PlayStation 4 - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Aren't the inner components more similar to laptop components then desktop, which could explain the smaller size? Or am I mistaken in that line of thought. Sony, for the most part, builds pretty good hardware, from TVs, to BD/DVD players to game consoles so I think I can trust what they've done here. Although, I won't lie, I'm a bit nervous about heat but, that may just be because of the RROD experience on the 360 more than anything.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
The more I think about it, the more I think I will probably cancel both my preorders and just wait 6-8 months to see how everything works out. I want to make sure that I don't buy into a possible DOA console (XB1), and I really want to see if Sony makes good on their promises about their network. I am still pretty skeptical of anything that Sony promises, because we have been burnt by them before. For now, I will keep the preorders, just in case, but I think it would be wise of me to wait a bit to jump on one.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #2163 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

whats the difference in "launch edition" and the standard one?

i preordered mine the moment it went up the other night on amazon and im pretty sure i didnt have the option then

The option wasn't there to begin with. Launch = day one delivery. Standard = similar to GameStop's 2nd shipment list, meaning not guaranteed on launch day. There is no actual difference between the physical product.

post #2164 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

And rolltide, the one thing I find hilarious is the Xbox fans claiming that they've got all the games and Sony won't have any. Apparently they forgot how MS abandoned almost all their exclusives this generation while Sony continued to invest in their studios and now have easily one of if not the best studios out there in naughty dog that is dedicated to their system.

post #2165 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

The option wasn't there to begin with. Launch = day one delivery. Standard = similar to GameStop's 2nd shipment list, meaning not guaranteed on launch day. There is no actual difference between the physical product.

o ok thanks for the info. I would have been annoyed if i had missed out on something because i was too fast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2166 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
They're loosely based on laptop class architecture, just mashed into one giant chip....so sort of, but not really.

But they can save a lot of space by just having it all on one chip....and the coprocessors are all much smaller than the main APU. Slim BD drives are commodity, as are laptop HDDs. So much of the X1's internals looks like empty space.

I just hope their cooling is up to the task without being too loud, cause it doesn't look like there's much room for big, quiet fans. Thankfully it should only really kick in when you're gaming, when you probably can't hear it anyway. But if I had to guess....the x1 will definitely be quieter.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #2167 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I wonder if the PS4 does end up with heating issues, if they'll have to release a PS4 'Fat' version down the road. I don't see that happening, but it'd be funny none-the-less.

post #2168 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
The GPU is based on a laptop GPU, the CPU is based on a Tablet CPU, the added heat from the GPU is offset by the efficient CPU. AMD's APU line has proven to be very efficient and reliable for desktops and laptops, and this should be no exception.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #2169 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 08:58 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

And rolltide, the one thing I find hilarious is the Xbox fans claiming that they've got all the games and Sony won't have any. Apparently they forgot how MS abandoned almost all their exclusives this generation while Sony continued to invest in their studios and now have easily one of if not the best studios out there in naughty dog that is dedicated to their system.

To be fair MS has gone back on that, and now has 22 Dev studios. But, they showed a lot of what they were working on at E3, and IMO most of it was mediocre. VIA new reports Sony has 30 PS4 titles in the works, they’re claiming 10 first year alone, and yet they only showed 5 or so at E3. Only 1, 1886, was new.

Seems they’re saving their wad for Gamerscon, TGS, GDC, and even E3 next year. And why not, they’re being praised as having the best E3 of all time and only announced one new to the world exclusive, and completely brushed over the Vita and PS3.

Sonys gearing up for a slow leak of a packed first year of support to keep the hype train and good news going. Good for them.
post #2170 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Here's another size comparison:

Still blocks quite a bit of the vent....you'll def want to raise the PS4 up a bit, if you're going to stack them.

Wouldn't that also work to add heat to the PS4? I am not sure I would want to stack these consoles.
post #2171 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 09:08 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:

I have no doubt that the PS4 will require you to have the disc in the system for verification, just like the 360 and PS3. It's the only way unless every game includes online pass codes but then that would go against Sony's "no internet required" stance. XB1 fan-boys think this is a negative but IMO, its a positive. Since, just like the XB1, every game will be available day one on PSN as a digital download, we get a choice that XB1 users will not. If you want the convenience of not needing a disc and faster switching between games, buy the digital version. If you want the freedom of unrestricted trade-ins, selling, lending, gifting and renting you buy the retail disc but, you'll have to stand up and walk a few feet to switch games. I think that is a very reasonable trade off and I'd much rather have this choice then forced into the closed garden of restrictions that the XB1 brings.

