AVS Forum banner
736K views 21K replies 625 participants last post by  8mile13 
#1 ·

The PlayStation 4 was released on November 15th, 2013 in North America (and two weeks later in Europe) for $399. Here are the specs:
  • Main Processor: Single chip custom processor. CPU is an x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores.

• Graphic Processor: GPU is an AMD next-generation Radeon graphics engine rated at 1.84 teraflops with 18 unified Compute Units.

• Memory: 8GB GDDR5 with 176GB/s bandwidth.

• Hard Drive: 500 GB, replaceable with any standard notebook HDD

• Optical Drive (read only): BD 6x CAV, DVD 8x CAV

• I/O: Super-Speed USB 3.0, Aux (for PS4 Eye)

• Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T), IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR)

• AV Output: HDMI, Analogue AV out, optical digital audio output

~~~

Here's a full list of current PS4 games, as well as all of the announced upcoming titles with video preview links when available.

~~~

The PS4 comes with a new DualShock 4 controller and a headset. The PS3's Move works with the system, and a new PS Camera with dual lenses and increased resolution is sold separately for $60. As a nice bonus, any PS4 game that doesn't have motion control features can be played on the Vita handheld for no extra charge (remote WiFi or over the internet).

Other known tidbits include not having PS3 compatibility except through future Gaikai streaming technology (PSOne and PS2 games as well). Streaming tech also allows you to broadcast as you play, and the system auto records 15 minutes of play at all times, though you can record an entire session manually if you wish.

You don't need to be online to use the PS4, and the system will not block used/rented games. All retail games can be downloaded on the launch day of the title. PlayStation Plus is required to play games online, but not to access media apps or to enjoy offline free-to-play games. The PS4 also allows you to play games you are downloading or installing before you get the entire content.

Up to four different accounts on a PS4 can play simultaneously and share all content, including PS+ stuff, for no extra charge. After designating a primary PS4, you can also share all of your digital content for free with at least one designated secondary PS4 that has logged into your account as long as you are with PS+. So if you and your brother have your own PS4s, have his unit set to be your primary machine and do the opposite for the one you own. That way, you both can enjoy one purchased copy of any digital title as much as you want.

Oh, and be sure to check out this PS4
control video.[/URL] One feature it doesn't mention is that from the UI screen you can tap the L2 button to replace saying the word "PlayStation" in order to open up the voice command options.

System launch titles included Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack, DriveClub, Watch Dogs, (both are delayed until 2014) and Battlefield 4, as well as some PSN downloads like Resogun and The Pinball Arcade. PS+ members will got Resogun and Contrast for free.

Link to the Official PlayStation 4 FAQ

See less See more
#20,121 ·
I don't even bother downloading those cruddy indie games anymore. Mobile phone graphic games that bore me after 5 minutes then get deleted. I rather buy triple A games.
I want to at least try a game before I call it crud. I would rather have it for free and give it a try first than to only have an option of buying it. Of course if history is any indicator I probably won't like them. But I want to try them first before making that decision.

#20,122 ·
What are the games? Are they available today?
Rocket League (PS4)
Styx: Master of Shadows (PS4)
MouseCraft (PS4, PS3, PS Vita)
Entwined (PS4, PS3, PS Vita)
Rain (PS3)
Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved (PS Vita)

available 7/7; curious to try Styx and Entwined. Nice they are still including PS3 but hopefully they ween it off and just give us all PS4/Vita titles. Or maybe make some PSNow titles be F2P for a money or something to that effect.

#20,123 ·
I'm normally not a big fan of the free "indie" games, but seriously give Rocket League a chance.

I don't like car games and I don't like soccer, but Rocket League is my favorite multiplayer experience in years...Like, back to COD 4 and Shadowrun (FPS).

It won best MP game of E3 this year and I wouldn't surprised if it won multiplayer game of the year...

I downloaded the beta months ago expected to play a few minutes to check it out, but ended up playing probably 20-30 hours in the 2 beta weeks, and I'm a busy father of 3 who generally doesn't play games all that much these days.

#20,128 ·
Rocket League (PS4)
Styx: Master of Shadows (PS4)
MouseCraft (PS4, PS3, PS Vita)
Entwined (PS4, PS3, PS Vita)
Rain (PS3)
Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved (PS Vita)

available 7/7; curious to try Styx and Entwined. Nice they are still including PS3 but hopefully they ween it off and just give us all PS4/Vita titles. Or maybe make some PSNow titles be F2P for a money or something to that effect.
I hope they don't offer PSNow games instead of the ones I can store locally. As an addition it's fine, as a replacement for something else not so much. PSNow doesn't really work that well imo.

