PlayStation 4 - Page 702 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1442Likes

post #21031 of 21051 Old 09-22-2016, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 415
It's not totally useless, it's waiting for content. There's a difference. And thinking that Sony went to that effort (which I can assure you cost them money in engineering resources, testing, customer support, etc) as a bullet point is bordering on conspiracy theory logic. That said any confusion about whether it is games or streaming have been cleared up now, it's just games.

Gotta love Ars "don't read too much into it" Technica!
DaverJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21032 of 21051 Old 09-22-2016, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
It's not totally useless, it's waiting for content. There's a difference. And thinking that Sony went to that effort (which I can assure you cost them money in engineering resources, testing, customer support, etc) as a bullet point is bordering on conspiracy theory logic. That said any confusion about whether it is games or streaming have been cleared up now, it's just games.

Gotta love Ars "don't read too much into it" Technica!
Agreed. Even before this article and not knowing whether Netflix/Amazon would support 1080p HDR, I figured the apps would need an update to even enable it. I still turned HDR on to see whether enabling HDR would have an effect on the picture for non-HDR content in a negative way (it doesn't as far as I can tell).

Now it's just waiting for content, some of which should come out with the Pro if not sooner. Patches for existing games (The Last of Us Remastered and Uncharted 4, for example) could also come at any time.

I see HDR for the regular PS4 as an unexpected but nice extra feature. I already have access to HDR-capable apps for Amazon and Netflix, so not having them on the PS4 doesn't really make a difference to me.
Abaddon likes this.
post #21033 of 21051 Old 09-22-2016, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 60
we all knew that netflix/amazon/vudu only support HDR on 4k streams, not sure why anyone is surprised about this

question is that we are in the dark at this point on when current games will finally get the patch to support HDR

another question is how the current PS4 models with the v4.0 update need to be cabled to the TV sets. I have an LG uh8500 TV, and I'm using the hdmi cable that came with my PS4 model (bought it last year, model that came with Uncharted 1-3). In order to support HDR over 1080p from any of the patched games (Uncharted 4, Last of Us, etc) will I need to replace the cable with a newer 18gbps cable?
post #21034 of 21051 Old 09-22-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
question is that we are in the dark at this point on when current games will finally get the patch to support HDR
That's going to get cleared up at some point, but if you take your cue from how Sony is mandating that the regular PS4 isn't left behind with respect to features it is capable of, it should be pretty obvious.
Quote:
another question is how the current PS4 models with the v4.0 update need to be cabled to the TV sets. I have an LG uh8500 TV, and I'm using the hdmi cable that came with my PS4 model (bought it last year, model that came with Uncharted 1-3). In order to support HDR over 1080p from any of the patched games (Uncharted 4, Last of Us, etc) will I need to replace the cable with a newer 18gbps cable?
Now that is a very good question. Sony hasn't said anything about it, that I am aware of and HDR at the same resolution as non-HDR is a much smaller increase in bandwidth than 4k is compare to 1080p, so hopefully the regular cables will just work.
post #21035 of 21051 Old 09-22-2016, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
we all knew that netflix/amazon/vudu only support HDR on 4k streams, not sure why anyone is surprised about this

Current games are going to be on a game by game basis. Witcher 3, for example, won't be getting an update at all.

No one has mentioned anything about needing a different HDMI cable. I guess the PS4 is still working within the limits of HDMI 1.4, but that's not 100% clear.
post #21036 of 21051 Old 09-24-2016, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshetler View Post
I watch a lot of blue ray's & 3D blue ray's on my PS4 and I have never had any issues. I also have an Atmos AVR and Atmos speakers and the sound it great also. I have a 4K tv and the upscale an the blue ray's is excellent.
Can you tell me how you are getting your PS4 to send an Atmos signal? I have tried everything. Even followed all the recommended settings. It will only send TrueHD. Same Blu disc in my Samsung 4K player connected to my same receiver sends the Atmos signal with no problem. Thanks!
post #21037 of 21051 Old 09-24-2016, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by whysoblu View Post
Can you tell me how you are getting your PS4 to send an Atmos signal? I have tried everything. Even followed all the recommended settings. It will only send TrueHD. Same Blu disc in my Samsung 4K player connected to my same receiver sends the Atmos signal with no problem. Thanks!
Are you hookup with the 2 HDMI wire hookup or just a single HDMI?

