't great and are well behind the PS4? I know, I know... it will be "just wait for Halo 5".

Next month's number will definitely be more interesting. I think the new sku will help but, will still fall well short for the PS4.
I would be shocked if it didn't fall short. $399 for an XBOne without Kinect is a worse deal. They should have priced it no higher than $349. And priced the Kinect version no higher than $449. But even then it would probably need to be $50 less than that to even have the potential to make a big difference. But maybe there is some pent up demand for a Kinectless XBOne. It doesn't make sense to me though when you could get Kinect and a game for $450 at one point.

Either way I expect the PS4 to stay on top. Things might be close, but 2015 Holiday is when things might be interesting.

LED DLP

post #16882 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I got a buddy that just traded in all his XB1 stuff, and got a PS4, with extra controller, and a few games.

His son was really into baseball and *really* wanted to play MLB 14: The Show, and my friend was disappointed in the XB1 overall. He said the Entertainment Center aspect was a non-issue. "I'm over that," was his comment. He said his Comcast controller worked just fine. He would have issues where the XB1 wouldn't connect right, or channel guides were messed up, etc. It was just another layer of crap to worry about. And he actually hated the camera aspect.

It was the first I'd personally heard an XB1 owner talking it down. After one day he said it's like night and day. He said PS4 looks way better and he's very happy with his switch.
freemeat likes this.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #16883 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

So I need to get ready for this 7200 rpm drive showing up this week for my PS4. Since I'm on PS+, do all my game saves get automatcially saved in the cloud? Or will I have to manually back something up before I install the new drive?

LED DLP

post #16884 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post
I got a buddy that just traded in all his XB1 stuff, and got a PS4, with extra controller, and a few games.

His son was really into baseball and *really* wanted to play MLB 14: The Show, and my friend was disappointed in the XB1 overall. He said the Entertainment Center aspect was a non-issue. "I'm over that," was his comment. He said his Comcast controller worked just fine. He would have issues where the XB1 wouldn't connect right, or channel guides were messed up, etc. It was just another layer of crap to worry about. And he actually hated the camera aspect.

It was the first I'd personally heard an XB1 owner talking it down. After one day he said it's like night and day. He said PS4 looks way better and he's very happy with his switch.

Though most of us figured it out before we made our purchases sometimes you have to do it yourself and go through the process to figure it out.
post #16885 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 168
Quote:
So I need to get ready for this 7200 rpm drive showing up this week for my PS4. Since I'm on PS+, do all my game saves get automatcially saved in the cloud? Or will I have to manually back something up before I install the new drive?
Just to be on the safe side, I'd backup your saves to a USB drive. There should be an option to in the "System Storage Management" menu.
aaronwt likes this.
post #16886 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
Hey Big Brad, I understand your perspective completely but if you have young to middle school age kids and family, the X1 & PS4 are a terrible option right now. Kids will try to fool some into thinking that they must have one is my main point (us old school gamers know better) There is pretty much nothing age or family appropriate for them to play. In the mean time, there is another, great and cheap option out there.
It's true the PS4 and XB1 are both suffering from "it's only seven months since launch" syndrome. Luckily we already have a PS3 which is absolutely chock full of great games and I am getting a ton of them free with PS+. In any case your pushing of Wii U here is getting a bit sad and I think you should look for somewhere more appropriate for your kool-aide.
freemeat likes this.
post #16887 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Also, keep in mind that the PS4 currently does not have a remote (and doesn't work with Harmony remotes). I kept the PS3 around alongside the PS4 for that reason alone.
gus738 likes this.
post #16888 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The announcement was May 13th, so it can theoretically explain ~60% of May's results (and ~30% of June's since the price drop didn't take effect until the 9th). That said, a lot of people have pointed out that the Titanfall bundle at $450 was a better deal with Kinect and the game for $50, so it's really murky how much of an impact the new Kinectless SKU is going to have.

[EDIT] I see I was a little late to the party here...

Last edited by Abaddon; 06-17-2014 at 02:56 PM.
post #16889 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakel View Post
False. Netflix is MUCH better on the PS4 than the PS3, if you are on a WiFi connection at least.

More accurate would be saying the PS4 does very little better than the PS3, seven months in. (If you compared to PS3 seven months in, the PS4 is leaps and bounds better).
post #16890 of 17337 Old 06-17-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
The announcement was May 13th, so it can theoretically explain ~60% of May's results (and ~30% of June's since the price drop didn't take effect until the 9th). That said, a lot of people have pointed out that the Titanfall bundle at $450 was a better deal with Kinect and the game for $50, so it's really murky how much of an impact the new Kinectless SKU is going to have.
It really puts MS in an interesting position. The $399 sku, while bringing the price down for many still leaves it at the same price point of significantly more powerful hardware in the PS4. At the same time it takes away its differienting factor Kinect, which is what MS was heavily pushing from day one.

Actually if you can't do voice commands at all on the Kinectless version, while you can with the PS4 it actually puts the differentiating factor in the other direction in PS4's favor as well.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page