Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
If everyone just stopped buying console games until our purchases and multiplayer are cross platform, things would change pretty quickly. They're not going to do it without a little encouragement, so to speak.

Who's with me?
If there was an actual movement to make this happen, I would join. But there's probably ten of us on here that would do it.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17162 of 18081 Old 07-15-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post
somewhat off topic, but i was listening to this weird al song and i think he was reading this thread (jump to 1:07 if you don't want to listen to the whole song.. but you should listen to the whole thing..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc
Lol, better than his Happy paradoy.

Winning for including clippy...and WTF is that Windows Server 2000?...

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @gundumgaming

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17163 of 18081 Old 07-15-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
If there was an actual movement to make this happen, I would join. But there's probably ten of us on here that would do it.

What would it take to make it an "actual movement"?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #17164 of 18081 Old 07-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What would it take to make it an "actual movement"?
Some kind of confirmation that more than a single sub forum worth a few members were doing it.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #17165 of 18081 Old 07-15-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 715
I'm in if it would only take a week or two.

Otherwise I think it would be a very, very, very long wait.

Too much stuff coming out in the next six months that I want to play.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #17166 of 18081 Old 07-15-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Some kind of confirmation that more than a single sub forum worth a few members were doing it.
If you count all the people posting in the HTPC subforums about how they're so sick of the console shenanigans that they're building their first PC, that makes two subforums.

If the best thing the PS4 has to offer is a watered down version of steam, why not go for the real deal? Eventually Sony will have to adapt by offering something competitive.

post #17167 of 18081 Old 07-15-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm in if it would only take a week or two.

Otherwise I think it would be a very, very, very long wait.

Too much stuff coming out in the next six months that I want to play.
I think renting or buying everything used qualifies, as long as they don't make any money from you until they deserve it.

(Man, sometimes I surprise myself how anti-console I've become in the last few months.)

post #17168 of 18081 Old 07-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I'm not that anti console yet. I'm just "anti-current practices." But, I haven't bought a single ps4 game yet. Everything I have is from gamefly or PS plus. Last console game I bought was Last of Us.

Destiny will be the first game, probably.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #17169 of 18081 Old 07-15-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 150
It's been pretty lackluster game-wise, at least for me. I grabbed some of the freebies and they were okay but I must admit my PS3 has been getting used much more than my PS4 lately. Destiny is my must-have game this year since The Order has been pushed until next year.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :).
post #17170 of 18081 Old 07-15-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm not that anti console yet. I'm just "anti-current practices." But, I haven't bought a single ps4 game yet. Everything I have is from gamefly or PS plus. Last console game I bought was Last of Us.

Destiny will be the first game, probably.

Technically the only thing I bought for the ps4 is the cod ghosts next gen upgrade, and I feel a little dirty having paid extra for permission to play a game I already owned. I regret buying digital instead of disc, but I won't make that mistake twice.

post #17171 of 18081 Old 07-16-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I was watching Transformers: Dark of the Moon Blu Ray on my PS4 last night and there were judders/stutter/frame skipping throughout the whole movie. I have my Samsung TV on Auto Motion CLEAR and to this point I've never had this issue with any sources, (Netflix, Blu Ray, DirecTV). Halfway through the movie I went to the on-screen movie menu and let it sit there for a few minutes. I resumed the movie and no more judders. After 10 minutes or so the judders came back and stayed throughout the movie. I have the PS4 connected to my Yamaha Receiver via HDMI. Could this be the movie or is my PS4 Blu Ray Drive going bad? I tested the movie on my PS3 and perfect but the TV connected to the PS3 was an old 60Hz HD TV.

I tested Netflix and no judders on anything but Dolby Digital + wasn't on my Receiver just PCM. It's always said DD+ if available on PS4. Any thoughts?

Also, I'd been using the AVS App for Android since Nov. '13 and just bought the Galaxy S5 but no more AVS App. Can't find it on Apple either. ???

