PlayStation 4 - Page 592 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #17731 of 17757 Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lordxar5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Yea its definitely more helpful to know starting numbers. Ben took the factual route so I'll take the low (brow) road. A woman will always be 30% more satisfied but 30% added to 6 inches is better than 30% added to 4 inches.



Wait, what was your sick mind thinking...I was talking about purses!
lordxar5 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17732 of 17757 Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM
Senior Member
 
icelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Lol they categorize purses in inches?!
icelt is online now  
post #17733 of 17757 Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
Even if there were 1 mil pre-existing pre-orders, 30% increase is only ~300k. Not a small number but considering there likely were 3 mil or so PS4 potential purchases the deal still doesn't do much for CD or SE. I recall another X1 exclusive seeing a "significant" increase in pre-orders after it was announced as being exclusive and we still don't know the number of sales. For all we know the pre-existing pre-orders might have been on PC and PS4. Obviously final sales will matter, but I just don't think this is a going to mean much.

There's no saying where those preorders for TR went. It's still coming out on multiple platforms.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #17734 of 17757 Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,131
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 646
But how many people will actually purchase it? Just because the pre-ordered it does not mean they will get the game. A pre-order can be canelled. Well I guess from retail. A digital Download can't be cancelled though.

On that note. I preordered Infamous: First Light last night from the PSN.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme


Last edited by aaronwt; Yesterday at 09:50 AM.
aaronwt is online now  
post #17735 of 17757 Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Very excited about the release of Uncharted 4 and FarCry 4 and curious if there's an advantage to buying it and downloading from the PlayStation Store vs disks from Amazon?
mbroadus is offline  
post #17736 of 17757 Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Big Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Palmetto, FL
Posts: 1,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 173
You won't have to swap discs out and you won't need a place to store the disc. Those are really the only advantages.
Big Brad is online now  
post #17737 of 17757 Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
brwsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 64
You won't have a disk to keep, re load, sell, give away, use for target practice etc.
And you get to buy it again when Sony drops the ball and loses your proof of purchase (you never know).



I'm bitter.

Working hard, hardly working
brwsaw is online now  
post #17738 of 17757 Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,131
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
You won't have to swap discs out and you won't need a place to store the disc. Those are really the only advantages.
Which can be a pretty big advantage, depending on your point of view.

I'm in the digital camp. I can't stand dealing with game discs. So with this Gen the only game discs I will use are rentals. Anything I buy is digital.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #17739 of 17757 Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Wtf happened to the forum? It is a mess on mobile...

Oh good, I can turn that crap off.

Oh... I have to turn it off everytime I come back to the forum... fix this crap now AVS.

Last edited by PENDRAG0ON; Yesterday at 04:30 PM.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #17740 of 17757 Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lordxar5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post
Wtf happened to the forum? It is a mess on mobile...

Oh good, I can turn that crap off.

Oh... I have to turn it off everytime I come back to the forum... fix this crap now AVS.
Get Tapatalk...much easier
ambesolman likes this.
lordxar5 is online now  
post #17741 of 17757 Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lordxar5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Which can be a pretty big advantage, depending on your point of view.

I'm in the digital camp. I can't stand dealing with game discs. So with this Gen the only game discs I will use are rentals. Anything I buy is digital.
Yup. When you start going digital its addicting. Really nice to just pick something and go.
lordxar5 is online now  
post #17742 of 17757 Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
brwsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post
Wtf happened to the forum? It is a mess on mobile...

Oh good, I can turn that crap off.

Oh... I have to turn it off everytime I come back to the forum... fix this crap now AVS.

I thought it was me...I turned off my S4


It can be turned off. Top left corner,bottom of options to select another view

Last edited by brwsaw; Yesterday at 09:41 PM.
brwsaw is online now  
post #17743 of 17757 Old Today, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Louis
Posts: 1,922
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
Yup. When you start going digital its addicting. Really nice to just pick something and go.
I have a GameStop about 10 minutes walk away from me. Picked up PvZ and after a very short internal debate I just walked over and got it. Was a nice walk, and good thing I got that in because it's going to be 99 with a heat index of 105+ today
Abaddon is online now  
post #17744 of 17757 Old Today, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Where is the P.T. / Silent Hill scary demo people are talking about? I don't see it listed in PS4 demos. Is it called something else? Thanks!
lovingdvd is offline  
post #17745 of 17757 Old Today, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Epyon415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Where is the P.T. / Silent Hill scary demo people are talking about? I don't see it listed in PS4 demos. Is it called something else? Thanks!
Check the whats new section in the store (or featured, whatever they call it). Found it there, not in demos.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
Epyon415 is online now  
post #17746 of 17757 Old Today, 10:18 AM
Senior Member
 
icelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
I have a GameStop about 10 minutes walk away from me. Picked up PvZ and after a very short internal debate I just walked over and got it. Was a nice walk, and good thing I got that in because it's going to be 99 with a heat index of 105+ today
Down here in Tejas that's the norm... at midnight! Lol.

Actually there are evenings when the thermometer has read 95+ at midnight. I've never been able to acclimate to this state's insane summer weather. Fortunately gaming is a fine AC friendly sport.
icelt is online now  
post #17747 of 17757 Old Today, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Crash44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Very excited about the release of Uncharted 4 and FarCry 4 and curious if there's an advantage to buying it and downloading from the PlayStation Store vs disks from Amazon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
You won't have to swap discs out and you won't need a place to store the disc. Those are really the only advantages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post
You won't have a disk to keep, re load, sell, give away, use for target practice etc.
And you get to buy it again when Sony drops the ball and loses your proof of purchase (you never know).



