PlayStation 4 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 18579 Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 259
While this little fib isn't a big deal IMO (because I'm sure all those developers will make something for the PS4 eventually) it makes you wonder what else Sony may have stretched the truth about.

I don't know why but Deep Down has that feeling of being one of those games that never seems to come out. There always seems to be one in this big reveal shows that just keeps getting delayed and delayed before getting canceled altogether. I'm still waiting for that Indiana Jones game that Lucasarts showed tech demos of at a couple E3s a few years ago. Don't know why I feel this way towards Deep Down, maybe because of the style of the pre-rendered video they chose.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 18579 Old 02-25-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
Yeah, I dunno, this one is a headscratcher to me, but a total non issue. Everyone is going to be on board with the PS4 (and nextbox), the list was kind of meaningless in the first place.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #183 of 18579 Old 02-25-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
It just makes them look kind of dumb, since they were using it for bragging and have now had to revise it for whatever reasons.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #184 of 18579 Old 02-25-2013, 03:53 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

So is this another case of Sony blowing smoke? They've been known to make promises and statements that never come true, and this is just a weird story.

Seems to me much ado about nothing.
post #185 of 18579 Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
I don't know about a "non issue," but I doubt that it was intended to mislead. Someone seriously got their wires crossed because the revised list isn't just shorter; it's a completely revised list with completely different partners listed.

At least we know that Sony still has the same (very capable) marketing team! biggrin.gif

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #186 of 18579 Old 02-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Someone down the line who made the list probably got mixed information. Now the higher ups are looking at them like "WTF dude" and is now working at McDonalds.

I guess I'm not a man that looks at everything as if it was a conspiracy. You can't live like that, that's how wars get started. I'm sure someone screwed up on the list and wasn't intentional. Never know though.
post #187 of 18579 Old 02-25-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Sony made wholesale corrections to the list of European/PAL companies confirmed as PS4 developers and publishers, reducing the list of named studios from 53 to 28. Curiouser, not one of the developers and publishers named on the previous list makes an appearance on the new roll call. A spokesperson for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe confirmed to us the first list, sent out last week, was erroneous, and this new one is correct. There are no revisions for any other regions.

The new list removes a number of significant names, including Mojang (Minecraft), Rovio (Angry Birds), Frozenbyte, Criterion Games, and City Interactive. In their stead are some new noteworthy studios, such as CD Projekt, who've confirmed The Witcher 3 as a PS4 game. Also included are Bohemia Interactive, Deep Silver, Ninja Theory, IO Interactive, Codemasters, 2K Games, and Sumo Digital. The full list can be found after the break.

We've reached out to a number of studios for comment. Mojang's Daniel Kaplan reiterated to us the comments he gave to Gamasutra, saying his studio hasn't decided anything yet, and that the error is "confusion from Sony's side." Gamasutra's article also confirms Super Crate Box developer Vlambeer and Skulls of the Shogun creator 17-Bit, both included in the original list, as not currently working on anything for the PS4.

A spokesperson for Monsters (probably) Stole My Princess developer Mediatonic, included in the original list but not in the corrected one, told us he couldn't make any comment on his studio and PS4 development. Meanwhile, Sumo Digital's inclusion adds weight to the rumor the British studio is working on LittleBigPlanet 3, but for the PS4. When approached previously about LBP3, a studio representative told Joystiq, "No comment."

http://m.joystiq.com/2013/02/25/sony-completely-revises-list-of-ps4-eu-studios-down-from-53-to/

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #188 of 18579 Old 02-25-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps it was a list of small studios that Sony had hoped would sign on in some capacity. Maybe for their PS Mobile service?

post #189 of 18579 Old 02-26-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 31
From a Yahoo article:

"Shuhei Yoshida, the head of Sony’s Worldwide Studios, revealed in an interview with The Guardian that every single PlayStation 4 title will be available digitally and only some will be offered on discs."

I sure hope there has been something lost in translation or interpretation. If this is the case, I'm doomed!

bg
post #190 of 18579 Old 02-26-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post

From a Yahoo article:

"Shuhei Yoshida, the head of Sony’s Worldwide Studios, revealed in an interview with The Guardian that every single PlayStation 4 title will be available digitally and only some will be offered on discs."

I sure hope there has been something lost in translation or interpretation. If this is the case, I'm doomed!

PSN games.

post #191 of 18579 Old 02-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Every regular PS4 will be on disc, I don't think Sony would be retarded enough to pull off the whole only digital part, pretty sure they're talking about PSN games like bd mentioned.

There are many things against digital downloads, like:

- Many gamers like myself love to collect the games and gather all the cases nicely on shelf.
- PS4 games will be huge, not everyone has a great fast internet connection and some people don't even have access to one.
..etc

Regular PS4 games should be offered on disc or both, digital alone won't cut it.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #192 of 18579 Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post

From a Yahoo article:

I'll blame the translation. The phrase "only some" makes it sound like "not many," but I'm guessing every major $60 release will get a disc release at retail.

