PlayStation 4 - Page 619 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #18541 of 18589 Old 11-18-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Yeah, that's def 5400rpm. The hybrids ain't bad but they really need way more than 8GB of cache for a console. That's fine for a laptop where you can squeeze your windows boot and a few common apps in it, but a few rounds of cod could plow through that 8gb super quick and then its a 5400rpm HDD no better than the stock drive. 8gb was ok for last gen when a whole game fit into that, but it needs to be at least 64gb for next gen...and that drive doesn't exist yet.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18542 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Yeah, that's def 5400rpm. The hybrids ain't bad but they really need way more than 8GB of cache for a console. That's fine for a laptop where you can squeeze your windows boot and a few common apps in it, but a few rounds of cod could plow through that 8gb super quick and then its a 5400rpm HDD no better than the stock drive. 8gb was ok for last gen when a whole game fit into that, but it needs to be at least 64gb for next gen...and that drive doesn't exist yet.

Is this because you guys are buying and downloading games instead of using blu-ray physical media?
post #18543 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Is this because you guys are buying and downloading games instead of using blu-ray physical media?
It shouldn't matter. The game installs the same regardless if it was digital or physical so the increase in speed applies to both.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #18544 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
It shouldn't matter. The game installs the same regardless if it was digital or physical so the increase in speed applies to both.
Thanks...will be monitoring to see what you guys decide on.
post #18545 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Anyone have an issue with their controller not wanting to pair? My stepson's controller just decided it won't pair to his ps4 anymore even when we connect via usb. Tried the reset button on the controller but that didn't work either....

The Weekend Warriors
post #18546 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Thanks...will be monitoring to see what you guys decide on.
I went through this debate in June. The earlier hybrid drives were 7200rpm. But the newer ones are 5400 rpm. But those are pretty much just as fast as the earlier 7200 rpm hybrids because the platter density is higher on the newer drives. SO the 5400 rpm Hybrids can get data rates similar to what the earlier 7200 rpm Hybrids got.

The 7200 rpm platter drive I got has the higher rotational speed and higher platter density. All the research I did back then seemed to say that was the best option at the time for a lower price and a performance boost. Although if some newer versions of the drive shave come out, those might even be faster now.

At the time the two 7200rpm drives that were recommended for the PS4 were the HGST and I think a WD Black drive. I know I have been pleased with the performance boost. And for only $70 it was a great deal. It certainly cost a lot less than the $390 I spent for a 1TB SSD(840 EVO) for my main XBOne.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #18547 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I went through this debate in June. The earlier hybrid drives were 7200rpm. But the newer ones are 5400 rpm. But those are pretty much just as fast as the earlier 7200 rpm hybrids because the platter density is higher on the newer drives. SO the 5400 rpm Hybrids can get data rates similar to what the earlier 7200 rpm Hybrids got.

The 7200 rpm platter drive I got has the higher rotational speed and higher platter density. All the research I did back then seemed to say that was the best option at the time for a lower price and a performance boost. Although if some newer versions of the drive shave come out, those might even be faster now.

At the time the two 7200rpm drives that were recommended for the PS4 were the HGST and I think a WD Black drive. I know I have been pleased with the performance boost. And for only $70 it was a great deal. It certainly cost a lot less than the $390 I spent for a 1TB SSD(840 EVO) for my main XBOne.
I'm pretty clueless when it comes to hardware and do remember many people switching out the HDD in the PS3. Its probably not worth it for me to do it since I'm not a hard core gamer but like to see what other people are doing to their system and why.
post #18548 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
From a console wars standpoint, does anybody think that Sony is really dropping the ball ?

I look at it like it's a football game, and Sony has lost all momentum, and the other side just got a pick 6. I'm not actually a console fanboy, but I enjoy seeing the various companies battle it out, and I enjoy debating about their various strategies and tactics. Sony lovers, don't hate me for what I'm about to say...

