AVS Forum banner
736K views 21K replies 625 participants last post by  8mile13 
#1 ·

The PlayStation 4 was released on November 15th, 2013 in North America (and two weeks later in Europe) for $399. Here are the specs:
  • Main Processor: Single chip custom processor. CPU is an x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores.

• Graphic Processor: GPU is an AMD next-generation Radeon graphics engine rated at 1.84 teraflops with 18 unified Compute Units.

• Memory: 8GB GDDR5 with 176GB/s bandwidth.

• Hard Drive: 500 GB, replaceable with any standard notebook HDD

• Optical Drive (read only): BD 6x CAV, DVD 8x CAV

• I/O: Super-Speed USB 3.0, Aux (for PS4 Eye)

• Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T), IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR)

• AV Output: HDMI, Analogue AV out, optical digital audio output

~~~

Here's a full list of current PS4 games, as well as all of the announced upcoming titles with video preview links when available.

~~~

The PS4 comes with a new DualShock 4 controller and a headset. The PS3's Move works with the system, and a new PS Camera with dual lenses and increased resolution is sold separately for $60. As a nice bonus, any PS4 game that doesn't have motion control features can be played on the Vita handheld for no extra charge (remote WiFi or over the internet).

Other known tidbits include not having PS3 compatibility except through future Gaikai streaming technology (PSOne and PS2 games as well). Streaming tech also allows you to broadcast as you play, and the system auto records 15 minutes of play at all times, though you can record an entire session manually if you wish.

You don't need to be online to use the PS4, and the system will not block used/rented games. All retail games can be downloaded on the launch day of the title. PlayStation Plus is required to play games online, but not to access media apps or to enjoy offline free-to-play games. The PS4 also allows you to play games you are downloading or installing before you get the entire content.

Up to four different accounts on a PS4 can play simultaneously and share all content, including PS+ stuff, for no extra charge. After designating a primary PS4, you can also share all of your digital content for free with at least one designated secondary PS4 that has logged into your account as long as you are with PS+. So if you and your brother have your own PS4s, have his unit set to be your primary machine and do the opposite for the one you own. That way, you both can enjoy one purchased copy of any digital title as much as you want.

Oh, and be sure to check out this PS4
control video.[/URL] One feature it doesn't mention is that from the UI screen you can tap the L2 button to replace saying the word "PlayStation" in order to open up the voice command options.

System launch titles included Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack, DriveClub, Watch Dogs, (both are delayed until 2014) and Battlefield 4, as well as some PSN downloads like Resogun and The Pinball Arcade. PS+ members will got Resogun and Contrast for free.

Link to the Official PlayStation 4 FAQ

See less See more
#11,441 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt  /t/1459375/playstation-4/11430#post_24112732

All that seems kind of useless to me. I don't normally look at the controller. And if I see the light it distracts me from playing the game. Because sometimes I will notice the light because my pants are lit up with the color of the controller, which then distracts me. Or if TV screen gets dim I see the reflection of the controller light. Of course I have the solution already at home. I just haven't gotten around to putting the Light Dims on.

But I really think that there should be an option to turn it off, or at least adjust the brightness of the light lower. But since I also have the PS4 camera, it does use that light so I'm not sure what will happen with the camera after I put some Light Dims on it. If it won;t work properly with the light Dims on then I will have to just keep it as it is.

Not disagreeing with you on the annoyance, but it's nice that developers are doing such things. And to some people video games are useless.... But we all have our likes and dislikes. Nothing will ever be perfect for everybody, I am just glad there is still creativity out there

#11,442 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt  /t/1459375/playstation-4/11430#post_24112761

That's just it, it isn't a novelty. It's fully integrated into the system. And the experience would be completely different without it. It's one of the things that gives it a next gen feel to me. Plus it makes navigation very quick. I hope the PS4 camera is integrated more into the PS4 UI so we can navigate more quickly by voice on the PS4. Because right now, using just the controller with both systems, is much slower navigating the UI than it is using voice with Kinect. Sony should be able to integrate voice almost as well as Kinect. And if they ever do then navigation would be much quicker on the PS4 too.
I completely disagree. I have no use for the camera whatsoever. I was given a kinect for one of my 360s last week and I do not like it in the least.

