PlayStation 4 - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2431 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
don't bother with the troll guys, it'll just get cleaned up by the mods and makes their job harder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC19 View Post

I would think any dev/publisher would LOVE DRM. With DRM you get a cut from used game sales and you have total control of the game. You keep usd games from flooding the market and get more new sales since used games are more restricted. You also get more money because it isn't as easy to lend games etc.
It's not that simple. "Used games" and "piracy" are mostly just boogeymen that publishers use to blame for decreased profit margins in an increasingly tight, expensive, and risky industry. Research is divided on the actual impact on overall sales. Some studies actually show that used games (and, yes, even piracy) might be good for the industry. Most likely, is that piracy has a small negative impact (most pirates are not potential purchasers). And that used games have a small positive impact (increase in overall gaming purchases, digital purchases, continued circulation of popular games, and a continued large online gaming population). At worst, the two effectively cancel each other out.

Not just that, but there's absolutely 100% no way that any of those "recouped" sales would have gone into developers' pockets. Publishers would have pocketed the difference and still blamed "used games" and "piracy" for the continued stagnation in developer salaries (not to mention job/studio cuts). It's a bunch of executive hogwash perpetuated by short-sighted executives who continue to do harm to the industry. There's a reason AAA gaming is in such trouble. And it's not the fault of used games or pirates. It's the idiots running the show.

Moreover, if E3 taught publishers nothing else, it was the tremendous PR power behind sounding like the "good guy" when it comes to used games and DRM.

I could go on.
Quote:
But I think it was the publishers that were pushing for it wasn't it?
Maybe, but they were smart enough to kept it to themselves. Publishers weren't as ballsy as MS was. MS opted for the nuclear option. Publishers, on the other hand, had been experimenting with much "softer" variants of DRM (online passes, etc). But the PR blowback from things like SimCity and now the huge blowback from MS's fumbled announcement have made saying that a game has "DRM" the equivalent of saying that food has "MSG."

DRM isn't going away, but thanks to MS's overly aggressive announcement, publishers are going to have to switch strategies. EA has already announced that it's scrapping its Online Pass initiative. But I expect we'll see other strategies emerge alongside the next gen.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #2433 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 691
so was it weird to see MGS during MS side and Bungie during the Sony side... would have never guessed that 5 years ago!
post #2434 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I wonder if the DRM situation has anything to do with EA and how their handling BF4. DLC for BF4 is coming first to Xbone first unlike BF3 which had PS3 first. Could be a slap on the wrist for Sony not following along?

The controller looks way more comfortable, with the longer grips and the sticks being farther apart. It's smaller than I imagined after seeing it up close in hand.

Also glad the HDD is replaceable. I will wait and see if an SSD will be worth the upgrade, hopefully Wired or a site like it gets on that comparison ASAP.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #2435 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Maybe, but they were smart enough to kept it to themselves. Publishers weren't as ballsy as MS was. MS opted for the nuclear option. Publishers, on the other hand, had been experimenting with much "softer" variants of DRM (online passes, etc). But the PR blowback from things like SimCity and now the huge blowback from MS's fumbled announcement have made saying that a game has "DRM" the equivalent of saying that food has "MSG."

DRM isn't going away, but thanks to MS's overly aggressive announcement, publishers are going to have to switch strategies. EA has already announced that it's scrapping its Online Pass initiative. But I expect we'll see other strategies emerge alongside the next gen.

Leave my Panda Dragon out of this!
post #2436 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

I wonder if the DRM situation has anything to do with EA and how their handling BF4. DLC for BF4 is coming first to Xbone first unlike BF3 which had PS3 first. Could be a slap on the wrist for Sony not following along?

No way. They got paid millions for a timed release. It's no different than Activision and COD was.

They come up with a number greatly higher than projected sales of DLC, they get paid, then they release down the line for gravy. It's a great business model for a publisher, if the buyer can afford it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

so was it weird to see MGS during MS side and Bungie during the Sony side... would have never guessed that 5 years ago!

