PlayStation 4 - Page 608 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #18211 of 18240 Old 10-20-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
Still no DLNA


So sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild View Post
Launch day controllers here and the PS4 is played daily. No issues at all with the peeling. They still look just as good as day 1. DS4 is also a fantastic controller. One of the best.
Same and I have I used a DS4 on my PS3 heavily as well. Looks flawless.

The battery does seem to last longer on the PS3, I am thinking less functionality (no speaker use and probably some other things as well)with the PS3 is the reason.
freemeat is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18212 of 18240 Old 10-20-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cravit8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Is there a Blu Ray type remote for the PS4 ? Like they had with the PS3 ? This issue is really pissing me off, because my wife and kids use it for Netflix / Amazon, and then I come home and want to play a game for an hour or so, and all my freaking controllers are dead.

Just very irritating.

Oh lol, until you said this I was wondering why you had so much angst with the controller, makes sense now. If I came home to dead controllers I would be bummed too, then the next day I would hide one of the controllers.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Cravit8 is offline  
post #18213 of 18240 Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM
Member
 
Evan E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've noticed the DS4s don't turn off if they're jostled at all. If I'm not using them, but have them on my lap or on the couch, they won't turn off. They only turn off if I leave them on a table or the floor, or some surface that doesn't move at all.
Evan E is online now  
post #18214 of 18240 Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Send a message via MSN to jdiaz222
Anyone hear if they will be introducing DNLA support soon on the PS4? Really would like to stop using my PS3 to stream from my media server...
jdiaz222 is online now  
post #18215 of 18240 Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
joeblow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Assume that it isn't coming until Sony at least mentions it (which they haven't AFAIK).

~~~

Add me to the list of victims whose thumbsticks are wearing out onlaunch DS4 controllers. The left stick on one of mine is partially worn to the plastic bone. I notice that the newer controllers have a different texture feel to them. I guess (hope) the issue is solved.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

joeblow is online now  
post #18216 of 18240 Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
d_m1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Exposure Canada
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Just bought a PS TV and I am updating it now. I'm looking forward to remote play, FF7, and RE2 on this thing. I like playing on the Vita, but it will be nice to have a large screen.
d_m1010 is online now  
post #18217 of 18240 Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM
Member
 
chmorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Webster, Mn
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post
Just bought a PS TV and I am updating it now. I'm looking forward to remote play, FF7, and RE2 on this thing. I like playing on the Vita, but it will be nice to have a large screen.
Cool. Looking forward to hearing your impressions of it.
d_m1010 likes this.

XBL: octavarium1/PSN:octavarium1970
chmorgan is online now  
post #18218 of 18240 Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tfoltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 3,530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz222 View Post
Anyone hear if they will be introducing DNLA support soon on the PS4? Really would like to stop using my PS3 to stream from my media server...
Get a Fire TV and install xbmc. I gave up on PS4.
tfoltz is offline  
post #18219 of 18240 Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lordxar5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,669
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post
Just bought a PS TV and I am updating it now. I'm looking forward to remote play, FF7, and RE2 on this thing. I like playing on the Vita, but it will be nice to have a large screen.
Nice. I do want one of these.
lordxar5 is online now  
post #18220 of 18240 Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
d_m1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Exposure Canada
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Wow the PS TV is fantastic. I was just playing Limbo and it looks and plays amazingly. I'm glad I picked it up.
d_m1010 is online now  
post #18221 of 18240 Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
icelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post
Add me to the list of victims whose thumbsticks are wearing out onlaunch DS4 controllers. The left stick on one of mine is partially worn to the plastic bone. I notice that the newer controllers have a different texture feel to them. I guess (hope) the issue is solved.
Mee too. Spoke with Sony tech support this afternoon and they quickly authorized a RMA for my launch edition DS4. Luckily the nearest repair center is in the same state so it should only take maybe a week for the full turn around. Not ideal to have to send it back but at least they didn't try and weasel out of responsibility.
icelt is online now  
post #18222 of 18240 Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
joeblow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Thanks for the tip! I'll call 'em tomorrow morning.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

joeblow is online now  
post #18223 of 18240 Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Mud76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post
Mee too. Spoke with Sony tech support this afternoon and they quickly authorized a RMA for my launch edition DS4. Luckily the nearest repair center is in the same state so it should only take maybe a week for the full turn around. Not ideal to have to send it back but at least they didn't try and weasel out of responsibility.
I finally took my second faulty controller back (second one to have the rubber peel off the left thumbstick)
The girl at EB Games was happy to exchange it, she said something about there being a second gen version out now with a slightly different rubber on the thumbsticks.

she also said they've dropped in price by $10, so you get a $10 credit.
not sure how that works out, but I didnt complain

PSN Brown-Corolla
Mud76 is online now  
post #18224 of 18240 Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM
Senior Member
 
AncientAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Haven't followed this thread in a while. I just bought a new tv that has 3D. Does the PS4 do 3D blu ray playback?
Also, is there a way to turn off the controller when watching netflix or blu ray?
AncientAlien is online now  
post #18225 of 18240 Old Today, 07:05 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,665
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post
Haven't followed this thread in a while. I just bought a new tv that has 3D. Does the PS4 do 3D blu ray playback?
Also, is there a way to turn off the controller when watching netflix or blu ray?
Yes the PS4 can play back a 3D BD now. The controller issue was just talked about this week. I only know that mine is set to turn off after ten minutes of no use. But whether playing a game or watching video content my controller will always be in use.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
post #18226 of 18240 Old Today, 07:17 AM
Senior Member
 
AncientAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post
Haven't followed this thread in a while. I just bought a new tv that has 3D. Does the PS4 do 3D blu ray playback?
Also, is there a way to turn off the controller when watching netflix or blu ray?
Yes the PS4 can play back a 3D BD now. The controller issue was just talked about this week. I only know that mine is set to turn off after ten minutes of no use. But whether playing a game or watching video content my controller will always be in use.
Thanks.
AncientAlien is online now  
post #18227 of 18240 Old Today, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Yeah, Sony needs to figure something out in regards to Netflix / Amazon users. I would think the number of complaints that they would be recieving would be off the charts.

See, what happened in my situation, is that I've had my Xbox One in my living room for the last couple of months. My wife and kids have been using the XB1 for Netflix / Amazon. I decided to move the XB1 into my theater room for a little bit, and move the PS4 into my living room. So, my kids and wife have been using the PS4 now for Netflix / Amazon. I never had a problem with controllers dying on my XB1 with them watching Netflix. Reason why, is because with the XB1, the controllers turn off very quickly when not being used.

For example, my wife would be watching an episode of "The Good Wife", and as soon as she started up the episode, like a few minutes later, the XB1 controller would turn off. Thus, no problems with the batteries draining. With the PS4, for whatever reason, it doesn't work like this. Which is absolutely maddening.

You have to actually manually force your controller to turn off. Which normally wouldn't be that big of an issue, but it takes like 3 or 4 button presses to actually do this, and the TV program that you are watching is continuing to play while you're trying to hit all the various buttons to turn the damn thing off. This really sucks, because you actually miss like the first 30 seconds of the TV program that you are watching, because the PS4 puts an overlay on the screen for "adjust devices" or whatever, so while you hear the TV program playing, you can't see the damn program.

It's just freaking maddening. I can't believe that this is the way the PS4 handles this issue. I would think the complaints that Sony would get from this would have prompted them to make some type of changes to how they do this, yet the PS4 has been available for nearly a year, and surely this has been a huge problem for all that time.

The only reason why I haven't noticed it unitl now, is because we've always had the XB1 in the living room, and that is where we mostly watch Netflix / Amazon, so until I recently switched systems, I would have never noticed this. ( I watch Netlix / Amazon via my PC in my theater room)
Anthony1 is offline  
post #18228 of 18240 Old Today, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Any plans for Sony to come out with a PS4 remote similar to the PS3 remote?
mbroadus is online now  
post #18229 of 18240 Old Today, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,504
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Any plans for Sony to come out with a PS4 remote similar to the PS3 remote?

Why would they?


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
ambesolman is online now  
post #18230 of 18240 Old Today, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Louis
Posts: 1,959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I don't know what's going on but my controller turns off like it is supposed to when watching Netflix or Amazon. I know this for sure because it pops up an annoying message telling me it is doing it .
Abaddon is offline  
post #18231 of 18240 Old Today, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
curtlots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northeast WI
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Any plans for Sony to come out with a PS4 remote similar to the PS3 remote?
I sure hope so. The DS4 sucks as a remote for movies and Netflix. I always turn mine upside down, so I don't accidentally trigger the L2 or R2 buttons, and turn it so the light shines away from me.
curtlots is offline  
post #18232 of 18240 Old Today, 10:33 AM
Member
 
Rgdeuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The desert
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Anthony1 is one of my three favorite posters
Rgdeuce is offline  
post #18233 of 18240 Old Today, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Smigro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Why would they?


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
The question is why wouldn't they? There is absolutely no reason why they cannot

  • make a stand alone BD remote
  • let a 3rd party manufacturer make one
  • allow Harmony users a way to use their universal remotes
Smigro is offline  
post #18234 of 18240 Old Today, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
The question is why wouldn't they? There is absolutely no reason why they cannot

  • make a stand alone BD remote
  • let a 3rd party manufacturer make one
  • allow Harmony users a way to use their universal remotes

There's no reason it couldn't play CDs or work with BT headsets either, but that's the ps4 for you.
Smigro and Cravit8 like this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #18235 of 18240 Old Today, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Crash44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 94
http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...ification.html
Quote:
You can set the amount of time the controller is not operated before it is automatically turned off. Select [Power Save Settings] > [Turn Off Controllers Automatically].