#11,443 ·
I personally find the cameras CREEPY.... Kinda neat to do voice control but wasn't the patriot act invasive enough (NSA)(CIA) :eek:now we open our living rooms and they don't even need to tap any phones lol I have watched twitch and ustream on ps4 and I pray there is a way soon to block access to these live feeds, explicit behavior every night and vulgar language every time I turn it on not to mention the drugs smoked on there it's like a government agencies dream ...come on in I welcome you.... We are ignorant at times and duped quite often by cool gimmicks lol pure sarcasm

#11,444 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenzilla  /t/1459375/playstation-4/11430#post_24112966

I personally find the cameras CREEPY.... Kinda neat to do voice control but wasn't the patriot act invasive enough (NSA)(CIA) :eek:now we open our living rooms and they don't even need to tap any phones lol I have watched twitch and ustream on ps4 and I pray there is a way soon to block access to these live feeds, explicit behavior every night and vulgar language every time I turn it on not to mention the drugs smoked on there it's like a government agencies dream ...come on in I welcome you.... We are ignorant at times and duped quite often by cool gimmicks lol pure sarcasm
+1 my friend. My sentiments exactly.

#11,445 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010  /t/1459375/playstation-4/11430#post_24112867

I completely disagree. I have no use for the camera whatsoever. I was given a kinect for one of my 360s last week and I do not like it in the least.
There is a huge difference between Kinect for the 360 and Kinect 2.0 with the XBOne. Using Kinect with the 360 does come nowhere close to how well it works and how well Kinect 2.0 is integrated into the XBOne. I would love for the PS4 camera to eventually have similar integration.

Of course, like every electronic device i've owned over the last several decades, the perfect device for would be an combination of devices. If a system could integrate the best of both next gen systems then that would be close to perfect for me. Both systems have glaring issues. Some I expect to be fixed, but some will be there in sme form or another for the life of the consoles. Which was also the case with the PS3 and 360.

#11,447 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010  /t/1459375/playstation-4/11430#post_24113057

+1 my friend. My sentiments exactly.
Yeah I would hate to be a felon/criminal sitting on my couch playing call of duty ghost as my facial recognition camera says I'm logged in and my exact location when a flash bang comes thru the window and the doors kicked in lol now that's reality hahaha great idea for a comercial😁

Reactions: d_m1010
#11,448 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt  /t/1459375/playstation-4/11430#post_24113066

There is a huge difference between Kinect for the 360 and Kinect 2.0 with the XBOne. Using Kinect with the 360 does come nowhere close to how well it works and how well Kinect 2.0 is integrated into the XBOne. I would love for the PS4 camera to eventually have similar integration.

Of course, like every electronic device i've owned over the last several decades, the perfect device for would be an combination of devices. If a system could integrate the best of both next gen systems then that would be close to perfect for me. Both systems have glaring issues. Some I expect to be fixed, but some will be there in sme form or another for the life of the consoles. Which was also the case with the PS3 and 360.

Just using Kinect to push around menus isn't my idea of "Fully Integrated"

When I had my Xbox One I did use Kinect to navigate menus, but it didn't even factor into the consideration when I chose to send the Xbox One back. If the Kinect is a vital piece of kit for you on the Xbox One than that's great. Microsoft hit it's design goals for you. I just found it didn't really add to my experience.

May I also add that the PS4 camera is much better "integrated" at this point in time than Kinect using the PS4 live sharing.

