PlayStation 4 - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2881 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
metallicaband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I really liked the fact that Microsoft will be releasing Xbone games for Digital Download on day one, I'm assuming it's every game and not just first party titles.

I hope Sony would do that too, doing that + lower price on DD + ability to pre-load a game before it's released Steam style will make Digital games a Very attractive OPTION for gamers.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
metallicaband is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2882 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 06:36 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I thought sony did that now?

I don't buy console games digitally, I want my disc.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is online now  
post #2883 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ThumperII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I thought Sony had that for DD as well. I am another one that like my discs. I buy very little DD.
ThumperII is offline  
post #2884 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

I thought Sony had that for DD as well. I am another one that like my discs. I buy very little DD.

Yep, I picked up Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen at Midnight on release day as a DD. It runs better 100% off the HDD which is why I bought it on PSN. Most games are now Day One Digital.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #2885 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
metallicaband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I buy discs as well like 99% of the time for many reasons from collecting/art work..etc

But there are some games that I don't mind downloading, specially if the price is right and I can't get access to the physical media soon enough, so DD would work on those. Plus I can split the cost of the DD and share it with my friend which I'm planning to do with some games in PS4 (I'm looking at you CoD:Ghost).

AFAIK PS3 doesn't release every game on day one for DD, hell some games aren't even available for DD.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
metallicaband is offline  
post #2886 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,517
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

I buy discs as well like 99% of the time for many reasons from collecting/art work..etc

But there are some games that I don't mind downloading, specially if the price is right and I can't get access to the physical media soon enough, so DD would work on those. Plus I can split the cost of the DD and share it with my friend which I'm planning to do with some games in PS4 (I'm looking at you CoD:Ghost).

AFAIK PS3 doesn't release every game on day one for DD, hell some games aren't even available for DD.

They're at the point where the majority of PS3 games are day one, and they've already promised day one for all PS4 games.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #2887 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ThumperII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Yep, I picked up Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen at Midnight on release day as a DD. It runs better 100% off the HDD which is why I bought it on PSN. Most games are now Day One Digital.

Yes, I like the idea of full installs. I did load my Forza 4 on my Xbox but have not had a chance to see if it makes loading tracks any faster yet. I do not mind changing discs when playing new games, getting up is good for me.
ThumperII is offline  
post #2888 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

Yes, I like the idea of full installs. I did load my Forza 4 on my Xbox but have not had a chance to see if it makes loading tracks any faster yet. I do not mind changing discs when playing new games, getting up is good for me.

Full game installs was my favorite feature on the 360. I installed all my games because I saw an improvement in how every game ran.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #2889 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 179
That and there's no turbine sound. Any game I spent a good amount of time on, I installed.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is online now  
post #2890 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rolltide1017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 2,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Maybe I missed it but, has Sony said if the PS4 will support 3D Blu-rays? Surely it will but, I just don't remember seeing it confirmed anywhere.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
rolltide1017 is offline  
post #2891 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,429
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Maybe I missed it but, has Sony said if the PS4 will support 3D Blu-rays? Surely it will but, I just don't remember seeing it confirmed anywhere.

I've been trying to find out the 3D capabilities of both systems.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
post #2892 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Maybe I missed it but, has Sony said if the PS4 will support 3D Blu-rays? Surely it will but, I just don't remember seeing it confirmed anywhere.

It should. Even though the 3D trend never caught on, the PS4 is still a high end bluray player...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #2893 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ThumperII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Maybe I missed it but, has Sony said if the PS4 will support 3D Blu-rays? Surely it will but, I just don't remember seeing it confirmed anywhere.

PS3 does. I would be shocked if the PS4 did not.
ThumperII is offline  
post #2894 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ThumperII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

It should. Even though the 3D trend never caught on, the PS4 is still a high end bluray player...

3D is not huge but quite a few movies get a 3D release and it is a way to squeeze some extra $ out of consumers. Sony, being a studio, will want to support the technology.
ThumperII is offline  
post #2895 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Member
 
-Darkstar-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It's nice to see Microsoft make these changes but I'm still sticking with the PS4. I like the specs of the PS4 and I think there will be some truly amazing looking games on it.
Bikerduck and freemeat like this.
-Darkstar- is offline  
post #2896 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mboojigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
Posts: 7,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

But wait, according to Mboojigga, everyone in the services has access to the internet. He has said it many times so you must be wrong. Sorry. rolleyes.gif

Yet you are and from what I am reading from this conversation from earlier are confused.

They never had this certification for gaming on DOD networks. What TyrantII is confused about is the Air Force was building a supercomputer using PS3s.


http://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html

As far as Internet for military for some reason people are confused that somehow living on military bases means we are different than living off base. We have access to the same ISPs for personal use. No one has a PS3 or PC hooked up to a DOD netowork for games or streaming of any kind. As far as military deployments, the military has contracts with local ISPs for that host country that provide Internet service for everyone on base which is either free or a paid service. But you are limited to what you can do and pay for like MS points or streaming because your IP is not showing in the US. Which is why I mentioned VPN that some of us use while on deployment. I have always had access for the deployments I went on at the bases it was available.

The 5.0 is here
mboojigga is offline  
post #2897 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ThumperII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Yet you are and from what I am reading from this conversation from earlier are confused.

They never had this certification for gaming on DOD networks. What TyrantII is confused about is the Air Force was building a supercomputer using PS3s.


http://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html

As far as Internet for military for some reason people are confused that somehow living on military bases means we are different than living off base. We have access to the same ISPs for personal use. No one has a PS3 or PC hooked up to a DOD netowork for games or streaming of any kind. As far as military deployments, the military has contracts with local ISPs for that host country that provide Internet service for everyone on base which is either free or a paid service. But you are limited to what you can do and pay for like MS points or streaming because your IP is not showing in the US. Which is why I mentioned VPN that some of us use while on deployment. I have always had access for the deployments I went on at the bases it was available.