The reason the digital-only PSP Go failed was because retailers had no reason to support it. Without retail games to sell, retailers had no reason to sell the hardware. So unless Sony intends on opening a lot more Sony stores or only selling consoles by mail, they'll have to sell the majority of their games at retail. Digital only releases would also put most of us in bad shape with our data limits.

PCs and phones can go digital-only because people still buy PCs and phones for more reasons than just games. Consoles, by contrast, can't rely on that. They need the support of retailers (which is also why Sony won't block used games).

post #193 of 18579 Old 02-26-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'd like to know about Harmonix who was a part of the PS4 event.

You think you're bitter about losing BC ?

Us rockband players with 1000 songs (aka $2 grand) are super shafted at the moment.
post #194 of 18579 Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 188
If you're still wanting to play Rockband by the time PS4 comes out, you should probably keep the PS3 around. I think that genre is pretty much kaput at this point.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #195 of 18579 Old 02-26-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

I'd like to know about Harmonix who was a part of the PS4 event.

You think you're bitter about losing BC ?

Us rockband players with 1000 songs (aka $2 grand) are super shafted at the moment.

Heh, the rape has been going on there for quite a while. Why would anyone expect less rape?
post #196 of 18579 Old 02-26-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=516284&page=1

In a recent investor call EA tossed around the idea of $69 games... Nothing definite, but they are considering it.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #197 of 18579 Old 02-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Here is a more in-depth write up of that EA Investor call from Playstation Lifestyle--some good information about Next-Gen can be gleaned from the call.
Quote:
EA PS4 Meeting Recap: Between 8-10x Power, 1080p, 60FPS, “Unprecedented” Gameplay, Games Shown Before E3

February 26, 2013 Written by Sebastian Moss

The EA investor’s meeting focused on the PS4 is now over, here’s the highlights:

What is quoted is from EA’s CTO Rajat Taneja and Electronic Arts Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen, and some of what has been said has been shortened and paraphrased for clarity.

• “We are excited about Sony’s news”
  • “At EA, we have never been as prepared or more ready for the start of a new console cycle.”
  • “Not being at PS Meeting was not indicative at all. We’re maintaining a balance between other parties.”
  • “Between now and E3 you will see a lot from us… I’ve seen the new Battlefield and it is stunning. It is just amazing what the imagination of the game developers are allowed to do with that much power.”
  • “[PS4 and next Xbox are] between 8 and 10 times the power [of previous gen]“
  • “We no longer have to constrain our games. 1080p, 60FPS… [there will be a] level of gameplay that is unprecedented.”
  • “What used to take months in the past will now take days to do” [due to consoles being more like PCs].
  • “[There are] new IPs that we are building for this [upcoming] console generation.”
  • “100mil [has been spent on next gen] R&D. [EA will] moderate costs through cutbacks [(worrying)]“
  • “[EA is] assuming MS and Sony are more aligned in release dates.” [Basically saying the 720 will be out this holiday].
  • “Games have been in development for the past year” [for next gen]
  • ”5-10% increase in cost [of next gen development]… “but cost will increase in the future as the games get bigger.”
  • They expect to make more money on the bigger next gen titles than ever before -- “We had too many titles… now less but bigger.” Around 15 core titles.
  • On next gen game costs – “We haven’t set price, but you will probably see a similar trend [where prices go up $10, but then fall back down]“
  • On game user data – “We generate around 50 terabytes of game data every single day.” “We are applying techniques like machine learning, so that we can integrate [monetization and gameplay changes more effectively]“
  • There will be: “lower marketing expenses as we can connect directly to our core players [through existing games]“
  • “We all want more cash flow.”
  • Looking at “another publisher with two huge franchises [Activision]” and “continuing to support their own franchises, while investing in new IP”. Wouldn’t speculate on whether they think they’ll be able to have two franchises that bring in more than 50% of annual revenue.
  • On social – companies EA bought weren’t as successful as they hoped, but were not a failure. “PvZ and Bejeweled will continue to come to all platforms.”
  • While talking about social – “[But] we’ve seen the benefits of creating games like Battlefield and FIFA“
  • BF3 DLC brought in $150 million. Buzz behind DLC also led to new people buying the game.
  • On microtransactions: “We’re building into all our games the ability to pay for more, to unlock faster… trucks, levels, etc. microtransactions. Consumers love that.”

There you have it. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below, and be sure to tell us which games you want to see before E3.

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
post #198 of 18579 Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=516284&page=1

In a recent investor call EA tossed around the idea of $69 games... Nothing definite, but they are considering it.

That would be a great way for me to not buy any titles on day 1. I probably wouldn't bother buying a console at launch either.

With the rise of cheap ios gaming, our new plan is to raise prices!
Quote:
On microtransactions: “We’re building into all our games the ability to pay for more, to unlock faster… trucks, levels, etc. microtransactions. Consumers love that.

Who are the people that buy this stuff?
post #199 of 18579 Old 02-26-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Upping the cost of a game $10 is not enough to make me skip a generation of consoles.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #200 of 18579 Old 02-26-2013, 08:51 PM

Right? Whom are the suckers still buying lots of games day and date 1? Especially when 2 months later they're discounted at least 30%, and several later you can grab the GOTY with most or all DLC?

