PlayStation 4 - Page 571 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17101 of 18268 Old 07-12-2014, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 234
That's the problem. I really think that is about the time we will get solid information about their consumer plans. I've chatted with my friend at EA. And he claims that they are aggressively going after VR all sports IP. And they fully expect to have several ready for Holiday 2015. So reading the tea leaves...I believe Oculus and Sony can't keep their systems boxed longer than Spring 2015. My EA source also told me both systems are very close right now. And could actually launch limited runs for the holiday. That's why I think OR may beta test the consumer model late this year, Before rolling it out in 2015. Sony has made it pretty clear that they plan to follow OR's lead. But launch aggressive and fast once OR is out and they get a good read. I think both systems are delaying just to give game developers more time to push a lot of different concepts out late next year. I don't know if that convinces you to leap. But it does reflect how I and straddled on this one. I may still jump on the dev kit though in August...If I don't hear any new and promising news. I really am much closer than that hedging explanation suggests.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17102 of 18268 Old 07-13-2014, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post
Just got my PS4 today after trading in my PS3, plus accessories. Got a good price in the end at Gamestop. I had alot of TRADE IN MONEY already, and with an extra 50% added to the trade in of the PS3 for a PS4, I walked out of there with it at a good price.

Anyway,i got it home, hooked it up, downloaded latest update, and all is working well. All the apps I want to use ar working just fine. It is hardwired to a Belkin powerline adapter, and is streaming well.

I just purchased the 3-year extended ACCIDENTAL WARRANTY from the Playstation store. I figured why not.

Anyway, after I make the purchase, is there anything else I need to do? It just has that little bag it the avatar for the warranty that says PURCHASED. I do not have to send them anything, do I(receipt/etc...).

I have a PSN account. I activated this PS4 this afternoon, and I am "guessing" that when the transaction went down correctly. Do I have anything else to do, or is my PS4 now covered for 3 years?

Is there anywhere to go on the PS4 to prove I am covered until July 2017?

Also, after I made the purchase, I get this THUMBS UP with a next to it, and then a RATE box next to that. i know what RATE means, but what is that Thumbs up mean? I can put a CHECK MARK next to it, or REMOVE THE CHECK MARK. What is that?
Congrats on the new electric bill expense - to answer your questions. If you login to PSN store and go to the warranty you shouldn't be able to buy it again. Also Sony should have sent you an email (or will) letting you know the warranty is live and what number to call and your account # for reference.

The thumbs up means you like the item. It applies to games as well, you will see it often. Don't forget to get your PS+ membership and download all free titles, they expire at end of each month. You can logon to the web version of PSN, "purchase" and let them sit in your list of owned titles.
icelt and Nayan like this.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #17103 of 18268 Old 07-13-2014, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
That's the problem. I really think that is about the time we will get solid information about their consumer plans. I've chatted with my friend at EA. And he claims that they are aggressively going after VR all sports IP. And they fully expect to have several ready for Holiday 2015. So reading the tea leaves...I believe Oculus and Sony can't keep their systems boxed longer than Spring 2015. My EA source also told me both systems are very close right now. And could actually launch limited runs for the holiday. That's why I think OR may beta test the consumer model late this year, Before rolling it out in 2015. Sony has made it pretty clear that they plan to follow OR's lead. But launch aggressive and fast once OR is out and they get a good read. I think both systems are delaying just to give game developers more time to push a lot of different concepts out late next year. I don't know if that convinces you to leap. But it does reflect how I and straddled on this one. I may still jump on the dev kit though in August...If I don't hear any new and promising news. I really am much closer than that hedging explanation suggests.
As long as Facebook owns OR I will never use it. Call me a party pooper, but they cannot be trusted.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #17104 of 18268 Old 07-13-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

I did a little googling, and I'm gonna pass for now. There's nothing good to play on it yet.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #17105 of 18268 Old 07-13-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 462
I don't mind the new/old site. I use Tapatalk 99.9999% of the time and the current version of the site works quite well with it now. Still miss the actual AVS app though.

Now have Destiny paid off. I decided to stick with disc. Final Fantasy just has too strong a hold. I will do the main story and trade it I think. I'm sick of DLC in general which is usually short and costly for the most part. Plus the end of the year will be busy as hell and I don't want to get too bogged down.

I also put money down on the next COD & Evolve. I think the only other game I'm looking forward to is LBP3.
post #17106 of 18268 Old 07-13-2014, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
I don't mind the new/old site. I use Tapatalk 99.9999% of the time and the current version of the site works quite well with it now. Still miss the actual AVS app though.