I just think that Sony is letting Microsoft get back in this game. It's like Sony was up 28 - 0 in the 2nd quarter, and Microsoft just tied the game early in the 3rd quarter after scoring 3 TD's in the last 4 minutes. Xbox One sales are through the roof, and with good reason.. The deals that Microsoft has put together has made the XB1 extremely tempting. $329 plus a $50 gift card at Target ? The Wal-Mart deal with Master Chief Collection and a 30 dollar gift card, etc, etc.

Microsoft is doing everything in their power to get back into the mix, and Sony is just allowing it all to happen. It's kinda weird to see this going on. I'm guessing that Sony is in such a bad financial situation, that they just can't afford to enter a price war with Microsoft. They had such a strong lead in sales, maybe they figured that nothing MS could do would matter. I think they greatly underestimated the potential for all these sales and bundles to really make a difference.

The good news for gamers, is that this is great for everybody. If the Xbox 1 was a huge failure, I don't think it would have been good for anybody, Sony fanboys included. It's better to see a healthy gaming situation for all the companies involved. Still, from a business perspective, I can't help but think that Sony has made an enormous mistake by letting this all happen unchallenged. I know their financial situation is horrible, but the PS4 being a dominant platform would be the best thing to help that horrible financial situation, and I think they should have incurred even more debt to basically "double down" on the PS4.

Great analogy and I agree. To me Sony started out so well, but I feel since they have the lead they don't care much anymore. Their Black Friday bundles are a joke especially with Christmas around the corner. It took them a year to release their first major patch and it still doesn't have notifications when a friend logs on. Also, while the ps4 has the stronger Hardware everything else just seems so basic and boring. Microsoft has continued to update their console and made it more interesting to me than the ps4 which now I barely even turn on. PSN is a complete joke which is down for maintenance every week it seems. I started out with the ps4 only and was upset and in a way hated on the one at first, but after buying my Xbox one and seeing all the improvements it became my go to console. It feels like Microsoft has slowly turn things around. Since the new price drop 4 of my buddies have bought the one and they really enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
The other thing I didn't even mention was the lineup.

I think we all can admit that Sony totally dropped the ball on that. How can you not have things pre-planned for your second Xmas ? Little Big Planet 3 and DriveClub ? Really ? I know they were hoping for The Order being ready, but still, that's only one game. They should of had other stuff in the bullpen. You can't go into the 4th quarter with no firepower. You can try to ride the wave of the 3rd parties, but damn...

Forza Horizon 2 and Master Chief Collection are legit. I haven't played Sunset Overdrive, but I've heard pretty good things about that game. Microsoft is doing a very good job with their exclusives this year. It's a huge disparity. Sony better hope The Order just kills it in February to try to get some momentum back. I know they are going to show Uncharted 4 in early December, and that can give them a bit of hype.

Maybe they should release a demo for The Order or something.

This is another thing. I'm a huge racing fan so I loved Forza 5 and forza horizon 2. To me ALL of the Sony exclusives so far are trash. LBP is getting horrible scores and isn't a must buy, drive club looks nice but the gameplay is terrible, knack? Really? Yea about that and kill zone wasn't good either. Xbox just has better exclusives right now and the only ps4 game I enjoyed was the last of us which is a PS3 port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #18549 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
I found the "headset" thread after making this post. I went with the Sony Gold. I haven't played anything online with it yet but I did set it up and did the mic volume check within the OS and the quality seemed good enough to me. I have to track down one of the Xbone headset adapters. Every place seems to sell them for $25 but aren't in stock. Gamestop meanwhile has them in stock for $30. I try not to support that organization when they float higher than standard non-sale prices than other retailers.

I own the golds. The only problem is that you only get decent bass when wireless on the ps4. On the one they lose all the bass and requires a 3.5 cable from the controller to the headset. Also, on the one you won't get 7.1 only stereo. I'd go with the Astros A50. It sounds great in both.

post #18550 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
Great analogy and I agree. To me Sony started out so well, but I feel since they have the lead they don't care much anymore. Their Black Friday bundles are a joke especially with Christmas around the corner. It took them a year to release their first major patch and it still doesn't have notifications when a friend logs on. Also, while the ps4 has the stronger Hardware everything else just seems so basic and boring. Microsoft has continued to update their console and made it more interesting to me than the ps4 which now I barely even turn on. PSN is a complete joke which is down for maintenance every week it seems. I started out with the ps4 only and was upset and in a way hated on the one at first, but after buying my Xbox one and seeing all the improvements it became my go to console. It feels like Microsoft has slowly turn things around. Since the new price drop 4 of my buddies have bought the one and they really enjoy it.