Rumor is MGS is also going to PC for the first time. THATS crazy (and it has my brother pretty excited after seeing the screens). But I wonder what he'll think of Kojima's sense of humor thats been cooking for several decades and out of reach of the PC market.
post #2437 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 254
This is a pretty funny read.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-every-game-company-gets-wrong-about-gamers/

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #2438 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/13/square-enix-considered-rebranding-versus-xiii-to-final-fantasy-xv-early-on/

Not much of a shock there.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #2439 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Good news, we may get an early preview of PlayStation games from Japan this year. We usually have to wait until early September for the Tokyo Game Show. This year, Sony's Japanese division may host a special event early according to Famitsu magazine.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #2440 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
Apparently Madcatz TE Fight sticks won't work on PS4

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/playstation-4-incompatible-with-ps3-mad-catz-tournament-edition

This is such a load of crap, it feels more like Madcatz wants us to buy Another fight stick instead of using our own, hell I don't even like the idea of wasting space with more than 1 fight stick at my place. I can't see how a firmware won't be able to support it considering it's connected via USB, this is horrible news and I hope it'll be fixed, how can they expect so many people to pay for the same thing twice, so stupid.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #2441 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

This was a win-win for both KojiPro and Bungie since by announcing releases for the "other" console they got a much bigger share of the spotlight and they got to show the world that they were going multiplatform. Smart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

Nah. EA has had PR issues of its own with DRM (SimCity), and they recently announced that they're pulling back from their Online Passes. So that wouldn't make sense. This was done purely because MS paid them for the exclusive. Simple.

post #2442 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/playstation-4-incompatible-with-ps3-mad-catz-tournament-edition

This is such a load of crap, it feels more like Madcatz wants us to buy Another fight stick instead of using our own, hell I don't even like the idea of wasting space with more than 1 fight stick at my place. I can't see how a firmware won't be able to support it considering it's connected via USB, this is horrible news and I hope it'll be fixed, how can they expect so many people to pay for the same thing twice, so stupid.

Fightsticks have their won firmware updates? Yeah, maybe that's the issue then. Engineered obsolescence?
post #2443 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Fightsticks have their won firmware updates? Yeah, maybe that's the issue then. Engineered obsolescence?

I meant a firmware from Sony's PS4 side to support it. Sony is a major sponsor for fighting game tournaments such as EVO so that might not be out of the question, Madcatz TE is the most used fight stick these days.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #2444 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Leave my Panda Dragon out of this!
Unlike DRM, MSG has gotten an undeserved bad rap. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

As much as it sucks, this is nothing new. I'm much more peeved about the lack of BC games than BC peripherals. Besides, arcade sticks are perfectly legal (and relatively easy) to modify for use with other consoles. And the Madcatz sticks are far and away the most commonly modified and community supported sticks out there. I wouldn't worry.
TeflonSoul likes this.

post #2445 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

A very good point is made in this video, and it needs to be watched by both sides of the fence.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #2446 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

A very good point is made in this video, and it needs to be watched by both sides of the fence.

listening to it now and you beat me to posting it! Def agree.
post #2447 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I can understand the lack of BC, but I do not like it, I have over 100 retail PS3 games.

Pay to play online I can't understand, why not just lock all the social and chat features behind plus and continue to allow all games tobe free for online play? Plus has been worth the money because it was a good value, forcing people to buy it goes against the original purpose and message of plus. Offer a good enough value and people will want to pay for it.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #2448 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Joe, you'd probably know. Hows this stack up to the other Playstation and other system launches in history past?
Keep in mind we don't yet know all of the launch PS4 releases yet (i.e., PSN titles like the rumored Pinball Arcade, PlanetSide 2, etc.)

