Forum Jump: 

post #2701 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Reading up on the Dark Sorcerer tech demo and Infamous Second Son, it seems PS3 engines are easy to port to the PS4. Hopefully this means that most of the good PS3 games make the jump to the PSN as a cheap download or in 1080p collections at retail.

They’re using PSGL (Sonys extension of OpenGL) and LibGCM again (Nope NOT DX11.1!). I’m sure there some major optimization differences going to X86 and funneling the code through the 8 core processor and a standard video card; but the API should be pretty much the same as last Gen (next gen shaders non-withstanding of cource).

I was really amazed that QD apparently not only made the Sorcerer demo with PS3 dev tools, but that they apparently hadn’t really optimized it at all either. Granted, it was small with not nearly the same number of systems a game would be running, but it was still very impressive.

QD also has a history of putting out tech Demo’s and then one upping it with their game releases (The Casting / Kara). It’s becoming pretty clear that the PS4’s will show us some serious sh*t as Dev’s get down to the metal and get better Dev tools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 186

Interesting PS+ info in that article. Here's a reprint for those with no access:
Quote:
Sony has detailed some of the changes due to be implemented to PlayStation Plus with the arrival of PlayStation 4, telling VideoGamer.com that both auto-updates and the "social features of PS4" will not require a PlayStation Plus subscription to access.

Catch-up TV and online movie services will continue to be free to all PS4 users, although an additional fee may be required to access back-catalogue PS3 titles once the Gaikai streaming service is introduced next year.

A PlayStation Plus account will also be required to access PS4's online multiplayer functionality – something Sony says will allow it to "invest significantly" in PlayStation Network to help lower downtimes and improve its performance.

"It is time to charge, but it is time to charge and still continue to deliver phenomenal value," SCEE UK & Ireland MD Fergal Gara told VideoGamer.com during E3.

"A PlayStation Plus subscriber for PlayStation 4 comes away with a hell of a lot. First of all, the subscription applies across all three platforms [PS4, PS3 & PS Vita], so if you have the three platforms then you have an instant game collection on all three. So that's hugely powerful in its own right. But it is true to say that the online multiplayer element for PS4, you do require the subscription in order to [make use] of that.

"If you choose not to subscribe we are still gating relatively little in many senses, so access to online catch-up TV and online movie services sit outside of the gate, for example. The social features of PS4 and PS4 games sit out of the subscription service... things like auto-updates on PS4 sit outside of PlayStation Plus, so we're trying to be as balanced and as fair as we possibly can. If you choose to pay the subscription, yes, you get one important element of modern-day gameplay, but you also get fantastic value in games, including the PlayStation Plus Edition of DriveClub."

Auto-update functionality had previously only been available to PS Plus subscribers on PS3, and though it isn't yet clear what Gara means by PS4's "social features", it's possible he could be referring to the console's broadcasting and video upload features.

The service seems relatively more open than Microsoft's Xbox LIVE service, too, which blocks users from accessing services like Netflix and 4OD unless they're an Xbox LIVE Gold subscriber.

Whether PlayStation Plus users will be required to pay an additional fee for access to PS3 title streaming through Gaikai, however, is still undecided.

"In short, we haven't decided," said Gara when asked whether the firm plans to introduce additional PlayStation Plus tiers to accommodate backwards-compatibility streaming. "The Gaikai developments are exciting. The Remote Play feature which we're particularly excited about not just benefits PS4 but PS Vita - that uses some Gaikai technology.

"But secondly, the full cloud gaming service comes a bit later – we announced that 2014 will start to see that introduced for PS3 titles in the US, and we'll start to see a gradual increase in consoles, titles, devices and countries involved as we go forward, so there is a plan there to bring the PlayStation experience to more devices out of the cloud using the Gaikai that will broaden over time.

"Will that be part of PlayStation Plus? I genuinely don't know. Will that require some other, different charging mechanism? Perhaps. We just haven't sat down to answer that question yet."