This is another thing. I'm a huge racing fan so I loved Forza 5 and forza horizon 2. To me ALL of the Sony exclusives so far are trash. LBP is getting horrible scores and isn't a must buy, drive club looks nice but the gameplay is terrible, knack? Really? Yea about that and kill zone wasn't good either. Xbox just has better exclusives right now and the only ps4 game I enjoyed was the last of us which is a PS3 port.
GTA V & The Last of Us Bundled for $399 is a joke?! Guess our senses of humor are quite different. Now maybe you meant to suggest the variety of bundles is less for the PS4 this BF compared to the XBOne. That I would agree with and I still wouldn't purchase a 'bone regardless of more bundle variety.

PSN is not down every week. #falseimpressionmemes

Killzone: Shadow Fall was/is awesome! #opinions . The single player was its usual jumbled self, great at moments frustrating and weird story pacing issues at others. Overall still fun.

Now the MP, referrring specifically to the superior War Zone mode, is still to this day the most fun I've had playing an online shooter. Yes it did take 4 to 5 weeks for them to get most of the most annoying niggles patched out (alas see just about all new FPS releases these days it seems) but regardless when you have 2 evenly matched teams clawing back and forth for an objective.... genius. Just genius.

Anyway you prefer the 'bone, I prefer the piss4... everybody's happy.
post #18551 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 09:38 AM

PlayStation 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post
GTA V & The Last of Us Bundled for $399 is a joke?! Guess our senses of humor are quite different. Now maybe you meant to suggest the variety of bundles is less for the PS4 this BF compared to the XBOne. That I would agree with and I still wouldn't purchase a 'bone regardless of more bundle variety.

PSN is not down every week. #falseimpressionmemes

Killzone: Shadow Fall was/is awesome! #opinions . The single player was its usual jumbled self, great at moments frustrating and weird story pacing issues at others. Overall still fun.

Now the MP, referrring specifically to the superior War Zone mode, is still to this day the most fun I've had playing an online shooter. Yes it did take 4 to 5 weeks for them to get most of the most annoying niggles patched out (alas see just about all new FPS releases these days it seems) but regardless when you have 2 evenly matched teams clawing back and forth for an objective.... genius. Just genius.

Anyway you prefer the 'bone, I prefer the piss4... everybody's happy.

Read my post again carefully. I never said PSN is down every week. I said "it seems like it" And the fact that my account was hacked and my debit card was compromised the first week I got the console doesn't help. It's no comparison to live. Debating that is comical. Also, kill zone wasn't good must have game if it was it would've gotten better reviews. Out of all the games I mentioned you only spoke on killzone so I guess I must be right about the others. And yes the GTA 5 and last of us bundle does seem like a joke too when the competition is offering their console for $70 cheaper with an additional game/games and and $30 gift card on top making it $100 cheaper. That seems more like a deal. When mom goes shopping which price/package do you think will entice her more? There's a reason why Xbox's sales have tripled since the $50 price drop. I guess when ps4 brings good exclusives to the platform things will change. I preferred the ps4 first, but the Xbox is more fun to me and offers more.

post #18552 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

PlayStation 4

Bundling two last gen games says a lot though, doesn't it?

That said, TLOU is still the best exclusive on either platform. I guess kudos to Sony for recognizing that the last gen remakes are still the best things to play on these consoles.

Last edited by bd2003; 11-19-2014 at 09:42 AM.
post #18553 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
GTA V & The Last of Us Bundled for $399 is a joke?!
I don't have a PS4 yet but have bought several games and waiting for the Black Friday bundle you mention to purchase. I have the GTA V & LoU on PS3 and love them and would buy them for PS4 but why when they are free with a bundle.
post #18554 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Bundling two last gen games says a lot though, doesn't it?

