PlayStation 4 - Page 581 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mphfrom77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: northern KY
Posts: 3,857
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 236
I was under the impression that this streaming games service was a bit of a laggy mess. No?
mphfrom77 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-01-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,346
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post
I was under the impression that this streaming games service was a bit of a laggy mess. No?
It's streaming. There is always going to be some lag.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post
I was under the impression that this streaming games service was a bit of a laggy mess. No?

It worked fine for me the few times I tried it in the Beta. The problem for me was the complete lack of compelling games to play. Might be different now, not sure.
freemeat is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Is anybody else surprised that there isn't some kind of "trial" or "demo" with the PS Now service ? I mean, you'd think they would want to let people try it for like 5 minutes, just to see how bad the lag is (or isn't).

I was looking around in there for a way to try the service out without actually putting any money into it, but I couldn't find that option if it exists.
Anthony1 is online now  
Old 08-01-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Crash44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Is anybody else surprised that there isn't some kind of "trial" or "demo" with the PS Now service ? I mean, you'd think they would want to let people try it for like 5 minutes, just to see how bad the lag is (or isn't).

I was looking around in there for a way to try the service out without actually putting any money into it, but I couldn't find that option if it exists.
Was thinking of checking the service during the beta. If there's nothing at all provided for free to test their service and performance, then why call it a test? Sounds more like a limited rollout, and I'm not paying Sony to test their stuff. Might as well wait until the service launches, wait for a game that compels me to try it, etc. The pricing isn't too hot either after studying the lists so far. Maybe that will improve by official launch time.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
Crash44 is online now  
Old 08-01-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 612
There were free games in the Beta.
freemeat is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Artman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
There were free games in the Beta.

Very bad ones at that.

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
Artman22 is online now  
Old 08-01-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
Very bad ones at that.
Yup! Dead island riptide is one of the games I played/. Horrible
freemeat is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,593
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
Yup! Dead island riptide is one of the games I played/. Horrible

Oh it gets worse than that... I played the Pacific Rim game and laughed the whole time.


Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Yeah I'm not gonna fire that one up.
freemeat is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
emartins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 4,411
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post
Was thinking of checking the service during the beta. If there's nothing at all provided for free to test their service and performance, then why call it a test? Sounds more like a limited rollout, and I'm not paying Sony to test their stuff. Might as well wait until the service launches, wait for a game that compels me to try it, etc. The pricing isn't too hot either after studying the lists so far. Maybe that will improve by official launch time.

It does have a Connection Test and will let you know if you can stream the games or not. Go to the PS store, PlayStation Now and the last option will have the Connection Test.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
emartins is online now  
Old 08-01-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Yeah, I tried the connection test. It said that it would work.

I just think it's a bit weird that they wouldn't give you like a 5 minute sample, just to see how it works. Maybe there is a technical challenge with doing something like that.


The only game I can think of streaming, would be Uncharted 2. I never finished Uncharted 2, and I've never even touched Uncharted 3. I wouldn't mind streaming Uncharted 2, but if there was any lag at all, any degradation in the video quality or anything, then I would be seriously disappointed. If there was zero lag, and zero image quality loss (at least to my perceptions of it), then I would be seriously impressed. Still, I'm more interested in using this service as a way to rent PS4 games. I'm just not that excited about playing PS3 games right now.

I'd pay $5 to be able to play Uncharted 2 for like 20 days. It would be worth the opportunity to test the system out, but other than that, I guess I'm just going to turn a blind eye to PS Now. Instead, I'm going to jump on the EA / XB1 bandwagon ! Lol... just kidding... sorta.
Anthony1 is online now  
Old 08-01-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,045
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Yeah, I tried the connection test. It said that it would work.

I just think it's a bit weird that they wouldn't give you like a 5 minute sample, just to see how it works. Maybe there is a technical challenge with doing something like that.