Now have Destiny paid off. I decided to stick with disc. Final Fantasy just has too strong a hold. I will do the main story and trade it I think. I'm sick of DLC in general which is usually short and costly for the most part. Plus the end of the year will be busy as hell and I don't want to get too bogged down.

I also put money down on the next COD & Evolve. I think the only other game I'm looking forward to is LBP3.

Looking forward to the new COD. I just started testing my PS4 with my new setup, awesome!
post #17107 of 18268 Old 07-13-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
As long as Facebook owns OR I will never use it. Call me a party pooper, but they cannot be trusted.

I plan to buy both Sony Morpheus and Oculus Rift on Day One. I completely geared up my PC in 2013 in anticipation of VR. And I'm not turning back from it. Ditto with PS4. Morpheus is the only reason I will buy one. I don't have a FaceBook account. But I sympathize with your feelings. I despise Rupert Murdoch and everything he touches. I don't like or trust his alliance with Microsoft at all with Bing & NewsCorp. And I use it as little as possible. But I don't allow my disgust with a disgusting man...his company...and his product prevent me from using Windows and other MS products that I do like. Even though I haven't bought an Xbox One yet either. But that is not because of Bing and NewsCorp (directly). I would buy one if they made something I just had to play on it. VR offers a window into an exciting new gaming future with OR & Morpheus. As I see it...social media was going to find its way there anyway. Especially with Android, Apple and mobile in general. Whatever happens FaceBook wise on Oculus Rift & VR...you can book it...will happen on Sony Morpheus too. Never is a very long time.
post #17108 of 18268 Old 07-13-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
Congrats on the new electric bill expense - to answer your questions. If you login to PSN store and go to the warranty you shouldn't be able to buy it again. Also Sony should have sent you an email (or will) letting you know the warranty is live and what number to call and your account # for reference.

The thumbs up means you like the item. It applies to games as well, you will see it often. Don't forget to get your PS+ membership and download all free titles, they expire at end of each month. You can logon to the web version of PSN, "purchase" and let them sit in your list of owned titles.
Thanx for the info. I take it this PS4 uses more "juice" than a PS3? I turn mine off(just like I did with the PS3). I did not think I should leave it on standby. Or should I?

I use this PS4 MAINLY for the apps. I really liked my PS3 for apps/blu-ray/little gaming here and there.

I know the games will come. Along with more apps(YouTube soon with more to come). Plus, soon hopefully, a REAL REMOTE to work the PS4, just like the PS3. But I will just use my Samsung Remote for now.

Only game I will buy NEW, and really looking forward too is FAR CRY 4. Stoked about that one.
post #17109 of 18268 Old 07-13-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Yeah, FF14 has a very deep hold on me, even TLoU Remastered may not be able to pull me away... The free expansions are also great, makes DLC look less appealing even if I am paying a monthly fee.
post #17110 of 18268 Old 07-13-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

PlayStation 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

Yeah, I'm not sure where I wanna buy COD this year. If I buy it on PC I get much better graphics and can play it in every room, but I have to play MP with my DS4 against mousers, the pool of players is super small and it might be super buggy and unoptimized like ghosts. But on PS4, it's locked to PSN forever and I'm chained to one room. Sigh...I just wanna buy games once and not care about platform.

post #17111 of 18268 Old 07-13-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure where I wanna buy COD this year. If I buy it on PC I get much better graphics and can play it in every room, but I have to play MP with my DS4 against mousers, the pool of players is super small and it might be super buggy and unoptimized like ghosts. But on PS4, it's locked to PSN forever and I'm chained to one room. Sigh...I just wanna buy games once and not care about platform.
The solution is easy. Get some more PS4 consoles.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #17112 of 18268 Old 07-13-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The solution is easy. Get some more PS4 consoles.

Oh yeah, killer solution.

I can actually get the A/V signal up to my living room, but the controller is spotty. Apparently a DS4 has better range with a tiny little $5 Bluetooth dongle than a PS4. (Both are in the same rack in the basement.)

post #17113 of 18268 Old 07-13-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Saw this on the web. Not a bad idea to keep a little of the light still showing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405295334.244648.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	159705
ambesolman likes this.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #17114 of 18268 Old 07-14-2014, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I actually cover mine up with a piece of electrical tape. I don't even notice the light anymore. There is a faint crack of light on the outside to telling the color if I need to know it (charging, etc)
post #17115 of 18268 Old 07-14-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post
Thanx for the info. I take it this PS4 uses more "juice" than a PS3? I turn mine off(just like I did with the PS3). I did not think I should leave it on standby. Or should I?

