PlayStation 4 - Page 685 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1418Likes

Old 09-30-2015, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Oh, well that's what I get for reading to much Reddit, just ignore my previous post.

So, should we start one for AVS? Who wants to do it? Guess I could but will I be stuck managing it forever?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2015, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Nice! You now see how much online storage is left!!
Old 10-01-2015, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
Oh, well that's what I get for reading to much Reddit, just ignore my previous post.

So, should we start one for AVS? Who wants to do it? Guess I could but will I be stuck managing it forever?

From what I can see from the ones I'm in no one is really in charge. Anyone can change the name/logo. It can get annoying when you have 12 people messaging at once. Turn those message notifications off

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
Old 10-01-2015, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

That's odd, I tried to edit one I was in last night just to see if I could and it would not let me. It was one for The Adult Gamer and it was set to join by request only.

They don't seem quite as useful as I thought they were going to be, you can't even see when other members are online unless you are already friends with them.

Anyway, if no one else creates one for AVS by this evening then I may go ahead and create one and see how it goes.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's odd, I tried to edit one I was in last night just to see if I could and it would not let me. It was one for The Adult Gamer and it was set to join by request only.

They don't seem quite as useful as I thought they were going to be, you can't even see when other members are online unless you are already friends with them.

Anyway, if no one else creates one for AVS by this evening then I may go ahead and create one and see how it goes.
There's communities and there's groups. Communities are a bit more restrictive. The Driveclub community for Evo Studios was open but to join the NeoGAF one I had to ask.

Groups can apparently be created by anyone and anyone can be added at any time. All of a sudden my phone went bananas yesterday with PSN messages. Can't see the danger in this...trolls unite! I thought groups would be a me thing not an us thing. So grouping randoms into a "Who the Fk is This Group" may not come off as well as I thought it would.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Would this 2TB hard drive (removed from case) be a good replacement drive for my PS4? Best Buy has it on sale at the moment:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate-...;skuId=2944503
Old 10-01-2015, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
Would this 2TB hard drive (removed from case) be a good replacement drive for my PS4? Best Buy has it on sale at the moment:

Looking at just the first page of reviews 2 folks did just that and put the original PS4 drive into the enclosure to use as an external drive. Looking at reviews it works. It also is 87.99 from Amazon.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyp View Post
Looking at just the first page of reviews 2 folks did just that and put the original PS4 drive into the enclosure to use as an external drive. Looking at reviews it works. It also is 87.99 from Amazon.
Thank you. I’d rather just pick it up on the way home today, so BB it is. The only time I use amazon for purchases anymore is when I can save a significant amount, or it is an item that I can’t find in-store. I used amazon more often before they started charging sales tax on everything.

These also look awesome, IMO:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/pl...ssories-145859
Old 10-01-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Amazon has PS4 controllers significantly cheaper than that though.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Amazon has PS4 controllers significantly cheaper than that though.
Good thing BB price matches Amazon...
Old 10-01-2015, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I'm just joking around (mostly!) but I'm a little different than most. For my company, I work from home, and the nearest Best Buy is about 15-20 minutes due to traffic. I'd rather sit here and order than go to BB. Plus I have zero wear and tear on my car and no fuel cost to sit here and click a button.
Nayan likes this.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
I'm just joking around (mostly!) but I'm a little different than most. For my company, I work from home, and the nearest Best Buy is about 15-20 minutes due to traffic. I'd rather sit here and order than go to BB. Plus I have zero wear and tear on my car and no fuel cost to sit here and click a button.
I was joking as well. I meant good thing BB price matches Amazon, because that whole $4.44 USD I save buying a DS4 via Amazon is really going to help. /sarcasm

I'm all for Amazon, but sometimes I need a product that same day. I don't actually enjoy going to BB though.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
Oooh, good call on FFXII. Even though I mentioned two other RPGs, this one slipped my mind. Personally I hated how every character could use any weapon so there was no real distinction, but still that was the last Final Fantasy game I truly enjoyed. While not true turn-based, the action did stop when you were making a choice and I liked that. I hate the whole non-stop rapid fire action of RPGs these days and probably won't even buy FFXV because of it.

I'm fine to give Final Fantasy XV a shot at being an Action RPG. In fact it is currently my most anticipated tittle (after that, Persona 5!) since I have been following that game when it was called Versus XIII.

I am very interested to see how Final Fantasy will translate to being a Western-ish open-world style action RPG. I think it could work if done properly. I certainly like the explorations aspects I have seen thus far. And the Chocobo racing/riding elements look very, very fun.

If the world is appropriately large and terrain varied but yet still full of mystery and danger, I could see XV being one of the best Final Fantasy games in years, despite the change in battlesystem.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Old 10-02-2015, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 344
With this new groups thing it would be really nice to be able to access the threads or "messages" and be able to communicate through to them using my desktop pc.