#11,449 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfive  /t/1459375/playstation-4/11430#post_24113127

When I had my Xbox One I did use Kinect to navigate menus, but it didn't even factor into the consideration when I chose to send the Xbox One back. If the Kinect is a vital piece of kit for you on the Xbox One than that's great. Microsoft hit it's design goals for you. I just found it didn't really add to my experience.

May I also add that the PS4 camera is much better "integrated" at this point in time than Kinect using the PS4 live sharing.

I never said it was "fully integrated". if it were I would be able to go to the settings menu by Kinect and also make changes by Kinect. But right now I can only go to the settings page using Kinect but to make any changes i need to use the controller. I have to go to the settings page alot with both the PS4 and XBOne because of their audio output issues. So I constantly need to change the audio output settings depending on what I am doing/watching on the system. Otherwise the surround field will not sound like it should. With the XBOne I can do this faster than with the PS4. Navigating the UI is just one part of a system. But without being able to easily navigate a UI, no matter how good the system, it will detract from it's overall use.

I've been using both systems almost every night since I got my PS4 last week. The navigation from Kinect is miles ahead of what the PS4 does right now. But Based on how well the PS4 camera works right now, I would think it could be integrated much futher into the navigation of the UI. But since a minority of people probably own the camera, there is not as big of an incentive to do this.

Although the one area where the PS4 camera falls flat is in a darkened room. Normally I just have my TV backlighting on. With Kinect it has no problem quickly recognizing me. But the PS4 camera can't do it with that amount of light. I need to turn on my Floor lamp for the PS4 camera to be able to recognize me. But as long as there is enough light, that works well too.

EDIT:
Sorry about that. I did say it was fully integrated. I didn't type out what I was thinking in the other post.

#11,450 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfive  /t/1459375/playstation-4/11430#post_24113127

Kinect definitely adds to my experience, but not enough to make it better than the PS4.  Kinect has a long way to go before I consider it more than a gimmick.  Simple commands like going to an app or play/pause commands are great.  But saying fast forward, then hanving to say faster 7 times to get to 128speed is silly.  Also navigating netflix or amazon is crazy unless its one of the last shows you watched.  Next page...Next page...Next page..............

Giving tactical commands in a game like Mass Effect Could be cool but still seem gimmicky.  To be honest I'm not sure what would make it not seem gimmicky to me. And don't get me wrong I said "Fire Volley" instead of holding RB in Ryse.  Ryse was also my favorite game so far and only one I beat.  But I have much higher expectations with the PS4 due to Santa Monica and Naughty Dog. 

@aaronwt

Does the PS4 camera have thermal camera, that might be why the kinect does a much better job it has the thermal/nightvison along with regular. 

#11,451 ·
PS4 has voice commands out of the box, no camera required. Just use the included headset.

As for navigation speed, I still miss the XMB, I can get to anything in it faster than I can say where I want to go, I'm not there yet with the PS4, and frankly, I just want the XMB to return with minor tweaks.

#11,452 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON  /t/1459375/playstation-4/11460#post_24113304

PS4 has voice commands out of the box, no camera required. Just use the included headset.

As for navigation speed, I still miss the XMB, I can get to anything in it faster than I can say where I want to go, I'm not there yet with the PS4, and frankly, I just want the XMB to return with minor tweaks.

Yes, someone mentioned that before, probably you. But I don't want to to clip that on unless I'm using it for chat. Becasue if i'm doing something other than playing a game, if I go to set the controller down while watching something it will pull on it.

The PS4 camera works great for recognizing my voice commands. I've only run into an issue when my volume was up very high.

Even with the XMB, I could not navigate it quicker than saying, "Go to xxx" and instantly having a game start or being at the page I said.

#11,454 ·
I only started using the XMB in 2006 when I got my first PS3. But that was mainly for a BD player and for streaming content. So I never used it as much as I would have if I had been gaming on the PS3. But still I remember it needed alot of movements to get to where I needed to go.

With the PS4 when I go to the settings, it always seems to be on the same option. The XBOne will still be on my last selection but the PS4 always seems to start in the same spot. So I always need to go down to get to the audio settings. Is this what happens with everyone else?