This is all moot, but there is a poster on this thread that is deployed on a boat and does not have access to the servers for internet for his game machine. He does mention occasional LAN use. I think it is probably a bandwidth issue and not a security issue.
freemeat likes this.
ThumperII is offline  
post #2898 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,429
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

PS3 does. I would be shocked if the PS4 did not.

But the PS3 doesn't fully support it. Like no Dolby True HD from a BD. And only 720P 3D from the streaming apps.

I would still like to see the 3D capabilities written down.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
post #2899 of 18080 Old 06-19-2013, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tfoltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 3,525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
No Dolby truehd in 3D, but it does work in 2D. I am hoping the PS4 does all HD audio in 2D and 3D.

PSN: PrankT


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tfoltz is offline  
post #2900 of 18080 Old 06-20-2013, 02:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
ElectronicTonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

No Dolby truehd in 3D, but it does work in 2D. I am hoping the PS4 does all HD audio in 2D and 3D.
I'm pretty sure it will, considering the PS3 can't because HDMI spec. Also if PS4 can do 4K, I wouldn't worry.....I could be completely wrong though.
ElectronicTonic is offline  
post #2901 of 18080 Old 06-20-2013, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
SmokenAshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
What he was saying about internet on military bases is what I was trying to say. Most permanent bases like say Atsugi Japan have the same access to the internet like the rest of you. But yet cannot access certain things because we weren't in the US. Hell I couldn't watch ABC shows online on my computer because of this. Now FOBs (Forward Operating Base) like in Iraq and ships deployed can't really hook up our game consoles to them. Some FOBs have it bust most don't. It is a bandwidth and security issue. Hell on the boat our internet is like dialup.
SmokenAshes is offline  
post #2902 of 18080 Old 06-20-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I've known a couple of guys that are merchant mariners on the Great Lakes that are able to still access Xbox Live via the ship's satellite internet connection. Outside of nuclear submarines where I imagine any internet access probably is nonexistent, I'm surprised it's that slow still these days.

But I suppose a crew of about 20 men is a far cry from the infrastructure needs on many navy vessels to support even just basic internet service. Super carriers have a crew of over 5,000 men for instance.
Leo_Ames is offline  
post #2903 of 18080 Old 06-20-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pcweber111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Posts: 3,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

But the PS3 doesn't fully support it. Like no Dolby True HD from a BD. And only 720P 3D from the streaming apps.

I would still like to see the 3D capabilities written down.

Wait, what? Huh! I didn't know that. I knew TrueHD was more processor intensive and required more bandwidth but I didn't realize that. Interesting. Saying that I'd imagine that Sony would think ahead and give the PS4 the ability to play TrueHD with 3D BD as it seems a lot of Pixar discs are going that route.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pcweber111 is offline  
post #2904 of 18080 Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 AM
Member
 
Archerkit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Archerkit is offline  
post #2905 of 18080 Old 06-20-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,429
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Wait, what? Huh! I didn't know that. I knew TrueHD was more processor intensive and required more bandwidth but I didn't realize that. Interesting. Saying that I'd imagine that Sony would think ahead and give the PS4 the ability to play TrueHD with 3D BD as it seems a lot of Pixar discs are going that route.

I'm would think the PS3 is capable of sending out DOlby True HD from a 3D BD. Originally you could only get legacy DTS or LEgacy DD from a 3D BD. Then they had an update which enabled DTS-HD MA output. But there still has not been an update to enable Dolby True HD output from a 3D BD. And it's limited to 720P3d from the streaming apps, even though we know the console can output 3D in 1080P, like the streaming apps output from other devices in 3D.

I would certainly expect the PS4 to be able handle 3D from the streaming apps and a BD without any issues like from a stand alone BD player. But it would be nice for them to release the info confirming it's capabilities..

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
post #2906 of 18080 Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
design1stcode2nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Good to see MS realize their mistake. It doesn't change my purchasing choice since I don’t think a kinect would work well in my theater but good for the customer.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 (flood resilient build)
 

Play like a Raven

design1stcode2nd is offline  
post #2907 of 18080 Old 06-20-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,517
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I'm would think the PS3 is capable of sending out DOlby True HD from a 3D BD. Originally you could only get legacy DTS or LEgacy DD from a 3D BD. Then they had an update which enabled DTS-HD MA output. But there still has not been an update to enable Dolby True HD output from a 3D BD. And it's limited to 720P3d from the streaming apps, even though we know the console can output 3D in 1080P, like the streaming apps output from other devices in 3D.

I would certainly expect the PS4 to be able handle 3D from the streaming apps and a BD without any issues like from a stand alone BD player. But it would be nice for them to release the info confirming it's capabilities..

I wouldn't worry about this stuff....I'm sure it will be a solid BD player that supports everything.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #2908 of 18080 Old 06-20-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
defdog99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerkit View Post

Another interesting read from an indie developer:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/20/4445476/phil-fish-on-fez-2-ambition-and-launch-platforms-not-xbox

That's funny. A guy who made a game to look like 16-bit SNES, bashes Minecraft which looks like a 16-bit SNES game.
Archerkit likes this.
defdog99 is offline  
post #2909 of 18080 Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
samendolaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Malbar, FL
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
samendolaro is offline  
post #2910 of 18080 Old 06-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I can't believe they aren't using the 11/12/13. Isn't Tuesday new release day already?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is online now  
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Games , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off