Last edited by AncientAlien; 07-16-2014 at 11:17 AM.
post #17172 of 18081 Old 07-17-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post
I was watching Transformers: Dark of the Moon Blu Ray on my PS4 last night and there were judders/stutter/frame skipping throughout the whole movie. I have my Samsung TV on Auto Motion CLEAR and to this point I've never had this issue with any sources, (Netflix, Blu Ray, DirecTV). Halfway through the movie I went to the on-screen movie menu and let it sit there for a few minutes. I resumed the movie and no more judders. After 10 minutes or so the judders came back and stayed throughout the movie. I have the PS4 connected to my Yamaha Receiver via HDMI. Could this be the movie or is my PS4 Blu Ray Drive going bad? I tested the movie on my PS3 and perfect but the TV connected to the PS3 was an old 60Hz HD TV.

I tested Netflix and no judders on anything but Dolby Digital + wasn't on my Receiver just PCM. It's always said DD+ if available on PS4. Any thoughts?

Also, I'd been using the AVS App for Android since Nov. '13 and just bought the Galaxy S5 but no more AVS App. Can't find it on Apple either. ???
I as well have my PS4 connected to a Sammy display, but my motion/judder software for BR 24fps sources is called CinemaSmooth. In my setup I have zero issues with stutter/judder with CS turned on or off.

Signal path wise you do need to consider what differences there might be in cables, AVR settings and pictures controls for the HDMI input associated with the PS4. I have personal experience that my PS4 does NOT like 1 of my hdmi cables.

Anyway I'd think a good place to start would be to check out the AVS owner's thread for your specific display and see if anyone there has any similar issues.
post #17173 of 18081 Old 07-17-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post
I as well have my PS4 connected to a Sammy display, but my motion/judder software for BR 24fps sources is called CinemaSmooth. In my setup I have zero issues with stutter/judder with CS turned on or off.

Signal path wise you do need to consider what differences there might be in cables, AVR settings and pictures controls for the HDMI input associated with the PS4. I have personal experience that my PS4 does NOT like 1 of my hdmi cables.

Anyway I'd think a good place to start would be to check out the AVS owner's thread for your specific display and see if anyone there has any similar issues.
Only had the issue with Transformers 3 Blu Ray. Never had Motion Resolution problems before that and we've watched a lot of blu rays/DVDs on the PS4 since Dec. Just wondering WHY that particular movie. We watched Back to the Future 1 last night on Blu Ray and it was perfect. ???

I've watched Netflix on PS4 before and was able to get Dolby Digital + on my Receiver but the last few nights everything says PCM on my Receiver.
post #17174 of 18081 Old 07-17-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Rainbow 6: Siege livestream happening: http://www.twitch.tv/ubisoft

Twitch.tv:

post #17175 of 18081 Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
Rainbow 6: Siege livestream happening: http://www.twitch.tv/ubisoft
this looks really good, can't wait for this game to come out...

also said they are working on terrorist hunt!

Last edited by benjamin-benjami; 07-17-2014 at 11:31 AM.
post #17176 of 18081 Old 07-17-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Only had the issue with Transformers 3 Blu Ray. Never had Motion Resolution problems before that and we've watched a lot of blu rays/DVDs on the PS4 since Dec. Just wondering WHY that particular movie. We watched Back to the Future 1 last night on Blu Ray and it was perfect. ???

I've watched Netflix on PS4 before and was able to get Dolby Digital + on my Receiver but the last few nights everything says PCM on my Receiver.
It could simply just be that particular movie, maybe some small errors that made it through mfr'ing. A simple test would be to try another copy of the same movie if possible.

It may or may not play any part but one thing you could try is disabling the internet live/connection features for BluRay. Just thinking it is another variable is all.

Regarding NF make sure the app is set to output DD/DTS. For the PS4 I'm pretty sure you can pull up the user interface by pressing the Options button and then use the dpad to select the Languages option. In that next pull down you should find the option for the NF app to output in DD/DTS or PCM.

Last edited by icelt; 07-17-2014 at 12:16 PM.
post #17177 of 18081 Old 07-17-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
It could simply just be that particular movie, maybe some small errors that made it through mfr'ing. A simple test would be to try another copy of the same movie if possible.

It may or may not play any part but one thing you could try is disabling the internet live/connection features for BluRay. Just thinking it is another variable is all.