PlayStation 4 launches worldwide this Christmas.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #2703 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

I had the BF4 bundle ordered, but I didn't cancel my previous Launch pre-order. I decided to cancel the bundle as I didn't want to chance any snafu cropping up. As it stands now I'm earlier in line w/ everybody that changed their orders to the bundle; to me it wasn't worth 10 bucks to take the chance. If the bundle was priced more attractively I would have switched no questions asked - but for 10 bucks I didn't want to risk Amazon over-estimating its stock.

I pre-ordered as soon as it went on sale and then placed a 2nd order for the BF4 bundle over the weekend. I haven't canceled either of them yet. So, assuming I'm guaranteed to get both on launch day, I may end up being one of those douches that tries to sell one and make some $$.

XBL = jackalopes

PSN = ChitownJackalope

post #2704 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Don't know if this has been asked before but I wonder if PS4 games will suport Dolby True-HD or DTS-HD MA audio.

"My English is not very good looking" - Celia Cruz

post #2705 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

PS3 was 200k for Japan and 400k for the US at launch, and they couldn't even hit that goal.

Sony really seems to have learned from that disaster, having 2-3 million at launch would be fantastic for them, especially if they can sell each unit for a net profit.
If that's true then I'm glad I didn't keep my BB pre-order and try to flip it. I'm sure it will still sell out even with 2-3 million at launch but, it probably want be as hard to find one as the PS3 was. It will be like iPhone launches, stores sell out but usually have more stock the next day. I've never had a problem getting a new iPhone at launch, even without a pre-order.
J_P_A likes this.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #2706 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

If that's true then I'm glad I didn't keep my BB pre-order and try to flip it. I'm sure it will still sell out even with 2-3 million at launch, it probably want be as hard to find one as the PS3 was. It will be like iPhone launches, stores sell out but usually have more stock the next day. I've never had a problem getting a new iPhone at launch, even without a pre-order.

I was thinking the same thing. It sounds like Sony finally got the memo and is trying to cash in on the money that the scalpers were making in years past.

I'm really not surprised at these numbers, though. This gen has lasted a long time, so there's a lot of pent up demand for a next gen console.
freemeat likes this.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #2707 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVholic View Post

Don't know if this has been asked before but I wonder if PS4 games will suport Dolby True-HD or DTS-HD MA audio.

Games output in pure uncompressed PCM, no need for any codecs. Support will be there for movies though.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #2708 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Interesting trend
Wish they had shown it since feb

http://www.shacknews.com/article/79783/ps4-momentum-grows-after-e3-survey-shows
post #2709 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
This really spells it all out... done and done

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1506092-at-this-point-ps4-is-looking-the-winner-over-xbox-one?source=google_news

Quote:

This is not entirely a surprise. Both gaming consoles share a very similar architecture built around an Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) APU consisting of a rather weak 8-core CPU and a rather powerful GPU. However, it's also this similitude that makes it easy to understand that the Sony is a significantly more powerful machine than the Xbox One. This is so because:

The PS4 GPU has 18 execution units versus Xbox One's 12. This makes it around 50% more powerful;
The PS4 carries 8Gb of GDD5 memory while the Xbox One uses 8Gb of slower DDR3 RAM. This is very fast memory of the kind used in top-end GPUs, but here accessible both to the GPU and CPU. Memory bandwidth on the PS4 will thus be around 3 times higher in the PS4 than in the Xbox One. The Xbox tries to somehow compensate for this with 32Mb of eSRAM, but this will both make the system harder to explore and optimize and not nearly match the PS4;
Due to the Xbox One's compromises in OS architecture, with the system running 3 different OSs, the PS4 will be able to allocate significantly more RAM memory towards games, up to 40% more than the Xbox;
While depending on game publishers, it's likely that the DRM efforts on the PS4 will be less severe than in the Xbox. This is more gamer-friendly.

