post #18241 of 18268 Old 10-22-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E View Post
That isn't the way the PS4 handles it. Set the controllers to turn off after 10 minutes, and they will turn off after 10 minutes. The caveat is that you can't jostle them, or they'll re-start their 10 minute countdown timer, because they'll detect the motion as "using" the controller. So put them down on a stable surface like the floor or a table. If you leave them in your lap or on the couch, they'll likely never turn off.
That may be why mine second one stays on...maybe. It's easy enough to manually shutoff now since that patch, months ago, without disturbing Netflix so meh, non issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18242 of 18268 Old 10-22-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
That isn't the way the PS4 handles it. Set the controllers to turn off after 10 minutes, and they will turn off after 10 minutes. The caveat is that you can't jostle them, or they'll re-start their 10 minute countdown timer, because they'll detect the motion as "using" the controller. So put them down on a stable surface like the floor or a table. If you leave them in your lap or on the couch, they'll likely never turn off.

Which is why we need a PS4 remote for movies and apps.
post #18243 of 18268 Old 10-22-2014, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgdeuce View Post
Anthony1 is one of my three favorite posters
Farrah is still my favorite, but what the hell, I'll also put Anthony1 in my top three.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	325466  
post #18244 of 18268 Old 10-22-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

Ok, I'll try the flat surface thing and see if it works.

Big Brad - Yeah, I can admit to overreacting a bit. It's just been a really irritating thing that I've had to deal with the last couple of days. I know it seems like such a small thing, but sometimes it's the little things that can drive you crazy.
post #18245 of 18268 Old 10-22-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
This has to be the most overly dramatic reaction to controller battery life I've ever read. Congratulations!

Why not get one of those chargers where you can charge two controllers at once? Heck, why not get two so you can have 4 controllers charged. That way you'll always have a controller ready to go. Problem solved.

I think it's a fair criticism, people shouldn't have to keep their controllers constantly docked to watch Netflix because the ds4 has a tiny battery, poor power management and Sony hasn't seen fit to bless us with remote support.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #18246 of 18268 Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
I think it's a fair criticism, people shouldn't have to keep their controllers constantly docked to watch Netflix because the ds4 has a tiny battery, poor power management and Sony hasn't seen fit to bless us with remote support.
Yeah but it is a convenience versus functionality thing. Would it be more convenient if it did this or that? Well sure it would and I think just about all of us would agree on that. However in its present inconvenient at times state it is still perfectly functional and does what it is primarily designed to do quite well. That is serve as a controlling device to interact with gaming software.

This may not be the best analogy in the history of ever, but right now my mind is conjuring the image of a bicycle without a kickstand. Is it more of a pain in the ass to put away when not in use? Sure is. Is it a relatively easy issue to solve via other means? Sure is. Does it make a great bicycle any less great at biking? Sure doesn't.

Just my $0.02.
post #18247 of 18268 Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I opened up one of my ds4's and yanked the ribbon cable off the led. I can get 2 sometimes 3 hours more use between charges. (have to use powerA dock that charges through bottom port as usb is disabled.)
That controller is obviously sending a no button is being pressed at this time command to the PS4 at all times. I suspect it is also recieving and processing the audio signals even if the headphones are not connected. It could also be sending a do not rumble command.
It is baffling. What else could be using so much power when it just sits there on the end table? No Led, no button, no sound, no nothing.
I'll add that what ever tech they are using should be labled as a failure and a flaw. It is bad and they should feel bad. It should not be supported in any future device. I've had the PS4 for close to a year now and the poor batttery life of the DS4 has been it's single biggest flaw and failure.

Last edited by Arcadia88; Yesterday at 11:44 AM. Reason: Mad as hell and no choice but to accept it.
post #18248 of 18268 Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

PlayStation 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post
I opened up one of my ds4's and yanked the ribbon cable off the led. I can get 2 sometimes 3 hours more use between charges. (have to use powerA dock that charges through bottom port as usb is disabled.)
That controller is obviously sending a no button is being pressed at this time command to the PS4 at all times. I suspect it is also recieving and processing the audio signals even if the headphones are not connected. It could also be sending a do not rumble command.
It is baffling. What else could be using so much power when it just sits there on the end table? No Led, no button, no sound, no nothing.
I'll add that what ever tech they are using should be labled as a failure and a flaw. It is bad and they should feel bad. It should not be supported in any future device. I've had the PS4 for close to a year now and the poor batttery life of the DS4 has been it's single biggest flaw and failure.
I imagine all those gyros are sending a constant reading as well. Maybe that's why it doesn't turn off if you nudge it a little?

I mean really, this was an easy problem to solve with a bigger battery. The one that's in there has less than half the capacity of a typical rechargeable AA battery. That's ridiculous for a $60 controller.

