AVS Forum banner
736K views 21K replies 625 participants last post by  8mile13 
#1 ·

The PlayStation 4 was released on November 15th, 2013 in North America (and two weeks later in Europe) for $399. Here are the specs:
  • Main Processor: Single chip custom processor. CPU is an x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores.

• Graphic Processor: GPU is an AMD next-generation Radeon graphics engine rated at 1.84 teraflops with 18 unified Compute Units.

• Memory: 8GB GDDR5 with 176GB/s bandwidth.

• Hard Drive: 500 GB, replaceable with any standard notebook HDD

• Optical Drive (read only): BD 6x CAV, DVD 8x CAV

• I/O: Super-Speed USB 3.0, Aux (for PS4 Eye)

• Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T), IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR)

• AV Output: HDMI, Analogue AV out, optical digital audio output

~~~

Here's a full list of current PS4 games, as well as all of the announced upcoming titles with video preview links when available.

~~~

The PS4 comes with a new DualShock 4 controller and a headset. The PS3's Move works with the system, and a new PS Camera with dual lenses and increased resolution is sold separately for $60. As a nice bonus, any PS4 game that doesn't have motion control features can be played on the Vita handheld for no extra charge (remote WiFi or over the internet).

Other known tidbits include not having PS3 compatibility except through future Gaikai streaming technology (PSOne and PS2 games as well). Streaming tech also allows you to broadcast as you play, and the system auto records 15 minutes of play at all times, though you can record an entire session manually if you wish.

You don't need to be online to use the PS4, and the system will not block used/rented games. All retail games can be downloaded on the launch day of the title. PlayStation Plus is required to play games online, but not to access media apps or to enjoy offline free-to-play games. The PS4 also allows you to play games you are downloading or installing before you get the entire content.

Up to four different accounts on a PS4 can play simultaneously and share all content, including PS+ stuff, for no extra charge. After designating a primary PS4, you can also share all of your digital content for free with at least one designated secondary PS4 that has logged into your account as long as you are with PS+. So if you and your brother have your own PS4s, have his unit set to be your primary machine and do the opposite for the one you own. That way, you both can enjoy one purchased copy of any digital title as much as you want.

Oh, and be sure to check out this PS4
control video.[/URL] One feature it doesn't mention is that from the UI screen you can tap the L2 button to replace saying the word "PlayStation" in order to open up the voice command options.

System launch titles included Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack, DriveClub, Watch Dogs, (both are delayed until 2014) and Battlefield 4, as well as some PSN downloads like Resogun and The Pinball Arcade. PS+ members will got Resogun and Contrast for free.

Link to the Official PlayStation 4 FAQ

See less See more
#20,443 ·
Quick question before Tuesday.

I plan on swapping out the hard drive when I get the new system and know I have to do that USB firmware update thing. My question is should I start up the system first with the stock hd in it so I can properly set up the internet connection or doesn't that matter?

#20,444 ·
Quick question before Tuesday.

I plan on swapping out the hard drive when I get the new system and know I have to do that USB firmware update thing. My question is should I start up the system first with the stock hd in it so I can properly set up the internet connection or doesn't that matter?
No, everything will be wiped and act as if nothing has been configured before. You'll have to go through and set it all up, so just swap the drive then boot up with USB, initialize/update firmware, then enough PS4.

#20,445 ·
#20,447 ·
And just in the name of accuracy, that cable is actually $14.99 from monoprice, not $23.
Actually the $14.99 is for the 10.2 Gbps cable. I got the 18 Gbps one which on Monoprice's site is $17.10. If you add in the $6 shipping to get it to me in the same amount of time, I actually would have spent more going through them instead of Amazon with free 2 day shipping.

#20,449 ·
Is there any way to keep the Bitstream audio for BRD playback? I have it set under the system settings but it seems to change when I actually play a disk and have to hit options>settings and change it back.
In the blu ray movie, press options and go to settings there. You'll find an audio settings that needs to be set to bitstream as well. Both that and the console system settings need to be set to bitstream and should remain.

If it keeps resetting consider reinitializing the console.

#20,450 ·
Sony has a good sale, although I'm mostly finding stuff for the PS3.

I've only had a problem with one HDMI cable, and it was a cheap Monoprice one...and only with one combination of player and TV. But you can get a dud with anything. For higher bitrate stuff, you need better cables, but I think I might be using the ps4 cable on my PS3 or something. I'm pretty sure I have a nicer cable on the ps4 just in case, but no expensive cables for me.

