PlayStation 4 - Page 677 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #20281 of 20297 Old 07-29-2015, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketnis View Post
I've gone back and forth between HDMI/optical audio and could detect no difference in input lag between going through the receiver and directly to the TV. This is with a Yamaha receiver in "direct" video mode and TV in PC mode.

Personally, since I don't watch movies on my PS4, only use 5.1 channels, and only one PS4 game actually has uncompressed sound files, optical is fine for now.
Which game has lossless audio? Is there a list, like there is for PS3 games?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20282 of 20297 Old 07-30-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
PlayStation 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post
Which game has lossless audio? Is there a list, like there is for PS3 games?

All of them. At least on the output. Actually putting uncompressed sound files on the disc shouldn't matter when the audio is a processed mix of dozens of sound effects, dialog and a score. Any sort of minor quality improvement from uncompressed source files isn't going to survive all that.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510

Last edited by bd2003; 07-30-2015 at 09:22 AM.
post #20283 of 20297 Old 07-30-2015, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Apparently, Sony is going to have a voting system where we vote for our free games for the upcoming month. Three options in the first vote, all indie games. Call me cynical, but this leads me to further believe that the AAA games are not going to be coming, or at least regularly, and this is their way of sort of "throwing us a bone" to ease the sting. At any rate, my PS Plus membership will be expiring sometime in the next few months and unless I buy an online shooter this fall (unlikely, may pass on Star Wars in favor of MGS, Fallout), I won't be renewing.
post #20284 of 20297 Old 07-30-2015, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Love my PS4!
post #20285 of 20297 Old 07-30-2015, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
All of them. At least on the output. Actually putting uncompressed sound files on the disc shouldn't matter when the audio is a processed mix of dozens of sound effects, dialog and a score. Any sort of minor quality improvement from uncompressed source files isn't going to survive all that.
Yeah, that's been my practical experience, as well. Optical as good as HDMI, in this case. I think there was a more quantitative difference with LPCM vs. DD/DTS on PS3.
Certainly a few native 7.1 games on PS3 as well.
post #20286 of 20297 Old 07-31-2015, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I wish Sony had more pressure to expand PS4 features and services. However, they seem to sell them regardless.

http://www.geek.com/games/sony-has-s...x-360-1629779/
post #20287 of 20297 Old 07-31-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyp View Post
I wish Sony had more pressure to expand PS4 features and services. However, they seem to sell them regardless.
I agree. During the first year or two of PS3, it was exciting to get firmware updates and to review PS store, because something new was almost always coming. After all this time, there's still nothing on PS4 like that. XBOX One just got some new things added, such as streaming on a PC and some backward compatibility (which it appears to me is really just the ability to download a new version), but nothing exciting new on the PS4 has come around.
reddice and Nayan like this.
post #20288 of 20297 Old 07-31-2015, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I have a ps4 and Xbox one and the ps4 gets no love always off. Xbox one gets more play in my house. I like the ps4 but the lack of remote control makes it hard for me to use it daily.
reddice likes this.
post #20289 of 20297 Old 07-31-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Sadly I haven't touched mine in months. The only thing coming out that interests me is Fallout 4, but even then I am thinking about getting the PC version, since I've been doing more gaming that way instead of using the consoles.

You know you're getting old when the candles on your birthday cake cost more than the cake itself. Crap I say
post #20290 of 20297 Old 07-31-2015, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Same here, it just sits there collecting dust. Waste of money. Last game I really played on it was Second Son, then Trials. Nothing since. Mind you my PC gets the multiplats so if I had no PC things might be different. Then again, I still hate that controller.
Nayan and azz7686 like this.
post #20291 of 20297 Old 08-01-2015, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I enjoy my PS4 for games, even though I have a decent game PC next to it (which was last used for multiplayer Elder Scrolls). I just wish it was more than that. At least it has me use my Tivo Roamio's streaming services which are pretty nice with the search functionality and of course remote control integration.

Talking to my future son-in-law (a Xbox lifer), he is very disappointed in MSoft in terms of software reliability and substance. Even the new Halo will not support split screen probably due to frame rate issues, but the 360 had this feature. I guess the grass always looks greener, but it might be weeds!
post #20292 of 20297 Old 08-01-2015, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 101
This gen in general has been disappointing. I dont feel like I havent gotten my moneys worth, but there just havent been any wow moments or games for me. Still plenty of time to turn things around.
newfmp3 and Nayan like this.
post #20293 of 20297 Old 08-01-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Probably already been posted, but...

http://hometheaterreview.com/playsta...emote-control/

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
post #20294 of 20297 Old 08-01-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgdeuce View Post
This gen in general has been disappointing. I dont feel like I havent gotten my moneys worth, but there just havent been any wow moments or games for me. Still plenty of time to turn things around.
Yeah I agree. It's not just Sony. Things on the Xbox aren't much better. This gen is a bust. The hardware on both sides is underwhelming at best. Yes BOTH systems. The games just aren't coming out. The systems themselves can't even replace the last gen for things like media. I find PC is giving me more wow moments by far but it too is plagued with Bad ports (thanks ubisoft!)

Overall, it's not a good time for gaming. There are some gems here and there but overall I'm not impressed anymore.
Nayan likes this.
post #20295 of 20297 Old 08-01-2015, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post
I have a ps4 and Xbox one and the ps4 gets no love always off. Xbox one gets more play in my house. I like the ps4 but the lack of remote control makes it hard for me to use it daily.
My TV remote works for the PS4. We can use either the PS4 or PS3 as a bluray player, but the PS3 sounds like a jet is always idling.

What I did tonight was turn on the PS4 from the front panel and used the face recognition to login -- I didn't need to touch a PS4 controller!
post #20296 of 20297 Old Today, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What 7.1 format is sent over Toslink? I know the actual optical is more than capable but what format would be used?
My memory is a bit fuzzy, but Dolby Digital Plus sounds about right, as it supports 7.1 channels. It's only used in streaming video now, but it was the codec of choice for HD-DVD, which died out before HDMI took hold.
post #20297 of 20297 Unread Today, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
Yeah I agree. It's not just Sony. Things on the Xbox aren't much better. This gen is a bust. The hardware on both sides is underwhelming at best. Yes BOTH systems. The games just aren't coming out. The systems themselves can't even replace the last gen for things like media. I find PC is giving me more wow moments by far but it too is plagued with Bad ports (thanks ubisoft!)

Overall, it's not a good time for gaming. There are some gems here and there but overall I'm not impressed anymore.
I think the complete opposite of literally everything you wrote. Well, except not replacing last gen for (non blu-ray) media, but I don't care about that. I've probably spent more time on DriveClub and Bloodborne then any two games in the entire last generation.

[EDIT] And I forgot about PvG:GW which I've spent a ton of time on as well. Really looking forward to GW2.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Console , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 4 Games , Sony
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page