All in all, the PlayStation 4 simply seems better for gamers.

post #2710 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 11:50 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

Interesting trend
Wish they had shown it since feb

http://www.shacknews.com/article/79783/ps4-momentum-grows-after-e3-survey-shows

Will be interesting to see how sales figures compare given the recent pummeling of MS on the internet. Reminiscent of the recent "let them eat cake" strategy employed by the now disposed CEO of J.C. Penny's.
post #2711 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:

If that's true then I'm glad I didn't keep my BB pre-order and try to flip it. I'm sure it will still sell out even with 2-3 million at launch but, it probably want be as hard to find one as the PS3 was. It will be like iPhone launches, stores sell out but usually have more stock the next day. I've never had a problem getting a new iPhone at launch, even without a pre-order.

As far as I know they're using FoxConn too. Apple really has innovated how we assemble and get electronics to market it seems. Logistics is light years better than it was in 2005.

It's almost the same leap as it was getting game discs/carts between the late 90's vs the mid 2000's. There used to be a time when getting a game on release date was a PITA!
post #2712 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblee View Post

I pre-ordered as soon as it went on sale and then placed a 2nd order for the BF4 bundle over the weekend. I haven't canceled either of them yet. So, assuming I'm guaranteed to get both on launch day, I may end up being one of those douches that tries to sell one and make some $$.

I did the same thing. If I get both on launch day, I'll send one back...

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #2713 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

As far as I know they're using FoxConn too. Apple really has innovated how we assemble and get electronics to market it seems. Logistics is light years better than it was in 2005.

It's almost the same leap as it was getting game discs/carts between the late 90's vs the mid 2000's. There used to be a time when getting a game on release date was a PITA!

Do you even know what Foxconn is? That place blows. I'd rather pay a little more and wait than see that piece of **** company stay in business.

500 gigs FTW.
post #2714 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32

It seems clear that Amazon has received a lot more units for launch, since the PS4 launch bundles still haven't sold out. This is the first time I've preordered anything game related and I wish they were selling just the launch edition console.

post #2715 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

There used to be a time when getting a game on release date was a PITA!
I remember those days of calling all the GameStop (called Electronics Boutique back then) stores in town say "_____ game was suppose to come out today, do you have any". There reply was almost always, "not yet, maybe by the end of the week". Midnight launches were unheard of and only the biggest of biggest games would actually show up on release day. I remember store managers telling me that those release dates were not really release dates but dates that the products were shipped to retailers. Must have been just for games back then because I worked at a Suncoast Motion Picture store and we always had our movies by release date. In fact, most would arrive a month before the date. We always got to take them home early but, had to wait to pay until the release date. This was the VHS days.

post #2716 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
I had to wait a week to get Call of Duty 4, not one store in my area got them. Ended up ordering from Best Buy.com two days later and still got it before any local store. Oh how times have changed.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #2717 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 02:21 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

I remember those days of calling all the GameStop (called Electronics Boutique back then) stores in town say "_____ game was suppose to come out today, do you have any". There reply was almost always, "not yet, maybe by the end of the week". Midnight launches were unheard of and only the biggest of biggest games would actually show up on release day. I remember store managers telling me that those release dates were not really release dates but dates that the products were shipped to retailers. Must have been just for games back then because I worked at a Suncoast Motion Picture store and we always had our movies by release date. In fact, most would arrive a month before the date. We always got to take them home early but, had to wait to pay until the release date. This was the VHS days.

