AVS Forum banner
736K views 21K replies 625 participants last post by  8mile13 
#1 ·

The PlayStation 4 was released on November 15th, 2013 in North America (and two weeks later in Europe) for $399. Here are the specs:
  • Main Processor: Single chip custom processor. CPU is an x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores.

• Graphic Processor: GPU is an AMD next-generation Radeon graphics engine rated at 1.84 teraflops with 18 unified Compute Units.

• Memory: 8GB GDDR5 with 176GB/s bandwidth.

• Hard Drive: 500 GB, replaceable with any standard notebook HDD

• Optical Drive (read only): BD 6x CAV, DVD 8x CAV

• I/O: Super-Speed USB 3.0, Aux (for PS4 Eye)

• Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T), IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR)

• AV Output: HDMI, Analogue AV out, optical digital audio output

~~~

Here's a full list of current PS4 games, as well as all of the announced upcoming titles with video preview links when available.

~~~

The PS4 comes with a new DualShock 4 controller and a headset. The PS3's Move works with the system, and a new PS Camera with dual lenses and increased resolution is sold separately for $60. As a nice bonus, any PS4 game that doesn't have motion control features can be played on the Vita handheld for no extra charge (remote WiFi or over the internet).

Other known tidbits include not having PS3 compatibility except through future Gaikai streaming technology (PSOne and PS2 games as well). Streaming tech also allows you to broadcast as you play, and the system auto records 15 minutes of play at all times, though you can record an entire session manually if you wish.

You don't need to be online to use the PS4, and the system will not block used/rented games. All retail games can be downloaded on the launch day of the title. PlayStation Plus is required to play games online, but not to access media apps or to enjoy offline free-to-play games. The PS4 also allows you to play games you are downloading or installing before you get the entire content.

Up to four different accounts on a PS4 can play simultaneously and share all content, including PS+ stuff, for no extra charge. After designating a primary PS4, you can also share all of your digital content for free with at least one designated secondary PS4 that has logged into your account as long as you are with PS+. So if you and your brother have your own PS4s, have his unit set to be your primary machine and do the opposite for the one you own. That way, you both can enjoy one purchased copy of any digital title as much as you want.

Oh, and be sure to check out this PS4
control video.[/URL] One feature it doesn't mention is that from the UI screen you can tap the L2 button to replace saying the word "PlayStation" in order to open up the voice command options.

System launch titles included Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack, DriveClub, Watch Dogs, (both are delayed until 2014) and Battlefield 4, as well as some PSN downloads like Resogun and The Pinball Arcade. PS+ members will got Resogun and Contrast for free.

Link to the Official PlayStation 4 FAQ

See less See more
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable  /t/1459375/playstation-4#post_22991192

8GB 176GB/s Unified memory

I'm not sure how they pulled that off after rumors of 2GB and 4GB, but nice.

5 years from now, we'll be glad they did. If it really was a last minute upgrade, none of the games we've seen even begin to take advantage of it.

#6 ·
They focused on games the entire time. I am more than satisfied.

~~~

The first post now has a summary of the notes I posted in the conference thread. If I missed anything important, let me know.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnarum23  /t/1459375/playstation-4#post_22991450

I'm a little underwhelmed.

No price

No exact date

No actual images of the console itself!!!!

Way drawn out for what they showed.

The idea was to show off the developers that they have lined up to work with them on this, and the basics of the hardware in the system. Also wanted to show off their social networking integration. All of this so that Microsoft is now forced to up them when they make their announcement later on. After that, Sony will then go and release further information at E3 and be able to counter what MS comes out with.

It's all a game of media poker, so to speak. Make your bet, see what your opponent does, then re-raise him if he raises you.

#8 ·
Not everyone cares about social networking. I spend 0% of my time on Facebook or Twitter. 0. I've never seen a Twitter page, ever. I could be wrong, but I've always considered the PS3 to be the grown-up's system. I've always considered the 360 what the kids play. I do realize there is a big youth (or youth-minded) community on the PS3, I've been on Home, but I still have always thought we have a more mature audience on the PS3. I don't really know if a lot of people are going to care much about having Facebook integration.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ  /t/1459375/playstation-4#post_22991510

Not everyone cares about social networking. I spend 0% of my time on Facebook or Twitter. 0. I've never seen a Twitter page, ever. I could be wrong, but I've always considered the PS3 to be the grown-up's system. I've always considered the 360 what the kids play. I do realize there is a big youth (or youth-minded) community on the PS3, I've been on Home, but I still have always thought we have a more mature audience on the PS3. I don't really know if a lot of people are going to care much about having Facebook integration.

I FULLY agree. I HATE Facebook and all that social stuff with a passion. I am hoping that you will not be required to have some type of Facebook account in order to make use of some of the features. I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to go without it though. There are reasons to keep anonymity out there. (I'm guessing that your real name will only be shown to people on your friends list).

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdurg  /t/1459375/playstation-4#post_22991524

I FULLY agree. I HATE Facebook and all that social stuff with a passion. I am hoping that you will not be required to have some type of Facebook account in order to make use of some of the features. I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to go without it though. There are reasons to keep anonymity out there. (I'm guessing that your real name will only be shown to people on your friends list).

My hope is they build it out of the PSN, and only allow you to link it and access it through facebook, mobile web, ect. If you start thinking about it as leaderboards, clans, forums, stat tracking, detailed profiles, ect... there's A LOT they can do in a gaming centric way that is very useful to most of us.

Think the promise of home, but actually done right.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe  /t/1459375/playstation-4#post_22991655

Sounds impressive! Any mention of 4k support?

Not during the presentation. I don't think there are enough televisions out there which support 4k resolution items at this point in time to make it something that would warrant an announcement yet. (I believe that when the PS3 first came out and the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war was going on, HDTVs were widely distributed already. Also, the war was still going on and I think Sony's PS3 announcement of the Blu-Ray drive kind of helped end that "war").

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow  /t/1459375/playstation-4#post_22991559

More detailed PS4 tech info can be found here and here and here .

-Through PS4, users are able to deepen their connections through co-op play or “cross-game chat”. As expected.

-Additionally, users can boot a variety of applications including a web browser when playing a game on PS4. Neat, although even a Vita can do this nowadays.

#19 ·
I tip my hat to Sony. That PS4 reveal was a hell of a lot better than the PS3 IMO. They showed playable games instead of target renders like that infamous one for KZ2. I also applaud them for using more standardized hardware instead of going with some esoteric architecture disaster the Cell turned out to be. Sony sunk a fortune to into creating it and it wasn't exactly easy to make make games for it. The Cell unit was long ago jettisoned by the company. Also, 8GB of DDR5? Nice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.