Regarding NF make sure the app is set to output DD/DTS. For the PS4 I'm pretty sure you can pull up the user interface by pressing the Options button and then use the dpad to select the Languages option. In that next pull down you should find the option for the NF app to output in DD/DTS or PCM.
I didn't realize there were separate options per app. I went into the main settings and have it set for PCM output. So all my apps are output in PCm. I have not been bitstreaming anything from my PS4 since it seems to properly send out 24bit 96khz BD content in PCM. Unlike the XBOne.

post #17178 of 18081 Old 07-17-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 218
So, as soon as I logged into bungie.net to see my codes, it automated an email to me with the codes "Cravit8, you and two friends can play Destiny Beta right now! Here are three PlayStation Network download codes:"

Looks like EVERYONE gets 3 codes. Another non-exclusive beta...again. Man these marketing ploys...

and more'...'
post #17179 of 18081 Old 07-17-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I didn't realize there were separate options per app. I went into the main settings and have it set for PCM output. So all my apps are output in PCm. I have not been bitstreaming anything from my PS4 since it seems to properly send out 24bit 96khz BD content in PCM. Unlike the XBOne.
Yeah agreed it's kinda odd that an app can defeat the main OS sound output settings.

I found out the hard/confusing way that this discrepancy also applies to BR discs. I just recently purchased Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day BR and no matter what I changed on the receiver or in the PS4 OS I couldn't get bitstream to the receiver, only 7.1 PCM.

After some minutes of randomly fiddling with buttons and settings I noticed in the BR settings popup menu that was a sub-menu for "sound output" (or similar). Pressed X on that and noticed in the drop down that PCM was selected. Very frurstrating up until that discovery.

On the plus side I and my gf both experimentally confirmed that the 7.1 DAC's in my Pioneer receiver are farrrrrrr better than those on the PS4.
post #17180 of 18081 Old 07-17-2014, 01:27 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
So, as soon as I logged into bungie.net to see my codes, it automated an email to me with the codes "Cravit8, you and two friends can play Destiny Beta right now! Here are three PlayStation Network download codes:"

Looks like EVERYONE gets 3 codes. Another non-exclusive beta...again. Man these marketing ploys...

and more'...'
What do you mean non exclusive? It's intended for you to give 2 ps friends that haven't pre-ordered to get beta access. It's still exclusive to PS4 for a week. Fire teams are you and 2 people, that's what they want you to do.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #17181 of 18081 Old 07-17-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
I did a little googling, and I'm gonna pass for now. There's nothing good to play on it yet.
I would have jumped on OR if Alien Isolation was launching with it. From what I read that played the demo with it sounded fantastic. It's a shame Sega decided not to release it for it since they had already started working on it.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #17182 of 18081 Old 07-17-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post
this looks really good, can't wait for this game to come out...

also said they are working on terrorist hunt!
Hopefully it doesnt follow the typical Ubisoft dev cycle. Stellar announcement > inexplicable delays > mediocre game...(looking at you Watch_Dogs)

Twitch.tv:

post #17183 of 18081 Old 07-17-2014, 04:59 PM

On the PS4 the first 2 pics below show where one can find the Audio Format selection drop down. This can be accessed while watching a BR disc by pressing the Options button on the controller and then scrolling with the D-pad to Settings.

Now regarding NetFlix I got a couple of details a bit off. You can indeed change the audio output format (for titles that have DD or DTS encoding) from within the player (see pic #3 below). However in order to bring up the menu press down on the D-pad not Options as I stated previously. Sorry if my prior posts caused anyone confusion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0244.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	167153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0245.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	167161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0243.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	167169  
post #17184 of 18081 Old 07-17-2014, 05:21 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Playing a new game on the PS4. Kids really love it.

Rayman Legends is the game.

Just awesome graphics and great game..

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501.
post #17185 of 18081 Old 07-18-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
On the PS4 the first 2 pics below show where one can find the Audio Format selection drop down. This can be accessed while watching a BR disc by pressing the Options button on the controller and then scrolling with the D-pad to Settings.