PSOne launch titles
  • Air Combat
  • Battle Arena Toshinden
  • ESPN Extreme Games
  • Kileak - The DNA Imperative
  • NBA Jam Tournament Edition
  • Power Serve 3D Tennis
  • Rayman
  • Ridge Racer
  • Street Fighter: The Movie
  • The Raiden Project
  • Total Eclipse Turbo
  • Zero Divide

PS2 launch titles
  • Armored Core 2
  • DOA2: Hardcore
  • Dynasty Warriors 2
  • ESPN International Track & Field
  • ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding
  • Eternal Ring
  • Evergrace
  • FantaVision
  • Gungriffon Blaze
  • Kessen
  • Madden NFL 2001
  • Midnight Club: Street Racing
  • NHL 2001
  • Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
  • Q-Ball: Billiards Master
  • Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
  • Ridge Racer V
  • Silent Scope
  • Smuggler's Run
  • SSX
  • Street Fighter EX3
  • Summoner
  • Surfing H3O
  • Tekken Tag Tournament
  • TimeSplitters
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Wild Wild Racing
  • X-Squad

PS3 launch titles
  • Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
  • Call of Duty 3
  • Genji: Days of the Blade
  • Madden NFL 07
  • Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
  • NBA 2K7
  • NHL 2K7
  • Resistance: Fall of Man
  • Ridge Racer 7
  • Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
  • Tony Hawk's Project 8
  • Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom

The PSOne's release was the best when it came to fun variety IMHO. I had a blast with Toshinden, ESPN Extreme Games (my sister would dominate me in that one), NBA Jam, Ridge Racer and Raiden.

- From the PS2's opening day, I only played Tekken Tag Tournament non-stop. I didn't own anything else on that list, but that was OK because TTT is still my favorite all-time PS2 game.

- For the PS3's launch I got Resistance pretty late (and really enjoyed it). So initially I thought Ridge Racer 7 was cool, and NBA 2K7 was sluggish.

post #2449 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Assassins Creed 4
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghost
DriveClub
FIFA 14
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Knack
Madden 25
NBA 2K14
NBA Live
Need for Speed: Rivals
Warframe
Watch Dogs
The Witness

I feel so bad for NBA Live.... smile.gif
post #2450 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:

listening to it now and you beat me to posting it! Def agree.

The point is that we should not become the fanboys that suddenly start supporting a corporation no matter what they do. I agree.

I agree that online fees are a money grab and Sony should take the hit. But they should be supported for not going down the MS road. Nintendo should also be supported for doing the same.
post #2451 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I feel so bad for NBA Live.... smile.gif

Honestly, I keep an open mind every year when it comes to basketball. EA has had enough humiliation to force them to put out a quality product, and now they have more system power to work with.

I give them credit in that EA eventually took away the soccer crown from Konami's PES last gen with FIFA when few thought that would be possible. So after no basket ball game on the market since 2010, we'll see if they can step up and seriously challenge the 2K series this time around.

post #2452 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Honestly, I keep an open mind every year when it comes to basketball. EA has had enough humiliation to force them to put out a quality product, and now they have more system power to work with.

I give them credit in that EA eventually took away the soccer crown from Konami's PES last gen with FIFA when few thought that would be possible. So after no basket ball game on the market since 2010, we'll see if they can step up and seriously challenge the 2K series this time around.

It all comes down to their game engine. I just can't imagine their first attempt is going to be any good. Why are all their player models super skinny and lanky ? I know it's a basketball stereotype, but not everybody is all skinny and lanky. Something about their player models just ain't right. Although I'll admit I haven't seen actual gameplay footage.
post #2453 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I remember that PS3 lineup, horrible. One of the biggest reasons, besides the price that I didn't buy one for a long time.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #2454 of 17871 Old 06-13-2013, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PSOne launch titles
  • Air Combat
  • Battle Arena Toshinden
  • ESPN Extreme Games
  • Kileak - The DNA Imperative
  • NBA Jam Tournament Edition
  • Power Serve 3D Tennis
  • Rayman
  • Ridge Racer
  • Street Fighter: The Movie
  • The Raiden Project
  • Total Eclipse Turbo
  • Zero Divide

PS1's launch day lineup wasn't very good, but if you consider it's "launch window" games, it has one of the best lineups in gaming history.