I use this PS4 MAINLY for the apps. I really liked my PS3 for apps/blu-ray/little gaming here and there.

I know the games will come. Along with more apps(YouTube soon with more to come). Plus, soon hopefully, a REAL REMOTE to work the PS4, just like the PS3. But I will just use my Samsung Remote for now.

Only game I will buy NEW, and really looking forward too is FAR CRY 4. Stoked about that one.
You can turn it off if apps are your main use. Standby is great for game updates and firmware updates.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #17116 of 18268 Old 07-14-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

The PS4 only uses 8 to 9 watts while in standby. While on it can use 140 watts or so. I know when I have been playing Second Son recently it would always be using over 140 watts. And the console fan would spin up much faster.

I wouldn't mind buying Second Son(I'm playing a rental from www.3d-blurayrental.com/). But I would like to wait until it's on sale. Like for $40. And after using a rental disc(this is the first time I used a game disc with my PS4) I definitely want to stick with Digital Downloads for all my purchases.

LED DLP

post #17117 of 18268 Old 07-14-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 249
I'm putting this here because the reference is to a Sony ban of a user on Neogaf, but it would apply to Microsoft and Nintendo all the same. Hell to digital only non-media purchases in general (Amazon, iTunes, ect).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=853750

This guy was banned from PSN for violating their TOS, which in this particular case may or may not be BS, the reasons for his ban aren't really the point. The bigger point is that by being banned he not only lost the ability to play games online, but he cannot log-in into the servers in anyway. If his current PS3/PS4/Vita takes a dump he will not be able to log in to access his download list for games he has paid in full for. He is effectively locked out from purchases he's made.

I keep my digital purchases to a minimum. In the case of music and books thankfully it can all be reasonably backed up and in most cases doesn't have DRM (or the DRM is easy to remove). If iTunes or Amazon were to disable my account I don't think I'd lose a thing. PSN/XBL on the otherhand, there is no method of a "backup", you are wholly reliant in their servers authenticating and then permitting you access to goods you've purchased.

For those that are 100% digitally invested, you've already resigned your ability to lend, trade, resell, ect. Now consider that you yourself might lose your own access. I admit it's not something I really considered before see the gaf thread.

Also, don't use paypal on PSN. In the case linked above, the user believes that paypal initiated a charge-back with Sony on a purchase (maybe they thought it was suspicious) and charge backs must've been against Sony's terms of service. Not to defend Sony, it's ridiculous that they'd ban someone over it, but Paypal is notorious for how it is quick to chargeback.

For PSN it seems the safest route is just to buy Prepaid cards.
J_P_A and TeflonSoul like this.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #17118 of 18268 Old 07-14-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

I will continue to use Digital. Using a Disc sucks as I found out with the rental of Second Son on my PS4(and a rental of Wolfenstein on my XBOnes) It just isn't worth it to use discs. The odds of getting banned by accident, I would think would be pretty slim. And I already use the Gift cards to fund my PSN account. Since PSN was hacked years ago with credit card numbers, I no longer keep a credit card on file at PSN. I only use gift cards. I just wish the Wallet limit wasn't a paltry $150.

LED DLP

post #17119 of 18268 Old 07-14-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
I will continue to use Digital. Using a Disc sucks as I found out with the rental of Second Son on my PS4(and a rental of Wolfenstein on my XBOnes) It just isn't worth it to use discs. The odds of getting banned by accident, I would think would be pretty slim. And I already use the Gift cards to fund my PSN account. Since PSN was hacked years ago with credit card numbers, I no longer keep a credit card on file at PSN. I only use gift cards. I just wish the Wallet limit wasn't a paltry $150.

What about the rental sucked?

I had the full retail physical version of Infamous:SS that was great for me. It was nice that when I was done with the game I sold it for a solid amount of money as well. Had I bought the digital, like I did with Ground Zero's I have no outlet to get money back. So no recouping any of the cost of making the mistake of buying that demo.

Last edited by freemeat; 07-14-2014 at 11:30 AM.
post #17120 of 18268 Old 07-14-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
What about the rental sucked?

I had the full retail physical version of Infamous:SS that was great for me. It was nice that when I was done with the game I sold it for a solid amount of money as well. Had I bought the digital, like I did with Ground Zero's I have no outlet to get money back. So no recouping any of the cost of making the mistake of buying that demo.
Well for one the disc player makes a bunch of noise with a game disc or movie disc in it. Much louder than the XBOne(but I also have no desire to use games discs with my XBOnes either). It's been the same loudness on the several PS4 consoles I've seen. Then if I have multiple games on disc, I can't qucikly switch between them. It would be a pain to have to constantly swap discs all the time.