That said, TLOU is still the best exclusive on either platform. I guess kudos to Sony for recognizing that the last gen remakes are still the best things to play on these consoles.

That can be debatable though. I'm not a fan of Halo, but halo sells more than TLOU so to some Halo collection maybe that game.

post #18555 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That can be debatable though. I'm not a fan of Halo, but halo sells more than TLOU so to some Halo collection maybe that game.

Still a last gen game either way.

I dunno, seems like the entire generation is off to a super slow start on either side. Everything still feels rough around the edges. The vast majority of next gen games are still either last gen remakes or cross gen games. Most of the next generation only titles are technically iffy, like AC unity which runs like absolute garbage.

I guess it's all still an improvement vs last gen but I expected more from them a year into it. Probably won't be until next holiday until we see the first truly impressive next gen stuff. A year into the 360 and PS3 we had gears and uncharted, and this time we've got nothing even close to that.

post #18556 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you guys seen Far Cry 4? Stunning!
post #18557 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Read my post again carefully. I never said PSN is down every week. I said "it seems like it" And the fact that my account was hacked and my debit card was compromised the first week I got the console doesn't help. It's no comparison to live. Debating that is comical. Also, kill zone wasn't good must have game if it was it would've gotten better reviews. Out of all the games I mentioned you only spoke on killzone so I guess I must be right about the others. And yes the GTA 5 and last of us bundle does seem like a joke too when the competition is offering their console for $70 cheaper with an additional game/games and and $30 gift card on top making it $100 cheaper. That seems more like a deal. When mom goes shopping which price/package do you think will entice her more? There's a reason why Xbox's sales have tripled since the $50 price drop. I guess when ps4 brings good exclusives to the platform things will change. I preferred the ps4 first, but the Xbox is more fun to me and offers more.

First off reviews are worthless. It's a popularity contest of the worst kind. LBP3 got knocked on bugs but AC:U can't be bothered to render faces at times and doesn't get knocked, wtf? About the only thing you can glean from a review is an opinion. If I listened to reviews would I have been lmao at all the fun I've had with LBP3 over the last couple days? No. I prefer my own judgment and research thank you very much.

Second, xbone sales went up because the price dropped to be more in line with the actual product your receiving. It's also getting aggressive bundles because sales are flaccid as an 80 year old. It's not that it's not selling units, it's not making Microsoft money. They have a large investment to recoup. Hell $400 mil for the NFL deal alone. That's 800k xbones at $500 each to get there. No profit, no overhead, straight sales. How much was Kinect research again, $100 mil comes to mind for some reason. Brass tax bottom dollar says Microsoft isn't making money. No console sales = no software sales = no sub sales = no recoup of investment and no profit. Very simple math.

A $500 box wasn't moving so it became a $400 box in 6 months and now a $350 box with bundles. Also, tripled sales of a poor seller are not that great. Yay I sold an xbone yesterday and today I sold three! Meanwhile other consoles are selling 100 a day. Exaggerated slightly but it's all PR bs. If the xbone outsells the PS4 x3 in November, then beat your chest and brag because that is an accomplishment.

Take an honest look at the financials of these companies today. Microsoft is losing plain and simple. Their losing numbers which loses revenue. Sony isn't losing a thing. In fact their sales are pretty steady month over month. Now ask yourself why in God's name would Sony give up price drops and too many goodies when their on top and making money? The loser does that. Sony ate it last gen and now it's Microsofts turn. We can argue which one is better all day but if you want to talk sales those numbers are black and white and there is no debate about which is doing better financially.

Honestly if you don't like one console, trade it off and use the proceeds to fuel more games on the one you like. You will be much happier.
post #18558 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
I own the golds. The only problem is that you only get decent bass when wireless on the ps4. On the one they lose all the bass and requires a 3.5 cable from the controller to the headset. Also, on the one you won't get 7.1 only stereo. I'd go with the Astros A50. It sounds great in both.
That's a pretty big swing, from an on-sale $85 set and a $299 set. I'm sure the A50s are better, but I'm not looking to drop that kind of cheddar.

