AVS Forum banner
736K views 21K replies 625 participants last post by  8mile13 
#1 ·

The PlayStation 4 was released on November 15th, 2013 in North America (and two weeks later in Europe) for $399. Here are the specs:
  • Main Processor: Single chip custom processor. CPU is an x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores.

• Graphic Processor: GPU is an AMD next-generation Radeon graphics engine rated at 1.84 teraflops with 18 unified Compute Units.

• Memory: 8GB GDDR5 with 176GB/s bandwidth.

• Hard Drive: 500 GB, replaceable with any standard notebook HDD

• Optical Drive (read only): BD 6x CAV, DVD 8x CAV

• I/O: Super-Speed USB 3.0, Aux (for PS4 Eye)

• Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T), IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR)

• AV Output: HDMI, Analogue AV out, optical digital audio output

~~~

Here's a full list of current PS4 games, as well as all of the announced upcoming titles with video preview links when available.

~~~

The PS4 comes with a new DualShock 4 controller and a headset. The PS3's Move works with the system, and a new PS Camera with dual lenses and increased resolution is sold separately for $60. As a nice bonus, any PS4 game that doesn't have motion control features can be played on the Vita handheld for no extra charge (remote WiFi or over the internet).

Other known tidbits include not having PS3 compatibility except through future Gaikai streaming technology (PSOne and PS2 games as well). Streaming tech also allows you to broadcast as you play, and the system auto records 15 minutes of play at all times, though you can record an entire session manually if you wish.

You don't need to be online to use the PS4, and the system will not block used/rented games. All retail games can be downloaded on the launch day of the title. PlayStation Plus is required to play games online, but not to access media apps or to enjoy offline free-to-play games. The PS4 also allows you to play games you are downloading or installing before you get the entire content.

Up to four different accounts on a PS4 can play simultaneously and share all content, including PS+ stuff, for no extra charge. After designating a primary PS4, you can also share all of your digital content for free with at least one designated secondary PS4 that has logged into your account as long as you are with PS+. So if you and your brother have your own PS4s, have his unit set to be your primary machine and do the opposite for the one you own. That way, you both can enjoy one purchased copy of any digital title as much as you want.

Oh, and be sure to check out this PS4
control video.[/URL] One feature it doesn't mention is that from the UI screen you can tap the L2 button to replace saying the word "PlayStation" in order to open up the voice command options.

System launch titles included Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack, DriveClub, Watch Dogs, (both are delayed until 2014) and Battlefield 4, as well as some PSN downloads like Resogun and The Pinball Arcade. PS+ members will got Resogun and Contrast for free.

Link to the Official PlayStation 4 FAQ

See less See more
#17,141 ·
I will always buy my games the way I get the most value for my money. Mostof the time, it's the physical game disc. I almost bought Destiny as a digitaldownload just because I know I will be playing it a lot and always want it onmy PS4. But, I have the gamers club thing at BestBuy where I can save 20%.Saving money beats digital every time for me. Plus, if I get something I don'tlike or finish quickly, I can always trade them in saving me even more money.

#17,143 ·
I will always buy my games the way I get the most value for my money. Mostof the time, it's the physical game disc. I almost bought Destiny as a digitaldownload just because I know I will be playing it a lot and always want it onmy PS4. But, I have the gamers club thing at BestBuy where I can save 20%.Saving money beats digital every time for me. Plus, if I get something I don'tlike or finish quickly, I can always trade them in saving me even more money.
I have that Gamers Club thing too. I got it for something like $20 for two years and then decided to go all digital after the fact. So it kind of sucks that I can't take advantage of it.

#17,144 ·
That user has had his/hers account re-activated. They dealt with Sony and it was taken care of. They believe PayPal was the culprit. PayPal thought the charge was fraud and reversed the transaction. In turn Sony banned the account.
I don't think that's the take away. The salient point is who owns your digital download? It would appear it's a license subject to termination. That is drastically different than owning a disc that I can operate offline.

It's these digital ownership issues that need to he carefully considered as our consoles move closer to a digital only scenario.

#17,145 ·
I don't think that's the take away. The salient point is who owns your digital download? It would appear it's a license subject to termination. That is drastically different than owning a disc that I can operate offline.

It's these digital ownership issues that need to he carefully considered as our consoles move closer to a digital only scenario.
This was the case with last generation digital purchases. This is nothing new.

#17,147 ·
I don't see it changing in the near future, or the less near future.

PC games can be had from GOG.com, the same company that makes the Witcher games, without DRM. You can download the game files and store them on your hard drive like it's a CD. No need to log into anything.

I don't see the same functionality ever happening with consoles.

#17,148 ·
Just because it is "nothing new" doesn't mean it shouldn't be addressed. At least with digital music, you own the files; if the iTunes/Amazon store shutdown today I'd still be able to play all the music I've purchased.
It's the same risk with digital streaming movie purchases. If the company goes under all your digital purchases are toast.

For me once the next gen gaming systems are launched I won't have much to do with the previous generation. Of course plenty of people want to make sure they can play the old games and for those people I would think they would stick with the old disc format so there is no chance of losing their purchases. For me the benefits of going all digital with games outweigh any risks.

