post #18571 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post
Freemeat, let's do some Farcry coop soon...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tonight? I can get the kids in at 845pm
PST. Too late for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18572 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post
I'll add to the noise. I recently took advantage of the BB deal to trade in my neglected PS3 for an XBox One. It came with AC:BF (which I didn't like on the PS4) and AC:U (haven't even tried it because of the issues). I bought Titanfall and played through the tutorials. Destiny on the PS4 consumes 100% of my gaming time, but I do hope to give TF a chance and I'd really like to pick up Sunset Overdrive.

I hooked the One up, calibrated the Kinect, and routed my cable through it. It's a decent TV watching machine, though I feel like it's introducing some artifacts somewhere. I don't have any objective data, so don't put much stock in that statement. The UI is as much of a mess as is the PS4's, maybe worse...but that could be because I'm simply used to the PS way of things (I haven't had an XBox since the very first one).

The BD PQ seems subpar subjectively compared to the PS4. It seemed to be pushing green. Again, I haven't fiddled with the One's video settings, but I figured if I didn't it would be close to 'pass-through.'

I feel like the One is cheaply made. So is the controller. It feels like it's made of cheap plastic and I have to stick batteries into it. Whaaaa?! I find the DS4 to be more comfortable in my hands, but this could simply be a bias from primarily gaming on PS systems.

When I turn on the One, it screams, "I'M A MEDIA MACHINE!!!!" I get that. From my subjective observation alone, it tells me I will never purchase a multiplat for the One. Never.

I have no buyer's remorse and I'm sure I'll become much more familiar with the new toy over the holiday season, but my humble opinion is that the PS4 absolutely destroys the One from a "gaming" machine perspective.
I personally prefer the changeable batteries. Look how long they last! On the ps4 they don't last too long. On average I probably get 4-5 hours before a charge. I also prefer the xbox controller over the ps4. Also, one thing I like on the one over the ps4 is the UI. While the ps4 UI works it's too basic IMO. The fact that I can be in a party with some friends and be able to watch an sports broadcast on tv with them all is nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post
I did read your post carefully. So you admit that you know the PSN isn't down every week yet you still feel justified in strongly expressing that "it seems like it is down every week" for the benefit of who exactly? Sounds like you have a motive as there is some incongruity there.

You brought up the potential of debating PSN vs Live, I did not. Read my post again carefully. If you like Live better, fantastic for you. You made the proper console choice. Regardless the PSN works fine for me and my gaming purposes.

I didn't refer to the other games mentioned because I have not played them. >.>

I have played Killzone, alot, and that is why I felt justified in commenting on my impressions of said title. If you've played it and disagree that's fine. However if you are basing your bashing of the title on the reviews/opinions of others... then ok I guess. Party on Art!

And then stuff I'm not bothered to continue on about.
Actually I'm basing what I'm saying on my personal experience and opinion. PSN hasn't been consistent and that's undeniable. Both consoles bring something good to the table. To me PSN isn't one of them. I'm sure PSN will get better with time, but right now it's not that great. How many times do messages take forever to appear with the spinning circle?. How many times do we hear that psn is going down for maintenance? And it's not that I like live better its that it's more consistent and you don't hear live going down often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
Well...PSN has been pretty shytii lately. So I can't fault him too much there. Got a chat request last night and a spinning disc of failure and that stuff happens far too often. Same with messaging. Sometimes it's just slow... Phone app doesnt always run well either. Outagewise it's not been awful but usage can be a pita at times. On this front I will agree that if we're paying this needs to be solid.
I agree....
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
I bought a Xbox 360 at launch. This time around with both launching at the same time roughly, MS made it really easy to choose a PS4. They packaged in Kinect and charged $100 for an significantly inferior gaming machine with a peripheral I have zero interest in. Quite a bit different from last gen where the more expensive PS3 was more expensive with the benefit of being a better gaming machine as well. I simply don't care about doing skype and stuff like that. Sure I use Netflix and things but both have that.

That said there are some cool looking games on The Xbox One like the Insomniac game. I personally can't keep up with all the games I have on the PS4. This month has given me quite the rotation of new games.

DriveClub - amazing game that had a rough start and still has some online issues but the core gameplay and track designs are second to none.
Pro Evolution Soccer 2015 (1080p 60fps.. would be 720p if I only had an Xbox One).
Far Cry 4 - just started it but so far it is great.
Dragon Age: Inquisition- just picked it up (had the buy 2 get one free from Target)
Call of Duty: Advance Warfare - I've played a couple chapters
Lords of the Fallen - played through two bosses

I can only play 2 of these while the kids are awake! Grow up already!
I know exactly how you feel. I hated the way xbox came out last year at E3 and said I wouldn't buy one at all. After a while I played a friend's console and liked some of the features. A year later and the xbox continues to add new features and now it's the console I enjoy more. I just feel like it offers more while some call it an entertainment box. I guess it's safe to say it's something you have to try to truly enjoy. Don't get me wrong I also enjoy my PS4.
freemeat likes this.