I say let them subsidize if they can't wait. Means more games for me.
post #201 of 18579 Old 02-26-2013, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 207
Waiting does have awesome benefits. Bugs are worked out, price is cheaper, and more extra content. Plowing through one's backlog and/or waiting for a sale makes this easier. Thanks for the EA info shadowlock.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #202 of 18579 Old 02-26-2013, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

With the rise of cheap ios gaming, our new plan is to raise prices!
Smart, right? wink.gif

Big publishers have backed themselves into a corner. Games are more expensive to make, the audience is no longer growing, and there's less competition now than six years ago. Either they figure out a way to convince gamers to spend more per game (DLC, higher prices, microtransactions, subscriptions), or they go out of business. And at some point, the first option is going to hit a wall...

They can keep delaying the inevitable, but sooner or later they'll have to figure out how to sell cheaper games at a higher profit.

post #203 of 18579 Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

Upping the cost of a game $10 is not enough to make me skip a generation of consoles.
If you let them get away with raising the price now, they'll do it again next time, and the next time and the next time... and POOF! You're paying $100 a game on day 1. If they raise the price to $70 then I can't wait to hear developers complaining about how day 1 game sales are down in a few years.

Also, where are these "consumers" that EA "talks" to that say they love micro-transactions? I don't think I've seen a single consumer praise micro-transactions on the handful of gaming forums I visit. EA is just out of touch with its consumers and what they are doing to Tiger Woods this year proves it. Removing the feature to earn DLC courses for free and trying to pass it off as doing a favor for gamers. They said it confused players last year... Yea right. What really happened is that to many hardcore players earned the courses for free and EA hated that because they missed out on a sale.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #204 of 18579 Old 02-26-2013, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

If you let them get away with raising the price now, they'll do it again next time, and the next time and the next time... and POOF! You're paying $100 a game on day 1. If they raise the price to $70 then I can't wait to hear developers complaining about how day 1 game sales are down in a few years.

One thing to remember though, games are actually pretty cheap if you consider inflation. Remember the SNES days ? Games were $59.99 and $64.99 and some were $69.99 Same thing with the N64 for awhile. Of course, a big part of that was the cost of making the actual cartridge, and playing for the physical product, but you also have to consider that budgets back then were a fraction of the current budgets. If the big time games like Infamous: Second Son and Watch Dogs and Killzone and all of that were $69.99 to start, I'm not sure that I would be totally crestfallen about it. They could price it that high for the first 60 days, then drop $10 to $59.99, then another month later, $49.99, etc, etc. Go ahead and start out higher to rape the first day buyers a little bit. I know it sucks for the peeps that can't contain themselves, and have to have it the first day, but thems the breaks.

A couple of years into this generation however, when the new console smell fades away, they need to drop back down to $59.99, and $49.99, etc. I don't mind them trying it out in the beginning. Just be quick with the discounts for those that can wait a few months.
post #205 of 18579 Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

A game that cost $1 million to make could cost $30 million to ship 1 million units to stores back in the SNES era. Now games cost pennies per copy to produce, but game dev costs have soared.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #206 of 18579 Old 02-27-2013, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
so games are becoming more expensive but launch-day DLC is becoming more common, some games are sold and they still feel like a beta. useless junk like call of duty elite where they charged $50 for features that most of them didnt work at all. and in response to the inflation comment, i do understand when inflation is but i never got that inflation raise at work. things cost more these days and the government isnt doing anything about it.
post #207 of 18579 Old 02-27-2013, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

One thing to remember though, games are actually pretty cheap if you consider inflation.
I'm usually one to point out this exact fact, but one thing to consider is that the audience kept growing, so prices could stay low. And as long as that audience continued to grow, prices could stay constant. But the bottom dropped out, and just when game publishers thought they'd tapped a new market (casuals), that fickle new market ditched them. So they were left with not just a stagnant market, but a shrinking one. It's a microcosm of what happened to the real estate market.

Anyhow, that's a long way of saying that rising prices aren't a sign of health for the games market or of stabilization. It's a sign of desperation.

post #208 of 18579 Old 02-27-2013, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Companies like EA are total scum. Destroying the very soul of gaming in search of more profits. Working at EA can be terrible, I know friends who spent years hardly seeing their families, then we're laid off while the execs gave themselves bonuses.

Thank god for first party studios owned by Sony/Nintendo, at least we get some exclusive games that are unique.
kwaidonjin likes this.
post #209 of 18579 Old 02-27-2013, 04:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

Who are the people that buy this stuff?

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind spending money on that stuff, but they probably have the data to back it up.

post #210 of 18579 Old 02-27-2013, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
I'll pay $70 if all DLCs will be free from now on, no more pay double the price to get the full game. I do buy my favorite games on day 1, even pre-order them.

Even though I'm very much against piracy, it's very tempting to join the dark side against companies that are getting too greedy, e.g Capcom, releasing Street Fighter X Tekken with 12 DLC exclusive characters right on the disc but locked and charging full price for the game, I mean who the **** do you think you are to do that? (I'm a competitive SF4 player and a lot of people in the scene feel the same way).

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page