So far I like the integrated mic into the golds, might be less than ideal, but I could see myself using these as general headphones when I'm on the plane and walking through airports. Maybe a little nerdy with the x, square, circle and triangle icons on the side but who cares...

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #18559 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
I think MS has the better exclusives late in this year (Sunset, MCC, ect). If you take a step back between what has come out so far and what is known down the line, I don't think that is the case. It's going to be hard for MS to dethrone Sony in a category they excel at, which is variety exclusives. Much like it's going to be hard for Sony to be better with OS/Software updates than MS.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #18560 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I'll add to the noise. I recently took advantage of the BB deal to trade in my neglected PS3 for an XBox One. It came with AC:BF (which I didn't like on the PS4) and AC:U (haven't even tried it because of the issues). I bought Titanfall and played through the tutorials. Destiny on the PS4 consumes 100% of my gaming time, but I do hope to give TF a chance and I'd really like to pick up Sunset Overdrive.

I hooked the One up, calibrated the Kinect, and routed my cable through it. It's a decent TV watching machine, though I feel like it's introducing some artifacts somewhere. I don't have any objective data, so don't put much stock in that statement. The UI is as much of a mess as is the PS4's, maybe worse...but that could be because I'm simply used to the PS way of things (I haven't had an XBox since the very first one).

The BD PQ seems subpar subjectively compared to the PS4. It seemed to be pushing green. Again, I haven't fiddled with the One's video settings, but I figured if I didn't it would be close to 'pass-through.'

I feel like the One is cheaply made. So is the controller. It feels like it's made of cheap plastic and I have to stick batteries into it. Whaaaa?! I find the DS4 to be more comfortable in my hands, but this could simply be a bias from primarily gaming on PS systems.

When I turn on the One, it screams, "I'M A MEDIA MACHINE!!!!" I get that. From my subjective observation alone, it tells me I will never purchase a multiplat for the One. Never.

I have no buyer's remorse and I'm sure I'll become much more familiar with the new toy over the holiday season, but my humble opinion is that the PS4 absolutely destroys the One from a "gaming" machine perspective.

------------------------------------
PSN/XBO: frankthetoad
post #18561 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post
I'll add to the noise. I recently took advantage of the BB deal to trade in my neglected PS3 for an XBox One. It came with AC:BF (which I didn't like on the PS4) and AC:U (haven't even tried it because of the issues). I bought Titanfall and played through the tutorials. Destiny on the PS4 consumes 100% of my gaming time, but I do hope to give TF a chance and I'd really like to pick up Sunset Overdrive.

I hooked the One up, calibrated the Kinect, and routed my cable through it. It's a decent TV watching machine, though I feel like it's introducing some artifacts somewhere. I don't have any objective data, so don't put much stock in that statement. The UI is as much of a mess as is the PS4's, maybe worse...but that could be because I'm simply used to the PS way of things (I haven't had an XBox since the very first one).

The BD PQ seems subpar subjectively compared to the PS4. It seemed to be pushing green. Again, I haven't fiddled with the One's video settings, but I figured if I didn't it would be close to 'pass-through.'

I feel like the One is cheaply made. So is the controller. It feels like it's made of cheap plastic and I have to stick batteries into it. Whaaaa?! I find the DS4 to be more comfortable in my hands, but this could simply be a bias from primarily gaming on PS systems.

When I turn on the One, it screams, "I'M A MEDIA MACHINE!!!!" I get that. From my subjective observation alone, it tells me I will never purchase a multiplat for the One. Never.

I have no buyer's remorse and I'm sure I'll become much more familiar with the new toy over the holiday season, but my humble opinion is that the PS4 absolutely destroys the One from a "gaming" machine perspective.
The controller didn't actually feel too bad to me really. It was awkward at first but got much better over time. The triggers not hanging out like buck teeth waiting to be cracked is something Sony could stand to learn so sayeth my busted DS4 trigger.