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #18573 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
The controller didn't actually feel too bad to me really. It was awkward at first but got much better over time. The triggers not hanging out like buck teeth waiting to be cracked is something Sony could stand to learn so sayeth my busted DS4 trigger.

Personally I do prefer changeable batteries. Their cheaper than new controllers and last a long time. Although my DS3's lasted a long time. After that the DS4 destroys the xbone controller. I don't know about anyone else but the speaker and touchpad are engrained in my head these days. I have a hard time using other controllers without those, especially the touchpad. It's used enough to be useful but not overbearing but missed when not there.

The xbone isn't the worst thing ever and if you've got the budget to let a secondary console collect dust it's not horrible at all. I just looked at mine with two months of dust caked on and said I will come back when it's got something to do.
I do like the speaker on the PS4 controller. IN the games that I heard it used it does add to the game. The touch pad though, I hate it. I can't count the number of times I have accidentally hit that thing and something pops up on the screen. If it were smaller I might like it better since I wouldn't accidentally hit it all the time.

I still like the XBOne controller better but the PS4 controller is easily a close second. It's a night a day difference compared to the PS3 controller. With the PS3 controller my hands would ache badly after using it for only ten minutes. While the PS4 controller is more like the XBOne controller. I can use them both for hours and my hands feel fine.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #18574 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Tonight? I can get the kids in at 845pm

PST. Too late for you?

As you know I'm east coast so that's 11:45 EST for me which is too late for a week night. Let's shoot for Friday or Saturday night if that works for you.

PSN:Lodolfan16
XBL: Lodolfan16
post #18575 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post
As you know I'm east coast so that's 11:45 EST for me which is too late for a week night. Let's shoot for Friday or Saturday night if that works for you.

Yeah, kind of figured that was the case. I am not sure yet about this weekend but if I'm on I'll hit you up for sure. Co-op is always better!
post #18576 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Yeah, kind of figured that was the case. I am not sure yet about this weekend but if I'm on I'll hit you up for sure. Co-op is always better!
Anyone know how many can coop at once?
post #18577 of 18589 Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anyone know how many can coop at once?
No idea. I did see there are sure created levels which were cool to browse through.
post #18578 of 18589 Old 11-20-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 259
The past 2 nights, while playing GTA, my PS4 will suddenly beep a handful of times while gaming (like 3 quick beeps a few times in a row). No error message pops up, no lights on the console flashing and the game continues to play without any problems so, I'm not sure what is going on. It bugs me that the console beeps at me a few times but, then doesn't give me any type of indication about why it was just yelling at me. I've never had this happen before and it has only been while playing GTA the past 2 nights. Seems to happen during the first 10-15 minutes of playing then never again for the rest of the night. Now I'm nervous that my PS4 is about to die but, at least I bought the extended warranty in case that happens.

Has anyone had anything similar happen? I'm so tired of cryptic error messages (or in this case no message), why do all these companies do this, just tell me what is going wrong!

No, my PS4 is not in a closed cabinet and it out in the open with plenty of air flow so, I doubt it is an overheating thing.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #18579 of 18589 Old 11-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
No idea. I did see there are sure created levels which were cool to browse through.
From the few screen grabs I've seen, the game looks absolutely gorgeous at times. Very tempted.
post #18580 of 18589 Old 11-20-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post
From the few screen grabs I've seen, the game looks absolutely gorgeous at times. Very tempted.
Saw this on GAF talking about taking down a rhino and it's sealed the deal for me:

"Basic weapons aren't enough, while the rocket launcher ruins the skin. Driving a hatchback car at high speed into one didn't work out well either."

I'm probably going to have this tomorrow when I see what my bill to paycheck ratio is.
post #18581 of 18589 Old 11-21-2014, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
"when I see what my bill to paycheck ratio is."
There should be a (no hearts) like button on mobile.
post #18582 of 18589 Old 11-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Saw this on GAF talking about taking down a rhino and it's sealed the deal for me:

"Basic weapons aren't enough, while the rocket launcher ruins the skin. Driving a hatchback car at high speed into one didn't work out well either."

I'm probably going to have this tomorrow when I see what my bill to paycheck ratio is.
Yeah man I'm also getting the feeling that this title has an undercurrent of awesome sauce and will be one of those games that manages to add up to more than just the sum of its parts.

Only problem... Destiny. Destiny is a cruel and demanding, yet admittedly very enjoyable, mistress.
frankthetoad and gamermwm like this.

Last edited by icelt; 11-21-2014 at 12:12 PM.
post #18583 of 18589 Old 11-21-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Killzone at Sears for $12. Hmm tempting...
Nima and icelt like this.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #18584 of 18589 Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Finally got my PS4 this weekend with Dragon Age: Inquisition.

