PlayStation 4 - Page 704 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1455Likes

post #21091 of 21095 Old 09-07-2017, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 131
To clarify, you can't just swap disks from PS4 to PS4 - each disk is mated to that particular PS4, and if you put it in another PS4 the only option you will be presented with is reformatting it.

In order to essentially transfer everything - saves, games, themes, apps, settings, etc. - from the old machine, you've essentially got two options:

1) Use the backup utility to back up the old PS4 to an external drive, then restore from that backup on to the new PS4.

2) Connect the two PS4s together with an ethernet cable, and use the built-in transferring utility.

My memory, from doing both, was that option 2) - which I did when I replaced my base PS4 with a Pro - was quicker, but that may have been because when I did the backup-and-restore thing I only had a USB2 drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21092 of 21095 Old 09-07-2017, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E View Post
To clarify, you can't just swap disks from PS4 to PS4 - each disk is mated to that particular PS4, and if you put it in another PS4 the only option you will be presented with is reformatting it.

In order to essentially transfer everything - saves, games, themes, apps, settings, etc. - from the old machine, you've essentially got two options:

1) Use the backup utility to back up the old PS4 to an external drive, then restore from that backup on to the new PS4.

2) Connect the two PS4s together with an ethernet cable, and use the built-in transferring utility.

My memory, from doing both, was that option 2) - which I did when I replaced my base PS4 with a Pro - was quicker, but that may have been because when I did the backup-and-restore thing I only had a USB2 drive.
I did option 1, mostly because I traded in an old PS4 for a new one so didn't have both at the same time. It really depends what you want to backup in terms of how long it will take. If you are just backing up the save files then it wont take long but you will have to reinstall the games from scratch again. If you want a full backup expect a long wait.
post #21093 of 21095 Old 09-14-2017, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey,

I have a very extensive question about the Deep Color setting of the PS4. Is anybody around who knows a little bit about deep color and color depth? I'd like to open a new topic for this, but I'm a new member

Thanks

post #21094 of 21095 Old 09-15-2017, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps4datis View Post
Hey,

I have a very extensive question about the Deep Color setting of the PS4. Is anybody around who knows a little bit about deep color and color depth? I'd like to open a new topic for this, but I'm a new member

Thanks

"deep color" or "xv color" is a hold over from the transition to Blu Ray when they realized these HD displays could show a lot more colors than the previous standard Rec 709. It was intended that studios and content creators would make content that could take advantage of the expanded color spaces of these displays and thus deep color was born. But no one ever made use of it.

It wasn't until the creation of UHD Blu Ray and the standardization of the 4k UHDTV format that deep color was considered into the equation. The expanded color pallet of these displays is now being used but it is folded into the HDR designation. "HDR" includes both the increased contrast capability of these ultra bright displays (or those displays that can achieve true black like an OLED) AND expanded color space of the new formats such as P3 or Rec 2020. Making "deep color" basically obsolete.

so basically after all that mansplaining, it just means ignore the deep color option. It wont serve to do much but warp your color in a bad way. For true expanded color that is to the UHD "spec", use HDR.
DaverJ and ps4datis like this.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...

Last edited by NuSoardGraphite; 09-15-2017 at 08:36 AM.
post #21095 of 21095 Old 09-15-2017, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
"deep color" or "xv color" is a hold over from the transition to Blu Ray when they realized these HD displays could show a lot more colors than the previous standard Rec 709. It was intended that studios and content creators would make content that could take advantage of the expanded color spaces of these displays and thus deep color was born. But no one ever made use of it.

It wasn't until the creation of UHD Blu Ray and the standardization of the 4k UHDTV format that deep color was considered into the equation. The expanded color pallet of these displays is now being used but it is folded into the HDR designation. "HDR" includes both the increased contrast capability of these ultra bright displays (or those displays that can achieve true black like an OLED) AND expanded color space of the new formats such as P3 or Rec 2020. Making "deep color" basically obsolete.

so basically after all that mansplaining, it just means ignore the deep color option. It wont serve to do much but warp your color in a bad way. For true expanded color that is to the UHD "spec", use HDR.
Cool thank you very much for the good explanation. I have done a lot of research on the function and as you do, many suggest to disable deep color. What I don't understand is why Sony has set it so that you can only disable it or set it to automatic. Automatic implies that the PS4 automatically detects whether the TV supports deep color or not, and then turns it on or off, depending on the set. But as far as I know, and I'm not sure if this is correct, automatic just turns it on no matter if the TV supports it or not. So why not call it "on" instead of "automatic"? This is just irritating to me.

When I set it to automatic at my set, which is only full hd, the screen turns black for a second and then comes back and the colors look just a bit more saturated including black, which makes everything a little darker. But I don't know if that is because my tv supports it or because it doesn't support it. But like you said if it just warps the colors in a bad way, away from the intended original color, then off is better. So just stick to off and I'm good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Console , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 4 Games , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page