The only game I can think of streaming, would be Uncharted 2. I never finished Uncharted 2, and I've never even touched Uncharted 3. I wouldn't mind streaming Uncharted 2, but if there was any lag at all, any degradation in the video quality or anything, then I would be seriously disappointed. If there was zero lag, and zero image quality loss (at least to my perceptions of it), then I would be seriously impressed. Still, I'm more interested in using this service as a way to rent PS4 games. I'm just not that excited about playing PS3 games right now.

I'd pay $5 to be able to play Uncharted 2 for like 20 days. It would be worth the opportunity to test the system out, but other than that, I guess I'm just going to turn a blind eye to PS Now. Instead, I'm going to jump on the EA / XB1 bandwagon ! Lol... just kidding... sorta.
There is almost no circumstance where I'd actually pay to stream a game. I think it'd be really neat for demos though, but those don't really exist anymore.
Johnny Mnemonic likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
Old 08-01-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
benjamin-benjami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: edmond, ok
Posts: 4,232
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
There is almost no circumstance where I'd actually pay to stream a game. I think it'd be really neat for demos though, but those don't really exist anymore.
not true if the game was one where i was being streamed live and whatever button you hit decided which article of clothes i would take off, you would stream that...
benjamin-benjami is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,045
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post
not true if the game was one where i was being streamed live and whatever button you hit decided which article of clothes i would take off, you would stream that...
lol, there's an exception to every rule I guess. :P
benjamin-benjami likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
Old 08-01-2014, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lordxar5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,259
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post
not true if the game was one where i was being streamed live and whatever button you hit decided which article of clothes i would take off, you would stream that...
Except the absolute least voted on piece would always stay at zero votes...
benjamin-benjami likes this.
lordxar5 is online now  
Old 08-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
NJPapi1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Yeah, I tried the connection test. It said that it would work.

I just think it's a bit weird that they wouldn't give you like a 5 minute sample, just to see how it works. Maybe there is a technical challenge with doing something like that.


The only game I can think of streaming, would be Uncharted 2. I never finished Uncharted 2, and I've never even touched Uncharted 3. I wouldn't mind streaming Uncharted 2, but if there was any lag at all, any degradation in the video quality or anything, then I would be seriously disappointed. If there was zero lag, and zero image quality loss (at least to my perceptions of it), then I would be seriously impressed. Still, I'm more interested in using this service as a way to rent PS4 games. I'm just not that excited about playing PS3 games right now.

I'd pay $5 to be able to play Uncharted 2 for like 20 days. It would be worth the opportunity to test the system out, but other than that, I guess I'm just going to turn a blind eye to PS Now. Instead, I'm going to jump on the EA / XB1 bandwagon ! Lol... just kidding... sorta.

Why would they want you to test it for 5 minutes. As long as your internet speed says it is good then it would work.The beta for early people let them know that it would work if you pass the internet test

And if you think Uncharted streamed on this service is not taking a hit graphically then you are setting yourself up.
NJPapi1977 is offline  
Old 08-04-2014, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post
Why would they want you to test it for 5 minutes.
So, I could see for myself that the technology actually works.

It's just a free sample. A quick demo just to see that the streaming works, and how good the video quality is, how bad (or not) the lag is. I think it's almost insane that they don't have any short free demo of it. I'm not going to pay 4 bucks to see that it sucks.
Anthony1 is online now  
Old 08-04-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Big Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Palmetto, FL
Posts: 1,882
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 215
They've done 30 minute trials on the PS3 for select PSN games for Plus members for some time. I don't see why they couldn't do something similar for PS Now.
Big Brad is offline  
Old 08-05-2014, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
They've done 30 minute trials on the PS3 for select PSN games for Plus members for some time. I don't see why they couldn't do something similar for PS Now.
If they are charging $3 for 4 hours, then I could see them not wanting to give 30 minutes away, but at least let people try it out for 5 minutes. Just long enough to see that it works good.
Anthony1 is online now  
Old 08-05-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,346
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
So, I could see for myself that the technology actually works.