I'm guessing this is still not available, and that the PS App is the only thing outside of using the PS4 console that we can use?
Old 10-02-2015, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 344
With this new groups thing it would be really nice to be able to access the threads or "messages" and be able to communicate through to them using my desktop pc.

I'm guessing this is still not available, and that the PS App is the only thing outside of using the PS4 console that we can use?
Old 10-02-2015, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Developing a stutter?
Old 10-02-2015, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
I'm fine to give Final Fantasy XV a shot at being an Action RPG. In fact it is currently my most anticipated tittle (after that, Persona 5!) since I have been following that game when it was called Versus XIII.

I am very interested to see how Final Fantasy will translate to being a Western-ish open-world style action RPG. I think it could work if done properly. I certainly like the explorations aspects I have seen thus far. And the Chocobo racing/riding elements look very, very fun.

If the world is appropriately large and terrain varied but yet still full of mystery and danger, I could see XV being one of the best Final Fantasy games in years, despite the change in battlesystem.
That's just it, for me combat is everything in these type of games. I personally couldn't care less about storylines or characters. So, if the battle is hectic and non-stop, I have a hard time enjoying it.

But I digress. This is more a conversation for that thread instead of here.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
That's just it, for me combat is everything in these type of games. I personally couldn't care less about storylines or characters. So, if the battle is hectic and non-stop, I have a hard time enjoying it.

But I digress. This is more a conversation for that thread instead of here.

well then lets carry this into the FFXV thread. It needs more love.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Old 10-02-2015, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Favorite groups seems like a missed opportunity altogether, I see many complaints online about how they were implemented. From what I read it sounds like they are just a fancier group message. It spams all members of the group with every change or new message posted. Any member can edit the name and image. Anyone in the group can add other players to the group. Seems like some of these features would have been more useful in the new communities. The main thing that I don't like about communities is that it doesn't show the online status of the other members, favorite groups does.

I thought groups was going to be away that I could personally organize my friends lists and communities where the public grouping feature. Seems like favorite groups and communities overlap there usefulness a little, while both have some kinks that need ironing out.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

My PS4's HD is overloaded and thanks to PS+ I have tons of free games waiting to be downloaded. Plus Xmas is coming... It's too much for my kids at this point to manage deleting games and downloading others from the Library.

Can someone please give me a dummies guide to swapping out the existing HD drive for a new one to ensure that all game saves/progress get transferred over as well? Kids have done way too much in Terraria and Minecraft (and other games...) to lose all that. There are 3 profiles on the machine, and we'd want saves/progress for all maintained.

Many TIA.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Old 10-03-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
My PS4's HD is overloaded and thanks to PS+ I have tons of free games waiting to be downloaded. Plus Xmas is coming... It's too much for my kids at this point to manage deleting games and downloading others from the Library.

Can someone please give me a dummies guide to swapping out the existing HD drive for a new one to ensure that all game saves/progress get transferred over as well? Kids have done way too much in Terraria and Minecraft (and other games...) to lose all that. There are 3 profiles on the machine, and we'd want saves/progress for all maintained.

Many TIA.
Direct from Sony https://support.us.playstation.com/a...grade-PS4-HDD/

You'll backup all your saves either to ps+ cloud or another external drive, ideally this method so you can get screenshots and videos too. Then yank original drive, install new one, initialize and install the firmware, from usb ideally. That should be it. Can probably find a YouTube walk through as well

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @roguengames
YouTube Gameplay Videos

I am the greatest MGO player eva!! - http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415/v/24236420
Old 10-04-2015, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Don’t forget to check “applications” when backing up your PS4 data if you want to backup your installed digital downloads. This will save you from having to re-download everything from PSN. I had 366GB worth of digital content on my PS4, and it took about 6-7 hours to backup everything to an external hard drive. FYI, the external hard drive you use to backup your content needs to be FAT32 format.

I also picked up a cheap thumb drive to load the new firmware once the 2TB is in place.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
Direct from Sony https://support.us.playstation.com/a...grade-PS4-HDD/

You'll backup all your saves either to ps+ cloud or another external drive, ideally this method so you can get screenshots and videos too. Then yank original drive, install new one, initialize and install the firmware, from usb ideally. That should be it. Can probably find a YouTube walk through as well
Quote:
Don’t forget to check “applications” when backing up your PS4 data if you want to backup your installed digital downloads. This will save you from having to re-download everything from PSN. I had 366GB worth of digital content on my PS4, and it took about 6-7 hours to backup everything to an external hard drive. FYI, the external hard drive you use to backup your content needs to be FAT32 format.

I also picked up a cheap thumb drive to load the new firmware once the 2TB is in place.
Thanks guys. I checked the Sony link and a few other links therein. I don't see any more explicit instructions however, so my question now is: when I connect the FAT32 formatted USB drive, does some menu pop up with options to back up (including the option to check "applications" as Radio81 mentioned? Or is that somewhere already in the PS4 menu system?

