post #17371 of 17389 Old Today, 04:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post
Sony confirmed the PS Now minimum will drop to $1.99 in a few weeks. With that said, the publishers set the pricing for their own games, not Sony. They are also looking at offering a annual pass for a fee... probably not until the full release though.

As for the Electronic Arts thing, why assume that EA is a white knight in this? None of us knows what is going on behind the scenes, and I'd be surprised if they didn't have some angle that a lot of people aren't considering with this new service.

For instance, are one of the only major PC game publishers that no longer puts major releases on Steam. Why? Because they want Valve to allow them to handle transactions through their games and Origin service, which screws Valve out of a cut of DLC and add-on money.

So doesn't it seem possible that EA wants their own sub-PS+ service on the PS3? I mean, I hear they demand that customers set up a separate EA account (with credit card) within their portal, which could conceivably used to filter us through their store and skip PSN altogether. Sony would understandably cry foul since they didn't invest millions developing a console so 3rd party digital companies could benefit without the PSN.

Even if all of this is off the mark, it seems way too simplistic to simply say "Sony doesn't want us to choose." If the price is right (and maybe if they force EA to allow us to use our PSN accounts), they'll probably change their mind.
I think that's exactly what EA wants. I don't know if I'd go as far as saying that Sony would be getting screwed by that. From my perspective, I bought the hardware, I should be able to purchase from whom I please on it. But just like apple does on the iphone, they're in control, and they get to demand a toll.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17372 of 17389 Old Today, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
I think that's exactly what EA wants. I don't know if I'd go as far as saying that Sony would be getting screwed by that. From my perspective, I bought the hardware, I should be able to purchase from whom I please on it. But just like apple does on the iphone, they're in control, and they get to demand a toll.
So far Sony has made what I'd consider good choices so I can't fault them. Really though its just been Sony passing on EA stuff so I'm on board with that! If they passed on something I cared about I'd probably be unhappy.
post #17373 of 17389 Old Today, 04:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
So far Sony has made what I'd consider good choices so I can't fault them. Really though its just been Sony passing on EA stuff so I'm on board with that! If they passed on something I cared about I'd probably be unhappy.

I doubt their decision would have changed if it was activision, ubisoft or anyone else.

post #17374 of 17389 Old Today, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I just don't want a company telling me whats in my best interest, let me decide what is or isn't. MS had that same attitude a year ago. Its Sony saying no to EA today but what else will they start doing in our "best interest". This might of hurt the PS Now and thats why I think they passed on it. They don't want other publishers to start doing this because that would really hurt PS Now. I also believe Sony has the recommended pricing for the publishers to follow with some incentives on following it.

The billing of it is done through MS and not EA. Just like all other MS subscriptions, they charge whatever card/paypal you have on file and do not use what money you have stored on your account.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #17375 of 17389 Old Today, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh I get the choice thing. I was a proponent of the xbone digital sharing, wasnt enthused that there wasn't a resale option and a couple other things but I was largely for it. The masses challenged it and removed my choice. So it works both ways. And speaking of DRM schemes, EA has kill switches in their program. I cant wait for the "I posted a negative comment on Origin and my games don't work" to start rolling in. Or better yet your sub drops off and you lose access to all games whether their in that service or not. EA....its in the game! Has a whole new meaning!
post #17376 of 17389 Old Today, 06:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Sony confirmed the PS Now minimum will drop to $1.99 in a few weeks. With that said, the publishers set the pricing for their own games, not Sony. They are also looking at offering a annual pass for a fee... probably not until the full release though.

As for the Electronic Arts thing, why assume that EA is a white knight in this? None of us knows what is going on behind the scenes, and I'd be surprised if they didn't have some angle that a lot of people aren't considering with this new service.