Personally I do prefer changeable batteries. Their cheaper than new controllers and last a long time. Although my DS3's lasted a long time. After that the DS4 destroys the xbone controller. I don't know about anyone else but the speaker and touchpad are engrained in my head these days. I have a hard time using other controllers without those, especially the touchpad. It's used enough to be useful but not overbearing but missed when not there.

The xbone isn't the worst thing ever and if you've got the budget to let a secondary console collect dust it's not horrible at all. I just looked at mine with two months of dust caked on and said I will come back when it's got something to do.
post #18562 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Agreed on the triggers. Those do seem like they'd be better, but I haven't gamed enough to truly appreciate them. I also need to get an adapter so I don't have to use the tween-aged headset they included. It does not fit my head.

I don't think I've ever had a DS3/DS4 die on me because its internal battery failed. Just seemed weird seeing a battery compartment.

------------------------------------
PSN/XBO: frankthetoad
post #18563 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I did read your post carefully. So you admit that you know the PSN isn't down every week yet you still feel justified in strongly expressing that "it seems like it is down every week" for the benefit of who exactly? Sounds like you have a motive as there is some incongruity there.

You brought up the potential of debating PSN vs Live, I did not. Read my post again carefully. If you like Live better, fantastic for you. You made the proper console choice. Regardless the PSN works fine for me and my gaming purposes.

I didn't refer to the other games mentioned because I have not played them. >.>

I have played Killzone, alot, and that is why I felt justified in commenting on my impressions of said title. If you've played it and disagree that's fine. However if you are basing your bashing of the title on the reviews/opinions of others... then ok I guess. Party on Art!

And then stuff I'm not bothered to continue on about.
freemeat likes this.
post #18564 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post
Agreed on the triggers. Those do seem like they'd be better, but I haven't gamed enough to truly appreciate them. I also need to get an adapter so I don't have to use the tween-aged headset they included. It does not fit my head.

I don't think I've ever had a DS3/DS4 die on me because its internal battery failed. Just seemed weird seeing a battery compartment.
I've been using the DS3 that came with my original Fat 60GB launch PS3 and it hasn't died yet. Not saying everyone has experienced this but I have. So that's 8 years w/o having to buy a single additional battery for the controller.

That being said, I like the new DS4 in just about every way in comparison. Well to be fair I did get the launch controller exchanged for the stick rubber cracking issue. Apart from that, love it.
post #18565 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did read your post carefully. So you admit that you know the PSN isn't down every week yet you still feel justified in strongly expressing that "it seems like it is down every week" for the benefit of who exactly? Sounds like you have a motive as there is some incongruity there.

You brought up the potential of debating PSN vs Live, I did not. Read my post again carefully. If you like Live better, fantastic for you. You made the proper console choice. Regardless the PSN works fine for me and my gaming purposes.

I didn't refer to the other games mentioned because I have not played them. >.>

I have played Killzone, alot, and that is why I felt justified in commenting on my impressions of said title. If you've played it and disagree that's fine. However if you are basing your bashing of the title on the reviews/opinions of others... then ok I guess. Party on Art!

And then stuff I'm not bothered to continue on about.
Well...PSN has been pretty shytii lately. So I can't fault him too much there. Got a chat request last night and a spinning disc of failure and that stuff happens far too often. Same with messaging. Sometimes it's just slow... Phone app doesnt always run well either. Outagewise it's not been awful but usage can be a pita at times. On this front I will agree that if we're paying this needs to be solid.
post #18566 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
Well...PSN has been pretty shytii lately. So I can't fault him too much there. Got a chat request last night and a spinning disc of failure and that stuff happens far too often. Same with messaging. Sometimes it's just slow... Phone app doesnt always run well either. Outagewise it's not been awful but usage can be a pita at times. On this front I will agree that if we're paying this needs to be solid.
Fair point. Maybe I should be more critical of the PSN. However I have a co-worker that was all geek'd for some quality Destiny time last night and got about zero accomplished over 3 hours playtime because either Live and/or the Bungie servers were having issues. In comparison, I played Destiny on my piss4 from 7pm to 11:30 pm central without a single issue. So it's not like either service is without fault is all I'm saying.

