AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
PlayStation 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post
I hadn't even considered the console....this solidifies my want/need of physical sales/purchases.

I have (hate) to admit I haven't swapped a game disc in a while.

Yeah, neither have I....although that's because I haven't bought a console game in over a year. I've just been buying/playing digital PC games...quite a bit of them from "last gen". It's def way more convenient not to have to juggle discs, it's even nicer not to have to swap consoles just to play a game I bought last year.

You're not saving the trouble so much as pushing it down the line. I learned that lesson just in the nick of time....a year ago it was inconceivable that I'd ever want to play games on anything but a PS4, and that changed very rapidly for me. Having all my 360 games in a physical form that I could resell and convert my library to digital PC games was worth every bit of the annoyance of swapping discs all those years.

Whether you buy a PC today, an Xbox tomorrow or a PS5 a few years from now....one day you will move on from the PS4, and chances are you won't be able to play those games without some amount of inconvenience.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17762 of 17769 Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
Would be nice if digital games on console worked like mobile does. At least Apple/Android stuff rolls up on new hardware and works on tablets and phones. Now that were x86 hopefully things will be that way.

Hopefully...there's definitely a good chance of it. But not even Sony can yet say for sure that the PS5 will have BC, when it'll be out, or that it will even exist. And when it does, will I even want one?

I'm not comfortable enough with those unanswered questions to buy digital on PS4. OTOH, short of a nuclear apocalypse, I think it's safe to say PCs will exist 5 years from now, so I'm on board with steam/origin/whatever. I'll def reconsider buying from PSN if it ever goes cross platform.

post #17763 of 17769 Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Yeah, neither have I....although that's because I haven't bought a console game in over a year. I've just been buying/playing digital PC games...quite a bit of them from "last gen". It's def way more convenient not to have to juggle discs, it's even nicer not to have to swap consoles just to play a game I bought last year.

You're not saving the trouble so much as pushing it down the line. I learned that lesson just in the nick of time....a year ago it was inconceivable that I'd ever want to play games on anything but a PS4, and that changed very rapidly for me. Having all my 360 games in a physical form that I could resell and convert my library to digital PC games was worth every bit of the annoyance of swapping discs all those years.

Whether you buy a PC today, an Xbox tomorrow or a PS5 a few years from now....one day you will move on from the PS4, and chances are you won't be able to play those games without some amount of inconvenience.
When I move on to next gen, the previous gen will be basically dead to me. I still have a 360 and I've turned it on a few times to play Forza Horizon. But that is it. I don't really have much desire to play any games on older systems. Of course backward compatibility is always nice though. So maybe when the next gen comes out the digital rights from the old system will transfer to the new one. Whether it does or not though, I am fine with it either way.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #17764 of 17769 Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Hopefully...there's definitely a good chance of it. But not even Sony can yet say for sure that the PS5 will have BC, when it'll be out, or that it will even exist. And when it does, will I even want one?

I'm not comfortable enough with those unanswered questions to buy digital on PS4. OTOH, short of a nuclear apocalypse, I think it's safe to say PCs will exist 5 years from now, so I'm on board with steam/origin/whatever. I'll def reconsider buying from PSN if it ever goes cross platform.
I bought a bunch of Apple stuff across two phone gens then went Android ditching what I'd previously bought. So in essence I lost out but got a ipad for work and most was still usable. Digital has a cost no doubt but depending on content its a cost I'm willing to pay.
post #17765 of 17769 Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I bought a bunch of Apple stuff across two phone gens then went Android ditching what I'd previously bought. So in essence I lost out but got a ipad for work and most was still usable. Digital has a cost no doubt but depending on content its a cost I'm willing to pay.
Yeah, same here. Bought some mac app store stuff, went back to windows and can't use it. Bought some iOS stuff, then bought similar Android stuff, then went back to iOS. It's annoying, but we're talking about apps that cost a few bucks at most. I have higher expectations from a $60 game than a .99c app.

It's really frustrating for some games - I'm def buying COD:AW this year and I still can't decide which platform to buy it. I'd rather play campaign and quick MP on my PC, but most of the time I'd going to want to laze on the couch with a controller and play MP. And that's not gonna fly with COD on PC. Even if I bought both, I still can't maintain a unified profile....sigh. Most likely I'll just buy the PS4 disc and resell it for the steam version when I get sick of the MP. If I could buy it digital on PSN but still play on PC, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

post #17766 of 17769 Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Man I'm iffy on COD. I loved the Ghosts campaign but MP was meh. Kind of want digital but IDK...up in the air.
post #17767 of 17769 Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Man I'm iffy on COD. I loved the Ghosts campaign but MP was meh. Kind of want digital but IDK...up in the air.
that is why you buy physical. i bought ghosts played it for a while, got bored and then traded it in for 30-40 dollars (can't remember)....
post #17768 of 17769 Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post
that is why you buy physical. i bought ghosts played it for a while, got bored and then traded it in for 30-40 dollars (can't remember)....
Yeah, it was the only cod I never bought any maps for. I thought the game was fine but I had no one to play with on PS4. It's actually the only PS4 game I bought, and I totally regret buying it digital.

post #17769 of 17769 Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Got mine digitally and I don't mind the digital aspect. Still play it some but you die way too fast. Lag a frame and dead. I remember being able to at least grab cover in previous COD. Love love love infected mode!
post #17770 of 17769 Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
When I move on to next gen, the previous gen will be basically dead to me. I still have a 360 and I've turned it on a few times to play Forza Horizon. But that is it. I don't really have much desire to play any games on older systems. Of course backward compatibility is always nice though. So maybe when the next gen comes out the digital rights from the old system will transfer to the new one. Whether it does or not though, I am fine with it either way.

Hopefully you won't end up regretting it. It is a little more cut and dry on console than on PC....truthfully, if I had to actually dig out an old console, controller and disc to fire up an old game that still looks the same as it did years ago, I'd never do it.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page