The angle is obvious. You pay the yearly $30 fee and you get access to the basic game. For instance Battlefield 4. You only get access to the original game that came out in 20913. If you want to play and DLC or add ons, you need to purchase it. I know if I get a stand alone game like that I will get the add ons. So if I play a game through EA access I will still get the add ons. But at least you get a 10% discount on the DLC and add ons with EA access. Plus if they do end up offering a newer game through EA access on the XBONe, I most likely won't be paying for a full stand alone version on the PS4. Since it would cost me more money. Of course there also needs to be content I want to play too. At the very least the EA access will allow us to try out a new game for a couple of hours. And then if you purchase the stand alone digital version, you will get 10% off. But of course it will still need to be on the XBOne to get that discount.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #17377 of 17389 Old Today, 06:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
I just don't want a company telling me whats in my best interest, let me decide what is or isn't. MS had that same attitude a year ago. Its Sony saying no to EA today but what else will they start doing in our "best interest". This might of hurt the PS Now and thats why I think they passed on it. They don't want other publishers to start doing this because that would really hurt PS Now. I also believe Sony has the recommended pricing for the publishers to follow with some incentives on following it.

The billing of it is done through MS and not EA. Just like all other MS subscriptions, they charge whatever card/paypal you have on file and do not use what money you have stored on your account.
I don't understand how it could hurt PS NOw when PS now is for streaming old last gen games isn't it? Or does Sony plan on also streaming current Gen games? That is the only way that I could see it being affected. If they plan on also streaming current gen games. Either way though for me, I have no plan on streaming any games.

LED DLP

post #17378 of 17389 Old Today, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 188
^^^ Just like Origin on PCs is doing little to nothing to affect Steam as a whole, the small offerings of EA Access are not a threat to PS Now, which will succeed or fail on its own merits.

Quote:
I doubt their decision would have changed if it was activision, ubisoft or anyone else.
Well, Konami used MGS4 and Valve used Portal 2 on the PS3 to have us register to their own network. So Sony has at least experimented with the concept of 3rd parties having somewhat independent access to the gamers.

But obviously those deals did not include Sony allowing them to entice us to purchase extra game content and DLC outside of the PSN store, so that must be where they draw the line IMHO.

Again, they did not invest millions of $$$ into a hardware platform just so third companies can reap the benefits with little to no cost to them. If this were the situation, Sony has to protect their fragile business model, especially since whatever deal they may ultimately make for EA Access will likely have to be extended to Ubisoft, Activision, etc.

In the end though, I just don't trust the scumminess of EA, even if their true angle for creating this portal isn't fully known right now. Sony made an unusually strong and harsh statement against EA about this issue, which makes me think there is more going on than they admit. It won't be the first time that Sony claimed we gamers didn't need something that they initially omitted, with the full truth being much more than that (remember the lack of rumble in launch PS3s?).

Still, if we can choose to rent/stream EA Access stuff using our PSN accounts alone to satisfy Sony's store model fears (if that is indeed an issue to them), I'll be on board.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Last edited by joeblow; Today at 06:43 AM.
post #17379 of 17389 Old Today, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 236
I think some of you guys are reading too much into Sony's verbal non-response.

It's just typical corporate high level "we have to say something, so here it is" hubbub. Sony just didn't want to do it, for whatever reasons, their position in the market among them, and opted to respond as if their headquarters was located on Pennsylvania avenue in Washington DC.

Everyone of these companies makes decisions for you. Every single major consumer electronics company is a closed and controlled market. This is nothing new.

My personal opinion is that the EA announcement isn't really a good deal BUT it's a kick-off in the right direction, I'm all for a subscription model that is priced right.

I don't know how video games get away from fragmentation. The gaming industry get's compared to the movie/music industry a fair amount but those industries use simple standards. Movies and music are consumables, and their creation doesn't require leverage from hardware/platform development kits. A guitar and a microphone can make music. A video game, although a consumable, is more akin to software, and as such is always going to require SDKs and platform limitations. I don't see how we can get to a point where a game developer can just make a game and we can play it anywhere and everywhere with the console/hardware prices sold with no meaningful profit and with the intention of making money with software attachment.