Now regarding NetFlix I got a couple of details a bit off. You can indeed change the audio output format (for titles that have DD or DTS encoding) from within the player (see pic #3 below). However in order to bring up the menu press down on the D-pad not Options as I stated previously. Sorry if my prior posts caused anyone confusion.
When I watch Netflix it says DD+ in the NF Menu during the Movie but Receiver says PCM. Whereas before last week, haven't changed anything, it said Dolby Digital + on my Receiver.

Have you noticed that Dolby Digital True HD Movies sound better and more full with PS4 in PCM instead of Bitstream? I've tested many different Blu Ray Movies and 95% of the time PCM sounds better than Bitstream, only on DDTrue HD Movies. DTS MA sounds identical between PCM/Bitstream.
post #17186 of 18081 Old 07-18-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
When I watch Netflix it says DD+ in the NF Menu during the Movie but Receiver says PCM. Whereas before last week, haven't changed anything, it said Dolby Digital + on my Receiver.

Have you noticed that Dolby Digital True HD Movies sound better and more full with PS4 in PCM instead of Bitstream? I've tested many different Blu Ray Movies and 95% of the time PCM sounds better than Bitstream, only on DDTrue HD Movies. DTS MA sounds identical between PCM/Bitstream.
Uncertain as the only BR disc I have personally tested was the Led Zeppelin live concert I mentioned. In that example the Bitstream decoded by the receiver sounded substantially better to our ears than sending it PCM. It really wasn't even close for that disc. If I think about it I'll try testing out a couple other movies.
post #17187 of 18081 Old 07-18-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The only difference I've noticed is that the PCM output is a little louder since the PS4 is not applying the Dial Norm to the decoded audio like it should. When my receiver decodes it the level is usually reduced by 4dB to 7dB. Depending on what level the bitstream tells it to be reduced.

I use the PS4 PCM output because it's going to be PCM from the games anyway and any BD titles will have the menu audio mixed in with PCm output too. Plus i'd rather it not be jumping back and forth between bitstreaming and sending out pcm.

post #17188 of 18081 Old 07-18-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
The only difference I've noticed is that the PCM output is a little louder since the PS4 is not applying the Dial Norm to the decoded audio like it should. When my receiver decodes it the level is usually reduced by 4dB to 7dB. Depending on what level the bitstream tells it to be reduced.

I use the PS4 PCM output because it's going to be PCM from the games anyway and any BD titles will have the menu audio mixed in with PCm output too. Plus i'd rather it not be jumping back and forth between bitstreaming and sending out pcm.
Interesting, so possibly what I was perceiving as improved audio quality was actually just a difference in base loudness.
post #17189 of 18081 Old 07-19-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My PS4 is just collecting dust. I'm out of the loop so has there been any word on when (or if) it will be able to play 3d discs? Now that I have a 3d capable TV I'd like to try it out.

Truth is now that I've moved to 4k on my computer I haven't even bothered to connect the PS4 to the new TV, I love the games in 4k...maybe when the novelty wears off I'll be motivated to set up the PS4, though I've been thinking of hooking up the controller to my PC to get some use out of it. I really hate having to put in the discs every time I want to change games (my dog also managed to eject one disc fortunately I notice before it got scratched) haven't had to do that on my PC for years (and no, downloading 30GB+ games is not an option for me).
post #17190 of 18081 Old 07-19-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostonmountain View Post
My PS4 is just collecting dust. I'm out of the loop so has there been any word on when (or if) it will be able to play 3d discs? Now that I have a 3d capable TV I'd like to try it out.

Truth is now that I've moved to 4k on my computer I haven't even bothered to connect the PS4 to the new TV, I love the games in 4k...maybe when the novelty wears off I'll be motivated to set up the PS4, though I've been thinking of hooking up the controller to my PC to get some use out of it. I really hate having to put in the discs every time I want to change games (my dog also managed to eject one disc fortunately I notice before it got scratched) haven't had to do that on my PC for years (and no, downloading 30GB+ games is not an option for me).
Still not 3D capable which is kind of a joke at this point. Xbox One is adding 3D Bluray capability in their next update. It remains to be seen if Sony will get a fire lit under their butts now.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1151.4
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page