PlayStation 4 - Page 659 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #19741 of 19756 Old 05-27-2015, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Do you guys think Sony can maintain their leadership position through e3 and beyond ?

I think the XB1 lead the sales charts last month, which is an interesting development. Sony has like 23 or 24 million PS4's in homes worldwide, and they are clearly the worldwide leader, but it seems to me like they kinda got that lead for free. It's not like they are killing it in the software department. I've owned a PS4 since launch day, and I've yet to see a killer first party game on the PS4 yet. I know some people really like Driveclub, I have to admit to not trying it. Some might like the Order, haven't tried that either. I played Killzone Shadowfall and Knack, and thought both were decent but relatively mediocre. Infamous Second Son seemed good, but for whatever reason my desire to play that game evaporated quickly. Last of Us is cool, but it's a PS3 game. Of course, this year had Bloodbourne, but I'm not a Souls guy, so didn't try that one either.

You have to imagine that Sony is going to eventually bring the noise, but will they have anything really major for this calendar year ?

Will they maintain their leadership position, or will the XB1 continue to pull the upset ?

[obviously, in the grand scheme of things, none of this really matters, just curious on peoples takes heading into e3...]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19742 of 19756 Old 05-27-2015, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I have yet to see anything from Xbox that would even lead me to believe they could make up a 3-4 million deficit, let alone what it is now. Lots of great games coming out that are multiplatform, and Sony still has a few exclusives up their sleeve. At worst, xbone slightly outsells Sony. MS lost this in the first year.
post #19743 of 19756 Old 05-27-2015, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I have both the Xbox one and recently purchased a ps4. I like the ps4, but the Xbox one since it's inception has been continually improved with accessories and monthly updates. In my opinion the ps4 is just a gaming machines as of right now. The Xbox one does it all. I use my Xbox for everything. The ps4 is just used for games nothing else. Unless they add dlna and support for ir to bt. I can see the Xbox one closing in on the ps4.
post #19744 of 19756 Old 05-27-2015, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Do you guys think Sony can maintain their leadership position through e3 and beyond ?

I think the XB1 lead the sales charts last month, which is an interesting development. Sony has like 23 or 24 million PS4's in homes worldwide, and they are clearly the worldwide leader, but it seems to me like they kinda got that lead for free. It's not like they are killing it in the software department. I've owned a PS4 since launch day, and I've yet to see a killer first party game on the PS4 yet. I know some people really like Driveclub, I have to admit to not trying it. Some might like the Order, haven't tried that either. I played Killzone Shadowfall and Knack, and thought both were decent but relatively mediocre. Infamous Second Son seemed good, but for whatever reason my desire to play that game evaporated quickly. Last of Us is cool, but it's a PS3 game. Of course, this year had Bloodbourne, but I'm not a Souls guy, so didn't try that one either.

You have to imagine that Sony is going to eventually bring the noise, but will they have anything really major for this calendar year ?

Will they maintain their leadership position, or will the XB1 continue to pull the upset ?

[obviously, in the grand scheme of things, none of this really matters, just curious on peoples takes heading into e3...]
The sad thing is that I really want an xbone again. Its like a hole in my soul or something. Lol. I think its because I had a 360 for so many years I feel off without both consoles. Love my PS4 but I'm still wanting an xbone. There's absolutely zero reason for me to rebuy one though. Maybe Titanfall but TF2 is on the multiplat way some day and besides I'd be into another sub so a budget PC would be better and open up a lot of other games for the same price.

I think Sony is doing a good job of spreading the love. They have racing, sports, platform, shooter, etc. They have actual exclusives that are not on PC, have less performance issues on third party games and first party for that matter, and a good word of mouth. Xbone is associated with less performance, less framerate, less resolution, less true exclusives and less first party stuff (far as I can tell because I'm easy on buying toys and see nothing exciting). So anything, absolutely anything Microsoft does will move boxes because their so far in the hole. Sure NPD numbers look good for a month or two but its only the US. PS has double the numbers easily worldwide.

I don't even care about the console war at this point. Well much anyway. Have too many real life issues to deal with but from a consumer point of view I'd say both sides are flaccid right about now. Where's No Mans Sky? How about some more KZ? Were close to two years in, bring me a sequel. Gimme some Driveclub news beyond layoffs and b*tching about the missing Plus version. How about DLC season 2. Where's my VR? Hows about some third party love? I need another Ghost Recon. Metal gear is a ways off but the next few months are stark all around. Eff Batman because its a rental just like Witcher. No Battlefield. Get some crappy Star Wars game instead and equally crappy night map on Battlefield. COD might be ok but I'm renting it, haven't played the last two very much.