Maybe if the PS4/XBO cost $1000 or something, and the gaming platform economic model was based off of hardware sales and services (PS+/XBL) and NOT software sales. As long as these divisions are primarily funded with software sales, no company is going to relinquish licensing a game separately. When I think of software I use at work, which is really the only PC software of value in my life anymore, it's not platform agnostic. I can't take my copy of Office for Windows and use it on my Mac at home. These are separate purchases. Interestingly Adobe (and likely others) are moving to cloud based products that lets your license travel with you but that only works because Microsoft and Apple don't limit user-sided installations in the PC space. Microsoft/Apple make their money from Adobe in a different way than Microsoft/Sony makes money from Ubisoft/Ea/Activision. I think that is the Achilles heel of gaming fragmentation.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #17380 of 17389 Old Today, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I don't understand how it could hurt PS NOw when PS now is for streaming old last gen games isn't it? Or does Sony plan on also streaming current Gen games? That is the only way that I could see it being affected. If they plan on also streaming current gen games. Either way though for me, I have no plan on streaming any games.
No it will not have PS4 games, at least not for now.

I look at it as would you rather pay $5 for a month access for a next gen game or $5 for a week access of a last gen game? Sure its not PS4 games but EA will release most of the games on both gens.

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #17381 of 17389 Old Today, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
To me this is a bad greedy move from Sony. They should allow the consumer to choose and allow us to have options. Truth is that $30 a year isn't a bad deal considering you get 4 games to start and get to play full future titles 5 days before their actual release date. To me that alone is worth it. How many times do we buy games and feel burned. I'm a sports gamer first so to me it's a no brainer. I get to try out madden 15 for 5 days and decide if it's worth buying the actual game. Having the reputation that madden has if barely improving their game this helps me. Sometimes a demo doesn't give you the full picture. It's a bad move from Sony and PSnow is terribly priced. I don't see how giving us options is a bad thing. I joined for 1 month through my Xbox one and I'll see how it goes, but so far not bad.

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #17382 of 17389 Old Today, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
To me this is a bad greedy move from Sony. They should allow the consumer to choose and allow us to have options. Truth is that $30 a year isn't a bad deal considering you get 4 games to start and get to play full future titles 5 days before their actual release date. To me that alone is worth it. How many times do we buy games and feel burned. I'm a sports gamer first so to me it's a no brainer. I get to try out madden 15 for 5 days and decide if it's worth buying the actual game. Having the reputation that madden has if barely improving their game this helps me. Sometimes a demo doesn't give you the full picture. It's a bad move from Sony and PSnow is terribly priced. I don't see how giving us options is a bad thing. I joined for 1 month through my Xbox one and I'll see how it goes, but so far not bad.
From what what I've read, early acces is a few short hours. Its not like you can get early access to the BF Hardline campaign, can beat it, and not buy the game. You get very limited demo type access. That part I can't fault them on. Why let someone blast through a few days of a game without actually purchasing it? If things did work that way, yea I'd pay EA $30 a year to blow through their iterations in 5 days.
post #17383 of 17389 Old Today, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
^^^ Just like Origin on PCs is doing little to nothing to affect Steam as a whole, the small offerings of EA Access are not a threat to PS Now, which will succeed or fail on its own merits.

Well, Konami used MGS4 and Valve used Portal 2 on the PS3 to have us register to their own network. So Sony has at least experimented with the concept of 3rd parties having somewhat independent access to the gamers.

But obviously those deals did not include Sony allowing them to entice us to purchase extra game content and DLC outside of the PSN store, so that must be where they draw the line IMHO.

Again, they did not invest millions of $$$ into a hardware platform just so third companies can reap the benefits with little to no cost to them. If this were the situation, Sony has to protect their fragile business model, especially since whatever deal they may ultimately make for EA Access will likely have to be extended to Ubisoft, Activision, etc.

In the end though, I just don't trust the scumminess of EA, even if their true angle for creating this portal isn't fully known right now. Sony made an unusually strong and harsh statement against EA about this issue, which makes me think there is more going on than they admit. It won't be the first time that Sony claimed we gamers didn't need something that they initially omitted, with the full truth being much more than that (remember the lack of rumble in launch PS3s?).

Still, if we can choose to rent/stream EA Access stuff using our PSN accounts alone to satisfy Sony's store model fears (if that is indeed an issue to them), I'll be on board.
Well, this is an easy one to answer at least. Can anyone with the xbox EA access tell us what happens when you try to purchase DLC for those games? I'm pretty sure it still goes through the xbox store.