First: I love how fast this thing is compared to the PS3. I do miss the XMB though.

Second: Netflix on my PS4 seems to run worse than on my PS3. Fortunately I can watch Netflix through my PS3 (which is still hooked up...I like to play music CD's from time to time, so that isn't going anywhere) and my smart TV, so that's not a big deal, but with the faster networking and better processors, you would think Netflix would be slightly superior, but it isn't and that puzzles me.

Third: The PCM/Bitstreaming setup is weird. I like how the PS3 did it. You could set it to LPCM or to Bitstream and be done with it. Now it's got it split between LPCM, Bitstream(Dolby) or Bitstream(DTS). Why? I prefer DTS for some things (some DVD movies and Blu Rays) and Dolby for others (Netflix). It's a strange decision on their part. I'll play with it over the coming days to see how it best functions. For now I have it set to Bitstream (dolby) so that Netflix ouputs DD+ to my receiver.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is a fantastic game. This is a proper RPG. Lots of characters, deep storyline and a huge world to explore. Hopefully the Witcher 3 and Final Fantasy XV follow that mold as well.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #18585 of 18589 Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
PlayStation 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
Finally got my PS4 this weekend with Dragon Age: Inquisition.

First: I love how fast this thing is compared to the PS3. I do miss the XMB though.

Second: Netflix on my PS4 seems to run worse than on my PS3. Fortunately I can watch Netflix through my PS3 (which is still hooked up...I like to play music CD's from time to time, so that isn't going anywhere) and my smart TV, so that's not a big deal, but with the faster networking and better processors, you would think Netflix would be slightly superior, but it isn't and that puzzles me.

Third: The PCM/Bitstreaming setup is weird. I like how the PS3 did it. You could set it to LPCM or to Bitstream and be done with it. Now it's got it split between LPCM, Bitstream(Dolby) or Bitstream(DTS). Why? I prefer DTS for some things (some DVD movies and Blu Rays) and Dolby for others (Netflix). It's a strange decision on their part. I'll play with it over the coming days to see how it best functions. For now I have it set to Bitstream (dolby) so that Netflix ouputs DD+ to my receiver.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is a fantastic game. This is a proper RPG. Lots of characters, deep storyline and a huge world to explore. Hopefully the Witcher 3 and Final Fantasy XV follow that mold as well.

The audio setting is a global output setting. It'll real time encode whatever the system feeds it. In the netflix app itself, you have to change it to DD by going to the CC button. Right now it's probably just encoding the stereo stream into DD. And for bluray, there's also a separate setting where you can enable bitstreaming.

It'll allow you to do exactly what you want but it's like the most non-intuitive and confusing thing ever.
Nayan likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #18586 of 18589 Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
The audio setting is a global output setting. It'll real time encode whatever the system feeds it. In the netflix app itself, you have to change it to DD by going to the CC button. Right now it's probably just encoding the stereo stream into DD. And for bluray, there's also a separate setting where you can enable bitstreaming.

It'll allow you to do exactly what you want but it's like the most non-intuitive and confusing thing ever.
Well, last night I switched it from LPCM to Bitstream (Dolby) and it decoded the DD+ on Netflix just fine. Before that, it was outputting to my receiver as PCM and I wasn't sure if I was getting the DD+ format as it didn't sound right coming from my speakers, and I was getting drop outs in the sound outputting to the speakers. This was cleared up after switching it to Bitstream (Dolby).

With Blu Ray, I figure I can just switch that manually, if there's an option to do so built in. No problemo. As long as it is prioritizing bitstreaming, I should be able to use my controller to switch the output from the Blu Ray manually.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #18587 of 18589 Old Today, 08:11 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Did anybody purchase "Little Big Planet 3" yet? Was thinking of getting this for the kids as a xmas gift.

Any thoughts?

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #18588 of 18589 Old Today, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post
Did anybody purchase "Little Big Planet 3" yet? Was thinking of getting this for the kids as a xmas gift.

Any thoughts?
My teenage step daughter wants nothing to do with gaming so I have no idea if kids are on board but it's fun for big kids and I've thoroughly enjoyed it! The story mode is pretty short but the user content is all backwards compatible so you get like 8 million levels day one. That said it's kind of like the Apple app store, a billion apps with ten million fart apps. Not all levels are created equally but there is some really cool stuff in there.
post #18589 of 18589 Old Today, 05:20 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
My teenage step daughter wants nothing to do with gaming so I have no idea if kids are on board but it's fun for big kids and I've thoroughly enjoyed it! The story mode is pretty short but the user content is all backwards compatible so you get like 8 million levels day one. That said it's kind of like the Apple app store, a billion apps with ten million fart apps. Not all levels are created equally but there is some really cool stuff in there.
Thanks for the insight. I guess I will get it. That is a lot of levels. I am sure some are easy and others are more difficult. Keeps the game interesting, I am sure!

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page