Anthony I'm kind of feeling the blah I think you were talking about a while back. Between downgrades, bugs, and nothing earthshaking on the horizon its kind of depressing in a way. Still enjoying what I've got but kind of want something to look forward to as well.
post #19745 of 19756 Old 05-27-2015, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
The sad thing is that I really want an xbone again. Its like a hole in my soul or something. Lol. I think its because I had a 360 for so many years I feel off without both consoles. Love my PS4 but I'm still wanting an xbone. There's absolutely zero reason for me to rebuy one though. Maybe Titanfall but TF2 is on the multiplat way some day and besides I'd be into another sub so a budget PC would be better and open up a lot of other games for the same price.

I think Sony is doing a good job of spreading the love. They have racing, sports, platform, shooter, etc. They have actual exclusives that are not on PC, have less performance issues on third party games and first party for that matter, and a good word of mouth. Xbone is associated with less performance, less framerate, less resolution, less true exclusives and less first party stuff (far as I can tell because I'm easy on buying toys and see nothing exciting). So anything, absolutely anything Microsoft does will move boxes because their so far in the hole. Sure NPD numbers look good for a month or two but its only the US. PS has double the numbers easily worldwide.

I don't even care about the console war at this point. Well much anyway. Have too many real life issues to deal with but from a consumer point of view I'd say both sides are flaccid right about now. Where's No Mans Sky? How about some more KZ? Were close to two years in, bring me a sequel. Gimme some Driveclub news beyond layoffs and b*tching about the missing Plus version. How about DLC season 2. Where's my VR? Hows about some third party love? I need another Ghost Recon. Metal gear is a ways off but the next few months are stark all around. Eff Batman because its a rental just like Witcher. No Battlefield. Get some crappy Star Wars game instead and equally crappy night map on Battlefield. COD might be ok but I'm renting it, haven't played the last two very much.

Anthony I'm kind of feeling the blah I think you were talking about a while back. Between downgrades, bugs, and nothing earthshaking on the horizon its kind of depressing in a way. Still enjoying what I've got but kind of want something to look forward to as well.
IDK, I feel like the ps4 has done so much better is because of the better performance with some multiplatform games and that's mainly the reason. Their exclusives so far have been pretty mediocre including Driveclub. The last of us was great, but a ps3 game. One game I can't wait for is uncharted 4. I'll say that xbox seems like it's going to win this E3 and that might help them a bit too. This year Sony has no exclusives that sound great.

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #19746 of 19756 Old 05-28-2015, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
FYI Target is doing double the trade-in. I got 150 for five games
I just tried online and it seems to be over now...pissed that I missed out on this. I have 3 or 4 games I could have done without anymore.
post #19747 of 19756 Old 05-28-2015, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:

Summary: "I named a bunch of exclusive games that I didn't try but am still going to complain about a lack of exclusives anyway"

C'mon dude.

Try Bloodborne, I didn't like any of the Souls games either but Bloodborne sucked me in. I haven't touched anything since.

BTW, what is the "killer" first party game on the other box? We don't have an Uncharted/Halo type killer exclusive for either yet.

Until Dawn was just announced that it's coming out soon. August I think, which is ahead of when most assumed the game was coming. Doubt it'll classify as "killer exclusive", but it's yet another.