It's just a free sample. A quick demo just to see that the streaming works, and how good the video quality is, how bad (or not) the lag is. I think it's almost insane that they don't have any short free demo of it. I'm not going to pay 4 bucks to see that it sucks.
It's a streaming game service. Unfortunately, no matter how good it is it can't be as good as playing locally.
aaronwt is offline  
Old 08-05-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dashboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montréal, Québec
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I'm on the boat!!!!! My girlfriend got me the Destiny's Bundle for my 30th birthday so I will have it shipped on september 9th

Already bought TLoU remastered and Infamous SS Limited Edition
icelt and Nayan like this.
Dashboard is online now  
Old 08-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
icelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 230
For a console, it really is a pretty cool piece of kit! Disclaimer... IMHO

Just be ready to wait a good 30 mins or so probably will all the initial OS and game patches you'll likely have to download and install. After that it's a pretty snappy system all things considered.

Congrats and welcome to a long month of waiting.

Edit...
Oh yeah and don't forget that for Destiny you'll pretty much be required to have PS+ to enjoy the nature of the always online gameplay. Keep your eye out for sales and you just might be able to pick it up for $30 to $40 bucks instead of the the standard $49.99 per 12 months (or the Canadian equivalent obviously).
Dashboard likes this.

Last edited by icelt; 08-05-2014 at 09:23 AM.
icelt is offline  
Old 08-05-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dashboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montréal, Québec
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post
For a console, it really is a pretty cool piece of kit! Disclaimer... IMHO

Just be ready to wait a good 30 mins or so probably will all the initial OS and game patches you'll likely have to download and install. After that it's a pretty snappy system all things considered.

Congrats and welcome to a long month of waiting.

Edit...
Oh yeah and don't forget that for Destiny you'll pretty much be required to have PS+ to enjoy the nature of the always online gameplay. Keep your eye out for sales and you just might be able to pick it up for $30 to $40 bucks instead of the the standard $49.99 per 12 months (or the Canadian equivalent obviously).
Yeah September 9 can't come soon enough!

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm already a PS+ member so I have a good loads of PS4 games also and I just got back from a trip to the US and had money left.. so I bought 2 PS+ cards on sale a 39,99$
Dashboard is online now  
Old 08-05-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post
Yeah September 9 can't come soon enough!

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm already a PS+ member so I have a good loads of PS4 games also and I just got back from a trip to the US and had money left.. so I bought 2 PS+ cards on sale a 39,99$
Welcome loyalist scum
icelt and Nayan like this.
freemeat is offline  
Old 08-05-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dashboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montréal, Québec
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
Welcome loyalist scum
I feel dirty tho... I was at Osheaga this weekend and I played the Xbox One in the promotional booth

Dashboard is online now  
Old 08-05-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post
I feel dirty tho... I was at Osheaga this weekend and I played the Xbox One in the demo box!

To repent you must play through The Last of Us on grounded mode jk, no way I'm putting myself through that kind of stress.
freemeat is offline  
Old 08-05-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dashboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montréal, Québec
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
To repent you must play through The Last of Us on grounded mode jk, no way I'm putting myself through that kind of stress.
I would... but I don't have the PS4 yet... but I bought the game on launch day last week, still unwrapped looking at me

Good thing I skipped playing it on the PS3.
freemeat likes this.
Dashboard is online now  
Old 08-05-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Louis
Posts: 2,109
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Survival mode is aggravating enough, I don't even want to think about grounded.
Abaddon is online now  
Old 08-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Kenshiro 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the Singularity of a Black Hole
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Just finished this mod for the Dual Shock 4. All in all an excellent easy to do mod which improves the controller greatly.


PSN Username - Kenshiro26
XBOX LIVE Gamertag - Kenshiro 26
Steam Username - Kenshiro_26
Origin ID - Kenshiro26
Kenshiro 26 is online now  
 

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Console , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 4 Games , Sony
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off