The way I see it, by the time it gets to 20% and starts warning you about a low battery, you should still have enough juice to play for a few more hours and finish off your game without worrying about it. Right now it's not a casual "you're gonna need to charge it tonight" warning, it's more like "you're screwed unless you deal with this right now" catastrophe. More than once I've simply not been able to play my PS4 at night because the controller didn't properly seat in that stupid spring loaded dock charger, and it's super picky about which usb cables or ports will charge it. My PS4 is like 15 feet away and behind me so the cable that came in the box is completely useless.

I love everything else about the controller but it's so high maintenance just to keep the damn thing charged.

Last edited by bd2003; Yesterday at 12:16 PM.
post #18249 of 18268 Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 104
post #18250 of 18268 Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
I imagine all those gyros are sending a constant reading as well. Maybe that's why it doesn't turn off if you nudge it a little?

I mean really, this was an easy problem to solve with a bigger battery. The one that's in there has less than half the capacity of a typical rechargeable AA battery. That's ridiculous for a $60 controller.

The way I see it, by the time it gets to 20% and starts warning you about a low battery, you should still have enough juice to play for a few more hours and finish off your game without worrying about it. Right now it's not a casual "you're gonna need to charge it tonight" warning, it's more like "you're screwed unless you deal with this right now" catastrophe. More than once I've simply not been able to play my PS4 at night because the controller didn't properly seat in that stupid spring loaded dock charger, and it's super picky about which usb cables or ports will charge it. My PS4 is like 15 feet away and behind me so the cable that came in the box is completely useless.

I love everything else about the controller but it's so high maintenance just to keep the damn thing charged.
I must say that Ive not had any issues with the controller seating properly on the dual charger I have. You press it down and you hear a click. So far it has worked every time for me. But I can certainly see being pissed if the second controller did not charge. Since you wouldn't be able to play since both controllers would be dead.
post #18251 of 18268 Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Nice, I was just about to post that.

PlayStationVerified account ‏@PlayStation

PS4's next software update, Masamune, will be available on 10/28. Includes Share Play, USB Music player, and more!

post #18252 of 18268 Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I must say that Ive not had any issues with the controller seating properly on the dual charger I have. You press it down and you hear a click. So far it has worked every time for me. But I can certainly see being pissed if the second controller did not charge. Since you wouldn't be able to play since both controllers would be dead.
There are at least two of those dock chargers on the market. One by Energizer (what I have) and another. The energizer one has a big glowing light that makes it obvious if you didn't set it right.

The DS3 didn't seem to have battery issues, maybe they were just constrained in the design after working in the speaker, touchpad and everything else that they couldn't source a battery that was made with enough volume for them.

If that's the weakest point of the controller, I'll take it. With my 2 controllers and Charger cradle thing I've yet to miss a single second of intended game time due to dead batteries. There certainly are worse controller problems that could be had.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #18253 of 18268 Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't agree. Maybe we have drastic different levels of battery performance but:

You get two notices. One that the battery level is low and another that it's about to die any second. On many occasions of finished the night with a "low" battery.
icelt likes this.

post #18254 of 18268 Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I just plug mine in after every gaming session. At first, it was super annoying, but I just adapted and it isn't that big of a deal anymore.
freemeat likes this.
post #18255 of 18268 Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
I don't agree. Maybe we have drastic different levels of battery performance but:

You get two notices. One that the battery level is low and another that it's about to die any second. On many occasions of finished the night with a "low" battery.

I get the level is low warning after maybe 5ish hours, then I've got maybe an hour before the dire warning, and then after a solid 15-20 minutes after that it's dead. I dunno, maybe cause the ps4 is really far and obstructed it has to work harder?

post #18256 of 18268 Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I get the level is low warning after maybe 5ish hours, then I've got maybe an hour before the dire warning, and then after a solid 15-20 minutes after that it's dead. I dunno, maybe cause the ps4 is really far and obstructed it has to work harder?
So you want it to go longer than 20 minutes after the dire warning?

You've just said you have anywhere from 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes after getting the low warning. How is that not reasonable response time? If you want to complain about how you're there after only 5 hours on a fresh charge, thats one thing. But even if it took 30 hours to get "low", there's nothing wrong with 1 hour+ of time to act at that point.

post #18257 of 18268 Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

How many hours are you guys getting on a full charge?
post #18258 of 18268 Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I'd be single if I played 5-6 hours at a time (that would be bad).
freemeat likes this.

Nov.14
post #18259 of 18268 Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
How many hours are you guys getting on a full charge?
8-ish I'd say. So a solid 2 days of Destiny for me by another measure.
post #18260 of 18268 Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So you want it to go longer than 20 minutes after the dire warning?