#20,452 ·
http://gematsu.com/2015/09/ape-escape-2-dark-cloud-2-twisted-metal-black-rated-ps4-europe

The Pan European Game Information Board has rated Ape Escape 2, Dark Cloud 2 (Dark Chronicle), and Twisted Metal: Black for PlayStation 4.

Twisted Metal: Black is already available as a PS2 Classic for PlayStation 3 in Europe. It was released in September 2012.

This would appear to be Sony bringing its selection of PS2 Classics from PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 4. If anything, we might find out for sure tomorrow, as Sony is holding its SCEJA Press Conference 2015 in Japan.

#20,454 ·
DriveClub Discounted

If anyone has been waiting to pick up DriveClub, the main game has just been discounted to $14.99 https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/driveclub/cid=UP9000-CUSA00093_00-XXXXXXXDRIVECLUB and the Season Pass to $12.99 https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...pass/cid=UP9000-CUSA00093_00-DRIVESEASONPASS1.

Better yet, if you have PS+, there is a new PS+ version that is $19.99 for the whole enchilada https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ndle/cid=UP9000-CUSA00093_00-PSPLUSSEASONPASS. This is an insanely good value!

#20,455 ·
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-playstation-4-cuh-1200-c-chassis-review

The article goes into more depth, but here's Eurogamer's verdict on the new PS4 model, CUH-1200.

PlayStation 4 CUH-1200, 'C-Chassis': the Digital Foundry verdict

Two years into its lifespan, the new C-Chassis model PS4 tackles the hardware's most glaring issue: its acoustic signature under load. In terms of noise output, the fans still kick into a high gear with games like Rocket League - and just like the launch PS4, a disc spinning in the drive pushes this decibel reading still higher. However, it's without a doubt a substantial improvement over the launch unit. The heavier rush of air in our CUH-1000 model is replaced with a more bearable hum, at 10dB quieter; a sound that's no longer audible from across an office space. For all intents and purposes, the most grating edge of the PS4's audio signature is taken off.

It's quieter, lighter and around 30W more power efficient during the games tested. But as a sacrifice, peak temperatures are also marginally worse. Given that its APU uses the same 28nm design as a launch PS4, inevitably the C-Chassis' drop in fan speed has a knock-on effect with heat build-up inside the unit. Fortunately, this rarely exceeds the last model by much more than two degrees Celsius overall, which gives an optimistic outlook on the new console's long-term reliability. It's a minor detracting point, and on balance for the improved acoustics, a worthy trade-off.

#20,457 ·
Actually the $14.99 is for the 10.2 Gbps cable. I got the 18 Gbps one which on Monoprice's site is $17.10. If you add in the $6 shipping to get it to me in the same amount of time, I actually would have spent more going through them instead of Amazon with free 2 day shipping.
This is the cable you pointed to on Amazon. If you bought a different cable, I was only responding to what you posted. 6' 18 gbps cable for $23.11.

#20,458 · (Edited)

SCEJA Conference TGS 2015 (skip to 30:12).

Highlights include:

Nioh by Team Ninja (Koei Tecmo). This was supposed to be a launch PS3 game!!

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters DLC

Gravity Rush 2 (and Gravity Rush Remaster)

Dragon Quest Builders

World of Final Fantasy

Uncharted 4 (we've seen most -- if not all of it before, but it's a cool compilation)

Hot Shots Golf

Also, some pretty interesting Vita games (hopefully they get releases here too).

PlayStationVR (Morpheus) promo.

PS4 promo.

Though Tearaway Unfolded has already been released, the Japanese launch trailer is pretty entertaining.

#20,459 ·
#20,460 ·
I want Kingdom Hearts 1&2 in remasted HD for the PS4 like they did with Final Fantasy X. Especially before Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out for the PS4.
http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/no-plans-for-kingdom-hearts-hd-1-5-2-5-remix-on-ps4/
“Recently, we also received a significant increase in requests for the Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix and Kingdom Hearts 2.5 Remix to be released on the PS4. Unfortunately, we don’t have any plans for that.”
The last I read from Nomura is that KH 1 & 2 aren't coming to the PS4. However, knowing Square-Enix, this will probably change:). All I know is that I was a little pissed when FF X Remastered was announced for PS4, after I had bought it for PS3. So, I'll be waiting with along with you. At least there's 2.8.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.