Thanks, and sorry to be dense. Just don't want to screw this up

Double True!
Old 10-04-2015, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks guys. I checked the Sony link and a few other links therein. I don't see any more explicit instructions however, so my question now is: when I connect the FAT32 formatted USB drive, does some menu pop up with options to back up (including the option to check "applications" as Radio81 mentioned? Or is that somewhere already in the PS4 menu system?

Thanks, and sorry to be dense. Just don't want to screw this up
Na. Plug the FAT32 formatted USB drive in, on your PS4 go to Settings>System>Backup and Restore> Back up PS4. The “applications” checkbox will be on the next page if I remember correctly.

FYI, I used this guide: http://trendblog.net/how-to-replace-...-4-hard-drive/
Old 10-04-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Na. Plug the FAT32 formatted USB drive in, on your PS4 go to Settings>System>Backup and Restore> Back up PS4. The “applications” checkbox will be on the next page if I remember correctly.

FYI, I used this guide: http://trendblog.net/how-to-replace-...-4-hard-drive/
PERFECT, thanks!!

Double True!
Old 10-04-2015, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

No problem, man. I had to look up the procedure as well. Sometime earlier this year in a previous firmware update, Sony added the ability to backup your application data. Looking at some other PS4 hard drive replacement guides last night, I was getting mixed info. For instance, one website article was dated January 2015, and said it was not possible (at that time) to back up application data and everything (game & app data) had to be re-downloaded. I have no desire to do all that again. I’ve already had to uninstall certain games to keep room available on the OEM 500GB drive for newer content. Even downloading 100GB+ of data will take forever on my 18MBps connection.

Let’s hope 2TB will be enough to last quite a while.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

PlayStation 4

Uploading to the PS+ cloud is only possible for the subscriber's games saves, other users on your PS4 cannot upload to your PS+, at least I haven't figured out how to do it. I swear Sony said, before the PS4 was released, this was going to be possible as long as one person on the system was a subscriber. Guess they changed there mind or I'm remembering wrong.

This brings up a point I don't like about the PS4. When I view the saved system data, I only see my game saves, not other user's stuff unless I login to there profile. I'm an IT guy so this just annoys me, as a computer admin I'm use to being able to see everything in the file structure, even other user's data. It just makes it a pain to manage storage on the PS4 because you have to log in to each profile to remove or manage all the game saves.

When you do a backup, does it grab everyone's game saves for all users on the PS4 or do you have to switch to each profile and backup there stuff separately?

Last edited by rolltide1017; 10-04-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Uploading to the PS+ cloud is only possible for the subscriber's games saves, other users on your PS4 cannot upload to your PS+, at least I haven't figured out how to do it. I swear Sony said, before the PS4 was released, this was going to be possible as long as one person on the system was a subscriber. Guess they changed there mind or I'm remembering wrong.

This brings up a point I don't like about the PS4. When I view the saved system data, I only see my game saves, not other user's stuff unless I login to there profile. I'm an IT guy so this just annoys me, as a computer admin I'm use to being able to see everything in the file structure, even other user's data. It just makes it a pain to manage storage on the PS4 because you have to log in to each profile to remove or manage all the game saves.

When you do a backup, does it grab everyone's game saves for all users on the PS4 or do you have to switch to each profile and backup there stuff separately?
Not sure, but I will check. Just finished the backup last night, and it still kept my brother's login info. I'll check to see if it grabbed his game saves as well, although I've already confirmed they are in fact on the cloud.

That's one of my favorite features of this system. Love playing couch co-op on one system, and then being able to download and play on another system and not miss a beat.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
PERFECT, thanks!!
I wanted to add to this because I didn’t see it mentioned in the guide that I linked. When you go to the Sony support page for the latest software update, the first download link you will come across is for users who only want to update their firmware. The file size was around 244MB. There is a 2nd download link lower on the page for users who want to do a full reinstall of the system software. This file was over 800MB and is the one you want.

I spent probably 30min or so not knowing this, wondering why my new usb stick wasn’t working with the 244MB file, and tried an older usb stick to no avail. Was scratching my head when I googled and found the 2nd link.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I wanted to add to this because I didn’t see it mentioned in the guide that I linked. When you go to the Sony support page for the latest software update, the first download link you will come across is for users who only want to update their firmware. The file size was around 244MB. There is a 2nd download link lower on the page for users who want to do a full reinstall of the system software. This file was over 800MB and is the one you want.

I spent probably 30min or so not knowing this, wondering why my new usb stick wasn’t working with the 244MB file, and tried an older usb stick to no avail. Was scratching my head when I googled and found the 2nd link.
Thanks much. Drives should arrive tomorrow so I'm very grateful you posted this first

EDIT: and thanks too to Rolltide for your thoughts and questions as well, very important to me

Double True!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Console , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 4 Games , Sony