In the past I rarely ever traded a game disc in. I only did it last year when trading in my PS3 and a couple of 360's. I wish now that I had traded in 100% of my game discs instead of 66%,(I did keep one 360). I will never touch the discs again, but the trade in amount is minimal. But it is better to get something for them than nothing. Now I'll proably just throw them away at some point. Since it's not worth the effort for the few dollars I would get for them.

At the time it was worth it to trade the games in since I had a coupon for 50% more credit and I was already going through the effort to trade in the consoles(but still a PITA process). So with the games and PS3 and 360's I got several hundred dollars trade in credit. More than enough to cover an XBOne or PS4.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-14-2014 at 11:50 AM.
post #17121 of 18268 Old 07-14-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well for one the disc player makes a bunch of noise with a game disc or movie disc in it. Much louder than the XBOne(but I also hav eno desire to use games discs with my XBOnes either). It's been the same loudness on the several PS4 consoles I've seen. Then if I have multiple games on disc, I can't qucikly switch between them. It would be a pain to have to constantly swap discs all the time.

In the past I rarely ever traded a game disc in. I only did it last year when trading in my PS3 and a couple of 360's. I wish now that I had traded in 100% of my game discs instead of 66%,(I did keep one 360). I will never touch the discs again, but the trade in amount is minimal. But it is better to get something for them than nothing. Now I'll proably just throw them away at some point. Since it's not worth the effort for the few dollars I would get for them.
I don't remember if mine was loud while playing or not after it initially installs. Maybe I have just gotten used to it, plus it is behind glass.

I received I think $35 or so, for me that is well worth it. I received $44 for Killzone and close to that for Knack and BF4. For me that makes the difference of being able to buy more down the line.

Swapping discs is still quick for me. I get up and remove a disc and put another game in. Takes maybe 10 seconds or so. Maybe not quick enough for you.
post #17122 of 18268 Old 07-14-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Definitely not quick enough.
icelt and freemeat like this.

LED DLP

post #17123 of 18268 Old 07-14-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Definitely not quick enough.
You would get along with my kids quite well. I let them borrow the iPad for 10-15 minutes and I find several games have been played.

Just noticed this emoticon LOL
post #17124 of 18268 Old 07-14-2014, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Gonna be a busy 2014.

I'm having fun with Dead Space 3 now but will be on the Destiny Beta on the 17th-27th. That gives me 1 day breather before The Last of Us hits on the 29th.

After that, August looks pretty busy too with Diablo III on august 19th and the Infamous DLC on August 26th.

September would be a dry spell (for me), except for Destiny on 9/9/14.

Then October has too much to offer! Alien Isolation, Drive club (knock on wood), Middle Earth:Shadow of Mordor, Evolve, Evil Within and Assassin's Creed Unity. Battlefield hardline if you're into that too.

Honey Do chores be damned, I got too many games to play!

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #17125 of 18268 Old 07-14-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
The disc drive shuts off after it installs the game. It will spin up for a few seconds at boot to make sure the disc is present but then shuts off. Drive noise with disc games on the PS4 is a non issue.
post #17126 of 18268 Old 07-14-2014, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Still pissed you can't save full games to the hard drive and swap at will from the mlp.
post #17127 of 18268 Old 07-15-2014, 04:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post
The disc drive shuts off after it installs the game. It will spin up for a few seconds at boot to make sure the disc is present but then shuts off. Drive noise with disc games on the PS4 is a non issue.
While playing the game no. Even if it was still making a bunch of noise I would not notice it while playing a game. But every time I come out of standby it is very noticeable and annoying. Whether I am going to play that game or do something else.
post #17128 of 18268 Old 07-15-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post
Still pissed you can't save full games to the hard drive and swap at will from the mlp.
What is "mlp"?

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #17129 of 18268 Old 07-15-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post
It does save the full game to the hard drive and the second part of your statement is the exact thing that people went nuts over and almost sunk the Xbox One.
post #17130 of 18268 Old 07-15-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
While playing the game no. Even if it was still making a bunch of noise I would not notice it while playing a game. But every time I come out of standby it is very noticeable and annoying. Whether I am going to play that game or do something else.
I know you're all in on digital and that it's worth the cost and risk to you, but you don't have to rationalize it this far. It's cool if you just prefer the convenience but man, suggesting it's appropriate simply because of the disc spools for authenticating before playing the game off the harddrive is pretty damn extreme. It sounds like you're having to constantly justify it to yourself, as if you need to clear your own conscious or something.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page