Somone gets it!

Choice is good, especially since it help refine the marketplace. Forcing people to adopt and adapt is bad business. Especially when you’re asking them to assume all negatives for a few positives. Options and incentives work better, which seems to be Sonys approach.

There’s literally no reason to buy physical with the XBone anymore, but that’s pretty much the position they started with and designed their console backwards from. It’ll be interesting to see how retailers treat it, as they’re not dumb and MS didn’t really give them any stake in the plan they’re building. There’s a massive shift to MS and publishers, and retailers and customers got the shaft.
J_P_A and TeflonSoul like this.
post #2172 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

whats the difference in "launch edition" and the standard one?

i preordered mine the moment it went up the other night on amazon and im pretty sure i didnt have the option then

Was wondering the same thing
post #2173 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:

The more I think about it, the more I think I will probably cancel both my preorders and just wait 6-8 months to see how everything works out. I want to make sure that I don't buy into a possible DOA console (XB1), and I really want to see if Sony makes good on their promises about their network. I am still pretty skeptical of anything that Sony promises, because we have been burnt by them before. For now, I will keep the preorders, just in case, but I think it would be wise of me to wait a bit to jump on one.

Right now I am hyped, I have a PS4 on preorder and I will keep it there until a week before launch when I finally make the call on whether I actually buy it or not. I did the same with the Wii U and ended up buying it at release, still don't regret it but Nintendo has let me down on the first party front, which pushes me even closer to the PS4, because the Wii U is now a companion console at best.

The release dates for Infamous Second Son and Final Fantasy XV will play a huge role in if I actually get one at release.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #2174 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 199
FFXV is listed on Square-Enix financial sheets for revenue coming in by the end of the fiscal year (March 2014). Expect the game after that. inFamous: SS is slated for Q1 2014, which is likely 2-4 months after the PS4 launches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclayton View Post

Was wondering the same thing

For info on Amazon's Standard and Launch PS4 preorders, check out my post here.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #2175 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

Wouldn't that also work to add heat to the PS4? I am not sure I would want to stack these consoles.

The PS4 doesn't have any vents on the bottom, I doubt it.

post #2176 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 713
couple of questions (don't know if sony has answered this)
1. will my current Move and PS eye camera work on PS4?
2. i got the bluetooth headset that came with Socom, will that work on PS4 in place of their mic??
post #2177 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

1. Move has been confirmed to work on the PS4.

2. The PS4 has a dedicated, proprietary AUX port for the new PS Eye. The old one (USB) won't work.

3. We don't know for sure about old BT mic on the PS4, but I am guessing that it should work.

Over the years, old gadgets have usually worked on new Sony consoles unless something was changed for a particular reason.

post #2178 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Well doesn't this just suck:

500 gigs FTW.
post #2179 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

2. i got the bluetooth headset that came with Socom, will that work on PS4 in place of their mic??

The new Eye has stereo cameras
post #2180 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

Yeah, BT headsets are completely non-proprietary, they should work. My best BT headset is the latest wireless Xbox 360 mode, which has a switch you can flip to go between 360 and standard BT.

So how's that for irony....the official 360 headset will work on the PS4, but not the X1.

I'm still awaiting confirmation that my skullcandy PLYR 2s will work for wireless chat over USB though.
J_P_A likes this.

post #2181 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Launch unit confirmed. Glad I didn't procrastinate on that one.

Also preordered AC4, Watch Dogs, and BF4. Glad Infamous isn't a launch title because I feel that's enough for now. Didn't expect to be interested in maybe one or two games, so this launch lineup is really impressive.

500 gigs FTW.
post #2182 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They're loosely based on laptop class architecture, just mashed into one giant chip....so sort of, but not really.

But they can save a lot of space by just having it all on one chip....and the coprocessors are all much smaller than the main APU. Slim BD drives are commodity, as are laptop HDDs. So much of the X1's internals looks like empty space.

I just hope their cooling is up to the task without being too loud, cause it doesn't look like there's much room for big, quiet fans. Thankfully it should only really kick in when you're gaming, when you probably can't hear it anyway. But if I had to guess....the x1 will definitely be quieter.

