AVS Forum banner
736K views 21K replies 625 participants last post by  8mile13 
#1 ·

The PlayStation 4 was released on November 15th, 2013 in North America (and two weeks later in Europe) for $399. Here are the specs:
  • Main Processor: Single chip custom processor. CPU is an x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores.

• Graphic Processor: GPU is an AMD next-generation Radeon graphics engine rated at 1.84 teraflops with 18 unified Compute Units.

• Memory: 8GB GDDR5 with 176GB/s bandwidth.

• Hard Drive: 500 GB, replaceable with any standard notebook HDD

• Optical Drive (read only): BD 6x CAV, DVD 8x CAV

• I/O: Super-Speed USB 3.0, Aux (for PS4 Eye)

• Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T), IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR)

• AV Output: HDMI, Analogue AV out, optical digital audio output

~~~

Here's a full list of current PS4 games, as well as all of the announced upcoming titles with video preview links when available.

~~~

The PS4 comes with a new DualShock 4 controller and a headset. The PS3's Move works with the system, and a new PS Camera with dual lenses and increased resolution is sold separately for $60. As a nice bonus, any PS4 game that doesn't have motion control features can be played on the Vita handheld for no extra charge (remote WiFi or over the internet).

Other known tidbits include not having PS3 compatibility except through future Gaikai streaming technology (PSOne and PS2 games as well). Streaming tech also allows you to broadcast as you play, and the system auto records 15 minutes of play at all times, though you can record an entire session manually if you wish.

You don't need to be online to use the PS4, and the system will not block used/rented games. All retail games can be downloaded on the launch day of the title. PlayStation Plus is required to play games online, but not to access media apps or to enjoy offline free-to-play games. The PS4 also allows you to play games you are downloading or installing before you get the entire content.

Up to four different accounts on a PS4 can play simultaneously and share all content, including PS+ stuff, for no extra charge. After designating a primary PS4, you can also share all of your digital content for free with at least one designated secondary PS4 that has logged into your account as long as you are with PS+. So if you and your brother have your own PS4s, have his unit set to be your primary machine and do the opposite for the one you own. That way, you both can enjoy one purchased copy of any digital title as much as you want.

Oh, and be sure to check out this PS4
control video.[/URL] One feature it doesn't mention is that from the UI screen you can tap the L2 button to replace saying the word "PlayStation" in order to open up the voice command options.

System launch titles included Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack, DriveClub, Watch Dogs, (both are delayed until 2014) and Battlefield 4, as well as some PSN downloads like Resogun and The Pinball Arcade. PS+ members will got Resogun and Contrast for free.

Link to the Official PlayStation 4 FAQ

See less See more
#20,111 ·
Mouse vs controller in a shooter is a big gap in capabilities, so no fun to have them share servers.
I watched a comparison of Battlefield 4, PC vs console, and BF4 has an auto-aim feature for the console version. He described it as something that changes gameplay to some extent. I can't imagine it'd make sense to mix the two, but might be fun to see what happens. Would PC users be OK with their opponents using auto-aim? :)

#20,113 ·
Using a controller(except with Nintendo) was basically foreign to me in 2005. But I liked console gaming so much, after getting a 360 that year, that I stopped PC gaming back then. Now I could not imgaine ever going back to a keyboard/mouse for gaming.

Reactions: Smigro
#20,114 ·
I've never had a cat (allergic), but have a couple that hang around my house killing moles (awesome). Just wish Butters got along with them better...

View attachment 792786

I'd like a ps4, but it's yet to have a game that's a "must have." UC4 may change that, but it's still frustrating my phat still does things (and has a remote) the ps4 doesn't.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]

With the DLNA update, there's not a whole lot that the PS3 does which the PS4 cannot anymore. I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

#20,115 ·
Now I know why all of you guys have loud PS4's. It's all the dang cat hair! :)

But I got em too, but they don't like the loud noises in the media room much.....

That's probably my issue too. I have 2 dogs, 2 cats and 2 rabbits!

However my PS4 fan isn't that loud. The only game I notice it kick into high gear is with Witcher 3.

#20,116 ·
I watched a comparison of Battlefield 4, PC vs console, and BF4 has an auto-aim feature for the console version. He described it as something that changes gameplay to some extent. I can't imagine it'd make sense to mix the two, but might be fun to see what happens. Would PC users be OK with their opponents using auto-aim? :)
There was a good article in Wired many years ago where a Bungie team member described all the ways that Halo "assisted" the aim of a player using a controller.

Can't find it at the moment but this link serves as a good synopsis:

http://www.halopedia.org/Aim_assist

There are four types of aim assist in Halo titles: Snapping, Friction, Acceleration, and Magnetism.

• Magnetism defines and outlines how far a bullet will "bend" in order to hit an enemy. Bullets and projectiles do not necessarily travel in a straight path; they will curve very slightly in order to hit a target. Different projectiles will experience different curvatures.
  • Snapping reorients the gun barrels toward enemies whenever a player's reticle are in proximity to their target.
  • Acceleration makes it so that when the player pegs their aiming stick in one direction the player's reticle will start moving slowly in that direction then pick up speed.
  • Friction slows the player's turn rate as soon as their reticule passes over an enemy. What it does is that it slows the player's top speed, and then dramatically decrease the rate at which the crosshair will slow down when the player release the stick.
From what I recall the suggestion at the time was that all FPS games on modern consoles employed similar techniques to some extent due to the inherent lack of precision of the twin stick controllers.

#20,119 ·
Awesome. Looks like PS Plus is back to giving us four indie games for July. The other guys get assassins creed 4 black flag.

Hopefully thsi rocket league is as fun as some say it is
What are the games? Are they available today?

#20,120 ·
Awesome. Looks like PS Plus is back to giving us four indie games for July. The other guys get assassins creed 4 black flag.

Hopefully thsi rocket league is as fun as some say it is
I don't even bother downloading those cruddy indie games anymore. Mobile phone graphic games that bore me after 5 minutes then get deleted. I rather buy triple A games.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.