Volume sales are going to be made by the multiplats. People buying the console(s) this year aren't doing it for Halo or Uncharted. They will be playing COD, Madden, and maybe the revival Guitar Hero and Rockband. Halo will not save the Xbox One from being largely outsold by the PS4. Uncharted 4 slipping to 2016 will not save the Xbox One from being largely outsold. It's not about the killer AAAA exclusives anymore. Look at Nintendo, look at those exclusives. The PS4 was exactly what Sony needed, a reasonably priced (i.e., not $599) console that is really good at playing games. Period. No focus or mixed messages on TV watching and all that fluff. We have Roku sticks and AppleTVs for that, devices we didn't have when PS3/X360 launched. MS gambled on their trojan horse and it didn't pay off, luckily for them they have the massive success of the X360 to carry them through this as a solid #2 console.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #19748 of 19756 Old 05-28-2015, 05:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 959
The only thing I want to come out of E3 is a new XBOne and PS4 system that uses less power. At least I hope something is announced. IF so then I will be trading in my XBOnes and PS4 and get the new, lower power, replacements. If not then I will continue to use my 2013 consoles.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #19749 of 19756 Old 05-28-2015, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Apparently not...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/son.../1100-6427614/
post #19750 of 19756 Old 05-28-2015, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 39
If you are not into RPG's than this has been a sad year so far...at least for me. I own both consoles and the PS4 is used for PVZ and the Xbox for Minecraft. Both titles played by my son. Thankfully its summer and I could care less about gaming most nights....but geesh a non RPG fan might as well twiddle his thumbs waiting for a decent game.
Nayan likes this.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
post #19751 of 19756 Old 05-28-2015, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Halo isn't going to move 10mil consoles. It will sell game discs and probably convince a few 360 holdouts to upgrade, but I really think at this point the bulk of the X1 owners are established.

As far as killer titles, I cannot say what either console really has. Most of the big games are coming from 3rd party/indies and some have content/timed exclusives with both companies which maybe matters to some gamers. Yes the X1 does additional media that PS4 does, but in my experience it isnt better than say a true HTPC or chromecast. I could be inexperienced, but most of what I want to include while gaming on X1 (music streaming) requires snap, which is annoying because of lost screen space (please let me know if I have been doing it wrong).

As E3 is still a week out, I dunno how anyone can say Microsoft is going to win it. Whole point is to announce the titles that get people salivating/talking. Sony might drop a bombshell or they fizzle. Will the sales momentum continue, probably. Will MS close the gap? possibly. Does it really matter? No. People will pick one console as their primary and supplement exclusives with the other. Having either company dominate sales doesn't benefit anyone really.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #19752 of 19756 Old 05-28-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 345
I understand this is just one man's opinion but I'm loving the crap out of my Piss4 at the moment. Drive Club has been a true sleeper hit for me, Bloodborne is bloody brilliant (but I fully expected that with Miyazaki at the helm), Witcher 3 is phenomenal, Project Cars is #RACECAR !.... hell this leaves the pretty darn great Far Cry 4 as a game that gets left by its lonesome on the bookshelf.

What remains is a looooong list of titles that I unfortunately just have to ignore including Shadows of Mordor, FIFA 15, GTA V, BF4 MP, Advance Warfare, all the Lego games, Wolfenstein, Minecraft, Evolve, LBP3, NHL 15, the Metro games, MLB 15, Mortal Kombat X, Rayman Legends and whatever else I can't think of. Hell the MXGP 14 looks damn cool!
http://www.amazon.com/MXGP-14-Motocr..._6427831011_95

Then there are all the very respectable PS+ offerings (ie Vandal Hearts, Guacamelee, Never Alone, Apotheon, etc) that don't get played much. I truly am experiencing an embarrassment of gaming riches. I can't play them all. But that's just me.
kamouflage and freemeat like this.
post #19753 of 19756 Old 05-29-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 562
The Xbox One outsold the PS4 by 13k last month, mostly due to PS4 supply issues at Amazon and some killer deals on the Xbox One. It was a nice recovery, but it isn't going to change the tide significantly unless it continues to grow. PS4 has a multi million lead in the US and an over 10 million lead worldwide.

As for the mention of new models, next year at the earliest sadly. The tech for a die shrink on the apus isn't quite there yet, but should be there come 2016. I plan to upgrade then as well, my PS4 is getting louder thanks to dust build up, and I'd rather not crack it open to clean it.
post #19754 of 19756 Old 05-29-2015, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 686
I am in the same boat, so much to play and not enough time. This has been a far better first year and half than the last gen for me by far.

Driveclub is incredible and Bloodborne is indeed bloody brilliant. Plenty of others and a lot of good 3rd party content as well. I can't complain that I am so behind on many games.

Witcher is sucking up my time and still working on Bloodborne pus I just bought The New Order. I hope they add more tracks to DriveClub as well, we seem to keep getting more and more cars.
post #19755 of 19756 Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hmm Driveclub seems to get decent reviews so am considering picking it up. Having had a look on Amazon, it costs around $40. Any good deals on at the moment?
post #19756 of 19756 Old Today, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just got my PS4, quite impressed with it so far.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Console , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 4 Games , Sony
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page