I'm bitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Which can be a pretty big advantage, depending on your point of view.

I'm in the digital camp. I can't stand dealing with game discs. So with this Gen the only game discs I will use are rentals. Anything I buy is digital.
Earlier this year I lost access to my download list and DLC on PS4- Sony did help me straighten it out after a week- which was a big inconvenience and I only have a very few digital only games. It did teach me the value of having a copy in hand that is not affected by the state of the of the PSN on a given day. It also showed me how little value digital titles hold after you pay full price for them. And that's the other thing: the items with no disc, packaging, shipping, or warehouse requirements are sold to you for the same prices as those with. The myth that digital download will mean cheaper games is officially over.

If you plan on keeping your software for a length of time, and want the best value for your money, then on disc is the only way to fly.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
Crash44 is online now  
post #17748 of 17757 Old Today, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
brwsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Why can't we choose to allow DRM (turn on/off on request) and have discs in storage while being able to change games on the fly?
Allow me to purchase digital and send me a hard copy. This is a choice they are making not one I believe is bet for the consumer.

Working hard, hardly working

Last edited by brwsaw; Today at 02:44 PM.
brwsaw is online now  
post #17749 of 17757 Old Today, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lordxar5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 395
This consumer likes to choose between disc and digital and enjoys both. What irritates me is when I'm iffy on a game and buy it on disc and regret not going digital, KZ, or I'm confident and go digital only to regret it, BF4.
lordxar5 is online now  
post #17750 of 17757 Old Today, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Why don't they they just sell the digital copy with the disk like they do for movies?
ambesolman is online now  
post #17751 of 17757 Old Today, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
PlayStation 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Why don't they they just sell the digital copy with the disk like they do for movies?

Because they're afraid you'll sell the disc and just play the digital copy. The secondary market for movies is much smaller, the titles much cheaper, and the digital copy is lower quality. So it's a legitimate fear.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510

Last edited by bd2003; Today at 12:20 PM.
bd2003 is online now  
post #17752 of 17757 Old Today, 01:11 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,131
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post
Earlier this year I lost access to my download list and DLC on PS4- Sony did help me straighten it out after a week- which was a big inconvenience and I only have a very few digital only games. It did teach me the value of having a copy in hand that is not affected by the state of the of the PSN on a given day. It also showed me how little value digital titles hold after you pay full price for them. And that's the other thing: the items with no disc, packaging, shipping, or warehouse requirements are sold to you for the same prices as those with. The myth that digital download will mean cheaper games is officially over.

If you plan on keeping your software for a length of time, and want the best value for your money, then on disc is the only way to fly.
I've yet to have any problems with the digital movies and Tv shows I have purchased over the last six or seven years from Xbox Live, PSN, Vudu, and Amazon. I still have access to all the content I purchased back then. So I'm not worried about the digital game content. For me the benefits outweigh any potential risks. I'll pay $20 for a digital download over getting that same game free on a disc. I will only use game discs on rentals. Any games I buy this gen will only be a digital version. I really hated dealing with the game discs last gen. So I made the decision to only buy digital versions this gen. And so far I have been pleased with that decision.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme


Last edited by aaronwt; Today at 01:14 PM.
aaronwt is online now  
post #17753 of 17757 Old Today, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Crash44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Any games I buy this gen will only be a digital version. I really hated dealing with the game discs last gen.
OK, I'll bite.

Why the hate?

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
Crash44 is online now  
post #17754 of 17757 Old Today, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've yet to have any problems with the digital movies and Tv shows I have purchased over the last six or seven years from Xbox Live, PSN, Vudu, and Amazon. I still have access to all the content I purchased back then. So I'm not worried about the digital game content. For me the benefits outweigh any potential risks. I'll pay $20 for a digital download over getting that same game free on a disc. I will only use game discs on rentals. Any games I buy this gen will only be a digital version. I really hated dealing with the game discs last gen. So I made the decision to only buy digital versions this gen. And so far I have been pleased with that decision.

I honestly can't say the same thing - my Wii kicked the bucket, and it took all my virtual console games with it. My 360 is also starting to show it's age, and when it goes, I'm not buying another. Fortunately I didn't buy any full priced digital games on it, but the XBLA stuff will feel like a loss. Even if my 360 remains functional for years to come, since they're on a platform I'm very unlikely to turn on, it feels like those games are locked away in a closet.

I'm done buying digital content for closed platforms tied to specific hardware. I'm still going to purchase from cross platform stores like amazon or steam for use on open platforms, since they don't have an expiration date.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #17755 of 17757 Old Today, 01:50 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,131
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post
OK, I'll bite.

Why the hate?
Dealing with discs slows things down. Plus I don't need to search through the games, get the disc, put it in, wait for it to spin up etc. With the XBOne I just say the name of the game and it starts. With the PS4 I just select the game with the controller and it starts. I think It's a much more fluid experience dealing with digital content than dealing with discs.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #17756 of 17757 Old Today, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Louis
Posts: 1,922
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post
Down here in Tejas that's the norm... at midnight! Lol.

Actually there are evenings when the thermometer has read 95+ at midnight. I've never been able to acclimate to this state's insane summer weather. Fortunately gaming is a fine AC friendly sport.
Lived in Texas for six years and yeah it is hot there in the summer. Normally summers are hot here but the last two (counting this one) have been really mild outside a couple of weeks in August.
Abaddon is online now  
post #17757 of 17757 Old Today, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lordxar5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 395
I visited San Antonio for work once. 85 degrees at 7 am with high humidity sucked....hard. I thought Illinois was bad on heat and humidity. Sheesh....
lordxar5 is online now  
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off