PlayStation 4 - Page 630 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #18871 of 18878 Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Question for anyone who has swapped out for a bigger PS4 HDD.

I just bought the Seagate Backup Slim 2TB External HDD (Samsung M9T inside) ($99 at Best Buy right now, thank you Christmas money ) I am planning to change out my HDD tonight after work.

Over half of my games are Discs and so it won't be so horrible doing the re-download of the digital games.

My real question is about the re-Installing of disc games, does anyone know exactly how long it takes to re-install a game? I know after a minute or 2 you can play them while they download in the background but what I'm hoping to find out is how you actually know when the install is complete? Can I just put in say Driveclub for a like 15 minutes and take it out and put in the next disc to start installing or do I need to leave one disc game in for an hour or so hoping it's finished then grab say NBA2K15 and start it's install?

PSN: ROLL_mf_TIDE

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR | Sony S5100 BD Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18872 of 18878 Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1022 View Post
Question for anyone who has swapped out for a bigger PS4 HDD.

I just bought the Seagate Backup Slim 2TB External HDD (Samsung M9T inside) ($99 at Best Buy right now, thank you Christmas money ) I am planning to change out my HDD tonight after work.

Over half of my games are Discs and so it won't be so horrible doing the re-download of the digital games.

My real question is about the re-Installing of disc games, does anyone know exactly how long it takes to re-install a game? I know after a minute or 2 you can play them while they download in the background but what I'm hoping to find out is how you actually know when the install is complete? Can I just put in say Driveclub for a like 15 minutes and take it out and put in the next disc to start installing or do I need to leave one disc game in for an hour or so hoping it's finished then grab say NBA2K15 and start it's install?
Depends on the game largely. Lords of the Fallen was only 4gb vs KZ that was around 40gb. You can check them by clicking options and it should tell you progress.
post #18873 of 18878 Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
PS4 Still down for me.
post #18874 of 18878 Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Try the MTU trick posted a few back, it is how I got on while everyone was still complaining that it was down.
post #18875 of 18878 Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Alright gonna try it. Worked thanks game on.

Last edited by HD KOOL-AID; Yesterday at 04:38 PM.
post #18876 of 18878 Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
Depends on the game largely. Lords of the Fallen was only 4gb vs KZ that was around 40gb. You can check them by clicking options and it should tell you progress.
True about the size of the game but I thought that once the install started it only shows the progress until it's ready to play? Once that is done if you go to check the HDD space it will already show the HDD space taken up for that game even before it has time to fully install. I also have to assume that if you take out the disc too early then it stops and re-starts when you put in the disc again at a later time?

PSN: ROLL_mf_TIDE

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR | Sony S5100 BD Player
post #18877 of 18878 Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
True about the size of the game but I thought that once the install started it only shows the progress until it's ready to play? Once that is done if you go to check the HDD space it will already show the HDD space taken up for that game even before it has time to fully install. I also have to assume that if you take out the disc too early then it stops and re-starts when you put in the disc again at a later time?
Not. A. Clue. I do mostly digital, mostly. LotF installed super quick but the last disc game I had before was months ago and I typically pop them in and walk away...
steve1022 likes this.
post #18878 of 18878 Old Today, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I'm still not able to log on.
(NW-31194-8)
The internet is good, reset everything and turned it all off.
This sucks.

Glad I have some physical media.

Last edited by brwsaw; Today at 12:52 AM.
post #18879 of 18878 Old Today, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
I think it's moot at that point. If the system allocates the HD space and resumes the installation next time you put the disc, then it doesn't matter. Next time you put the disc in (which you're required to do to play the game) the installation will continue. As long as you get the game installed to the point you can launch it that is all that truly matters.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Console , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 4 Games , Sony
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com