You've just said you have anywhere from 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes after getting the low warning. How is that not reasonable response time? If you want to complain about how you're there after only 5 hours on a fresh charge, thats one thing. But even if it took 30 hours to get "low", there's nothing wrong with 1 hour+ of time to act at that point.

I want it to last like 3-4 hours after the low warning, because I don't want to have to fully charge it after every session. You know, like a ds3 or Xbox 360/one controller. The only way I have to "act on it" right now is to stop playing, because it's not like I can just swap the batteries and keep playing.

post #18261 of 18268 Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post
8-ish I'd say. So a solid 2 days of Destiny for me by another measure.

Thanks, I only play 4-5 hours at a time once a week, twice a week if I'm lucky.

Last edited by mbroadus; Today at 08:45 AM.
post #18262 of 18268 Unread Yesterday, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post
My money is on the bluetooth speaker. It has be to on in case some content wants to play a sound, not a "no button" signal.

But I put my on a charger at night and I never have any problems of no juice. Except that one day took off work to play Destiny all day.

Which reminds me, I really want to install a dedicated USB charger in my theater seating so I can charge phones and controllers at will. Issue solved and then some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgdeuce View Post
I just plug mine in after every gaming session. At first, it was super annoying, but I just adapted and it isn't that big of a deal anymore.

and you never have to look for your controllers before each game.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #18263 of 18268 Unread Yesterday, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mnemonic View Post
My money is on the bluetooth speaker. It has be to on in case some content wants to play a sound, not a "no button" signal.

But I put my on a charger at night and I never have any problems of no juice. Except that one day took off work to play Destiny all day.

Which reminds me, I really want to install a dedicated USB charger in my theater seating so I can charge phones and controllers at will. Issue solved and then some!

I have a microusb cable running into the console in my theater seating, it's plugged into a 4 port USB charger. It charges literally everything but my DS4s....for whatever reason it's super picky about the cable used to charge it.

post #18264 of 18268 Unread Today, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
That may be why mine second one stays on...maybe. It's easy enough to manually shutoff now since that patch, months ago, without disturbing Netflix so meh, non issue.
I'm not sure what method you are using, but here's one that works well to disable the controller when watching online flicks: hold the Home button, tap O, release the Home button after the DS4 turns off.

~~~

I can get about seven total hours of heavy gaming before having to recharge, which is noticeably less than the DS3. Having two controllers to switch about is probably the most effective solution.

~~~

I sent the defective DS4 (left stick deterioration) to Sony today. The replacement should arrive the first week of November at the latest. A bit bugged I had to cough up the UPS postage to send it out considering it's still under warranty. I guess it is better than buying a new one.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #18265 of 18268 Unread Today, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post
I'm not sure what method you are using, but here's one that works well to disable the controller when watching online flicks: hold the Home button, tap O, release the Home button after the DS4 turns off.

~~~

I can get about seven total hours of heavy gaming before having to recharge, which is noticeably less than the DS3. Having two controllers to switch about is probably the most effective solution.

~~~

I sent the defective DS4 (left stick deterioration) to Sony today. The replacement should arrive the first week of November at the latest. A bit bugged I had to cough up the UPS postage to send it out considering it's still under warranty. I guess it is better than buying a new one.
I'm surprised they want them back, maybe they are actually inspecting each one with that problem. Also surprised they charged you freight instead of sending you a paid box.

Only time I had a warranty replacement was when inFamous destroyed L3 on a brand new controller. I called in with the receipt and they just sent me a new one. Didn't even want the old one back.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #18266 of 18268 Unread Today, 08:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
There are at least two of those dock chargers on the market. One by Energizer (what I have) and another. The energizer one has a big glowing light that makes it obvious if you didn't set it right.

The DS3 didn't seem to have battery issues, maybe they were just constrained in the design after working in the speaker, touchpad and everything else that they couldn't source a battery that was made with enough volume for them.

If that's the weakest point of the controller, I'll take it. With my 2 controllers and Charger cradle thing I've yet to miss a single second of intended game time due to dead batteries. There certainly are worse controller problems that could be had.
I have the PowerA dual charger. This one has worked great every time.

http://www.amazon.com/DualShock-Cont...al+ps4+charger

I remember seeing the Energizer one and didn't like the look of it. Plus people here had recommeneded the PowerA charger. So I'm glad I went with the PowerA.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #18267 of 18268 Unread Today, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I have the PowerA dual charger. This one has worked great every time.

http://www.amazon.com/DualShock-Cont...al+ps4+charger

I remember seeing the Energizer one and didn't like the look of it. Plus people here had recommeneded the PowerA charger. So I'm glad I went with the PowerA.

I have had this one from the beginning and I love it. But a month ago one of the chargers stopped charging. I plan on picking up another.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page