PlayStation 4 - Page 695 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1374Likes
post #20821 of 20833 Unread 02-01-2016, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 592
PSN isn't totally down again today.

:sarcasm:
Nayan likes this.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20822 of 20833 Unread 02-01-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2696 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
I don't use rest mode anymore. After losing power during a storm which corrupted the HDD and forced me to start over from scratch, I won't be using that feature.

Lesson learned though, I'm making backups now.
Or use a UPS. My PS4 has always been connected to a UPS. It has been fine with power outages and rest mode.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #20823 of 20833 Unread 02-01-2016, 11:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshetler View Post
I know this has probably been discussed, but i have not seen it. Is their going to be an update on the ps4 to be able to watch 4k movies or is that possible.
Quote:
Very doubtful. HDMI 1.4.

Get an NVidia Shield.
Or get a UHD BD player. They will be coming out later this month.

LED DLP
post #20824 of 20833 Unread 02-01-2016, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Or use a UPS. My PS4 has always been connected to a UPS. It has been fine with power outages and rest mode.
Which one? I've never had luck with mine staying online and I assume it was due to the device not being able to leverage the UPS software for power failure procedures.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @roguengames
YouTube Gameplay Videos

I am the greatest MGO player eva!! - http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415/v/24236420
post #20825 of 20833 Unread 02-01-2016, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 292
And that's the problem. If the UPS runs down, I'm in the same boat. Not worth it to me. I'll just shut it down.
post #20826 of 20833 Unread 02-01-2016, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Or get a UHD BD player. They will be coming out later this month.
I planned on getting a UHD BD player, but if my PS 4 was going to have some kind of a software update to be able to play UHD then not reason to spend the $$. I guess the UHD BD player is the way to go.
post #20827 of 20833 Unread 02-01-2016, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshetler View Post
I planned on getting a UHD BD player, but if my PS 4 was going to have some kind of a software update to be able to play UHD then not reason to spend the $$. I guess the UHD BD player is the way to go.
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/23...kuTz8IlDqUE.99

Quote:
Sony Computer Entertainment Executive Vice President Masayasu Ito spoke with 4Gamer to talk about future possibilities of an enhanced PlayStation 4 for Ultra HD Blu-ray compatibility.

During the recent interview, 4Gamer brings up the topic of Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray, and asks the Executive Vice President about Sony Computer Entertainment’s thoughts on the subject, and whether we’ll have some sort of compatibility with it in this era of the PlayStation 4.

“The Blu-ray disc drive that is currently installed in the PS4 is made exclusively for the Blu-ray disc player, so it cannot read the 3-layer media that is standardized by Ultra HD Blu-ray,” says Ito. “For this reason, the PlayStation 4 models that are out in the market cannot be compatible with Ultra HD Blu-ray.”

However, Ultra HD Blu-ray compatibility is something that the company is currently considering. Ito says, hypothetically speaking, they can indeed think of a way to make it possible, by making an enhanced PlayStation 4 model that is compatible with Ultra HD Blu-ray—but there’s more to it than that.

For example, “how many units of this enhanced PS4 will we be able to sell?” and “how much will we sell them for?” are just some of the questions that factor in the possibilities of making a new and improved PlayStation 4, which must carefully be examined through various perspectives. These are some of the topics that are currently in consideration.
I'm in no hurry to jump into UHD BD. I'm willing to wait to see what Sony does with the PS4 (maybe even PS5). I prefer having a spare console over having a dedicated player, unless there is no other choice.
post #20828 of 20833 Unread 02-01-2016, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/23...kuTz8IlDqUE.99

I'm in no hurry to jump into UHD BD. I'm willing to wait to see what Sony does with the PS4 (maybe even PS5). I prefer having a spare console over having a dedicated player, unless there is no other choice.
No hurry here either let them come down in price first.
toddman36 likes this.
post #20829 of 20833 Unread Yesterday, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm for sure going to wait on uhd players and TVs. The current stuff is good, but there offerings a year from now will be even better and cheaper.

My current setup is performing very well. There are gains I will be missing out on for the time being, but they don't outweigh the cost of upgrades and the fact that the tech is still being improved.

#pumpthebrakes
azz7686 likes this.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition mediocre minds..." A. Einstein
post #20830 of 20833 Unread Yesterday, 02:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
Which one? I've never had luck with mine staying online and I assume it was due to the device not being able to leverage the UPS software for power failure procedures.
Quote:
And that's the problem. If the UPS runs down, I'm in the same boat. Not worth it to me. I'll just shut it down.
I use APC 1500 models with the extended run time batteries attached to them. So the one that my PS4 is connected to, will get over 12 hours of run time with my devices connected to it. Unless I am using them during the power outage along with my TV and receiver. Then I'll only get around 2 or 3 hours of run time.

LED DLP
post #20831 of 20833 Unread Yesterday, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
I use APC 1500 models with the extended run time batteries attached to them. So the one that my PS4 is connected to, will get over 12 hours of run time with my devices connected to it. Unless I am using them during the power outage along with my TV and receiver. Then I'll only get around 2 or 3 hours of run time.
I totally understand. I'm in IT for my living, and have been since the 80s. I spend a lot of my time in places ranging from little server closets in small companies to some of the largest data centers on the planet. I have a total of 5 UPS's in my house (I had 6 but one failed recently), but I don't want to add another one just because the PS4 can't handle a blink when in sleep mode.
post #20832 of 20833 Unread Today, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 296
So... there are way too many games out recently or coming out that I am interested in. Just ridiculous.

-The Witness: out, by all accounts amazing, I need to play this
-Gravity Rush Remastered: out, seems awesome
-Unravel: looks amazing, first great platformer on PS4?, out next week
-Firewatch: could be a sleeper, seems very interesting, could be a nice story-heavy experience different from the other games coming out around this time; out next week
-PvZ:GW2: loved the first one, can play local split-screen in ALL MODES with my son, out in three weeks

...and I still need to find time for Battlefront, Rock Band 4 (going to be getting back into this now that the leaderboard wipe is done), and as always DriveClub. Oh yeah, I bought the Bloodborne Old Hunters expansion at release and I haven't even tried it yet .

I wanted to pick up the Uncharted Collection in the fall, but I decided to wait on it for when I had more time. But I don't think I am going to have more time for quite a while. Maybe I'll pick it up in the summer after I've played through Uncharted 4 a few times. Maybe. Of course, the spectre of PSVR is looming around that time, so yeah...

I know the "no games" narrative has been a joke for a really long time, but seriously... there are just too many games!
Nayan likes this.
post #20833 of 20833 Unread Today, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I was at Micro Center a few days ago and saw UPS systems for gaming consoles. Not sure what the difference is since they looked the same as the PC ones, but someone is making them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Console , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 4 Games , Sony
Gear in this thread