#20,129 ·
Just a hard pill to swallow when it was completely free to play online with a PS3. That was a big selling point to my buddies to convince them to dump MS and come over to game with me. I didn't have Plus on ps3, but I was well aware of the outstanding games they gave away. So when I learned I had to essentially pay to play online, it wasn't that big of a deal because I would be getting all these great games for free.

Not going to rip down walls and trade my PS4 in (i am happy w my system). But it is easy to see why people are frustrated when you essentially mandate paying when something was free, and then offer games that arent even close to what the paying customers got before (with a few exceptions).

#20,130 ·
What I meant to say was I did download and try these indie games on PS+ but they were boring mobile graphics I deleted them right away.

#20,132 ·
Just a hard pill to swallow when it was completely free to play online with a PS3. That was a big selling point to my buddies to convince them to dump MS and come over to game with me. I didn't have Plus on ps3, but I was well aware of the outstanding games they gave away. So when I learned I had to essentially pay to play online, it wasn't that big of a deal because I would be getting all these great games for free.

Not going to rip down walls and trade my PS4 in (i am happy w my system). But it is easy to see why people are frustrated when you essentially mandate paying when something was free, and then offer games that arent even close to what the paying customers got before (with a few exceptions).
We can thank XBL for this. Had they not had success Sony wouldn't have bothered. From what i personally recall, save for a few titles, PS3 online was suspect most of the time. It is definitely a lot better this go around, hopefully due to our hostage dollars. I don't know how many games were available during PS3 era, but i personal appreciate what titles are offered, mainly because some games I completely forget about playing.

What I meant to say was I did download and try these indie games on PS+ but they were boring mobile graphics I deleted them right away.
Should really give them a shot. Some might look like SNES titles, but they really are fun to play.

DTV + DVR

This is the main reason i keep mine connected.

Oh and remote support suing BT-IR adaptor.
How are you DVR'ing with the PS3? Never knew this was a thing.

#20,133 ·
Some of these indies are pretty fun. Super Exploding Zoo or whatever is addicting. Some others I tried weren't bad but there was a couple I deleted or will be deleting.
IMO, Trine 2, Valiant Hearts, Resogun, and a few others whose names escape me at the moment have been pretty darn good. Though...those have decent graphics. I can't get excited about free games that look like Atari 2600. Overall, I don't mind the indie games being thrown at us.

I welcome Rocket League.

#20,138 ·
I keep trying to post, and it doesn't seem to "take"... Weird. Let's see if this makes it. Anyway, I'll keep it brief since I'm tired of retyping!

Yeah, it's been annoying having mostly indie games, but some of them are fun for a short while, enough to justify PS Plus, I think. There have been a few really good ones.

Drive Club Playstation Plus version looks good from the few minutes I played. Looks like most of the cars are not available, but some are.

#20,139 ·
PS4 maintains power momentarily during power outages.

I recently found out whether by design or coincidence the PS4 does not lose power if a power outage is quick enough.

Was beating some thugs heads in with Batman and was in a intense fight when the power in my neighborhood flickered 4 times. My TV and AVR fully lost power 4 times over the period of ~25 seconds. The first time I thought "bummer" lost my progress. My AVR clicked back on before my TV and I could hear the game audio still, I was VERY suprised, so I kept mashing my fighting buttons and a few second later my tv came on and I was still healthy enough to keep fighting. My power cycled 3 more times and the PS4 never missed a beat. Pretty cool. Glad I wasn't playing Destiny cause I lost internet.

#20,140 ·
I recently found out whether by design or coincidence the PS4 does not lose power if a power outage is quick enough.

Was beating some thugs heads in with Batman and was in a intense fight when the power in my neighborhood flickered 4 times. My TV and AVR fully lost power 4 times over the period of ~25 seconds. The first time I thought "bummer" lost my progress. My AVR clicked back on before my TV and I could hear the game audio still, I was VERY suprised, so I kept mashing my fighting buttons and a few second later my tv came on and I was still healthy enough to keep fighting. My power cycled 3 more times and the PS4 never missed a beat. Pretty cool. Glad I wasn't playing Destiny cause I lost internet.
did not know. Last time this happened, everything went down and i had the lovely "scanning for problems" screen. Is your PS4 on a UPS or anything?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.