You know, the loud fan noise has never bothered me while playing games, in fact I rarely notice it but, I when watching movies it drove me crazy. I figure it was because games were more involved so I had less time to concentrate on the fan noise.

Quote:

I'm an oddball 360 gamer because I have just never been able to get into Halo. I've attempted to play each one but usually lost interest in a few days. Gears of War was a little better because I prefer 3rd person over fps but still, I'd lose interest pretty quick. Every E3 seems to have new Halo stuff that just never gets me excited. I'm definitely more of a military shooter fan then the sci-fi shooter stuff. That's odd because my favorite genre of movies and TV is sci-fi. Destiny looks great though and I'll definitely have to give it a shot and of course SW Battlefronts will be a day one purchase (hope we don't have to wait to long for it).

Trade-in value for my 360 is only around 40 or 50 so I'll just hold on to it, I can steal that from my wife.

post #2183 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:

So how's that for irony....the official 360 headset will work on the PS4, but not the X1.
I didn't realize the official 360 headset used BT. You sure about that?

post #2184 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You know, the loud fan noise has never bothered me while playing games, in fact I rarely notice it but, I when watching movies it drove me crazy. I figure it was because games were more involved so I had less time to concentrate on the fan noise.

Fan noise shouldn't be a problem for the PS4 with a movie playing since it will be able to enter into different power states depending on what the user is doing. In that situation it won't need the GPU and main processor, so the console won't need to fire up the coolers if you are merely watching a film.

post #2185 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

I didn't realize the official 360 headset used BT. You sure about that?

Yup, check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005FMLXW2/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

I actually have the MW3 version, that came with a little charging dock. I love it, I use it on my PS3 all the time.

post #2186 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Right now I am hyped, I have a PS4 on preorder and I will keep it there until a week before launch when I finally make the call on whether I actually buy it or not. I did the same with the Wii U and ended up buying it at release, still don't regret it but Nintendo has let me down on the first party front, which pushes me even closer to the PS4, because the Wii U is now a companion console at best.

The release dates for Infamous Second Son and Final Fantasy XV will play a huge role in if I actually get one at release.
I am pretty hyped too, but I still have my concerns, and I think I have a right to be concerned about their online infrastructure. I am sure that in the end, I will probably end up with both consoles unless MS just gets destroyed in sales and it looks like they could possibly lose support, and I am guessing I won't know that until at least 1-2 years down the road. But, my opinion can change on it at any time. I know that this was just the opening salvo, and that both companies can say or do things to help or hurt where they stand with me over the next 5 months.

post #2187 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup, check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005FMLXW2/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

I actually have the MW3 version, that came with a little charging dock. I love it, I use it on my PS3 all the time.

Huh, maybe I was thinking of the first gen wireless earpiece. I don't think that one was BT capable. I'm sure it's a dual radio since the 360 doesn't have BT. It even says there's a switch from Xbox to BT mode. That's cool though and yeah pretty funny if you can't use their official piece with the One yet you can with a PS4. That's the downside to proprietary tech.

post #2188 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Post #2140 beat you to it. smile.gif

post #2189 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41

OK, here's one with a Wii U too.
post #2190 of 18100 Old 06-12-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

I have both pre-ordered through Amazon (XBOX guy historically). Will likely cancel one in the next few months as we get closer to launch. The used game stuff doesn't impact me personally but the Kinect always on doesn't appeal to me. I have an HT room and don't want the kinect on...with a projector set-up it just doesn't work for me unless I drill new holes and run wires that currently aren't there. I am also waiting to hear on PS4 and 4k support...that might impact me as a consumer as these devices will be in market 5+ years and by then 4K should be pretty common. I doubt either will have HDMI 2.0 so it might be a case were neither is really fully 4K operational.
All of my A/V stuff is on the other side of the wall, but luckily I can fit a 10ft hdmi for the PS4, if I want easier access to it or I want to play with the camera (eye toy). I will probably keep it where all the other stuff is. I am long ways from upgrading to 4K and it will be out of my budget for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ3118 View Post

NICE! I wonder when Amazon will stop pre-orders with guaranteed launch day delivery?

You probably saw on Amazon that the next release is Dec 31. I also wonder if the PS4 serial numbers are assigned to each launch pre-order?

October HorrorFest Participant
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page