Samsung 65JS9000
Denon AVRX2200W
PS4
Pioneer Elite Atmos SP-EBS73 Bookshelf Speakers
Direct TV
Samsung UBD-K8500
post #21038 of 21051 Old 09-24-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Your message on the x2200 post was wrong post for PS4 questions. I did the reset quite awhile ago I don't remember what I do I did after I held the button down for 10 seconds. Make sure your PS4 is set to bitstream. If you are still having problems call me and I will try to help because everyone on this forum has helped me.

Samsung 65JS9000
Denon AVRX2200W
PS4
Direct TV
Samsung UBD-K8500
post #21039 of 21051 Old 09-24-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Are you hookup with the 2 HDMI wire hookup or just a single HDMI?
My PS4 goes straight to the Denon S710W Atmos receiver via HDMI cable. In general audio settings it it set to Linear PCM, but during disc playback it is set to Bitstream Direct and Atmos is selected on Blu-ray.

That same receiver has my Samsung 4K player hanging off of it and Atmos plays fine on that.

I use the PS4 for Blu-ray reviews (Samsung for 4K reviews), but lately just noticed no Atmos on the PS4 playback on Atmos titles, it is only sending TrueHD to the receiver.

How do I call you if needed? :-)
post #21040 of 21051 Old 09-24-2016, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
My PS4 goes straight to the Denon S710W Atmos receiver via HDMI cable. In general audio settings it it set to Linear PCM, but during disc playback it is set to Bitstream Direct and Atmos is selected on Blu-ray.
Hi whysoblu, under settings the PS4 should be set to bitstream (Dolby). Then in the settings menu of the disc, you select Atmos as the sound source. Then when running the movie, you press the options key of the controller and (again) you need to select bitstream for the hdmi out.
post #21041 of 21051 Old 09-24-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi whysoblu, under settings the PS4 should be set to bitstream (Dolby). Then in the settings menu of the disc, you select Atmos as the sound source. Then when running the movie, you press the options key of the controller and (again) you need to select bitstream for the hdmi out.
Yep I have tried all of that :-) It just won't work at all.
post #21042 of 21051 Old 09-24-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
my ps4 goes straight to the denon s710w atmos receiver via hdmi cable. In general audio settings it it set to linear pcm, but during disc playback it is set to bitstream direct and atmos is selected on blu-ray.

That same receiver has my samsung 4k player hanging off of it and atmos plays fine on that.

I use the ps4 for blu-ray reviews (samsung for 4k reviews), but lately just noticed no atmos on the ps4 playback on atmos titles, it is only sending truehd to the receiver.

How do i call you if needed? :-)
972-489-4218

Samsung 65JS9000
Denon AVRX2200W
PS4
Direct TV
Samsung UBD-K8500
post #21043 of 21051 Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM

Quote:
972-489-4218
Thanks I will most likely call you today! Appreciate it.
post #21044 of 21051 Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
I don't get how this conversation has gotten this far when the very company points out the consoles do not do Dolby Atmos. We knew this before Atmos came out. The closest to games it has been available is on PC and it is clear it is not a able for Consoles for games/movies.

http://developer.dolby.com/tools-tech.aspx#new-tech

Dolby Atmos is not available for console games at this time. Please check back for updates. If you are interested in developing a PC title with Atmos, please contact us.

The 5.0 is here
post #21045 of 21051 Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
I don't get how this conversation has gotten this far when the very company points out the consoles do not do Dolby Atmos. We knew this before Atmos came out. The closest to games it has been available is on PC and it is clear it is not a able for Consoles for games/movies.

http://developer.dolby.com/tools-tech.aspx#new-tech

Dolby Atmos is not available for console games at this time. Please check back for updates. If you are interested in developing a PC title with Atmos, please contact us.
I am not trying to get Atmos from games, but Blu-rays that have Dolby Atmos tracks. That "should" work on the PS4. Every one else has it working.
post #21046 of 21051 Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM

So last night I was playing with the Denon's iOS app and found that when I clicked on Dolby TrueHD or whatever audio the receiver was playing on the app it gave me this whole list of changes.

