post #1 of 20 Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Full article here.
Quote:
Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has told Eurogamer that PlayStation 4 will not block the use of second-hand games, contrary to various reports, speculation and even a Sony patent unearthed last month.

I sat down with Yoshida a few hours after the PS4 reveal tonight and one of the first things I asked was whether used games would be blocked.

"Do you want us to do that?" he asked.

No, I said. I think, if you buy something on a disc, that you have a kind of moral contract with the person you've bought it from that you retain some of that value and you can pass it on.

Do you agree, I asked?

"Yes. That's the general expectation by consumers," said Yoshida. "They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation."

So if someone buys a PlayStation 4 game, I asked, you're not going to stop them reselling it?

"Aaaah," was Yoshida's initial answer, but seemingly only because he'd forgotten his line. "So what was our official answer to our internal question?" he asked his Japanese PR advisor. The advisor stepped in but didn't seem to answer clearly, at least to my ears. Yoshida then took control again firmly:

"So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"

I said I thought that was fine.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-20-2013, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
One less thing for people to complain about.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #3 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 03:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
I love how even the higher ups have to double check with PR. Good news though.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #4 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 04:11 AM

Liked: 10
That's a great news.... Many people was worried about it.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk 2
post #5 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 247
He didn't say that you wouldn't have to buy some kind of a used game license for it though.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #6 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

One less thing for people to complain about.

They'll just find something else. My guess is price. After all, this thing should clearly cost only 50 bucks. Any more and it's obvious that Sony are ripping us off. rolleyes.gif

500 gigs FTW.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

He didn't say that you wouldn't have to buy some kind of a used game license for it though.

I'm guessing the days of free ONLINE play with used games is coming to a close, and you'll have to buy a $10 license for the multi-player, etc. And, I suspect that you'll see incentives like "play as Catwoman in the single player AND play online with one easy code!"

And, I'm okay with that.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #8 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

I'm guessing the days of free ONLINE play with used games is coming to a close, and you'll have to buy a $10 license for the multi-player, etc. And, I suspect that you'll see incentives like "play as Catwoman in the single player AND play online with one easy code!"

And, I'm okay with that.

Aren't most games already doing that with their one time use codes for online access? If you get a used game, you have to go to the PS store and purchase a new online access.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Blocking used games means gamestop is out of business.

Im sure there were some backdoor politics involved in this decision
post #10 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Sony's putting the games on the online store on day 1.

That's why they emphasized "an uploading/download chip" and "play while its downloading" features.

People driving across town to buy shiny silver disks with games on them are going away like CDs did to itunes.

(specialty shops will have some games on disk. Just like some vita games are sold on memory cards)

So the used market will entangle the few used games on disk.

PS1/PS2/PS3 games are in the cloud.
post #11 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

Sony's putting the games on the online store on day 1.

That's why they emphasized "an uploading/download chip" and "play while its downloading" features.

People driving across town to buy shiny silver disks with games on them are going away like CDs did to itunes.

(specialty shops will have some games on disk. Just like some vita games are sold on memory cards)

So the used market will entangle the few used games on disk.

PS1/PS2/PS3 games are in the cloud.
This will be interesting. I live in a small down and only have DSL, so downloading games would take hours, and sometimes all night. That was one of the main reasons why I never did it. Well that and lack of storage space, But if they let me start a download and play the game right away while it continues, then I may check it out more. The only thing they need to change is making sure things can be bought right away on Tuesday mornings, not at night.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #12 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
This all sounds great to me, all these online features they touted yesterday. But I too suffer from measly 600kpbs DSL (all I have available to me). Heck, one of the reasons I hardly play new games now is knowing there's likely a giant patch I need to download before I can even play! Still, I'll be buying early. smile.gif But I won't likely be benefiting from their 'vision' any time soon.

bg
post #13 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony locks the game to one console, and allows you to transfer the rights to another console but there is a $10 fee. The transfer can only happen a single time.

That's my personal guess.
post #14 of 20 Old 02-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What if you are still on 56k dial up modem
post #15 of 20 Old 02-22-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony locks the game to one console, and allows you to transfer the rights to another console but there is a $10 fee. The transfer can only happen a single time.