#11,456 ·
I would like for them to stick the movie media stuf in one place maybe up to the top next to notifications and friends. Up to media press x and a new list of movie apps would appear with last used app first in line. It would be a 3 or 4 button press to get to netflix but I would know where it is everytime. It's a small complaint but I know where netflix is everytime I fire up the ps3 but I have to hunt for it on the ps4.

#11,457 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt  /t/1459375/playstation-4/11430#post_24112579

I wish they had included the camera with every PS4 like MS did with Kinect. Then I know that they would spend the time to improve the features of the PS4 camera like they should. But since it's optional I don't expect the PS4 camera to be as good as it could have been because the market will be much smaller. Why would they spend alot of resources on a minority of owners?

There's too much emphasis on a camera and I think its because you're XBO vested. Most of the features of the XBO that people like the most don't even need a camera. The voice interactions and many features are falsely tied to a camera device supplanting its value. The "camera" gives you the recognized login and kinnect games. Most of XBO/XBL feature set doesn't use an actual camera. Kinnect == camera.

#11,458 ·
Paying extra to have something recognize me when I log in? No thanks. Pressing power on the controller works like a charm. I appreciate how simple and elegant the PS4 interface is. For my purpose as gamer I am glad Sony put the main focus on gaming. I'm glad the camera is optional for those that want but appreciate that I don't have to shell out money for a more expensive console due to it being packed in.

Having far superior gaming hardware at a significantly lower price made the PS4 an easy choice.

I bought a 360 at launch but their approach was much different back then. Perhaps down the road, despite what MS claims, they'll sell on non-Kinect version at a reasonable price (well below the PS4's price) for those that care more about gaming. As others have pointed out, they could easily do all the voice command stuff without Kinect.

#11,459 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt  /t/1459375/playstation-4/11460#post_24113151

I never said it was "fully integrated". if it were I would be able to go to the settings menu by Kinect and also make changes by Kinect. But right now I can only go to the settings page using Kinect but to make any changes i need to use the controller. I have to go to the settings page alot with both the PS4 and XBOne because of their audio output issues. So I constantly need to change the audio output settings depending on what I am doing/watching on the system. Otherwise the surround field will not sound like it should. With the XBOne I can do this faster than with the PS4. Navigating the UI is just one part of a system. But without being able to easily navigate a UI, no matter how good the system, it will detract from it's overall use.

I've been using both systems almost every night since I got my PS4 last week. The navigation from Kinect is miles ahead of what the PS4 does right now. But Based on how well the PS4 camera works right now, I would think it could be integrated much futher into the navigation of the UI. But since a minority of people probably own the camera, there is not as big of an incentive to do this.

Although the one area where the PS4 camera falls flat is in a darkened room. Normally I just have my TV backlighting on. With Kinect it has no problem quickly recognizing me. But the PS4 camera can't do it with that amount of light. I need to turn on my Floor lamp for the PS4 camera to be able to recognize me. But as long as there is enough light, that works well too.

Im curious why you are having to change audio settings so often? is it between movies and games or just the two consoles? i assume your goal is to get all your speakers working?

#11,460 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415  /t/1459375/playstation-4/11460#post_24113585

Im curious why you are having to change audio settings so often? is it between movies and games or just the two consoles? i assume your goal is to get all your speakers working?

Because I go back and forth between different content. Some content is in 2.0, some in 5.1 and some in 7.1. Depending on what app you are using or what BD you are watching or whether playing a game, the audio output needs to be changed so that it will match the number of source channels. Otherwise you end up with dead channels being output because for instance you could have 2.0 content and it would be output in a 7.1 wrapper(or 5.1 wrapper). Which only gives audio from two channels while the other six are dead. So no post processing can be involved and you end up with audio from only the FL/FR channels. It takes me back to the 80's when that happens. It's a similar issue with both systems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.