So today I popped back in the BvS Dolby Atmos 1080p Blu-ray and touched TrueHD on the iOS app. I got the long list and tried pressing a few of the audio choices. I touched Dolby Surround and BOOM there app changed to display Atmos at top and my receiver's front panel changed and my Atmos firing speakers came to life.

Now tell me who the hell would have ever known to do this, especially on the iOS app of all places?

Ha ha I am just glad it's working now. Thank you everyone for offering your help and advice. Even if it didn't work, I want you to know how appreciative I am for the offers and comments. Have a good one! I'm going to rock out to some Atmos now :-)
post #21047 of 21051 Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Quote:
So last night I was playing with the Denon's iOS app and found that when I clicked on Dolby TrueHD or whatever audio the receiver was playing on the app it gave me this whole list of changes.

So today I popped back in the BvS Dolby Atmos 1080p Blu-ray and touched TrueHD on the iOS app. I got the long list and tried pressing a few of the audio choices. I touched Dolby Surround and BOOM there app changed to display Atmos at top and my receiver's front panel changed and my Atmos firing speakers came to life.

Now tell me who the hell would have ever known to do this, especially on the iOS app of all places?

Ha ha I am just glad it's working now. Thank you everyone for offering your help and advice. Even if it didn't work, I want you to know how appreciative I am for the offers and comments. Have a good one! I'm going to rock out to some Atmos now :-)
Hi whysoblu, was going to suggest what listening mode was offer when you press and hold movie,music,or game button on the remote. But glad you got it, enjoy.
post #21048 of 21051 Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi whysoblu, was going to suggest what listening mode was offer when you press and hold movie,music,or game button on the remote. But glad you got it, enjoy.
Thank you! You would think there would be some Denon manual that would say this. That would be too easy :-)
post #21049 of 21051 Old Today, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, ever since the update 4.0 I am having issues with my PS4 and Marantz 5010 receiver. The issue I am having is that i can't get 1080p resolution. I have the PS4 connected to my Marantz along with my xbox one s, apple tv and directv receiver. All other devices display in all resolutions including 4K with the xbox one s without issues. Prior to the update the PS4 displayed 1080p. I connected the PS4 directly to the TV using the same cable that connect the receiver to the TV and no problems. As soon as i hook it up to the receiver it won't display 1080p. I have it manually set to 1080i right now and it displays picture just fine. All the deep color/hdr setting on the PS4 are off. All the video conversion, i/p scalar options on the receiver all off. It should pass right through how all my other devices do but for some reason the update is not allowing a 1080p resolution to go through. I get sound just not video. Any thoughts?
post #21050 of 21051 Old Today, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI SHANT View Post
Hello, ever since the update 4.0 I am having issues with my PS4 and Marantz 5010 receiver. The issue I am having is that i can't get 1080p resolution. I have the PS4 connected to my Marantz along with my xbox one s, apple tv and directv receiver. All other devices display in all resolutions including 4K with the xbox one s without issues. Prior to the update the PS4 displayed 1080p. I connected the PS4 directly to the TV using the same cable that connect the receiver to the TV and no problems. As soon as i hook it up to the receiver it won't display 1080p. I have it manually set to 1080i right now and it displays picture just fine. All the deep color/hdr setting on the PS4 are off. All the video conversion, i/p scalar options on the receiver all off. It should pass right through how all my other devices do but for some reason the update is not allowing a 1080p resolution to go through. I get sound just not video. Any thoughts?
Maybe try setting RGB Range to limited.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
post #21051 of 21051 Old Today, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Maybe try setting RGB Range to limited.
I will give that a shot later tonight. I'll report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Console , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 4 Games , Sony
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page