That's my personal guess.
Impossible. There would then be no reason to ever buy retail over the easily transferable digital version.

post #16 of 20 Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I love the idea of digital downloads but the economics of it don't work for me. I like playing a game for a few months, finishing it, and trading it in while it still has value (in some cases ~$25 or so). With downloads, there's nothing to trade in. This is where I fall off the convenience train smile.gif
post #17 of 20 Old 02-22-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Impossible. There would then be no reason to ever buy retail over the easily transferable digital version.

Huh?

Explain how the digital version is transferable ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

What if you are still on 56k dial up modem

Then you're SOL. Period.

Honestly, Microsoft and Sony can't make the kind of money they really want to make off customers that aren't connected online. Their entire business model is based on you being online and paying for some kind of monthly or yearly service, plus, possibly buying or renting TV Shows and Movies, using services like Netlfix and Hulu and Amazon, etc, etc. They want you buying Xbox Live games, and Digital Direct games and DLC and micro transactions, etc, etc. The people that are stricly offline, playing used single player games, make them no money. The only thing they can do with those freeloaders is sell them expensive hardware accessories.
post #18 of 20 Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

And, I'm okay with that.

You are ok that people who bought Batman new and have no internet were denied access to the game content they purchased? Are people who buy used really taxing the companies server so much that it cost 10.00? That is their excuse.. So games are 60.00 this gen, with the extra 10.00 being charged for multiplayer? Last gen was 50.00. I'm willing to pay the actual online cost if I buy used and play online, but I really doubt that it's as high as 10.00.

And can you really trust a company like Sony that was caught sticking spyware in their CDs? What is stopping Sony from blocking used games in a firmware update 3 yrs from now?

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #19 of 20 Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Huh?

Explain how the digital version is transferable ?
I mean that when I traded in my OG PS3 for a Super Slim, I was able to re-download my entire digital catalog from the PSN to transfer it to my new machine at no extra charge. If retail purchases made me pay $10 for the same purpose, I'd only buy digital.
Quote:
Honestly, Microsoft and Sony can't make the kind of money they really want to make off customers that aren't connected online. Their entire business model is based on you being online and paying for some kind of monthly or yearly service, plus, possibly buying or renting TV Shows and Movies, using services like Netlfix and Hulu and Amazon, etc, etc. They want you buying Xbox Live games, and Digital Direct games and DLC and micro transactions, etc, etc. The people that are stricly offline, playing used single player games, make them no money. The only thing they can do with those freeloaders is sell them expensive hardware accessories.

Sony is all for allowing people using the PS4 completely offline if they wish:
Quote:
"Oh yes, yes, you can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social! So if you don't want to connect to anyone else, you can do that."

post #20 of 20 Old 02-22-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I mean that when I traded in my OG PS3 for a Super Slim, I was able to re-download my entire digital catalog from the PSN to transfer it to my new machine at no extra charge. If retail purchases made me pay $10 for the same purpose, I'd only buy digital.

I'm not saying that you would have to pay a $10 fee to transfer it from your "own" console, to another console that you "own". I'm talking about if you're selling one of your games. The other guy can put it in his PS4, but a message will come on the screen saying " Would you like to unlock this game ? Pay the $10 re-activation fee ", or whatever.

The idea being that a used game market would still exist, but the publisher and platform holder would get something out of the deal. Hopefully the $10 part of the equation would cause people to avoid GameStop, and hopefully gamers would sell directly to other gamers (the way it should be). The one time transfer, would just be a situation where the original owner would only be able to sell the game off a single time. The new owner would not be able to sell the game off. This would appease the publishers, because one used copy of Black OP 2 might travel around to 10 different owners. This way, it would only be used by 2 different owners. It gives the original owner the right to sell, but the subsequent owner wouldn't be able to pass it on to somebody else.

Yeah, we would be losing some rights in this scenario, but I'm telling you, our rights are going to be totally non-existent soon enough. This is much better than the alternative.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page