Destruction Derby (new IP)
Wipeout (new IP)
Doom (considered the best port of Doom till Xbox 360)
Loaded (new IP)
Jumping Flash (new IP)
Twisted Metal (new IP)
Warhawk (new IP)
NFL GameDay

All those games were available BEFORE Xmas in 1995
pcweber111 likes this.
post #2455 of 17871 Old 06-14-2013, 02:59 AM

Quote:

Exclusive NBA licensing agreement in 3... 2... 1...
post #2456 of 17871 Old 06-14-2013, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

As much as it sucks, this is nothing new. I'm much more peeved about the lack of BC games than BC peripherals. Besides, arcade sticks are perfectly legal (and relatively easy) to modify for use with other consoles. And the Madcatz sticks are far and away the most commonly modified and community supported sticks out there. I wouldn't worry.
Yeah I know about the modding scene and there will probably be a mod for the TE if PS4 doesn't support it directly, it's just a hassle though specially if the mod requires much soldering which I suck at lol. Also IMO such peripherals BC is a LOT less complicated than game BC which is way too much work considering how different the architecture is with every new console.

As for the PS4 MP paywall, I do agree that it sucks and I won't magically accept whatever Sony does like sheep would, not matter how much value PSN Plus has, FORCING something upon Everyone will always be BAD, because believe it or not some people actually couldn't care less about what PSN Plus has to offer.

With that said, I do understand why Sony did such thing, I feel these were some of the reasons:

1- They'd like A LOT more people to experience PSN Plus and benefit from the immense value it offers, I'm sure PSN Plus subscribers are nowhere near the number of XBL Gold members, so Sony thought going this route will give their service the best exposure.
2- We all know Sony lost A LOT of money during PS3's cycle, it's an Excellent console for us gamers but Sony is a business after all so making money is definitely their primary goal, so it seems like this PSN Plus paywall is another thing to make sure PS4 will be a financial success that the PS3 wasn't.

I personally have no problem with PSN Plus and I understand the value it will offer Me, I think the service gives so much value I am actually considering subscribing for Both PSN USA AND Euro, I might split the cost of the Euro PSN with a friend of mine since the USA is already available for MP access as my main account and AFAIK the account should be allowed to be installed on 2 consoles (probably 2 PS3s and 2 PS4s).

I just hope Sony keeps up how great PSN Plus is with the PS4 and won't screw us over, I have a feeling some stupid new policies will be introduced, such as only being able to select a few games every month instead of adding everything in the queue and download anytime you want later, or games being removed from your library if they're inactive for a certain amount of time..etc

If anything Sony should improve the service more considering the number of subscribers will be A LOT more.

post #2457 of 17871 Old 06-14-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
I think they could have done better with their price point though to ease people into it. A two tier approach where simple MP was like $2 month and the full blown Plus was$4-$5 would have been received better .

Since they are keeping PS3 free and clear I may pick up a PS3 and end up running PS3 for MP and PS4 for SP. I do hate the idea of paying for MP after purchasing a game
post #2458 of 17871 Old 06-14-2013, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
How are you guys saying they are FORCING you to use PSN Plus? You don't have to get it. If you want to play multiplayer then yeah you need to chip in some money. I honestly can't believe how long they kept online multiplayer free on the PS3. Especially how much money they were losing with each PS3. Now fast forward to 2013 with the launch of the PS4, look how big the PSN infrastructure is and will be. There is no way they could keep it free forever. I knew it was coming sooner or later, I'm just surprised it wasn't until this long. But once again they are not forcing you to pay, you can be play the PS4 completely off the grid if you choose to.
post #2459 of 17871 Old 06-14-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:

[*] Street Fighter: The Movie

*shudders*
post #2460 of 17871 Old 06-14-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I got into the Final Fantasy XIV Beta on PS3! Gotta follow the instructions in the email before I can do anything else, expect impressions later today!

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page