Either way, IIRC they're already making a profit on the hardware, arent they? So this isn't really the "give away the blade, sell the razor" situation that consoles used to be. I don't think they get a cut if you buy or rent a movie on vudu, so why should games be different? Ultimately they're going to fight the cross platform trend as long as they can, and right now they've got the leverage to do so, but just barely. But this is a perfect example of the devils bargain we make with these consoles. I'm honestly a little surprised MS even agreed to it.

post #17384 of 17389 Old Today, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
Anybody check out the PS Now open beta? I keep forgetting about it but its apparently up. Prices are stupid from what I'm reading.
Obviously everyone views value differently but just last week I payed Amazon $5.99 plus tax to stream 12 Years a Slave in HD. That temporary streaming license I purchased was good for 48 hours. Soooo... in that context I personally don't get all the "stupid pricing" hub-bub.

I mean I'm not overly interested in the service at the moment, but the pricing seems fairly reasonable especially for the 7 days and longer durations. But that's just me.

Last edited by icelt; Today at 07:51 AM.
post #17385 of 17389 Old Today, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, this is an easy one to answer at least. Can anyone with the xbox EA access tell us what happens when you try to purchase DLC for those games? I'm pretty sure it still goes through the xbox store.

It goes through the Xbox store and you can use your xbox wallet as well. Only the sub bypasses the xbox wallet.

post #17386 of 17389 Old Today, 08:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
It goes through the Xbox store and you can use your xbox wallet as well. Only the sub bypasses the xbox wallet.
And it shows the discounted price. It shows the original price with a line through it. And next to it is the price with 10% off which is what EA access members pay.

LED DLP

post #17387 of 17389 Old Today, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I'm not sure how I feel about EA Access and I'm not sure I would subscribe but, I don't like that Sony turned them down using this dumb excuse:

Quote:
“PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200% since the launch of PlayStation 4, which shows that gamers are looking for memberships that offer a multitude of services, across various devices, for one low price. We don’t think asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer.”

Based on that comment then they should block there own BS Now service because it does not offer PS+ members a good value for "one low price".

That was just a dumb comment to make IMO. Surely they could have come up with a better statement then that.

I know others disagree but I think it is very simple; EA Access is not on PS because of BS Now, just like we can't play MP3s on our PS4s because of that stupid Sony Music service (9 months later and still nothing, it don't take that long to build an MP3 player). Sony is not going to allow a service on PS that will compete with one of there own and make no mistake, it does compete with Now. I'd be much more interested in a service like EA Access that offers 6 month old games then a service that offers 10 year old games.

And yes, I meant to say BS Now because the service is BS IMO. It doesn't work great, the prices are ridiculous and the games selection is very poor IMO.

PSN ID: RollTide1017

Last edited by rolltide1017; Today at 08:32 AM.
post #17388 of 17389 Old Today, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post
Obviously everyone views value differently but just last week I payed Amazon $5.99 plus tax to stream 12 Years a Slave in HD. That temporary streaming license I purchased was good for 48 hours. Soooo... in that context I personally don't get all the "stupid pricing" hub-bub.

I mean I'm not overly interested in the service at the moment, but the pricing seems fairly reasonable especially for the 7 days and longer durations. But that's just me.
The hourly is what's hanging people up but after some logic is applied it may not be too bad. Say I just want to see if I like a game or know that the game only takes a couple hours to beat, then a few bucks for a few hours isnt too bad.

I might check a game out just to see how well things work. If I like it I'd get a sub. If its meh it gets a pass.
post #17389 of 17389 Old Today, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Something to remember. Microsoft still has a deal with EA for marketing and exclusive content. Sony may not have been offered this service at all. Also, Microsoft aren't in a position to refuse to offer something due to their poor sales in 2014.* This EA service could be screwing them over royally, but they really can't refuse to offer it, they need everything they can get right now.

*For context, the quarterly reports for the big 3 show Sony outshipping Nintendo and Microsoft combined by a very wide margine. The PS4 alone likely outshipped the Wii, Wii U, 3DS, 360 and Xbox One combined worldwide based on the numbers we were given. Sony is back on top and they are in a position to actually say no to a publisher and the publisher can't really talk back. Whether that is resulting in something positive or negative for gamers remains to be seen. (But if it is anything like Origin, it is just more EA greed that will hurt more than it helps them or us)

Last edited by PENDRAG0ON; Today at 08:53 AM.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page