I was a store manager for Electronics Boutique right up until the PS2 launch while I was going through Med School. Your post brought back some funny memories with how games were released. I remember I had to check the "Now shipping" section on our website before I went to work in the morning to know what was coming out that day. Now it's pretty much standardized with Tuesdays being the day that all the new media is launched.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself... and spiders

My current gear : (Mancave) Vizio M701, Sony Str-DA5800 receiver,  Speakers : Front.. Klipsh RF-7 reference flagship, Center.. RC-64 reference, Surrounds.. 4x RC-62 reference, DirecTv Genie, PS3, Oppo BDP-105 Universal Audiophile blu-ray. 

post #2718 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I forget what game it was but once, my local EB Games manager actually drove out to the airport to pick a package up. I remember being very excited and thankful but I still can't remember which game it was. Those were fun days, working at Suncoast, 2 doors down from EB; we all new each other and gave each other discounts. Didn't have a care in the world back then and almost my whole paycheck would go towards games and junk food. Times have definitly change, a lot of my money does still go towards junk food but, for my 3 kids instead of me now.
darthrsg likes this.

post #2719 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 03:50 PM

Liked: 11
i just preordered the ps4 package bundle on amazon, apparently its supposed to guaranteed release date delivery
post #2720 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 04:08 PM

Liked: 13
Part of me misses the days when we could go to Electronics Boutique, Babbages, Software Etc, Egghead and many others. Of course, we also had to rely on 1" screenshots on the box to represent gameplay. 😜
darthrsg likes this.
post #2721 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerkit View Post

Part of me misses the days when we could go to Electronics Boutique, Babbages, Software Etc, Egghead and many others. Of course, we also had to rely on 1" screenshots on the box to represent gameplay. 😜

Heck, I remember the days of going to Montgomery Wards for TurboGrafx-16 games. I bought Gaiares on Genesis at a Wherehouse Records, lol.
post #2722 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Gaie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Heck, I remember the days of going to Montgomery Wards for TurboGrafx-16 games. I bought Gaiares on Genesis at a Wherehouse Records, lol.

Gaiares! I still have it smile.gif. That and Thunderdorce II are my two favorite shooters on the Genesis.
post #2723 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 05:30 PM

Liked: 13
I actually bought Parsec for my TI-99/4a using S&H Green Stamps that my parents got from the grocery store. Sigh.

Ah well, back to PS4. I'm praying that Grand Theft Auto V will be released for the PS4 within the launch window. It's killing me that they haven't said anything conclusive, unless I missed it.
post #2724 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm looking at all of the great games on my PS3 that I wish would be playable on my PS4 without the need for Gaikai... several HD collections like FFX/X-2, KH 1.5, ToS. Major games like The Last of Us, current addictions like Dragon's Dogma.

I can only imagine how high my hype level would be if PS3 games worked on the PS4...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #2725 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerkit View Post

I actually bought Parsec for my TI-99/4a using S&H Green Stamps that my parents got from the grocery store. Sigh.

Ah well, back to PS4. I'm praying that Grand Theft Auto V will be released for the PS4 within the launch window. It's killing me that they haven't said anything conclusive, unless I missed it.

If they want to release anything close to their bullshots they've put out there; there's an announced next gen version cooking.
post #2726 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 200
More good news on the oculus rift front. Looks like they've got funding! Not specifically related to the PS4, but it's a step in the right direction.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #2727 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 07:37 PM

Hopefully they line up some VC and do it right. From what I've heard the OUYA launch was... rough to say the least.
post #2728 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

The OUYA launched? When did this happen?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #2729 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Couple of cool little pieces here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7533-PS4-Doing-Nothing-Meaning-Everything

Angry Joe has an interview with Major Nelson on X-BONE. I'm still watching it but he does have a couple nice questions(at least as far as I've reached) and Larry can't exactly answer.

http://youtu.be/6RtSGFryKwo

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #2730 of 17208 Old 06-17-2013, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Couple of cool little pieces here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7533-PS4-Doing-Nothing-Meaning-Everything

Angry Joe has an interview with Major Nelson on X-BONE. I'm still watching it but he does have a couple nice questions(at least as far as I've reached) and Larry can't exactly answer.

http://youtu.be/6RtSGFryKwo

Thanks for the link to the YouTube video. I just got done watching it and it's funny how Angry Joe got a few of his questions cut off by someone offscreen (which could be due to limited time but also could be due to negative publicity for Microsoft). I did rather enjoy his bluntness when asking questions about DRM.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page