Shortest time is 10 minutes to turn off. I think default is never so you gotta change that one. The message that flashes I think we're stuck with though lol.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
Crash44 is online now  
post #18236 of 18240 Old Today, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,504
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
The question is why wouldn't they? There is absolutely no reason why they cannot

  • make a stand alone BD remote
  • let a 3rd party manufacturer make one
  • allow Harmony users a way to use their universal remotes

That is my bad, I misread his question. Thought he meant the controller[emoji53]


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
ambesolman is online now  
post #18237 of 18240 Old Today, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Smigro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
That is my bad, I misread his question. Thought he meant the controller[emoji53]


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
No worries!!
Smigro is offline  
post #18238 of 18240 Old Today, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cravit8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
I don't know what's going on but my controller turns off like it is supposed to when watching Netflix or Amazon. I know this for sure because it pops up an annoying message telling me it is doing it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
My ds4. One owner, one user, 3 games and zero multiplayer later...
removed pics for space

Last time I am mentioning, I swear. But the best stick ever made? I have been gaming since the late 70's and this stick, as much as I like my ps4 ... the ds4 is junk.
I apologize if my "just stop" comment was offensive, I replied thinking you were one of 2-3 lone xbox fanboys (this tech site is the most objective one I'm on).
I replaced 3 of my controllers to those exact spots as in your pictures. @Yrd also replaced the sticks.
It's anectdotale, but I'm starting to see a trend in people's experience with the rubber coming off to how the thumbstick is used.

@Yrd showed a pic of how he puts his thumb on it (the outer lower rim), while I can't do that to the new metal sticks I got because my thumb slips too much, it made me realize that's how I used my rubber sticks. I have since changed my thumb style to cover the whole thumbstick (both on my rubber and metal sticks) and I can feel when I push forward then click I am more evenly distributing the force over the whole thumbstick whereas before I would mash that one lower ridge.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Cravit8 is offline  
post #18239 of 18240 Old Today, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Big Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Palmetto, FL
Posts: 1,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Yeah, Sony needs to figure something out in regards to Netflix / Amazon users. I would think the number of complaints that they would be recieving would be off the charts.

See, what happened in my situation, is that I've had my Xbox One in my living room for the last couple of months. My wife and kids have been using the XB1 for Netflix / Amazon. I decided to move the XB1 into my theater room for a little bit, and move the PS4 into my living room. So, my kids and wife have been using the PS4 now for Netflix / Amazon. I never had a problem with controllers dying on my XB1 with them watching Netflix. Reason why, is because with the XB1, the controllers turn off very quickly when not being used.

For example, my wife would be watching an episode of "The Good Wife", and as soon as she started up the episode, like a few minutes later, the XB1 controller would turn off. Thus, no problems with the batteries draining. With the PS4, for whatever reason, it doesn't work like this. Which is absolutely maddening.

You have to actually manually force your controller to turn off. Which normally wouldn't be that big of an issue, but it takes like 3 or 4 button presses to actually do this, and the TV program that you are watching is continuing to play while you're trying to hit all the various buttons to turn the damn thing off. This really sucks, because you actually miss like the first 30 seconds of the TV program that you are watching, because the PS4 puts an overlay on the screen for "adjust devices" or whatever, so while you hear the TV program playing, you can't see the damn program.

It's just freaking maddening. I can't believe that this is the way the PS4 handles this issue. I would think the complaints that Sony would get from this would have prompted them to make some type of changes to how they do this, yet the PS4 has been available for nearly a year, and surely this has been a huge problem for all that time.

The only reason why I haven't noticed it unitl now, is because we've always had the XB1 in the living room, and that is where we mostly watch Netflix / Amazon, so until I recently switched systems, I would have never noticed this. ( I watch Netlix / Amazon via my PC in my theater room)
This has to be the most overly dramatic reaction to controller battery life I've ever read. Congratulations!

Why not get one of those chargers where you can charge two controllers at once? Heck, why not get two so you can have 4 controllers charged. That way you'll always have a controller ready to go. Problem solved.
freemeat and tlalotoani like this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Big Brad is offline  
post #18240 of 18240 Old Today, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
freemeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 567
http://gematsu.com/2014/10/sony-hold...event-december

Sony to hold PlayStation Experience event in December


Sony has announced PlayStation Experience, a new event set to be held from December 6 to 7 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The event will offer two days of PlayStation gaming, content, and activities, including “in-depth panels,” the opportunity to meet the developers and purchase rare collectibles, hands-on gameplay demos of upcoming PlayStation games, free swag, and “an exclusive first look at what’s coming next in 2015,” which PlayStation Blog senior manager Sid Shuman teases, “I am told you will not want to miss.”
If you’re interested in attending, details on how you can be part of the event will be released on October 20. Tickets will cost $50 for a one-day pass, and $90 for a two-day pass. Attendees must be 18 or older.
Of course, if you can’t make the event, the PlayStation Blog will be offering “comprehensive coverage” of the event, including “breaking news as well as live video through multiple distribution channels.”
Stay tuned for further details.


Read more at http://gematsu.com/2014/10/sony-hold...mQzydTLUGQo.99
freemeat is online now  
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off