I fully admit I don't have much experience with Live since I sold my 360 back in 2011. At that time I really didn't see much difference between the 2 from a "network stability" standpoint. Granted you could do stuff with Live that you couldn't on the piss3 but none of it I cared about. Also the 360 front end came with redonkulous amounts of adverts that really put a sour taste in my mouth, I personally HATE having adverts shoved down my throat.

Anyway, that's about all the direct experience I have. If the people I trust like yourself state that Live is more stable on the whole than the PSN then I will cede the point. If the competition has a more robust and/or stable service and is at a similar price point to the PSN, then I do agree we should expect Sony to improve the supporting hardware and software to match. That is definitely a reasonable expectation IMHO.
post #18567 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Fair point. Maybe I should be more critical of the PSN. However I have a co-worker that was all geek'd for some quality Destiny time last night and got about zero accomplished over 3 hours playtime because either Live and/or the Bungie servers were having issues. In comparison, I played Destiny on my piss4 from 7pm to 11:30 pm central without a single issue. So it's not like either service is without fault is all I'm saying.

I fully admit I don't have much experience with Live since I sold my 360 back in 2011. At that time I really didn't see much difference between the 2 from a "network stability" standpoint. Granted you could do stuff with Live that you couldn't on the piss3 but none of it I cared about. Also the 360 front end came with redonkulous amounts of adverts that really put a sour taste in my mouth, I personally HATE having adverts shoved down my throat.

Anyway, that's about all the direct experience I have. If the people I trust like yourself state that Live is more stable on the whole than the PSN then I will cede the point. If the competition has a more robust and/or stable service and is at a similar price point to the PSN, then I do agree we should expect Sony to improve the supporting hardware and software to match. That is definitely a reasonable expectation IMHO.
I'm not saying Live is any better lol my xbone is long gone. I'm more of a realist I like to say and I'd like to think I have a fairly honest opinion of things which my wife and step daughter hate believe me. I'm a big advocate of looking at things as they are without being too far out. Overall the PS4 provides the better experience but it definitely has some room to grow. I'd say the PS side is a good 90% of the way there and the xbox side like 70% because of all the things they ripped out and rebuilt but that's just my take.
Nayan likes this.
post #18568 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I am not a fangrrl of the PS4, but having the opportunity to play with both machines I found the PS4 gave me a better user experience. Of course both have their good and bad sides, along with console exclusives. Titanfall didn't excite me and I am not into Halo enough to get one, but that's not to say that down the road they won't put out a game that will be a must-have for me. When they do that, then I will grab an xbone. For now though I am happy with what I have, small annoyances and all.
freemeat likes this.

I act my age sometimes. Sometimes ;). Crap I say
post #18569 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 590
I bought a Xbox 360 at launch. This time around with both launching at the same time roughly, MS made it really easy to choose a PS4. They packaged in Kinect and charged $100 for an significantly inferior gaming machine with a peripheral I have zero interest in. Quite a bit different from last gen where the more expensive PS3 was more expensive with the benefit of being a better gaming machine as well. I simply don't care about doing skype and stuff like that. Sure I use Netflix and things but both have that.

That said there are some cool looking games on The Xbox One like the Insomniac game. I personally can't keep up with all the games I have on the PS4. This month has given me quite the rotation of new games.

DriveClub - amazing game that had a rough start and still has some online issues but the core gameplay and track designs are second to none.
Pro Evolution Soccer 2015 (1080p 60fps.. would be 720p if I only had an Xbox One).
Far Cry 4 - just started it but so far it is great.
Dragon Age: Inquisition- just picked it up (had the buy 2 get one free from Target)
Call of Duty: Advance Warfare - I've played a couple chapters
Lords of the Fallen - played through two bosses

I can only play 2 of these while the kids are awake! Grow up already!
icelt and Nayan like this.
post #18570 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Freemeat, let's do some Farcry coop soon...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PSN:Lodolfan16
XBL: Lodolfan16
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page