#17,149 ·
Not sure what "mlp" means but, you can do this right now if you go all digital. Doing it using the disc as a delivery method would kill the rental and trade-in markets, which is what everyone was against with the XBO. I'm against anything that ends the rental market as it is the way I play most games (via GF). I might support digital one day if Sony and MS follow the Steam model more closely by offering better discounts and lowering prices on new games faster. If I buy a game, I will not pay $60 for the digital version that often because, I can buy the disc version and trade it in later. Digital prices should reflect the loss of trade-in value, at least $10 cheaper IMO.

I don't understand why this is so hard for Sony and MS to understand, the digital music store revolution (and Steam also) happen because it offered consumers a better value then the CD version of albums. Digital games offer less value right now, the only plus they have is not having to change disc but that doesn't make up for the loss of freedom when it comes to trade-ins or lending to friends IMO. If Sony and MS make digital games the better value, they'll have a revolution similar to what the iTunes Store did for music. Until then, most people will still buy the disc versions.
The music industry used to make way more money off of CDs than they ever have from digital.

#17,150 · (Edited)
It's the same risk with digital streaming movie purchases. If the company goes under all your digital purchases are toast.
Which is the exact reason why I don't buy digital movies, unless it is a digital copy that comes with my Blu-Ray.

The music industry used to make way more money off of CDs than they ever have from digital.
I don't care, that's not my problem. That my sound harsh but, I'm not about to sit around and worry about the bottom line of the companies from which I have bought products. I'm only worried about getting the best bang for my buck. The music industry survived and so would the gaming industry. This idea that we as consumers can't demand better prices or deals because it is not in the best interest of the "company" is carzy IMO.

#17,151 ·
Which is the exact reason why I don't buy digital movies, unless it is a digital copy that comes with my Blu-Ray.

I don't care, that's not my problem. That my sound harsh but, I'm not about to sit around and worry about the bottom line of the companies from which I have bought products. I'm only worried about getting the best bang for my buck. The music industry survived and so would the gaming industry. This idea that we as consumers can't demand better prices or deals because it is not in the best interest of the "company" is carzy IMO.

Totally. Just saying that might explain their reluctance. Right now it's much easier for them to sell you a $60 bundle at retail, digital tends to bring the average price down.

#17,152 ·
When we've been buying $60 games for so long, why would they want to change? Old crusty men in charge that can't let go of the past and sell things a different way.

Steam purchases always jump during their sales. I'm sure the same would happen for sony/ms. They just have to be willing to let it happen.

#17,153 ·
60 bucks for most games. 89-99 for limited edition. 150 for a plastic ghost, etc. Crusty old men plan all to well but I am amazed at the difference in content between The Last of Us @ 59.99(original release) versus 60 dollar games from the last two decades. We are lucky that inflation hasn't hit retail game prices much

#17,155 ·
As far as digital music don't forget that it was mostly Apples 800 lb gorilla that got us unencumbered mp3s. Microsoft and their $%&tty Zune service was the poster child for lockout of purchases. That's not to point fingers but just to show what it takes to make that stuff happen. Sony is doing a pretty good job with flash sales and discounts so far. Not perfect but not bad. It would take an Apple type gorilla to come along and digitize games so to speak. Steam looks to be the best at that right now. If we could only get Microsoft and Sony to include Steam clients we'd be good but that cuts into revenue streams and won't happen but tgat would be a good way to realize BD's one purchase many device plan.

#17,156 ·
60 bucks for most games. 89-99 for limited edition. 150 for a plastic ghost, etc. Crusty old men plan all to well but I am amazed at the difference in content between The Last of Us @ 59.99(original release) versus 60 dollar games from the last two decades. We are lucky that inflation hasn't hit retail game prices much

That's a separate little nuance to gaming business. I don't support that kind of thing either.

So many games now come with little tchotchkes that it's out of hand IMO. I'm sure the companies are making major money, or they wouldn't be doing it.

Pre-order exclusives are another thing I wish would go away.

#17,157 ·
That's a separate little nuance to gaming business. I don't support that kind of thing either.

So many games now come with little tchotchkes that it's out of hand IMO. I'm sure the companies are making major money, or they wouldn't be doing it.

Pre-order exclusives are another thing I wish would go away.
I agree. I don't need some little doll or 'fancy' case. But as long as people will pay for these 'exclusives' they will keep putting them out.

#17,158 ·
somewhat off topic, but i was listening to this weird al song and i think he was reading this thread (jump to 1:07 if you don't want to listen to the whole song.. but you should listen to the whole thing..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

Love it, I haven't heard a weird al album in a long time.

I never know when to use whom. "To whom" according to that video, maybe I can remember that.

#17,159 ·
As far as digital music don't forget that it was mostly Apples 800 lb gorilla that got us unencumbered mp3s. Microsoft and their $%&tty Zune service was the poster child for lockout of purchases. That's not to point fingers but just to show what it takes to make that stuff happen. Sony is doing a pretty good job with flash sales and discounts so far. Not perfect but not bad. It would take an Apple type gorilla to come along and digitize games so to speak. Steam looks to be the best at that right now. If we could only get Microsoft and Sony to include Steam clients we'd be good but that cuts into revenue streams and won't happen but tgat would be a good way to realize BD's one purchase many device plan.

If everyone just stopped buying console games until our purchases and multiplayer are cross platform, things would change pretty quickly. They're not going to do it without a little encouragement, so to speak.

Who's with me? :p

#17,160 ·
Yes you get a lot for your money. I remember paying $25 to $35 for Atari 2600 games in the late 70's and early 80's. That was extremely expensive back then compared to now when you factor in inflation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.